Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

My thoughts...

Discussion in 'Volume 1: Days Gone Bye' started by asdf1234, Nov 11, 2013.

1. asdf1234

asdf1234 New Member

This trade was awesome, it was fast paced and great.

I didn't mind the rate at which Rick adjusted to the apocalypse, even if it WAS *slightly* unrealistic (don't bash me on this)

But it was a great start, and I miss Moore's art, even if Adlard's is gritty and awesome.

Pro's: Emotional start with fast paced action. Great main characters, including Morgan who was only in #1 (as of this trade at least). Great cliffhanger. Spooky apocalyptic feel, uses of shadows in artwork.

Cons: Undeveloped "Backround" characters (later trades improve on this in my opinion). Some of the deaths (I'm not spoiling) don't mean anything for me, but I only care for the people who have a connection to these people. A little too fast paced with one characters story line as his could have been drawn out a little longer.

But overall: Great in scares, foreboding tension etc. I really cared about Rick.

What are your thoughts on my thoughts?

2. Alec96

Alec96 Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with you. I started reading the comic late, just know it starts to get super good in my opinion once they leave the prison. Love the comics, but personally enjoy the show more for numerous different reasons. How would you compare what you read to say the first couple episodes of the series?

3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Vol.#1 is too far paced, but I'll cut Robert Kirkman some slack, because he had no guarantee the book would continue.

The artwork is great though. I like Tony Moore's artwork better than Charlie Adlard's. No offense, you follow me?

4. asdf1234

asdf1234 New Member

Yeah, I follow you! Hah, now who does that remind me of.
    I actually prefer Moore's artwork to Adlards as it is more stylistic. Adlards is quite rough, especially in HIS first volume (which is volume 2). But I suppose its okay to say that he gets into it, although he didn't transition well.
    I'm glad they kept Moore for some of the covers at least.
    What I don't get is: Why did they have to change him in the first place? Why only have him do covers?

Ah well. I can understand Kirkman's concern that it wouldn't catch on, but it did, and I'm greatful. But it was a little jarring, seeing all this happen unnaturally fast.

• Like Like x 1
  5. asdf1234

asdf1234 New Member

But, I suppose Volume 1 is pretty much season one in the tv series (put aside all the things that didn't happen).
    Apart from the fact that

I think I ultimately prefer the comics to the show, although I prefer season one to the FIRST volume of the walking dead, because it's better paced and it works better. In later season's they do the opposite and drag things out in my opinion.

I still like the show though.

6. Ricky

Ricky Member

I know this is an old thread but What you've described here are my exact thoughts on Vol. 1.

I've been watching the show for a while now and have recently decided to get into the comic series. I finished Volume 1 last night and already I'm completely hooked on the series. It was a fantastic introduction Rick and the post apocalyptic world.

About to start volume 2 now, can't wait for more!