Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

136 Cover

Discussion in 'Volume 23: Whispers Into Screams' started by Tony Davis, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

TURN BACK.
    TURN BACK NOW.
    LAST WARNING.
    OKAY, HERE IT GOES:
    [​IMG]
    THE WALKING DEAD #136
    STORY: ROBERT KIRKMAN
    ART: CHARLIE ADLARD, STEFANO GAUDIANO & CLIFF RATHBURN
    COVER: CHARLIE ADLARD & DAVE STEWART
    JANUARY 13
    32 PAGES/BW/ M
    $2.99

Found.

2. Walker709

Walker709 Active Member

Something tells me that these guys aren't the peaceful type.

3. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Great cover. I'm not sure I want to know what these guys are planning. I'm even less sure I want ot find out they have no plan.

4. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Great cover. I'm not sure I want to know what these guys are planning. I'm even less sure I want to find out they have no plan.

5. Sco

Sco Member

[video=youtube;kIfOjkB17BA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIfOjkB17BA[/video]

6. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So... I was worried the herd would find it's way to one of the communities... Now I'm worried that the herd will be lead to the communities by the leatherfaces. F*ck.

#6 HondaS2kXD, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  7. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Looks like the tagline is pretty straightforward this issue. Yikes.

8. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

nice. i really dig it. i have high hopes for these next couple issues

9. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

I wonder how many leatherfaces their are. Could this lead to another war? I mean, if you take in the ASZ, the Kingdom, the Saviors, and the Hilltop, that has to be 400+ people? We don't know the exact numbers in the community, though I've assumed they've found a few new people besides Magna's group in the past few years.

10. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Yeah; I'm super worried. That was something I mentioned in last issues discussion. That these guys should not be underestimated. Although the communities, are very large, strong and thriving; and the leatherfaces may be few, and not very advanced or organized. But the fact that they have assimilated into the dead; and are able to build and lead herd of untold numbers is a chilling though. Not to mention; the possibility of their behaviors influencing the walkers behaviors over time; nothing serious, but thing like were mentioned in #132 when Dante says-"We've seen them holding tools before"; could be after long amounts of time with the leatherfaces leading them and walking amongst them; they begin to mimic a little bit, picking up sticks rocks and knives.

There could only be 10 people in their group; but their potential threat is immense. Yes, walkers are manageable, slow, dumb, and easily dispatched; even in large numbers. But the fact remains they function like a force of nature; much like a flash flood, mudslide, or brush fire. Once it gets out of control; all is lost. And when they herds reach a certain size; their direction becomes fixed and very difficult to alter their course(the only reason they've accomplished that is because of Eugene's genius).

Judging by the leatherfaces demeanor, and what we know so far; I'm fairly confident that the they use the walkers not only as a mode of safe transportation; but also as a weapon. The herd function as a broad sword; like a modern day army light infantry unit. Then when it comes down to more specific, intricate warfare, that's when they use their weapons and go hand to hand; gaining the advantage by blending in and infiltrating with the herd. It's really scary. The right size herd could mow the Hilltop's wall down easily(they breached ASZ and their walls were steel). And once inside; all is lost. We already witnessed that; because once the herd breaches, the people begin fighting in close quarters; but they've been so indoctrinated over the years that the zombies are slow, and dumb, and easy to fool and subdue, they are trained not to panic, trained to always be on the attack and never on the defensive as the walkers won't strike or fight in a traditional manner. This is what ultimately was Dante and his groups undoing. Because they had become so comfortable with the ease and manageability to dealing with the undead; that the leather faces were very easily able to get right into their kill box, knives in hand ready to strike the killing blow. This is what will happen if they breach the Hilltop; while the walkers do their part, the leather faces will be darting around, disappearing in and out of the herd like invisible men slicing and slaughtering as they go, while people are none the wiser.

I really like the title of this one-"Watch the Neighbors".....but something about the nature of those words disturbs me. "Neighbor" is a familiarity term, an affectionate term, or term of endearment. When you refer to someone as your neighbor, it's like calling them a brother, or some sort of distant kin. Basically; you're both part of the same something; be it neighborhood, community, etc. What I'm getting at here; is I'm still very worried Michonne could be involved with this somehow. Although that specific brand of drama would make for some of the most riveting and compelling storytelling in the series; it still turns my stomach. Ugh..

11. jwcoombs

Why did the cover disappear from the website??

12. lewh

lewh Member

Yeah I noticed this too! Hmm. Maybe Kirkman want's a revised cover where the stitches aren't apparent? OR the cover reveal is to be delayed until more people have read 132? I really don't know haha. It's on the Internet now anyway so there isnt much point in removing it.

As for the cover itself, I love it! I can't wait for this story arc already!

13. jwcoombs

Well, I think what happened was it was uploaded by mistake. Because, today is the day that the #133 preview panels are supposed to be released; I'm guessing some Skybound intern accidentally uploaded the #136 cover instead of the #133 preview panels. Can you say fired? LOL

14. lewh

lewh Member

HAHA probably! Poor guy/gal lol. Hope this doesn't mean we won't get the panel previews now though

15. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

So it appears our issue with these walker wannabes isn't resolved by 136. As much as I think its a neat idea, I really hope this doesn't drag out into a multiple volume arc. That could be very cheesy.

16. jwcoombs

I agree; I definitely don't want a some weird deranged "Buffalo Bill" arc. I mean, I understand and commend Kirkman for trying to bring back some genuine horror to his continuing story of survival horror; but I hope he doesn't take it too far into the realm of ridiculousness.

17. jwcoombs

Hey;I figured out why they took it down as soon as it was put up!

They just finally reposted it; and the reason is actually almost exactly what you said it was!

The original cover posted last night had the tagline-"Watching the Neighbors"

But the one they just posted is the same cover; but with the tagline-"Found".

Good call @lewh !

[​IMG]

#17 jwcoombs, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  18. ZigZagMan40

ZigZagMan40 Member

I personally think that the "leatherfaces" have been following Magna from Richmond this whole time as a result from leaving their camp. (Maybe some love interest with her or one of the others like Carver in season 2 of the game) They said back when they first met Rick that it was bad so they left and all their stories seemed somewhat pre-planned and vague like they didn't want to mention exactly how bad it was. Otherwise I couldn't see why these guys would just be wandering around in herds all day.

19. steely

steely Well-Known Member

you raise some excellent points!!!! to be honest, I'm kind of intrigued by this group as a foe.. they could easily manipulate walkers, guide them into settlements, etc...

as for the statement about seeing walkers use tools... I want to see this... i'd like to see some evolution on the walkers part...

20. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

interesting i never thought of that. it does seem odd that after being in this area for a few years no one in any of the settlements came across these guys.