Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Last of Us

Discussion in 'The Last of Us News' started by lastcat3, Aug 1, 2021.

1. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

They have started filming the Last of Us series now. Here is a video someone uploaded on youtube about what the set looks like. There are other videos out there that show more details to the set but since this isn't an official Last of Us site I will just post a video that just gives a vague overview of what the set looks like. Anybody who has played the game or watched the cutscenes can pretty much tell what part of the story they are filming with this set.

2. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I played the original Last of Us game. I'm guessing that's filming for "Bill's Town?"

3. lastcat3

Possible but more likely it is the opening sequence of the game when the outbreak begins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stealth

Oh yeah, of course. I'm probably moving too far ahead particularly since it's the beginning of filming. I wasn't even thinking of the opening sequence. The conclusion of Bill's Town might be more like the ending of Season 1 as they start out west.

5. lastcat3

It will be interesting to see just how much of the game season 1 covers. It was only about a 12 to 15 hour long game ( 20 hours if you really took your time) so ten 45 minute to hour long episodes could easily cover most all the game when taking out all the gameplay sequences.

I'm not really sure what the plans are regarding season 1 if they plan on covering the first game all in one season or not. There was about a five year timeskip between the first game and the second and they never really touched much on what happened during those five years. So the show could cover the first game all in one season and then create some additional conflicts for another season or two before they get into Last of Us 2. Allowing Bella Ramsey to age up a bit as well as introducing some of the characters that were in the second game but not in the first.

6. Stealth

I think you could easily get 3 seasons out of the first game.

Season 1: Outbreak and Boston. The Tess stuff would be a major plot point too. You end with them on the road after leaving Bill's Town.

Season 2: Pittsburgh. Henry and Sam can be expanded on a lot. Also interesting dynamics there when they're trying to escape the city, and then reuniting with them. It ends with Joel and Ellie reaching Tommy in Jackson Wyoming

Season 3: Everything through the resolution in Colorado. You can expand on the David stuff a lot too.

I haven't played the second game, but I imagine depending how it goes you could get 5 or 6 seasons total here, and as you said Bella Ramsey would further mature into the role.

7. lastcat3

Here is the teaser trailer

You can definitely tell the difference between HBO making a zombie apocalypse show and AMC making one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stealth

I love how the feel of the game seeps through too at points. It's a small thing, but always an encouraging sign that the creators are going to pay attention to other small details as well.

I'm guessing we'll see the premiere in the spring. This is going to be good.

9. Stealth

The Last of Us is coming earlier than expected in 2023. HBO set the premiere date as Sunday January 15th. @lastcat3

10. lastcat3

Yep. Looking forward to it. Hopefully it will be a bit of fresh air for those of us who have grown disenchanted with TWD over the past few seasons. HBO seems pretty confident in it.

If the show indeed becomes as popular as many people think it will perhaps they can add a Last of Us section to this site. Maybe get a little more traffic here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Stealth

I agree, that's a good idea, to add a permanent Last of Us section to the board since it's in the same genre as Walking Dead. @HarleyQuinn

I'm excited to see Pedro Pascal as Joel. I think he's going to help make the show the next big thing for HBO.

I was surprised they released it so soon. I was expecting a spring or summer premiere. My guess is that they want to settle House of the Dragon into the old Game of Thrones spring time slot, and we'll next see House of the Dragon in April or May of 2024. They don't start filming season 2 until March.

12. Stealth

Trailer 2 has dropped and it's spectacular. @lastcat3

My one concern coming in was Bella Ramsey as Ellie, and from what I see of her here, she looks great in the role. I'm ready for this. I think it's going to be amazing. You can tell how well they filmed it here too. Wow.

13. lastcat3

Yep I posted the trailer in the thread we had been talking in earlier. I thought the trailer was really good as well. It gave people an idea of what the story would be about even if they hadn't ever played the game.

And yep Bella seems like she will fit the role just fine based on this trailer. I was curious to see what her English accent would sound like because all I have ever seen her in is her talking in her natural British accent.

I know you chose not to play the second game due to hearing some things about it but not sure if you saw the 'Take on Me' clips from the second game. I've heard some people who aren't familiar with the games wondering why they chose that song and that's why they included it.

If they do choose to adapt part 2 as well I think they should probably introduce some of those characters from part 2 at the end of the first season. If they had introduced Abby at the end of the first game people probably wouldn't view the second game as being as divisive as it is. I understand why they didn't because at that time they didn't even know yet that they were going to do a second game. But now that they have all that additional content they now have the ability to bring in those characters a little more naturally instead of having them come in out of nowhere like they did for the second game.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stealth

I hadn't seen the Take on Me clips previously, but after you mentioned it I checked and now I get it. Even without that I thought the song fit surprisingly well into the trailer.

From what I saw I'm guessing this season is going to end with the conclusion of the David storyline. I think that was the shot of the guy with the hatchet over Ellie? That covers a bit more ground than I thought they would. Maybe they'll introduce the part 2 characters in Season 2, since we're going to have Tess, Bill, Henry etc. I read they're going to be adding some in between story as well.

The other thing about Bella is that even aside from the accent, her role on Game of Thrones was more limited where she didn't get to show much range. It was almost as if the clips they showed here were to dispel any doubts. The one with her joking around that she was a Clicker really sold me. It had a real Ellie feel to it.

15. lastcat3

It will be interesting to see if they adapt the entire game during season 1 or save part of it for season 2. I have a feeling they will adapt the entirety of it just because they would want a complete story for the first season but we will see. The first game isn't nearly as long as the second so they could in nine or ten episodes if they wanted to.

Also will be interesting to see what HBO does with this franchise if it indeed becomes as popular as we think it might (and how popular TWD once was shows that there definitely is an audience for it within the tv format). We know that they won't be afraid to spin things off as they are already doing that with Game of Thrones. I'm sure though if they do do spin offs more thought will be put into it than there was with TWD.

16. Stealth

It looks like they're going to show the initial outbreak with Joel's early story too. Not sure if that's going to be the opening scene of the show or if they'll intersperse it with flashbacks. I think it works best as an opener, but we'll see what they do.

17. lastcat3

@Stealth here is an article where Druckman says the tv show is only going to shoe 'essential violence'.

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-last-of-us-series-violence-neil-druckmann-sfx/

Makes complete sense for the tv show medium as a lot of the violence in the games were indeed done for gameplay purposes. As I said on another site it would be a little silly for the characters in the tv show to go into a building and take out a dozen clickers or runners like they did in the game.

I imagine most of the violence in the show will be human vs human and the zombie creatures they will largely try to avoid (with the exception of a small handful of occasions where they can't get out of a jam).

That's one thing that Walking Dead did is that they turned the characters a little too much into killing machines.

It does look like they are going to try to keep this show far more grounded than TWD ever was (even before TWD started falling a part they would still have zombies practically come out of every corner).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Stealth

Sounds good. Yeah they got out of control with the killing of zombies particularly in the later seasons. I think they should've had a select few that were assassin types. Michonne could've been one with the way she could wield her katana and then those with law enforcement training like Rick and Shane. You had very average people who could cut through a whole band of walkers, and it wasn't believable that it didn't come with a consequence. The No Way Out episode really descended into that abyss too where they cleared out Alexandria as they did, after it was overrun.

I think it also makes it more interesting when you have those select few that protect most of the others etc. Not everyone is a soldier type.

19. Stealth

The reviews of the Last of Us have been glowing. HBO sent out an advanced copy of the entire season to reviewers and so far it's been unanimously positive. I thought they were going to split up the first game into two seasons, but from what I read that's not the case. They covered all the events in the first game.

I think this is going to make Season 2 problematic for many people, but Season 1 appears to be excellent.

20. lastcat3

Yep it is currently holding a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes which is mighty impressive considering they are reviewing the entire first season and not just the premiere.

Yeah it will be interesting to see if they will jump right into game 2 for season 2. If they do I imagine they will set the characters from the second game up during the first season. If those characters happened to be in the first game I don't think there would have been as much of a negative reaction as there was. It was the fact that a lot of people felt those characters came out of nowhere which made it difficult for some to accept them.

We'll see. I know that the Jackson section is one of the parts of the story that they will be expanding upon so wouldn't surprise me if those characters make a cameo during season 1.

Will be interesting to see.