Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

1001 - Lines We Cross rating thread

Discussion in 'Episode 1001 - Lines We Cross' started by Dnae, Sep 29, 2019.

?

Well what numerical value do you give the season premier?

1. 10 - the perfect 10 to start season 10

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. 9

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. 8 - Not perfect, but damn close

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. 7

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

TWD is back kids!!

What a welcome relief it was to watch this episode

I love that Angela Kang does not feel obliged to follow the "rules" that premiers and finales have to be these gargantuan pieces of celluloid.

It was a solid episode that has set the tone for the season. We see the new characters from season 9 as contributing members of the communities

More after October 6

For now I will say that this episode was an 8 for me.

Kang's writing style is refreshing, clear and concise. She knows where these characters have been and she knows where these characters are going.

Yep, an 8 for me

• Like Like x 6
  2. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Spoiler free, it's a 10. I graded this on a curve due to coming off FTWD. But it's a great episode, I don't think there was a weak segment in the episode. Even each commercial break was perfectly placed.

• Like Like x 5
  3. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

9 for me. Just to leave some room for scoring the ultimate perfection. Pretty good though. Picking up the quality of storytelling very nicely from the end of last season. More after 6 Oct. :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. VenomGA

VenomGA Well-Known Member

hey I just like I am seeing positive ratings for the show after we kept giving the last episodes of FtWD negative numbers LOL

• Like Like x 1
  5. BlackBird

Well... This is The Mother Ship. ;)

6. VenomGA

VenomGA Well-Known Member

yes but Gimple is over all of it...sigh

7. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I'll rate it officially after my second viewing, but I thought it was a very good episode. They juggled the ensemble cast very well, and did just the right amount of comic relief balanced with intensity. I like that they are developing Siddiq's aftermath. Tentatively, I'll say 9.2.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BlackBird

Yay! Finally we can talk about it! Reasons for 9/10:

This was a gift basket for the fans with shiny sprinkles, delicious shivers, hugely satiating action sequences and heartwarming moments with our beloved characters. All gelled together brilliantly.

Favourite things:

The chaptered multi-perspective story-telling.

Judith's face when she saw the mask amongst the pebbles and her story about the Brave Man
    Aaron channeling the Brave Man
    Daryl telling Michonne that the Brave Man would have loved this boot camp vacation at Oceanside
    Grimes family group hug (with Brave Man in their hearts)

(@Dnae, what do you mean there wasn't enough Rick in this episode? :p )

+

Daryl and Carol just hanging out without major drama (sure major drama is coming)
    Daryl having actual conversations
    Down time
    Fun even
    Making jokes again, shocking

Daryl having an adorably awkward and cute crush, learning sign language for Connie
    (So basically, Daryl:))

+

Kelly raising her eyebrows at Connie, because she *knows* what's going on with these two
    And the shocking and heartbreaking twist of Kelly losing her hearing too - the conversation between the sisters, such a beautiful bond

+

Last but not least: The best ever cliffhanger with the Carol/Alpha stare-down (Alpha should be putting his shitting pants on pronto)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Good premiere. Kang continues to do a great job. I really like the way she films the episodes. Even though we had numerous communities, Gimple's world felt so much more confined. The different angles and shots that Kang gives us draws you into the story more. A good example was the overhead view as they were riding off in different directions. The show feels more "alive" with her direction.

The one complaint I had was the stare down at the end between Carol and Alpha. It wasn't needed and felt a bit contrived. Aside from that though, strong setup episode.

10. BlackBird

Oh, funny, I really loved that! It was a bit contrived, true, but still so satiating, I forgive it. It was fun to do it non-verbally.I think it was very much needed to get these two women together right at the start, to set up their ongoing battle for this season. One that Carol will no doubt win in the end, but at what cost?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

My love for TWD is all but gone, but I gave the S10 premiere a chance.

Here are my likes:

I loved the Caryl scenes. :D

I liked the "Training Day" scene with the phalanx vs. the herd.

I liked Negan's and Lydia's scene; Lydia's staff weapon was cool (new signature weapon).

I laughed when Carol gave Ezekiel the cold shoulder. Ha ha!! :D

I liked Magna and Yumiko contributing to the group. In the comics they just kept the background from falling on the floor.

Now for my dislikes:

I didn't like the title's to each segement; they reminded me of Gimple's artistic shit. :mad:

I didn't like Rosita exercising all day while Eugene takes care of the baby.

I didn't like Dante, but I think we're not supposed to like him anyway.

I didn't like Eugene pleading for time to scavenge a Soviet Era satellite. How is decades old technology going to help the communities?

I didn't like the return of CGI Deer. :eek:

I realized Daryl wasn't carrying his crossbow in some scenes. Was this a homage to S5 Rick when he stopped carrying his gun because he wanted to stop being the leader and become a farmer?

Overall, I gave the S10 premiere a 7.

#11 Rapscallion, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I thought it was a solid episode. It set up all the action we can expect to see this season nicely. I really liked the Daryl/Carol scenes. I didn't really care for the 'training' part of the episode, it seemed a little silly. Didn't like the new guy who worked in the clinic either.

I gave it a 7.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I'll give it a 9. I love how the invisible threat of the Whisperers makes everything feel so creepy, like someone may or may not be watching them at every moment. You can tell they are always on edge over it...it's a different type of threat that we haven't really seen before. A lot of psychological stuff as opposed to just straight up brutality. We saw that with Siddiq too, and his PTSD.

I also enjoyed the dialogue between Negan & Lydia... and once again, Daryl had actual dialogue too! I like this little romance a-brewin' between him and Connie. He had a sign language book in his back pocket, *swoon*.

The beginning was neat, seeing them in formation with their spiky shields... it had a very 300 vibe to it and was a cool way to re-introduce the characters this season.

I agree with Dnae and I don't think a season premiere has to be shocking and packed full of suspense all the time. It just has to set up the season well, which I think this did!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I agree with both of you. I actually don't want the biggest moments happening in the premieres and finales. I like it better when the story simply progresses each episode with the big moments sprinkled in random places, as long as they serve the story.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  18. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

I loved this episode. After coming off the season finale for FTWD last week, I felt like Dorothy landing in Oz. No ridiculous filters!
    The opening scene was amazing. Kudos to Nicotero.
    Loved all of the character interactions.
    Judith. She's amazing.
    Lydia. I really feel bad for her, getting treated the way she does. There are ex-saviors in that group that are treated better than she is. I know that a lot of time has passed between then and now, so I guess they've proved themselves worthy of trust. But it's not as if being a Whisperer was her choice. And she immediately warned them after seeing Alpha at the fair. She is not on her Mother's side in this and technically had nothing to do with the pike scene. Excepting the fact that Alpha chose Henry to die to punish her daughter. But it was Henry who went to great extremes to bring her into the fold. She didn't ask him to do that. She asked him to back off so as not to cause more problems and violence between the groups and Alpha.
    Aaron. I love his new outlook. As long as it doesn't take him over completely. I would hate to see him lose the kind and loving parts of his personality. I think that having a daughter to love and protect may keep him balanced. I hope. He admitted to Michonne that she was right about his actions on the bridge.
    Negan. I hated him for what he did to one of my favorite characters, but I can't help but like him now. That kid who was guarding him called him "sir". That was funny. I hope Negan is the one to take out Beta...even better... Daryl and Negan.
    Daryl and Connie as a couple? I think they're heading that way and I love it! I love that he's talking more now and protecting Lydia.
    The scenes with him and Carol were great.
    Rosita. She annnoys me. Always has. And she appears to be using Eugene's feelings for her. Again. There's her, Gabriel and Siddiq who are all invested in this child. Why is Eugene doing so much of the work?
    That stare down at the end between Carol and Alpha was awesome. That was the first time they ever laid eyes on one another, right? I really hope it's the beginning of Carol taking her out. It's got to be Carol.
    I give it a 9. The perfect setup for the rest of the season.
    I can't wait to see more.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Staying strong at 92% with 24 reviews on rotten tomatoes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Ok, I gave it a 8, mostly because after FTWD, I had some doubts we could come back to anything remotely satisfying with this universe. It still had some flaws.

The training was kind of dumb and I hope we don't have to see these type of choreographies in real fight situations.
    Some of the dialogue was forced ("are we the bad guys?" yuck).
    I can't stand Eugene, and I don't know if it's only the character (which is pretty bad), or mostly McDermitt (a terrible actor). Judith isn't that good either.
    I think the whole Rosita's foursome situation is going to be cringeworthy.
    And the worst thing for me was the axe throwing to take the tree down. Reminded me of the San Antonio Split.......

The structure was okay - didn't really contribute to the episode, but was still nicely handled, so no beef with that. I do hope though that if we stick with that, it turns out to be significant and not just some silly gimmick like we've had in FTWD.

Still, 8/10. Nice character-driven episode with (mostly) interesting interactions. A well-managed feeling of threat. Best part of this episode was Negan, understanding he is still responsible for the group's trauma and not wanting to be associated with this new threat. I like how they're writing him right now. I still think it makes no sense they kept him alive with them, but they're making the best of it, making us want him to be more involved.

Most of all, they managed to make me forgive and forget the FTWD season with a single episode. I'm ready for more!

• Like Like x 2