Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[1002] Rate the End of the World....at the end of the episode

Discussion in 'Episode 1002 - We Are the End of the World' started by Dnae, Oct 11, 2019.

?

Your inner Alpha takes over, how do you rate this episode

1. 10 A perfect episode for the end of the world

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. 8 Such a great episode I may just wash my underwear this week

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6 That was so good I may wash the dirt from my face

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. 5 It was okay but nothing to remove your mask over

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3 Needed work - it's so difficult to create a cult w/ an original mission statement

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 It was so bad I was hoping for another satellite to plummet to earth and land on me

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Channel your inner Alpha (oh come on we all have that little dark place within where our inner Alpha lives!!)

Anyway channel the queen of creepiness herself and rate this episode

2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I watched the episode Friday evening.

There was just so much to process

So I watched it again Saturday afternoon with the intention of jotting down a few notes of likes, loves and dislikes.

Before I knew it my so called notes resembled something more along the lines of a short story :p

Honestly there is just so much packed into this one episode that it deserves at least one re-watch. And I am fairly certain that I will watch it a third time later in the week.

Of course I will not give anything away in this posting. It is still just under 12 hours until the episode is live - and I do not want to give anything away.

It is pretty well known that I fangirl hard over Samantha Morton and Alpha. And she delivers in this episode. I do not know what on earth brought the idea of Ms Morton to the casting table as a possible option for Alpha but I thank whatever gods might have played a hand because DAYUM. Seriously.....DAYUM.

It was not a perfect episode, though of course SM was perfect :D. It did have a few hiccups but the greatness far outweighs the missteps.

I am going with an 8.5 for this episode

I will post bits and pieces of my novella after the episode airs tonight. Looking forward to the discussions from this epi

• Like Like x 1
  3. blundig

blundig Member

Not merely the worst WD show I ever saw, perhaps the worst show I ever saw. Every influence and motive was so predictable to begin with, in addition to being mentioned or strongly hinted at in prior episodes, that watching it was stultifying. The lines were trite and hackneyed. We already knew they were insane degenerates.
    Alpha is such a non-credible fool she should be ridiculed. My wife is a literary agent who is not a watcher of the show. She found it hard to believe Alpha was not a campy joke.
    Used to love the show.

#3 blundig, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Pretty dark episode, which I like to see occasionally. Not as good as the premiere, but it definitely fleshed out Alpha and Beta a little more for me as people, and I now feel like a care a bit more about seeing them come into conflict with our familiar good guys.

8.2 for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. naossano

naossano Member

With such a philosophy to share, Alpha should definitely leave some videotape in the forest, explaining how she can help people.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

**** I hate the Whisperers. The only scene worth keeping in this was the sister sacrifice to save Alpha. Everything else was crap. And the dialogues between A and B are pure trash, it's as clownish as the garbage people's dialect. I know you can't expect a narrative about zombies to be realistic, but TWD usually manages to keep some decent level of realism - the Whisperers, on the other hand, are not only absolutely absurd, all of these characters are caricatural to a point they're ridiculous.

Edit: I gave it a 3/10 because I feel generous, but it's probably really a 2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I was disappointed with this episode, and agree with @NakedCity on most of his post, though I didn't like the sisters' story at all, it was totally unrealistic to me.

There were some fantastic moments from Samantha Morton in the second half of the episode, in the present day story, that pulled up my score to a generous 5, but otherwise I was really unimpressed. They totally skirted round my most important questions about this group, and most of the very basic backstory they provided was just too contrived and didn't feel organic (forgive the pun) at all. It didn't satisfy my curiosity about why the hell such a big group of people would actually follow these two lunatics, and by the end of the episode I also decided I didn't even care any more. It's all just too weird, reaching garbage people levels. The only believable part was that some of them actually want out of this miserable existence and live like humans. Saving grace of the episode is Samantha Morton's awesomeness and Alpha's inner conflict over Lydia.

8. Gick Rrimes

Gick Rrimes New Member

I guess if you are a reader of the comics then you could enjoy this this episode but i didn't enjoy it. We need a back story of Neegen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I liked the flashbacks more than the current time of this episode. Honestly any time they show how the Whisperers live it makes them seem so much more unrealistic and silly. At least we finally heard a whisperer hint about leaving and wanting a normal life. The way these people live is just dumb and the less we focus on it the better.

Although I really like Samantha in this role. She's a lot of fun to watch.

• Like Like x 3
  10. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

I enjoyed getting a bit of back story on Alpha and Beta. Poor Lydia. It's amazing that she isn't even more broken or damaged than she is.
    Samantha Morton is incredible. And Alpha has more dimensions to her than I had thought. She still has Lydia's bunny, for one. And what she built in the woods. It seems like she has an internal war going on inside her over her daughter.
    I don't trust Gamma. I'm not sure why. Just the way she said certain things left me wondering if she's really on board with this Whisperer way or if she has another agenda? Maybe it's just me, but there's something off about her. A different kind of off than Alpha and Beta.
    Interesting and not surprising to hear there are others in the group who want to leave now that they've seen how they could be living. This never occurred to them before? They must have come upon other working communities with all of the traveling that they do. I wonder what percentage feels that way and how that will affect things to come.
    I suppose I'd give it a 7/8. Mostly because of Alpha. She's so disturbing. I know some find her to be a silly villain, but she scares the hell out of me.
    Looking forward to next week when I assume they'll be some confrontation between the groups, now that they know their borders have been crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

94% so far on Rottentomatoes based on 17 reviews.

12. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Oh I agree, not realistic at all. Alpha and Beta somehow managed to find a whole society of seriously retarded people to surround themselves with. Still, the scene where Gamma pushes her sister to feed the zombies was the only point in the episode where I felt they actually wrote something interesting. And it certainly built Gamma's character as another dangerous lunatic. Now they're three, surrounded by a huge bunch of intellectually challenged monkeys.

No, please no. No more backstory. We just need to follow the group and get rid of the Whisperers ASAP. Maybe get Maggie back to get them beheading her first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. walkon

walkon Active Member

Worse episode ever for me. . . Sick, twisted, and unsettling. Left me wondering how the Whispers could get so many followers. The only redeeming quality was that it's unbelievable comic side was almost equal to it's twistness.

14. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

My feelings on this episode can be summed up with: Sometimes it's better to keep things a mystery.

Alpha's backstory last year with her husband and Lydia at the start of the apocalypse was enough. This episode just peeled the onion too much and it didn't feel right to me. It also sapped a bit of the menacing nature of the Whisperers away. The whole Gamma thing wasn't needed and it weakened the group for me.

I assume their intention was to humanize the Whisperers a bit, but that doesn't really work in this story. We already know that deep down Alpha cares about Lydia anyway. She didn't kill her and then lied about it, so there was no need to see all of her angst. Just leave it on the backburner and move on.

Samantha Morton kept this episode afloat, otherwise it would've been a disaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Well, after watching the end that I accidentally fell asleep on Sunday night (I had a hard weekend, I wasn't bored lol).....
    I give this episode a solid 8.5. WOW that last segment was amazing. Samantha Morton knocked it out of the park with her needed outward fit about losing her daughter. And Alpha and Beta's chemistry is so .....almost sexy creepy. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

A blip from a Q&A with Ryan Hurst....thought it was appropriate to share with you since you picked upon the sexy creepy vibe LOL (BTW the Q&A is posted in its own thread)

Q: How would you describe the dynamic between Alpha and Beta? How have you enjoyed building it with Samantha Morton?
    A: We built it together, but we wanted to make it unique. We didn’t want Beta to be too submissive. We came up with this relationship that felt very carnal without being sexual. It comes off as very strange, very intimate, but not sexual. I feel like we landed that really well. It’s this passion between the two of them that’s very primal and tangible, but at the same time it’s completely co-dependent. You’re weirded out when you’re watching it. Why are these people touching each other and talking this way? [Laughs]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

He nailed it and they nail it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I'm glad I didn't know ahead of time that the episode would be 100% whisperer because I may have put off watching it! :cool: I actually found myself pretty invested despite the fact... and i do think if they are going to be around for a while, it is important for us to have a more extensive back story on them. Otherwise they are just a bunch of weirdos in walker faces. Samantha Morton is killin' it with the creep factor.

I'm very curious why they won't show Beta's face.

Hmm... I'll give this one an 8! Not too shabby.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhhh I dont want to think about them nailing it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3