Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Pacing Issues Catch up in Episode 8

Discussion in 'Episode 8 - When We Are in Need' started by Stealth, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Just realized they formed a thread for the series last month. Didn't notice it until now.

The David story really deserved a full two episodes. It all felt too rushed, and I thought leaving out the fight scene where Ellie and David team up, took out some of his motivation in becoming fixated on her.

Now that show is almost over, some of the other creative decisions they made early on loom larger as we rush to the finish line.

While the Bill and Frank episode was well written, if you take that one out, it does nothing to impact Joel and Ellie's story. It was wasted time. Then we had Episode 4, which was short, but with a focus on the KC group that was unnecessary. Even the Ellie centered episode with Riley I thought should've been told in flashbacks, while Ellie did stuff to try and get supplies and help for Joel.

The finale is only 43 minutes long. I'm really perplexed about why they focused on some irrelevant things this season when they only had 9 episodes.

2. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

You very well may appreciate the pacing of the second and third seasons (which will be adapting the second game) more than you have the pacing of the first season. The story of the second game is focused on just a couple different locations and Mazin has already stated that they plan on splitting the second game up into multiple seasons. THe first game is very much another retelling of 'The Road' where the characters moving on from one place to another is a part of the story. I'm sure if they knew the show was going to be as successful as it has turned out to be they would have spent more time on each location during the adaption of the first game but in context I can see why they didn't. They would have wanted to get as complete of a story as possible for that initial season and I doubt HBO was willing to make each episode an hour and a half. Even though the David section was a lot of people's favorite part of the game I doubt spending close to two hours on a pedophile cannibal would have been a real good idea when there is no gameplay to go through.

I know you heard some things about the second game that you didn't like but a lot of those leaks were either highly exaggerated or outright false. Though there were people who didn't like the second game due to a couple story directions that were taken (and let's face it most of it came down to one specific plot point that people were up in arms about) there also were a lot of people who really liked the second game. It broke the record for the most awards won and even broke the record for the most viewer choice awards. So you very well may like the story even though you heard some things about it you didn't like.

3. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I might've mentioned this before here, but I think the course the second game took is easier to portray in a TV series if they play their cards right. A game is more immersive when you play as Joel and Ellie.

From what I've read my main issue with the second game is not the big early event that happens, but another character basically ends the story broken. Keeping it vague for spoilers if anyone happens along and finds this.

The bigger thing for me, is that if you want to take a message that violence, revenge etc is bad, then you should have a game where your choices can take you the other way. That I think would be brilliant, if with other playthroughs you could have different outcomes, like in the Witcher 3.

Druckman makes you kill everything in sight and then says, this is bad. Well, maybe I wouldn't have killed a particular person but the game gives me no choice but to do it to advance. So those are the reasons I wouldn't want to play it, but I agree it could be done well in a series.

I think the only bad episode this season was # 4. The problem is that they don't all really flow or interconnect that well. Episode 3 is probably the best written of them all, but it's stands on its own and isn't a part of Joel and Ellie's journey in this series, but they spent over one hour on it for some reason.

So, I wouldn't be as critical of the pacing if they weren't taking too much time on inconsequential things. It's a creative choice problem that then impacts the pacing.

The Walking Dead drove me crazy with the bottle episodes, but that was largely because they were trying to fill out a (too long) 16 episode season. Here when there is story to tell and expand upon, it's a bit more egregious.

It aggravates me because the set design, cinematography and most of the acting (minus the cringe KC group) is excellent.

The pacing of House of the Dragon bothered me a little bit, but not to this extent. The one thing that irritated me there was that we didn't get more background on Rhaenyra/Harwin and Daemon/Laena. They were introduced and killed off in the same episode. That was the worst point of the season for me. But I give them more space in it all because all of those time skips aren't easy to navigate. The Last of Us though is a linear story that they made into a zigzag at points, when it wasn't needed.