Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

1112 Rate and Discuss

Discussion in 'Episode 1112 - The Lucky Ones' started by BlackBird, Mar 7, 2022.

1. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

Early start for The Lucky Ones - who've already seen the episode.

But... did they like it?

2. BlackBird

Well, I loved it. 10/10. Favourite episode of 11B so far. Just brilliant. More later.
    @Stealth, I think you might be able to watch this one in one sitting! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Lol maybe. However you have also been pretty positive about these last couple seasons overall so we will just have to wait and see what he thinks.

Last of Us can't get here soon enough.

4. BlackBird

That's true. I am positive, and look for the good in the show, because I love it, and I want to see it out and still love the way it ends, as much as I loved how it all began. I'm rooting for it, if you like.

It doesn't mean that I like everything, and that I haven't had issues with the show along the way. But I love its essence, I love the main characters, and I really enjoyed a lot of the themes the show has touched upon.

5. lastcat3

Understandable. To be honest though I only feel that way about IP's that I grew up with and I think many hold that same opinion. Which is why something like Marvel or Star Wars can go through some rough patches and still be perfectly fine. While the TWD IP has pretty much fallen off a cliff and likely won't be around anymore five years from now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. VenomGA

VenomGA Well-Known Member

it was just ok for me. Maybe 5 out of 10

7. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

It's interesting that you bring up those two franchises because I think that's what AMC had in mind to some degree when they began to expand TWD. Marvel is the most resilient of the two because you can always recast characters or focus on new superheroes. If something fails you can try something new. The third trilogy hurt Star Wars a bit but they rebounded with the Mandalorian.

Putting aside the diminished quality of TWD in later seasons, they also suffered from very poor planning. If they wanted to expand the universe they needed to end the original TWD sooner, rather than later. They rushed Fear out to capitalize on the popularity of the show at the time, but it didn't offer anything new and served to further dilute the franchise.

There are bad decisions and grossly incompetent ones. TWD falls into the latter category. You have a show based around a father and son, and then you kill off the son. I can't be sure, but I think the ending of that story made it easier for Andrew Lincoln to finally leave. Great work Gimple.

It'll be interesting to see what HBO does with House of the Dragon. They're trying to build another universe in George RR Martin's world. What hurts them the most is the final season of Game of Thrones is seen as one of the worst ever. The early seasons were excellent, but fans are unforgiving. The odds are against them, but they at least have an outside chance if they make a big splash with the new show. They've been much smarter than AMC and that clown Gimple.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

It was okay. It made me dislike Lance a bit more. And question Mercer’s loyalty
    6/10

The truth is out there

9. lastcat3

It will also be interesting to see how HBO handles Last of Us if that series takes off and proves to be every bit as popular as TWD once was. Will they just adapt the games and that's it. Or will they create spin off series as well that are set in the Last of Us universe.

10. BlackBird

This.

Much as some loyal fans still watch the show and will see it out… TWD is simply no longer the show we have originally signed up for. A man looking for his family then finding his family in the apocalypse … and then their journey of making a life for themselves. One thing is to kill the mother. But then surely we should have had no more deaths within this family unit. And Rick should have never disappeared. If Andrew wanted to leave, they should have rounded things off with his departure and Carl still alive. End of TWD / wherever they’d gotten to. The end of the Saviors would have been a perfect place to stop, with the 4 communities building and working together. An upbeat neat finish.

Then spin-offs could have followed, either based on the comics or not.

• Like Like x 2
  11. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I thought the episode was interesting. I’m not sure what Lance’s ultimate goal is here in trying to make our three communities satellites of the Commonwealth. I got the idea that he wanted to set himself up as their defacto leader which wouldn’t make anyone happy in the end but unless he plans on spending a lot of time there they pretty much will act independently….until they’re called upon to repay their debt. But why? Is it to act as buffer zones to make the Commonwealth more secure? Is it an long game attempt on Lance’s part to overthrow Pamela and take over the whole enchilada? Do they want to use our communities to explore and be first contact with other independent groups? I mean it’s a little far into the last season to be attempting that sort of story arc but what do I know? The previews for the next episode would suggest otherwise.

The other thing that puzzled me was Maggie’s refusal to take up the Commonwealth’s offer. Yeah, she’s smart enough to know it’s not all that it seems on the surface but Hill Top could use a little respite. Daryl indicated privately it doesn’t have to be permanent. I think she should have accepted the offer since some of her residents are defecting due to sheer exhaustion.

On a good note, it made me smile to see that Eugene was attempting to mend fences with the real Stephanie aka Max and that she’s starting to warm up to the idea. They look like they’d make the cutest couple.

Oh, and I’m glad that Lance kept his word to Carol and Zeke is getting his much needed surgery! Yay!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stealth

I think HBO will stick to the original series for Last of Us. Hopefully they take a path away from some of the elements of the second game. That's the key to a long running series. Like Carl and Rick, this needs to be a story about Joel and Ellie.

13. Stealth

I got through the episode in part because I fast forwarded through all of the Eugene stuff. I don't have any tolerance for it at this point.

The optics of the show are just terrible now. It's looking a lot like Z Nation. You have suit guy and orange storm trooper walking around. It's surreal. I know it's unintentional by the creators, but it's like Maggie is an extension of the audience in all of this and looking on in disbelief.

The Pamela Milton role was badly miscast. Maybe it's the fault of the makeup people, but she seems like a clone. Maybe Pamela clone was sent by Darth Vader with the Dollar Store storm troopers.

It's annoying that Aaron is working with suit guy, but it's minor in comparison with everything else going on. They're at least giving the illusion that Daryl is compliant with Commonwealth clowns, and that's even more irritating.

The funniest moment was when they all went on a hunt together. Pamela clone even came with a laughable safari hat. Never leave home without it.

Another thing that annoyed me was when Maggie and PC were talking, and Maggie said she learned about leading from Deanna and Georgie. All I could think of was Abe saying "Who's Deanna" and the fact that Georgie was on the show for a cup of coffee. What about Rick Grimes? Dumb writers.

The one positive note for me is that at least Maggie is staying true to character. AMC should tank the other projects and put all their chips on the Maggie and Negan show, because it's the only thing that anyone will remotely want to watch after this is over.

I think they were trying to make suit guy scary when he was shooting up walkers at the end. It was the opposite. It looked cheesy. I guess they're making him out to be Dollar Store Governor now? Who knows. I'm only along now to see how it ends. Increasingly fast forward will be my best friend.

Thanks to Gimple, AMC and anyone else who had a role in ruining this series.

14. BlackBird

Don’t blame you, after last week’s ridiculous fiasco. I was curious though about the explanation behind the swap. I found Max and the dynamic between her and Eugene unexpectedly endearing. I still think the fact Eugene didn’t realise all this time (in fact immediately) that fake Stephanie was fake totally ridiculous and unbelievable and super annoying, but I do like his pairing with Max, and found them entertaining.

Yes, it is. But to be fair, the show’s always been surreal, right from the start, with the zombies. Then we might have accepted the zombies as part of “reality” and the show was ticking away nicely with fairly realistic characters up until we got to the Kingdom. That’s when I was taken back by the unexpected surreal element of Shiva, Ezekiel worshipped, choir practice etc, and just when I adjusted to incorporate a tiger and a king into the “reality” of the show, we got to meet Jadis’ scrapyard circus with that stupid pigeon language they were using. And then the Wolves, the Kids from Hell, the Whisperers, the Reapers (who looked way more scary and surreal initially than they turned out to be), the cannibal creatures Connie and Virgil met, and finally the Commonwealth - all utterly surreal. We can object, but really, it’s been like this since S6.

I’d like to think it’s intentional.

I’m pretty sure both are playing along. Want to get out as much as possible for Alexandria and the other two communities from this deal. They didn’t exactly have a choice not to accept, with children to care for. These are smart men. Aaron might have been naive once upon a time, but he’s nobody’s fool now. Daryl takes forever to trust anyone. He’s sussing out Mercer and he’s sensing that Mercer has secrets.

That was really bad. In fact so bad that I’m detracting a point from my rather generous 10. I really did enjoy this episode but this was indeed a big mistake. Especially as it would have been so lovely to hear Rick’s name, it was the perfect time to mention him and it would have been a great reference back to that conversation about leadership between Maggie and Rick, when Maggie told Rick he was “worth following”. Such a shame about rushed writing here. Someone should have noticed. They should have sent you the script for approval, Stealth!

Maggie’s been brilliant in this episode. I’m really excited about the Negan/Maggie spin-off, as long as they never pair them romantically. But I’m also bound to watch anything with Daryl Dixon in it, so it better be good.

I liked that scene! I think Lance is quite an interesting character - after his speech to Eugene at the end of the previous episode. That shooting scene kind of showed that he might actually have some fighting capability, as well as that he also might be clinically insane in his ruthless ambition.

I’m sorry it had come to fast forwarding for you! I probably appear to be a lot more forgiving - but that’s because I basically have already let the show go. The first time I questioned the writing was Beth’s death, I still think that was horrible, horrible writing. I still get cross about it now, almost as much as the ending of GoT. Carl’s death and Rick’s departure kind of ended the show for me, like we have discussed it above. It’s like watching TWD2 since then. I’m nowhere near as invested as I used to be, though I still enjoy the show, and I’m still rooting for an acceptable ending.

My latest grievance is that I think they’ve massively screwed up with Daryl. The whole Leah thing was a huge mistake in my view. They could have been just friends, there was no need to make it romantic. And after all the teasing of his budding relationship with Connie, they just keep teasing with apparently no intention to deliver, and that’s also a huge mistake. Oh well. Just a tv show, right?

15. lastcat3

Well the ratings for this episode came out and it was 1.5m viewers. As has become the norm virtually each new episode is a series low for this show. At this rate virtually every single episode of the last arc will be under a million viewers.

16. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I don’t know…..I think I called it, LOL. Eugene confirmed it as much when he explained to Max he was swept up by the fact that “Stephanie” didn’t reject him. Then we saw them in bed together before she ghosted him and you know 2 + 2…..;)
    I blame Eugene’s inexperience with women. He had never been in a “romantic” relationship before. Why would he look a gift horse in the mouth? Lol. Max will forgive him completely though. He’s too adorable not to.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. BlackBird

Very true, you did!

18. Stealth

It's good that you're still getting some enjoyment out of it. This winter I've binged a few very good shows and the quality of them is making me even less forgiving for TWD. Yes, there has been bad writing in the past. Many of us have called that out. My problem here is that is they've created a surreal place in the Commonwealth, and I just can't accept that as part of the TWD world. Also the new characters are terrible for me.

I guess they "kind of forgot" about Daryl and Connie once they decided to do a spinoff with him and Carol.

I also have some ambivalence that the original series is primarily being used as a platform for all the spinoffs and possibly even the ill fated Rick movies.

At this stage I hope Andrew Lincoln doesn't return to the TV show because it's such a mess.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stealth

It's certainly trending in that direction. I don't see how they could stay above that mark unless they announce Darth Vader will be in the final 8 episodes.

20. lastcat3

It is telling given the fact that it is fully known that this is the final season and lots of people seem to still not be interested enough anymore to see it through to the end.