Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

136 Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 23: Whispers Into Screams' started by jwcoombs, Jan 14, 2015.

1. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Amen to that. At that age your sole purpose, and only goal in life is to see a girl naked. Then, once you accomplish that, you find you want so much more. LOL

2. jwcoombs

I think he's actually older than 13. The wiki can't be trusted; and we all know the time skip is purposely ambiguous. But we do know it was more than 2 years.

I think he may be closer to 15.

3. jwcoombs

I though this was a fairly obvious theme growing within the TWD narrative. As we slowly but surely grow closer to the the issue #200 make, and as the world of TWD changes vastly as the years go by; Kirkman is trying to desensitize us readers to the idea of a TWD universe without Rick Grimes.

It's been prophesied and theorized for quite sometime that eventually, Carl, the heir apparent, would eventually inherit the throne and Rick would fade into the background and eventually die. Even so, it is still something that has to be approached slowly, subtly, and as painlessly as possible. So, one issue at a time, we're growing used to Rick not being the center of the TWD universe; and subsequently we're learning more about other complex and interesting characters and their agendas; and we're also learning that TWD can be very enjoyable and compelling without King Rick at the forefront of the story.

Now, don't get me wrong; I wouldn't enjoy a TWD without the Grimes element. But, a TWD without Rick won't be so bad; atleast it seems like it won't be.

4. boba772

boba772 Member

He already got to see that with what's her face in Alexandria.
    I honestly think there is more to Carl's and Lydia's relationship then Carl's hormones. I hope so at least. Carl is my favourite character in this book, and I am hoping that he just kind of takes Lydia under his wing and teaching her how she can live like Carl had been and not have to wear walker skin all the time.
    Still dying to check out next issue, I am so excited for this. :D

5. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

I wonder if when Rick dies it might be better to have it be something like cancer, rather than him being killed by anyone or anything. Especially if they get to a point where civilization has returned to a somewhat normal level.

I'm not saying that Rick NEEDS to die in order for Carl to become the focus, I was just meaning if/when Kirkman wants to go down that route. I can't see that happening for some time though.

6. WatWD

WatWD Member

I can see Carl identifying with Lydia because he (teenage hormonal mind) thinks he is an outsider just like he sees she is.

When you are under duress (in a "prison" holding cell) it is easy to want to form a friend. So I could see Lydia forming a friendship with Carl with no strings attached. At least at the start. All bets would be off when it comes to Hilltop vs Whisperers. However, it might be interesting if the Whisperers have a chance to do Carl in and Lydia stops it.

I know RK said somewhere about killing Rick off. I would assume the same would hold true for most, but not all, of the originals. At least, getting them out of the foreground. I just hope downplaying Rick now and the absence of Michonne doesn't mean it is now.

7. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

I am on the fence with Lydia, but if someone got mad at me for sitting the fence because it would cause structural damage (which means it must be a really bad fence because I'm not heavy enough to really cause serious damage against at least a decent fence) and forced me to jump on a side, I'd say I trust Lydia.

8. WatWD

WatWD Member

I want to trust Lydia. I just think she sounds like she has been brain-washed (when Paul/Jesus is questioning her). To live in a PA land and have to do terrible things to survive. To walk with the Whisperers for years(?) ... I just can't see her turning away in just a few hours.

The Whisperers outside could be wrong but they know Lydia better than we do at this point. However, just like all the other characters RK will probably put Lydia into situation(s) where she will be torn which way to go.

9. jwcoombs

You know, I hadn't put much thought in the method of Rick's death until now. But now that you mention it; I completely agree with you. I'd prefer for Rick to die due to some variation of natural death. I don't want him to be murdered, or eaten alive/torn to bits by walkers.

Also, personally; I would completely despise the idea of Rick being "assassinated" for some strictly political reason. Similar to what's currently brewing against Maggie at the Hilltop.

But yeah, that being said, I would life for Rick to die a natural death. I can't believe more people haven't been the victims of various illnesses and viruses we used to inoculate against but no longer do post-outbreak. Such as influenza, measles, polio, tuberculosis, pneumonia, hepatitis, etc. Not to mention to possibilities from lack of hygiene, extremely close living quarters, and 99% of the world's population existing as rotting corpses.

Also, I'd imagine a great number of people now suffer from PTSD and other mental illnesses, as well as possibly suffering from the physical maladies and illnesses attributed to enduring unbearable stress for long periods of time. Such as hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, GI problems, and possible heart attacks and stroke.

I could see Rick going that route in the end; similar to how Michael Corleone goes out in the final installment of The Godfather trilogy. I could see Rick having a stroke or heart attack in his old age as a culmination of all the stress, pain, and trauma he's endured in a short period of time.

I can almost see how it would go down--

It's many years from now, Carl is a grown man with a child on the way and Rick is nearing his golden years. Carl has been in charge for sometime now at this point; having assumed his father's role as leader several years earlier. We find them at the annual fair which was founded back in issue #127. Except now we see many differences, paved roads, street lamps, all sorts of little municipal markings of civilization. Biggest of all is that the fair is now hosted on it's own personal and sprawling fair grounds. Complete with ampitheater, large hotel, a large concessions area which includes several stand alone diners, a sprawling market/bazaar covered by large circus style tents, an enormous children's playground and the list goes on. We find the father and son duo on stage, giving their charismatic speeches as they do every year to mark the final moments of the closing ceremonies of another spectacular annual fair. Long after the large crowds have dispersed and the fair grounds cleaned up, packed up, and locked down, we see a contented Grimes family heading to their horse-drawn carriage to make the short trip back home to Alexandria. Rick begins reminiscing, getting nostalgic with Carl and Andrea, talking about old times, good ones, bad ones, the wins, the loses, the fights, of how he loved a good fight. Just then he'll collapse, with Carl and Andrea catching him under the arms before he can fall to the ground and injure himself. Andrea screams for help, but it doesn't matter. Carl slides to a sitting position on the ground and cradles his father in his arms as he endures the final spastic and painful throes of the stroke, and then expires with a hoarse and raspy final breath.

10. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

Ugh, tears! Tears everywhere! Most excellent post, jw!

11. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

This is exactly what and how it should go down. Rick is the man, and always will be. Who would believe he was torn apart by walkers or shot by some jerkass flavor of the month baddie. There is no scenario in either of those that I would be satisfied with, but a solemn death of natural causes brought on by the state of the world would be a sublime end to a perfect hero. Go out with honor and dignity, not blood and lead.

12. sacrdandprofne

Beautifully done!!

Sadly I'm not sure if Kirkman will give us something like that.

13. Darth_The_Dude

Darth_The_Dude New Member

Im so glad I found this forum. I love you all.

The Michonne/Whisperer theory is very interesting to me.

Im scared Carl is getting tricked (obviously).

Crazy Rick needs to re-emerge, Georgory and the rednecks need to be dealt with by death, or exile. Or death by exile.

Too. Much. Anticipation. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

14. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. :Grin: I assume you will join us in the #137 discussion thread tomorrow?

I'm pretty hyped too. I love that cover with badass Carl so much.