Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

142 Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 24: Life and Death' started by WatWD, Jun 5, 2015.

1. boba772

boba772 Member

I am really hoping Rick dies soon and Carl takes over. xD

Really hoping Dante survives as well, he is cool. Liking Maggie, she is at least trying. And Jesus is cool as always.

I wonder if Rick does kill Lydia, as someone suggested. That would be one hell of a plot twist! (I really like Lydia though so I hope that doesn't happen haha.)

2. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

Is it just me or the comics are getting boring?

3. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

It's just you. :p

4. boba772

boba772 Member

Yeah most def just you. xD I am loving the direction the comics are heading. :D

5. WatWD

WatWD Member

It is just the tension that RK keeps up with in the story line. The rise of civilization vs. the violence/barbarism needed to survive in the ZA. Everything gets quiet you think the new society is firmly planted and then something comes along to stir the pot.

You have to have the lull so that you can see the shift in priorities. Then, the new menace appears to add the stress, change in priorities, etc. I don't know what is coming ... but I expect it will be proportional to the lull. That is, the longer the peace the greater the new threat will be. I'm guessing the death of someone major but I don't know how. The Whisperers, random walkers, a heard, Negan, natural disaster, natural causes, etc.

6. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

I am honestly loving this arc so much. I just feel that so much is going on right now, and I feel like Kirkman is doing a fantastic job in juggling all of these different storylines. I'm really excited now because we are seeing these storyline starting to weave together. Just last issue, we had the fair, Gregory's execution and the Whisperers start to overlap. And you know that with all of this buildup, the payoff will be massive, and it will feel really satisfying with all of these issues that set that up. Kirkman has become a better writer than ever, and it is showing.

7. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

I feel like the blood katana, along with the issue tagline-"Blood for Blood"- symbolizes the idea that Michonne will seek vengeance for the death of someone she cares about deeply(Rick,Carl, Andrea...maybe Zeke??).

8. jwcoombs

Ah, okay. That makes things a little less confusing. If that's the case then this could wind up being a pretty cool narrative device. They've never really toyed with the timeline that much in the comic; but it worked really well in Season 4B. So, I think it could be pretty compelling in the comic. You know, same general principle--have several of the core characters separated and in different locations(like several of them already are) and then portray each encounter with said characters out of chronology and then slowly tie everything together using subtle hints, dialogue, foreshadowing, etc.

9. jwcoombs

I was thinking the same thing. I mean, although Alpha was standing at a bit of a distance outside the Hilltop's walls when she and Maggie parlayed; I feel like the largest hostile-human threat the communities have encountered since Negan and the Saviors would be something that would not be easily forgotten or pushed to the subconscious mind. Even though many of the on lookers may not have gotten the best look at Alpha, and they definitely didn't get a genuine glimpse at the other Whisperers due to them all being in their walker-garb, I feel like she's got such a distinctive look that it would very obvious and easy to see from a distance and hard to forget. I mean, how many middle-aged, female skin-heads(<--see what I did there?) have we seen roaming around the apocalypse? Answer: 1. Granted she wore her mask during that first encounter, but she eventually removed it.

Aside from the bystanders who could recognize her, there are several survivors who had very direct, face-to-face encounters with Alpha. Namely, Dante, Ken, and Maggie. Now, conveniently Dante has joined Rick's posse and rode off into the sunset to help Rick navigate lands that he lied about exploring and mapping(I think that may come to light, as well as the fact that Maggie didn't send anyone to look for Carl and Dante may wind up paying the price and suffering the Grimes-Wrath). But, Ken and Maggie are present at the fair. So, there is still the possibility of her being made, but then again--it wouldn't be compelling espionage if there was no chance of her being found-out. But like you said, she most likely will not be spotted. I mean, when you think about it she has made a life out of blending into the crowd and hiding in plain sight.

That being said; I'm happy that the story seems to be taking a "Cold War" style turn like I had hoped it would. Honestly, I'm excited to see a conflict not rooted directly in violence and brutality. For once, it's not about survival of the fittest but the wittiest and most deceitful.

10. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Probably Dante. I felt a real connection between Michonne and Dante in this issue.

11. WatWD

WatWD Member

I could see it being Dante. Which would explain why RK pulled him from the background into the foreground more and gave him a little more frame time. To get some connection with the readers before killing him off and torment Maggie (of the cursed Greene family). That would explain the "I don't want to and I'm scared but I'm doing it for you" conversation. Then again, he could come back and it deepen the relationship with him and Maggie.

12. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think Dante is a strong possibility for a death, or maybe even Ezekiel (since he has the katana). It is also possible that Whisperers are killed by Rick's team and they are out for blood. I'm starting to think that a death of a major long term character is less and less likely, as none of them fit. I know people think that should happen because it hasn't in a while, but it really doesn't.

Also, anyone think it would be possible that Rick would trust Negan enough to save Carl? I think Negan would be willing.

#92 ltomlinson31, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  13. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

The announcement of the Michonne Telltale game makes me think she's at least a little safe... Which also makes me more worried for Andrea.

14. jwcoombs

After reading #143 I think I may have been onto something with Zeke. Think about it. After Pete confirms that Michonne still love him; he takes off running, excited and elated. A boy in love rushing desperately to find the woman he loves and embrace her. When a man is in that state of mind; he'll stop at nothing to be with her. He won't simply sit around and wait for her to come back; the sense of urgency with something like that is palpable.

Next, think about who was talking to Earl Sutton literally seconds before Zeke showed up. That's right, it was Alpha. Also, it seemed that Alpha was on her way out of the fair, apparently having obtained the intel she came for after talking with Earl. Then, after a short conversation with Earl and then Pete, Zeke was also on his way out.

Now, we already know Earl had made a comment to Zeke about how that woman was strange and he didn't know her. Now, Zeke wasn't too worried at the moment as he was preoccupied with his passion. But, as he goes running out of the fair and gets on the road to go find Michonne and express his undying love for her he may notice that same peculiar woman who rubbed Earl the wrong way on the road as well. Except, she's all by herself, and heading in a direction that doesn't lead to any of the communities.

It could be he decides to ride up on her an question her; harmless enough--Zeke just wants to make sure everything's kosher. He approaches her with a friendly demeanor, stating he doesn't seem to recognize her and asks her name and what community she resides in. Alpha is spooked, and is worried about blowing her cover--especially since she is at a huge disadvantage being deep within enemy territory all by herself. So, she makes the split second decision to murder Zeke and double-time it back to the Whisperer Camp.

Somehow, whether on the way back from their encounter with the Whisperers on the road; or possibly after having to rescue Rick, Carl and Lydia in violent and explosive fashion--Michonne discovers Zeke's body in the middle of the road on the way back to ASZ(being eaten by a few walkers much like Abe's body was discovered).

This would explain the #145 cover with the bloody katana and "Blood for Blood" tagline. It would also make a lot of sense as far as the narrative goes. Think about it; it's tragic. Michonne has been punishing herself; not allowing herself happiness as she feels she doesn't deserve it. Zeke discovers she still loves him and rushes off to embrace her and express to her how much he loves her and that she does deserve everything she has. But, he never makes it. He's slain, for what to him appears to be no reason, in the midst of his passion filled, love-drunk joy. What was most likely the happiest day he'd experienced in some time.

This prompts Michonne to go on a rage-fueled rampage for vengeance.