Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Mediocre Season Ends

Discussion in 'Episode 9 - Look for the Light' started by Stealth, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I was hoping for a bit of redemption in the hospital scene, because that's what we were racing toward. Then it finally arrives and they make more lackluster creative choices. The decision to go with music and a montage of Joel's kills took me right out that scene. It was a wet blanket over the intensity and suspense.

I think if they took the same inspiration and emotion that we saw in Episode 3 with Bill and Frank, and the compact suspenseful delivery we saw in Episode 5 then this could've been a great series. Aside from those two episodes everything else was largely mediocre, with the exception of # 4 which just all around bad.

The game is far superior to the show, and the adaptation is okay, but rarely showed true inspiration. The production was mostly top notch, along with the acting, but the storytelling, cohesiveness and pacing were poor.

Episode 9 left me feeling that I don't want to continue in Season 2. The world the TV series created isn't very believable to me. The lack of infected was a gross miscalculation, it makes the show feel like The Last of Us Lite.

2. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Well we'll probably just need to agree to disagree on the quality of the show. I think the story of the show is far superior to that of the game. It expanded on the story in many many ways. If I ever tried to go through the story of the game again after this it would probably feel a lot thinner than it did prior to the show coming out. The only thing the game would be good for after this point is for gameplay purposes and I don't really care much about gameplay (and am not really much of a gamer in general and I just went through the game strictly for the story).

And though I agree there could have been one or two more zombie encounters at the same time though I far prefer it being this way than the joke of a series TWD turned into where comic book cut out characters were fighting zombies coming out of every corner of your screen. The characters in Last of Us feel like real people. And based on the viewership numbers this show developed over the course of the season it looks like it was the right decision. After last weeks episode HBO announced that the episodes were averaging almost 30m viewers. It's pretty clear at this point that people never got tired of the survival horror genre. They just got tired of Walking Dead. I would take better developed characters over an increase in zombie attacks any day as the zombies were the thing I was interested in the least as a TWD viewer.

And I definitely am excited for season 2. The second game has a lot deeper story than the first game did and there are many things that they can expand on even more with the tv show (and they have officially said now that it will cover multiple seasons)

3. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Reports just came out today from Hollywood Reporter that the average viewership for the season was higher than House of Dragons

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/the-last-of-us-season-1-finale-ratings-1235351440/

The decisions that they made for this show definitely were the correct ones. I realize that the direction Last of Us took definitely isn't going to be for everyone as it isn't the same type of zombie show that people started watching in 2010. However the type of zombie show that people were watching in 2010 does seem to be what viewers overall were getting tired of.

With the second game being split into multiple seasons I would expect a few more 'infected' encounters but if season 1 built that type of audience with zombie encounters that were pretty sparse I wouldn't change that too much for following seasons.

4. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

TWD should've ended their story when they reached Alexandria. There were problems prior to that, but it's at that point where the show really began to descend. There was that ridiculous fight, after Carl was shot in the eye, where they cleared the whole town of walkers. Then they really began to inject filler like the ridiculous Wolves group. Too many shows don't know when to stop. Dexter had the same problem.

Having seen so many shows crash and burn I have less tolerance for a lot of the stuff that I've given a pass to previously. I remember thinking well, they're not doing Lady Stoneheart or Aegon (supposedly Rhaegar's surviving son) on Game of Thrones but the first four seasons were so good that I'll give them a pass on telling their adaptation. When they made Dorne a farce in Season 5 I felt it was cringe but let it go too.

Another thing for me personally is the ability to immerse in a show, when things occure that remove me from that world I become even more critical of it. First time that happened to me with The Last of the Us was the zombie kiss scene.

The Netflix series Alice in Borderland is much more immersive for me, and that's even a Japanese language show with the English voiceovers.

It's all subjective though, some things work for people and others it doesn't. Some like Andor better than the Mandalorian. And while I think Andor is the best written Star Wars series, I prefer the Mandalorian over it.

5. avensis

avensis New Member

I find that the series respected the game very well and no choice was badly made.

#5 avensis, Jul 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2023