Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

138 discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 23: Whispers Into Screams' started by LetsGo, Mar 11, 2015.

1. LetsGo

LetsGo New Member

Wow, the Whisperers are messed up!

2. Negan Grimes

Negan Grimes Member

oh you're just sayin that, I'll get back to you in about eleven hours after the comic book store opens

3. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Ah, someone made the thread! I read the issue about 12 hours ago and have been keeping my mouth shut all day because last month I made the thread hoooouuuurs before it was released in the US and no one else had read it. That's what I'm gonna keep doing. Just keeping my mouth shut every month when a new issue comes out.

Um… Lydia. I… Kirkman, damn it. Stop making me change my mind about her. First she's the devil, then she's just a scared girl, then she has psychosexual issues, and now she's a victim? STAWWHP.

Honestly I do feel bad for her now. When she was with "Alpha" and treated so coldly by her own mother… There's no more twists in Lydia's personality - at least not right now. This is the real Lydia. A sad girl who doesn't feel loved or cared for, even by her own family.

Not surprising that Carl went after her, but he's just going to find himself in a world of trouble.

Also...

DANTE AND KEN!!!! HEY GUYS! I THOUGHT YALL WERE GONE FOREVER! Dante cracking on to Maggie as soon as he gets back, lol.

Jesus dropkicking Gregory was the greatest thing I've ever seen. As was Gregory crying about his super perfect evil plan for world domination being foiled and thrown in prison and Maggie saying what we were ALL thinking "Could you BE any more pathetic?"

4. BatmansHooker

Also, letter hacks (paraphrasing) "Now that we know Michonne isn't the leader of the Whisperer's, there's only one mystery left unsolved - where is Michonne?"

On the boat. Tell me she's on the boat. Is she on the boat? I just want to know she's on the boat? Maybe they've been hiding her all this time because she's traded her dreads in for a mohawk? Please? Mohawkchonne? On a boat?

5. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

I still think the boats belong to the Whisperers.

6. BatmansHooker

It's possible, but to be honest that sounds less likely to me now than it ever has. If this boat is going to debut in the next issue, then it belonging to the Whisperer's is pretty out of the blue, considering that until now they've been established as nomads or gypsies who move in a large herd, very similar to zombies. Travelling by boat wouldn't really fit what we know about them so far, imo.

It'd be a twist, bur I'm just not seeing it happening.

7. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

Ilk be back later after I read cant wait to see what you guys think

8. jwcoombs

Man, big, BIG issue!

So, it was great to see Jesus throw a fierce flying-Bruce-Lee kick Gregory's way. We haven't seen nearly enough Jesus martials arts in recent issues. Also, Gregory, that f*cking craven swine never ceased to amaze me. The nerve it takes to sit there and play dumb and innocent when he knows Jesus saw everything. "She just passed out"-are you f*cking kidding me?? And to think; it almost seemed like Gregory was coming around to being a decent person in the beginning of this arc. But decent just isn't in him. He truly is the definition of pathetic. First, he couldn't even poison Maggie properly(how the f*ck do you botch a poisoning? If all else fails; use too much); and then after being caught red handed he continues to deny his actions, has the audacity to claim Jesus' violence toward him and treatment of him is "absurd"; and then the kicker-he sit there and begs not to be locked in a cell, claiming that he "can't handle it" and that he'll "die if you leave him in her". Un-f*cking-believable. I was my hands of you Gregory; enjoy your life sentence sharing a cell with Negan; I'm sure you've missed him dearly since he kicked you off that roof during AOW.

Also, I knew Gregory's life would be spared. Regardless of Jesus's anger and capabilities. I knew that he wouldn't kill Gregory. Jesus understands what Rick is trying to accomplish it; and is a firm believer and staunch supporter. While he did threaten to kill Gregory; I believe he still would have locked him up even if Maggie hadn't regained consciousness and spoken up. Now, I will say; had Maggie been dead on the floor in Gregory's apartment; I think Jesus may have killed him in heat-of-the-moment passion. But, in hindsight he would have regretted it; because it negates all they're trying to accomplish. I thought it was actually quite amazing; and really showcased her unique and unbending strength and will to see Maggie, after just having been poisoned plead with Jesus to spare Gregory's life; even with her own life on the line and possibly slipping from her grasp, she still stands strong next to her convictions of not killing. It shows she is a true believer as well. Also, it makes me feel like they really do have hope, all the communities as a whole, of actually accomplishing their lofty goals of society and civilization with laws, order, government, and all that comes with it.

Moving on; I stand by my original assessment of Lydia. I don't believe her to be a spy, or using Carl at all. I didn't think she was from the beginning. And for me, this issue confirmed her true intentions. She's not some underhanded master of espionage and social engineering; she's just a naive young girl. A naive young girl who has had no normal life experiences, who has lived among zombies for the last several years of her life, who has been used, abused, and raped by most likely every male in her "pack"; essentially treated like an animal regardless of the fact that she's the leaders daughter. Oh, and on top of all that; she's been completely shunned by her mother, being forced to address her has "Alpha", like they're animals and she's nothing more than the pack leader. So, it's completely understandable; that once she met this boy, and discovered this whole new world where people don't live like animals, they have a choice in what they do/what is done to them, they don't have to wear skin to live with walkers, and they have real fulfilling lives; that she would fall in love with it all and cling to it. She's finally got a taste of the grass on the other side; and it is undoubtedly greener. It also makes complete sense that she would have sex with Carl, not as a way to manipulate him; but because she's most likely been used as a sexual outlet for several males since she was 12 or 13; and for her to meet a boy her age, similar to her, that evokes feeling in her she's never felt would be a huge deal for her. The opportunity to feel real affection, and have consensual sex with someone you like, and actually enjoy it for the first time ever would definitely be something she would want. I don't blame her one bit; I actually have a lot of sympathy for her now.

Next, mother-f*cking Dante and Ken!! Now, I'll admit, I had resigned Ken to an ugly death way back in #130. But, I had been holding out hope for Dante all this time; because I like him. But I was psyched to see them both alive and well. But what I was more happy about; was the fact that the Whisperer's were peaceful and diplomatic like I had speculated. I knew there wasn't going to be another conflict. I thought it was brilliant storytelling to have both side realize that it was all a big misunderstanding; and that lives were lost on both sides but the issue can be peacefully resolved. I think they could possibly become allies.

Now, about "Alpha". She's going to be a tough nut to crack; especially after seeing her disdain for her own daughter. But, her name, and behavior give us some more insight into the Whisperer beliefs and way of life. It's apparent that function through a pack mentality; and the pack is the root of all they are and all they do. This makes sense, and supports their methods of living and traveling among walkers. They're all about the unbroken circle of life, and the "pack", meaning basically that they believe that everything should take care of everything. All things have a purpose and a use, all things working together in unison all the time. Hence the infinity belt buckle Alpha wore. They view themselves no as individuals, but as equal parts of a "whole". This is also why they don't use their "given names". It was actually probably way out of the ordinary and against Whisperer custom for Lydia to introduce herself as "Lydia". Because they are not individuals, they don't exist to serve and please themselves; they exist to support one another. And Lydia's mom, being the unopposed leader, is the "Alpha" of the pack; but she needs to be known as nothing more than that, because there are no individuals, and she is no different from the other beside the fact that she leads them. It makes complete sense, they exist in a pack, so do the dead, the dead protect them, they share the world willingly with the dead and provide food for them, the dead provide them safe transport and disguise, and also occasionaly provide them with the meat of an animal they take down and share, the Whisperers don't scourge the land, and in turn the land provides for them plentifully, they don't take more than they need, and they don't bother with the worthless inventions and ideals of the old word. And because they've abandoned the meaningless illusions man has created and gone back to their roots; nature returns the favor by caring for them and providing all they need. It's like Alpha said, they have no want, use, or need for anything the Hilltop has or does. They have all they want and need; and it's been provided for them by the very same nature that brought for the dead, the same nature that most people consider cruel and plagued. But that's where the Whisperers differ, they don't view it as a plague or the wrath of God, they view it as a blessing; an evolutionary step further for the world. The final part of their philosophy about the unbroken circle of life is that once a living member of their pack dies; he doesn't die but rather ascends to another state of being, with another purpose and use. They transition from the living pack, and become part of the undead pack and assume their new role as protector of the living pack. Everything working together, in unison.

I was really impressed to see that the Whisperers were able to set Ken's leg to well and care for them so robustly. It makes me wonder just how far they take their beliefs; because if they have a skilled physician, he must utilize some knowledge of modern medicine. This also tells me no to underestimate them, or write them off as ignorant savages. But the thing that worries me; is Dante's warning. He made it clear that the Whisperer's move very often, daily in some instances. And from what we know from the earlier encounters; they are very widespread, existing in several different surrounding regions that are long distances apart. But Dante's warning of being careful to not cross the Whisperers because of what he heard is what worries me. He claims to have heard what sounded like thousands of Whisperer. Now, at first I figured he just must have been hearing their various, multiple herds of walkers. But then as I thought more; I realized Dante is no dummy; and after being the first to discover the truth behind what the Whisperer's actually are; there's no way he would mistake thousands of walkers for living survivors. He is smarter than that. So that means, that Dante heard thousands of actual voices; which could be very worrisome for our gang. I think we're going to find out that the Whisperer's are the prevailing; ruing force in the mid-Atlantic region.

Moving on; it broke my freaking heart when Sophia came down the hall looking for Carl. Coming to comfort him after hearing he was upset; only to find him packed up and gone forever. Poor Sophia; Carl's one true love; but he's too hot and horned up to realize it. Also, that panel is a dead-giveaway as to what's on the cover of #140. It's obvious now; that #140 is depicting Maggie discovering for herself that Carl is missing, after Sophia came to tell her. She looks understandably freaked the hell out; because she knows how bad this is. Carl Grimes is missing, and so are all of his things; he's gone, ran away. She knows that Rick is going to shit a brick; she knows once news reaches ASZ that the Heir Apparent has disappeared all hell will break loose. Rick's going to go all "man-on-fire" and scour the earth for Carl, killing whatever gets in his way.

On that note; I'm loving how Kirkman is intensely focusing on Carl's coming of age story. It seems like this arc, and the new direction of the story as a whole is very focused on Carl. It seems like Kirkman is putting a lot of effort into molding and developing Carl into the man he will need to become in order to sit the throne and lead the people of the Grimes Nation. I'm loving it though; this has been building for years; watching Carl grow up and deal with experiences and trauma, watching Rick struggle to keep him safe and preserve his humanity, watching Rick stop at nothing to protect his son and show him the way, the way to be an even better man than he was. And now; all these little things are coming full circle; and coming to fuition. All those things Rick wanted to teach Carl, all the things he wanted him to understand an be are done now. Now it's time for Carl to strike out and put all those things to the test; to find out for himself if he's got what it takes, and if he's got the strength, courage, and integrity to be the man he's destined to be; a man the caliber of his father.

9. jwcoombs

10. jwcoombs

11. jwcoombs

12. jwcoombs

13. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

I'll comment more, but Gregory is a stupid moron and Jesus dropkicking him is amazing.

14. Taeyeon'sBF

Taeyeon'sBF Well-Known Member

Seeing Gregory get rekt was worth the price alone. Hunk of garbage. I hope the person they choose to cast him will do a great job.

15. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

Holy shit my boy Dante!!!!!!
    wow Lydia is actually a scared little girl.... Carl should of never stuck it in now he's hooked
    I like the way you analyzed the Whisperers [MENTION=25512]jwcoombs[/MENTION] and agree.
    there was no better way to start this issue then with a drop kick from Jesus.
    I'm happy it is only a two week wait until next issue, but I feel it won't give us any insight to this. I believe that will be a rick driven issue which in fine with.

16. zeke10

zeke10 Member

Wait so does that mean Joshua was the only one that was nice to her?

17. halcyon

halcyon Member

Oh, Maggie... a little disappointed that she agreed to Alpha's terms so easily. Stay off our lands? Maggie could have at least asked what lands they consider to be theirs so they make sure not to intrude again.

And then there's Carl. I don't think he's actually going to confront the whisperers alone (mostly because that would be a stupid thing to do), he's probably going to ASZ to ask Rick to send a group out to rescue Lydia. I hope.

18. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

I really like Oscar. I wonder how old he is. He looks a bit younger than I thought he was, with his beard tied up like that. What an interesting beard choice.

19. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

There is one thing on Maggies mind at this moment....
    Gregory

20. WatWD

WatWD Member

I hope I didn't say anything to make you believe this. I think it is great that you get access to it about a day before I do. I can't speak for everybody but judging by the posts on this thread that have the "I love spoilers" I would guess it doesn't bother them if you post early. Besides, "early" is all relative. Some got access to it here in the states at Midnight this morning, I got to the comic shop before lunch, some won't get the comic till this evening ... so what is "early"? Post away brother.

On a separate note, this was awesome issue but it felt kind of weird ending the volume this way. Not with the Carl cliff-hanger but with the continued absence of some of our beloved characters. Makes me wonder is RK just giving them a break and leaving us desiring them more or is he about to kill one/some of them off.