Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

136 Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 23: Whispers Into Screams' started by jwcoombs, Jan 14, 2015.

1. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

This actually sounds like a great change of pace for TWD. Defo gonna read it soon.
    Thanks Honda

2. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

No prollem.

Yeah, I liked all out war and all the action, but this is awesome, too. Not as much action, but there's tension and suspense and it feels like it's building towards something awesome.

3. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

The way all this suspense is building I have a feeling TWD crew is going to give us a very devistating outcome. It makes me nervous thinking about it

• Like Like x 1
  4. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think something big is going to happen. But I can't put my finger on what. Obviously carl is safe. And I think it's still too early for Rick to die. But just about everyone else is in play.

One thing I was thinking about is, when Lydia mentioned that "this place won't last." That would be a surprise-- have these fortresses fail and our survivors have to go back out on the road again. I do seem to remember a long time ago Kirkman said in a letter hacks something to the effect of their journey won't end in DC. Could it be that their homes will be the next thing taken away from them?

5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I think you can rest easy. This is Rick and Carl's story. Carl isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Carl may be the one character who is actually even safer than Rick. Kirkman has stated that he wants TWD to go on for at least 300 issues. He's definitely not going to kill off Carl less than half way through the series. If Carl ever dies, it will happen as part of the climax or denouement. It will happen in the final issues of the comic. Your boy is as safe from getting eaten as limburger cheese pie.

6. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

You summary stealing prick!

7. jwcoombs

Agreed. I think Carl is the one character we can assume will survive the entire series.

That being said; that kinds of a neat sub-topic. What character's do you think have the juice to outwit, outplay, and outlast the entire series?

It's always interesting when a long-running, and well-written television drama, or novel series comes to an end after several seasons or installments; and you're able to step back and look at who survived the gauntlet from start to finish, who lasted the the lion's share of the series, who fell from grace, who had surprisingly meteoric rises to power, and most important of all...why?

What do you think? Other than Carl, the heir apparent; who else do you think has a fair shake at going the distance?

8. jwcoombs

As much as that possibility pains me, and I would hate it tremendously for our beloved survivors; it's those sorts of painfully and brutally and relentlessly realistic events that make for the best stories. It's those scenarios that provide for the best circumstances, moments, and bring out the most compelling sides of the characters. It's those events that force them to rise to the occasion time and again, showing us what they're made of.

I'd have to say, some sort of "Exodus" arc in the near future would be amazing. And I don't mean like when the prison fell and they were all forced back onto the road. The reason I chose the word "Exodus" is because that arc would be something way more epic than post-prison journey. This would be hundreds and hundreds of lost souls, put out from their homes, their budding societies, and thrust back into the brutal world they were striving to rebuild. I can see it now, Carl and Rick leading a massive crowd of hundreds into the uncertain horizon as three distinct columns of thick black smoke rise up behind them, with a flaming, burning Hilltop looming above it all, as if it were some fiery punctuation to the tragedy.

I could see it now, the "Exodus" arc; it could start with issue #200 "Ashes to ashes, trust to dust". :p

9. Neuropyramidal

I think sometimes the characters with the most ability are at even greater risk of death. Because their deaths are the most powerful. Like Jesus. He seems somewhat invincible, which is the perfect recipe for a memorable death. He could be our next Glenn, mayhap? Issue 200? Same idea with Michonne. Her death would be weighty, which makes it ultimately desirable to the storytelling eventually. I don't think Andrea will survive the series, I think she will die at some point to further evolve Rick. I think the 'we don't die' mantra has been quite foreboding. But that could work against Rick as well, towards the end.

If we go to 300 issues and beyond, my guess is that we will have a couple more time jumps at least, so we may need a younger generation to surround Carl. Perhaps Sophia and Josh and Anna and Lydia so on will be needed for that. Maybe they are some of the safest for the long term. Hell, maybe this is one of the ultimate reasons for Lydia's reveal as such a young girl. Because she's to become part of the younger cast, filling in the holes in our hearts from those long passed...;)

10. Neuropyramidal

Another thing to consider is that people aren't always forced from their homes. Sometimes they leave voluntarily, for a chance at something even better. Conceivably, all [or part] of our group may leave ASZ willingly. Maybe this whole Ocean/Chesapeake Bay hinting is even the start of that.

11. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

i think/hope Andrea outlives Rick. or, as cheesy as it sounds, they die together (obviously not Chris and Julie style). i still think we should have atleast one person die from old age, disease or some natural causes. asthma attack, allergy, something unrelated to the ZA

12. Neuropyramidal

I agree. I said this somewhere before, we haven't dealt much with everyday unexpected natural occurrences that should be cropping up in a ZA. Diabetes, seizures, strokes, heart attacks, different kinds of mental illness [of course we've had people suicidal, and such, but no schizophrenia, bipolar with mania, etc, things that would be relatively common in the population. The younger generation in the late teens, 20's etc, would be expected to have a certain percentage of things like new onset schizophrenia].

As well as natural disasters. A nice category 5 hurricane could be interesting.

I can't think of too many people who have died from anything unrelated to walkers or attacks from other survivors. Scott, who fell from a building while on a run was one of them.

13. jwcoombs

That would be something I would like to see. Similar to the mentally ill member of Woodbury in the latest TWD novel, or how Gimple revealed that on the show, the man who lived in the funeral home where Darly had his "white-trash-brunch", actually died of a heart complication while out on a run. It was described in an interview that the man who lived their had a heart condition and took medication(nitrates maybe?). One day he went out on a run, scavenging, hunting, gathering, etc but forgot his meds. He got a little farther out than he planned and then got held up or pinned down temporarily, keeping him from getting home promptly. Ultimately this lead to his heart having an episode, and him having no medicine to counteract the issue. So he died out there somewhere.

That being said, I would love to see a natural death, or at least a medical condition in the comic. I really don't even count the flu arc from the show, because that was more of a "contagion", or "epidemic" scenario. Which, if you think about it, is no different from the relentless, brutal, and deadly threat of the undead.

I think it would be interesting to meet a cancer patient beating the odds and managing to survive the apocalypse. Or even and HIV/AIDs patient. How they cope, how they survive,how they are treated by others, these are all very interesting things.

The funny thing is, is that this idea would be easily supported in the current comic issues. With civilization on the rise, society reforming, people thriving, and making great strides and accomplishments. Medical staff and supplies, as well as abundant and sustainable resources of all varieties; you would think now would be the place and time where it would be feasible for them to care for the afflicted and even the terminally ill.

14. jwcoombs

The old man who owned the funeral home on the show died of a heart complication.

Aside from that, natural disasters has been something I've been a huge advocate for in this story for a long time now. I'd love nothing more than to see a tornado, landslide or flash flood. Could you imagine? If a tornado can hurl cars, houses and livestock through the air over a distance of miles, imagine what would happen is an EF5 came tearing through a herd several thousand strong? Even worse, a flash flood that encounters a sizable herd, turning a lumbering, shambling cluster of corpses into a swift and deadly wall of destruction.

One the other hand, some natural disasters could be your ally. For example, and enormous avalanche rushes down from the Rockies and encapsulates the throngs of corpses that populate Denver in a frozen tomb. Or, a 9.0 earthquake hit Los Angeles, bringing the entire city, every skyscraper and structure, down on top of the countless hordes of undead who call LA their home. Lastly, my personal favorite, several sinkholes a few hundred feet in diameter open up in the middle of large southeastern cities like Atlanta, GA, and Tampa, FL, swallowing thousands of dead-alive pricks whole.

Either way, it would make for some very compelling events.

15. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

yea i feel like it would ad a touch of realism to the story. it seems pretty odd the TWD story has been goin for over a decade and its apparently never crossed RKs mind to put in some natural disaster, disease, mental or physical condition

weve had the old man with a oxygen tank but thats it.
    we had Lizzie/Ben and their obvious mental issues but thats it. (you could argue Shane and the Gov but that was brought on by the ZA)

i think a deaf or blind character would be pretty cool. see how they make up for their missing sense in the ZA

16. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

I went to the comic book store during my planning period and they were f*cking closed. :|

17. rotten taint

rotten taint Member

I really enjoyed this issue. The Carl and Lydia connection did it for me. Love young love!

18. el_hombre

el_hombre Member

I'm curious to see if at some point, anyone will try to take over any sort of existing infrastructure like a hydro dam or anything like that and get it up and running.

19. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

Not in the comics, but in the TV show, David Chambler died from Lung Cancer, Michael Coleman died from Prostate Cancer, and Dying Man from Slabtown (not Gavin), had a heart attack and suffered from dehydration. It really doesn't happen enough though. Like, not even someone getting cut and their wound getting infected really happens. From the TV Show, that just happened to T-Dog and he survived, and it's only really happened to Scott in the Comics.

A Hurricane would be great. Virginia experiences pretty big ones from time to time (Isabel, Irene, Sandy).

#99 ltomlinson31, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  20. boba772

boba772 Member

Thanks. xD That reassures me a ton.

Ohh, to add to more recent discussions, I believe that Lily will survive the last time we end up seeing her. (Probably novel.) Same with Clementine. So those two are not in the comic explicitly, per say, they are in the same universe.

Also in the first novel released, Road to Woodbury I think, we see April's and Tara's dad die by some natural causes.