Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

1x05 "Cobalt" Complaints and Criticism

Discussion in 'Episode 105 - Cobalt' started by H5N1, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Zalanii

Zalanii Member

Probably a lot like Katrina, everyone headed towards the arena to be safe, would imagine there was a mix of some people being infected, perhaps even a sickness like cholera wiped through people, and bam.

Everyone turning so fast, they just chained the doors and wiped their hands clean of it.

2. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

The humans are more horrifying than the undead. What I love about TWD is that we are following good people who have each other's backs even in the worst of situations. Here we are being introduced to too many people who are themselves the worst of what we can be. It will be fascinating to see how Daniel, the devil incarnate per dying Griselda, survives. But then we also have Cuff Link Guy, and even the two kids trash a home just for nihilistic joy. There is no excuse for the kids to bring more ugliness into an ugly situation unless ugly just is their true nature, which is my working hypothesis now. Why would I root for any of these people in an apocalypse. Good. Take them, apocalypse. You can have them.

Well, except Daniel. I still want to see how the devil walks through this new world.

My really big objection is that it is all moving too fast. The U.S. military would not fail in nine days. Communications would not be shut down to prevent people from knowing everyone who dies rises again as a monster and the only way to contain the situation is via brain injury. As soon as the medical community suspected, that info would be on TV, internet, newspapers, billboards, and bullhorns. No reason not to tell people. If the dead need to stay dead, you tell people how to accomplish that.

saefields' example of the Katrina collapse was a really good observation of how fast society can disintegrate. But the Ebola scare was a really good example of how good we are at overkill in containing a potential biologic threat of mass death.

This was billed as a show about How Society Collapsed, and that was what I really, really wanted to see. If it was only going to be a one-week or two-week time lapse into a zombie show based in LA, they shouldn't have oversold it.

3. Lindigo

That is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Too bad....

4. Lindigo

I love this post. For me, I can't be certain this is the single worst episode of any TV show I've ever watched all the way through in my whole life, but it is way up there. It is certainly the worst episode of any show I had high hopes for, so that hugely amplifies my disgust with it. I wonder if I will be one of the die-hards who will go on watching it, all the while hoping it will be cancelled to save me from myself, or if I will just give up on it.

5. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I can't argue with any of what yo have said.
    They sold it one way but delivered something entirely different somehow?

6. Lindigo

You said it very well, EZD: "It is just too much to ask that we understand or accept this all with ZERO evidence or idea how it all came to this in 9 days." Such a disappointment.

7. Lindigo

In the synopsis blurb for the episode, what was the difficult decision?
    "Travis and Madison make a difficult decision."

8. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Got it.

9. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

I would have liked to see Moyers actually get taken down. This may lead to running in to MoyerZ ...next week ?

10. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Me too. That guy was a dick. And whether he was fragged or not. Because if he were my commander, he definitely would have been shot.

11. Strife

Strife Member

Complaint: Alicia not taking that dress off

12. Thrishmal

Thrishmal New Member

I have to agree, I have been kind of disappointed so far. I am not terribly interested in any of the characters except a few because of their acting skill. The premise started off interesting enough, but all we get now is an unrealistic portrayal safe zones and hardly any of the collapse most of us wanted to see :-/

13. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

I was kinda hoping Golfdick would get the Aiden treatment.

14. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

His real name is Keyser Söze.

15. JameRose

JameRose Member

IMHO Travis' decision was whether or not to shoot dunkin donuts girl, and Maddie's decision was whether or not to keep Adams kidnapped and tortured in order to get her kid back. In both situations they were given difficult choices. Lt. Moyers gave Travis the option of shooting the girl or not, Daniel asked Maddie which one is it, do you want your son back or not? To me and you those might not be difficult decisions because we know the world of shit they are about to encounter, but to Travis and Madison those seem like very difficult decisions. However; the synopsis does seem to imply that they both were faced with the same decision. hmmm. In that case I would say it was keeping soldier lover boy hostage or not once Travis came back and realized what was going on. At first it seemed he was going to try to set him free but quickly changed his mind once he heard what he had to say. :)

16. Tara La Reine

Tara La Reine Member

Even if the plan is to kill everyone, I can't imagine that'd be a job for the rank and file soldiers. Didn't they use napalm in Atlanta?

17. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

That is a mindnumbingly bad idea. Why the military kill healthy, able-bodied people?

It'll more sense to conscript every survivor, give them a gun and training, and try to recapture walker infested territory. It'll be easy to rally the populace to take back the lives they once lived. It'll be hard to convince soldiers to mass murder civilians. Doing so would incite mutiny and chaos through the ranks.

I can't believe how bad the writing is on this show. Imagine how awful the ratings would be if this wasn't a TWD spinoff show.

18. Lindigo

Such a good point.

19. Lindigo

Thanks. I got so frustrated with not figuring it out, I asked on a new thread and people gave me the same answer. I like your idea that they may come together in deciding whether to let him go. I sure hope they do. Daniel will want to finish him off so he doesn't report to his unit, but if they have all already pulled out, maybe they can all let him go. It would be helpful to have his military intelligence and training if they all become an intrepid clan of survivors. Both not wanting to make Ofelia go berserk might keep the two men safe from killing each other.

20. Tara La Reine

Tara La Reine Member

There is very clearly nowhere near enough personnel to pull off training every survivor, and probably not even enough guns. And while slaughtering people isn't the best idea, it's hardly fair to blame FTWD's "bad writing". That's been TV canon since the first season of the original TWD.