Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

135 Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 23: Whispers Into Screams' started by jwcoombs, Dec 9, 2014.

1. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Yeah, I jumped the gun; so what!?

Some Whisperers are about to get f*cking water-boarded!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 jwcoombs, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

i don't know where you'd get that idea. I don't think kenny will let them use his boat. ;)
    [​IMG]

3. jwcoombs

Hell, if a a mob of burping, farting, blue-haired geriatrics could steal it from him; I'm willing to bet I could take it out for a spin.

Not to mention, bearded, one-eyed, Governor Kenny would totally be down with hitching up the boat, grabbing a case of beer, and heading down to the lake to try out some super-cool, modern, CIA interrogation techniques on a bunch of creepy, skin-wearing freaks.

4. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

True.

Sounds like Clem has really helped him regain his humanity in the correct ending for s2. Water boarding isn't exactly enjoyable, but I'd say it's quite a few steps up from having your face beaten in. Lol.

5. jwcoombs

Holy crap! I'm digging the continuity in this issue.
    [MENTION=7785]Neuropyramidal[/MENTION] you were right about the preview panel in the infirmary. It isn't Harlan Carson. It's his assistant, who is none other than Jesus's lover Alex. Go figure?

6. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Wow. A bit of a slow issue, but damn there were some pretty big twists. Thank god for Google Play, waiting until Comixology had the issues was a torture on top of the month long wait.

#1 - The captive Whisperer. Definitely was not expecting her to be a 16 year old girl. She talks funny. Like some kind of cultist or something, with a strange ideology about life. Interesting, but very strange. Just from the way that she speaks, and the language she uses when talking about what the Whisperers do, it seems likely that she's been conditioned to think that way. I wonder if she became a "Whisperer" of her own will, or was forced into it. Her interest in Carl is very suspicious.

#2 - Carl channelling his inner Negan and ****ing swearing up a mother****ing ****wad of a shitstorm (****). Is this a sign? I'm thinking this older Carl might begin to head into some much darker territory than ever before. We know that Carl has, perhaps naively, been turning to Negan as somewhat of a confidant during the several year gap. Is Negan's influence on Carl beginning to show? I definitely think Carl has a monster somewhere inside of him, and it's very slowly creeping up on him.

#3 - Gregory. **** you, Gregory. When I first read the final panel, of Gregory suggesting that the families of the boys Carl injured take back the Hilltop by killing Maggie, I thought, yeah right, you guys don't stand a chance against Maggie, especially with Jesus and Carl also in town. But the more I think of it, the more I'm concerned that a Maggie assassination might happen.

There seems to be more of a political tone since the time skip, with several functioning communities being established, and I believe that last month after Carl thought he'd killed those boys, the idea of the communities being split over a murder at the hands of Rick Grimes' son was discussed a bit. Perhaps even leading to a civil war of some kind. Lets say that Gregory manipulates these idiots who seemingly can't control their children into starting some kind of a movement against Maggie Greene. Many Hilltop citizens support Maggie for saving them during the war, but a large portion of citizens support her ousting and believe that she's corrupt. Other communities begin weighing in, either showing support for Maggie or against her. The assassination of Maggie Greene could potentially be the last straw that ignites a civil war between the communities.

But would Kirkman dive back into a war arc so soon? Maybe not. I'm definitely very interested to see where all of this is going though.

#6 BatmansHooker, Dec 10, 2014
  7. jwcoombs

[MENTION=39001]HondaS2kXD[/MENTION]

Still disagree about Negan's influence on Carl? LOL

[​IMG]

8. BatmansHooker

Negan junior. Such a precious little thing. Gotta love that attitude.

9. jwcoombs

Maybe more of a cold war-style civil war? That could be cool. They could get into intelligence, and spies, and tradecraft and all kinds of apocalyptic spook stuff.

10. jwcoombs

One of the Skybound employees who runs the TWD twitter account had made a comment yesterday about a "Carl moment in this issue that blew their mind"--I was seriously expecting Carl to just snap and kill the boys father in the infirmary. I really thought when the man tried to grab him he was just gonna pull his pistol, draw down and level all the parents.

11. BatmansHooker

Yeah, that could be interesting. War on a political level might be more likely than another all out war straight away.

That would have been awesome. But then we'd be very concerned for Carl! He'd have to go into hiding after that. Or otherwise assert his dominance as the one true king of the four communities and begin his reign of tyranny.

12. jwcoombs

We've all pretty much been spot on with our generalized predictions. It's looks like there's going to be a power struggle, a possible coup-d'etat, maybe an assassination, and possibly a civil war.

We all knew this Carl incident was going to lead to the questioning of Maggie's loyalties, and her fitness to lead. And of course, who else to lead the traitorous crusade than the original snake-in-the-grass himself, Gregory.

Something just hit me. Remember back during AOW; Gregory went to Negan and attempted to make some kind of truce. Saying the Hilltop would surrender, yadda, yadda, and it failed and Negan kicked him off the steps? Well, what I'm getting at is, I wouldn't put it past Gregory, to try to spring Negan. Knowing that he needs all the muscle he can get, and seeing as how most of the real fighters have sworn allegiance to the Grimes Regime, he'll know Negan has no love for the Grimes Regime, and he also know what kind of monster Negan is, and what he is capable of. I wonder if he might try to spring him in hopes of rallying a rebel force to perform a hostile takeover at the Hilltop? Thing is, it would certainly backfire on Gregory, Negan wouldn't stop at the Hilltop, he'd want vengeance, and complete power. Or, wouldn't it be some shit if he sprung Negan, and Negan was actually reformed, and chose to fight for Rick, because he realized that without Rick and his ideals, life is just going to be an endless cycle of infighting and chaos.

I knew Carl had been more heavily influenced by Negan than some folks wanted to believe. They're just too similar for Carl to resist his influence. Carl believes in many of the same ideals as Negan, kill or be killed, eliminate your enemies, vengeance, rage, death. Things Rick is trying to distance himself from, but thing Carl believes in. I can see Carl going to that dark place more and more now. It starts with his realization that he's different from most other survivors, then comes his blatant disagreement with their laws and rules, he won't understand why would-be murders shouldn't be killed, or why problems shouldn't be routed out and destroyed. This will lead to him going rogue.

As far as the Whisperer girl, I didn't expect her to be a child. Especially a pretty little girl. It's apparent she's been drinking the Kool-Aid; as her words sound like a script, as if they're coming from someone else's mouth. I can't help but wonder if she was forced into the Whisperers when she was much younger, in the beginning of the Turn. She's very off-putting. Her matter-of-fact manner, her pragmatic attitude(why haven't you killed me? etc), and her interest in Carl is all very suspicious. I wonder if she's truly attracted to him(odds are there aren't many decent, good-looking boys her age in her community), or if she has ulterior motives, and sees Carl as a possible ally? Honestly, I think it may be more of the girlish crush variety, although she claims that adolescence is a luxury, she's still a 16 year old girl, with hormones, and feelings, and all that jazz. It could be she's never seen a teenage boy, and once Carl walked by, with his badass battle-scars, and fresh wounds, the way he carried himself, his voice, etc, she was most likely attracted to him. That's why she reached out to him in the holding cell, I honestly think it's just hormonal curiosity.

I just really hope Carl doesn't abandon Sophia for this crazy little skin-wearing super-freak. But hey, maybe Carl's into that sort of thing?(Hey babe, can you wear the mask while we do it??)

13. halcyon

halcyon Member

I'd be surprised if Gregory has any kind of support beyond the four or five people we saw this issue. The people of Hilltop would have to be really stupid to want him back in charge.

Not sure why, but I get the feeling that they're going to bring the other two communities back into the story some time soon. I think Dwight and the Saviors may get involved in the power struggle at the Hilltop somehow.

14. jwcoombs

Totally off topic. But I had to reply to your post because you're sig is f*cking classic! I laughed so hard when I read it.

In case you were wondering "full bone guy's" name was Davis. And this is just a humble suggestion, but rather than having his epitaph read "~his dick was a full boner~" it should say-"~his dick and balls were hungry for death~". :p

[​IMG]

15. halcyon

halcyon Member

Ha, thanks! I put it as a direct quote instead.
    I'm not changing it to his real name though. To me he will always be full boner guy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

I haven't read it yet but I will post again when I do when I get home!!!

17. jwcoombs

Oh, I would never suggest you change that!

"Full boner guy" beats the hell out of "Davis", any day of the week. :Grin:

Also, seeing as how I forgot earlier; Welcome to the forum!--Looks like you've been on the road a while. We usually do this where the tracks meet. We've got nothing to hide, but the welcome wagon's a whole lot nicer. No worries, someone will take you around front, ask you a few questions, and fix you a plate. But first, I'm going to have to ask to see all your weapons. Don't worry, we're not those kind of people, but we're not stupid either. So, as long as we understand each other, there should be no problems...just solutions. :Grin:

#17 jwcoombs, Dec 10, 2014
  18. jwcoombs

It's slow, and only really consists of the roughly hour and a half to two hours that transpired immediately following the final panel of issue #134. Seriously, the events of this issue couldn't have taken place in more than two hours. Pretty neat though if you ask me; because it's almost as if you're reading the issue, and the events within are happening in real time.

19. jwcoombs

Another thing. After reading this issue, and seeing the the angry Carl splash page; I'm thinking he would look pretty badass if he started wearing a headband. Very "John Rambo"-esque. He's already got the perfect hair for the look. Now, I'm not saying I want him to ditch the hat, but he is growing up, and the hat was a sort of childish token or talisman; like a special blanket, or teddy bear, or locket, or coin, etc. It was something Rick gave him that was "special", something that would give him strength, or courage, or had some sort of special ability or power. It's something we all do with children to help them cope with what they don't understand.

I think it's time he relegate the hat to a nail driven into the wall, and hung ceremoniously above the head of his bed. Like a dream catcher almost. Then he can ditch the glasses, and don a badass, preferably red, headband. I think it gives him a certain, savage/mercenary look to him.

Billy Green rocked a headband too and totally pulled it off.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Sco

Sco Member

7/10 issue.

I hate those kid's parents'. lol

#20 Sco, Dec 10, 2014