Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

2020 current racial troubles

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

This is kind of funny, and kind of sad. An armed carjacking was occurring in Minneapolis and the thief who was shooting at police was shot dead. Black Lives Matter heard about the ongoing event and showed up to protest - only to turn around and go back to the Floyd protesting site when the "victim" of the police shooting turned out to be a white carjacker and not a black one. Seriously, you want to protest the death of someone who is actually shooting at the police?

And as an aside, what does it say about BLM when they hear about a carjacking and *assume* it's a black man who's responsible?

I guess that movement's over.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/blm-protesters-rally-for-victim-leave-after-learning-he-was-white

#461 Morgotha, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  2. Morgotha

@Purri, here's a great example of a family selling their house and the husband and children moving to where the wife's job took them. If this isn't a great example of the progress of women in the workplace, I don't know what is.

"Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett has sold the South Bend, Indiana home where she’s lived with her family for the last 19 years, according to a local report.

The justice and her husband Jesse Barrett are said to have sold the Harter Heights home to a University of Notre Dame professor about two weeks after the brick Arts and Crafts-style house hit the market, the South Bend Tribune reported on Monday. The 4,232-square-foot space was listed for $899,900, though it’s unclear how much the property ultimately sold for.

Jesse said they sold the house so he and their seven children could join Amy in Washington, D.C. in time for the upcoming school year, describing the decision as "what’s best for our family."

"We moved here in 2002 when Amy got her teaching job at Notre Dame, and we have lived in this house since then," he told the Chicago Tribune. "It’s a 1915 Arts and Crafts style house, and my recollection is that it was built by someone in the school of Frank Lloyd Wright.""

https://www.foxnews.com/real-estate/justice-amy-coney-barrett-sells-indiana-home-listed-899g

3. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Derek Chauvin guilty on all charges.

4. purriwinkle

Well Mo, the whole point of my posts was to point out that external forces can contribute to frustration which results in a boiling point where people mass together in public protest.

This was in rebuttal to your post about self worth being the answer which seemed to me to be a denial that ANY marginalized group might take to the streets and/or social media due to the status quo which kept them from reaching their full potential.

My example of women in the Tech workplace was the first thing that came to mind that wasn’t strictly racial. Tech jobs and women have been in the news, i.e. the Time mag article which I had just read. Of course, there have been successful women in the field but there is certainly no equity at this point in time. It used to be the same in medicine but that situation is improving.

In 2019-20, 13,314 predoctoral dental students were female (51.6%), and 50.6% (3,215) of graduates of the class of 2019 were female. In comparison, the percentage of graduates who were female was 46.2% in 2009, 35.3% in 1999, 27.6% in 1989, and 11.7% in 1979.

Women make up a little more than one-third of the professionally active physician workforce in the U.S., according to March 2019 data from the Kaiser Family Foundation. A little more than 1 million professionally active physicians are currently practicing in the U.S., 359,409 of whom are female.Feb 13, 2020

I’m sure STEM and tech positions will eventually turn around as well, but the male establishment will no doubt buck the trend if they can while giving lip service to it. Congratulations on being successful.

As far as football goes, I don’t see many women physically being able to play with those really big guys and while there are more male nurses than ever before numbers lag because nursing has been seen historically as a “women’s” job. It’s worse in dental where only 9% of men are hygienists. Things will improve as licensed auxiliaries are seen as competent contributing members of the medical and/or dental team and not glorified gofers. Already NP and PA’s can work independently of the doctor depending on the state.

About women having to leave or work part time due to having babies, well, they’re the only ones who can do it. What about adequate childcare solutions to make it easier to women to continue their careers full time? Or working from home? The pandemic showed it can be done. Why discriminate?

Again, don’t tell me self worth alone is the answer. When it comes to race inequalities those people have been held back time after time from the moment they were forced into slave labor in this country. In general, the people on top seldom cede their position willingly. They often have to be forced by public opinion, and changing societal mores. I think all are agreed that violence during peaceful protest doesn’t make the message any clearer but muddies the water and gives the opposers an excuse to say, see? That’s how they are...they don’t deserve x, y, z.

5. purriwinkle

Yeah, great! It’s nice to see that the husband was willing to pull up stakes and go with his wife. God, knows it’s usually the woman who has to follow her man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Morgotha

Sure, groups that feel marginalized are going to act up. Sometimes that's justified, sometimes it's not. The key to one's OWN feelings of self-worth though come from inside.

On tech as an industry, remember this is still a *new* industry and *most* of the companies out there still have their founders as CEO's. Many of the executives are the friends of the CEO and they went to school each with each other, etc. Boys like that type of thing more than girls do in general, and IMO it's no surprise that things are the way they are. As the industry matures it will become more balanced. These people want to make *money*, and whatever will make them the most money is what they'll do.

And I think it's funny you are opposed to the men in tech who supposedly exclude women from jobs, but don't say the same for nurses who exclude men. I'd bet a group full of women nurses with a female nursing supervisor can make a lone man feel very unwelcome, give him all the dirty jobs, moving boxes, transporting patients, etc.. How is this not the same thing?

On children, c'mon, man! Sure women are the only ones who can have children and breastfeed, but after that? Both parents could do the same work equally. Do they? Generally, no. The reality is women tend to get the brunt of these responsibilities in part because we have to, and truthfully, in part because we want it that way. And "no", I'm not saying you never want help or are just aching to sit with a sick child, you want *help*, but do you *really* want your husband raising your child 100% of the time while you just go to work? I don't think most women do.

And my point was that as this is the reality, in the workplace women can get away with things that men can't. That's the other side of the "not as much respect or wages" coin.

At the end of the day, self-worth through earning respect *is* the answer.

7. purriwinkle

I think ALL people have some degree of self respect which, as I stated, is actually the impetus for social unrest and/or protest when they feel the “system” is treating them unfairly.

I chuckled when I read your supposed example of what it would be like to be a male member of a traditionally female health care position. My husband and I both worked in the “health care” field and from my experience lone male students were usually fawned over by the females in the group. The only stories I heard were when someone was brought into the ED who was high as a kite and combative, once security handed them over the females in the dept, looked to the males to subdue them cause they didn’t want to get hit, LOL.

Quite frankly, I’m glad my working days are behind me although I enjoyed my position, co-workers and most of my bosses through the years. It will be up to the younger women to change the world.

8. Morgotha

LOL, I'd be willing to bet the occasional young female student gets fawned over by all the males in the group at a computer place as well. It's a bit different though when it's a permanent employment situation and people are arguing over vacation days, salary, who has to do what, etc. Is it going to be the *same*? No, because men and women do things differently in general. I'd bet it can be pretty miserable either way, though, given the right people in charge.

9. Morgotha

As a bit of humor, this Sheriff's deputy made a video poking fun of LeBron. It's pretty funny, and down towards the end of the article are the parts that make the most sense.

Anyway, the video's about a police officer arriving on the scene where one black guy is stabbing another, and he calls LeBron to ask for advice. It ends with the cop saying, "sorry guys, I've gotta go, you're on your own."

https://www.newsweek.com/tiktok-video-cop-mocking-lebron-james-viewed-over-24m-times-1586292

10. Morgotha

So can we call this a hate crime? This woman has had her license to drive suspended 14 times, and while driving drunk this time ran over a policeman, killing him. She also does a podcast where that very evening she was filmed saying, "F the police", etc., and ranting about Chauvin and other disparaging things about the police. Then she goes out and kills a police officer. Isn't that a hate crime?

Not that it will matter to his wife and children to whom he's lost, regardless, but it's time for this woman to pay for what she's done. Her saying, "I'm sorry" doesn't bring him back to life.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/drunken-driver-nypd-im-sorry

11. purriwinkle

There’d be several people alive now, who didn’t deserve to die if the cops had said “sorry guys, I’ve gotta go, you’re on your own.” Frankly, I don’t know why the cops are the first people to get called in every single instance when it’s become painfully clear they aren’t trained or equipped to handle every situation. I would go out of my way to use every single resource available to me before I’d get the police involved if it didn’t involve a violent crime, which is where the cops excel.

Personally I’d love to see law enforcement emulate Mayberry where Andy knew the people he policed and went out of his way to actually solve problems before the guns came out. It seems to me that for everyone’s sake retraining in deescalation, adjunctive personnel who specialize in mental illness and/or social work need to be integrated into the department. Walk a damn beat if at all feasible. Meet the people in the neighborhood. Work more closely with neighborhood watch groups.

Reboot the image.Talk instead of bark orders. You’re supposed to be peace keepers not the gestapo. Learn to shoot smarter in situations that aren’t life and death....and learn the difference. Read the room better.

Take baby steps towards the ideal if necessary but let’s see some progress.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. purriwinkle

So? And some states are making it legal to drive your car into peaceful protestors. What about their families? Are those drivers going to be sorry?

Frankly, drunk drivers have taken many innocent lives. That’s where the crackdown needs to continue to be. Yes, hard consequences for anyone who injures or kills anyone, in any situation if they drive while impaired by alcohol or drugs.

13. Morgotha

And that sounds great, but it's not reality today. What about the recent situation where a police officer arrived after being called about a woman trying to stab another woman, and when he arrived on scene the woman was actively trying to stab another woman. After she kept trying to stab the other woman he ended up shooting her to save the other woman's life and the police officer was STILL said to be in the wrong by a lot of people! There's no way they can do the job they are trained to do in a culture like that. And you know what I missed seeing? Where was the family of the victim after this? Why wasn't there video of them *thanking* the police for saving their daughter's life? Showing some appreciation would go a long way towards making the police feel like they are *wanted* in the community in the first place.

As far as sending out social workers, etc., I'm fine with that, but I wonder how long it'll take for the same community to complain when a social worker shows up instead of an armed police officer and there's some bad outcome as a result. Not long, I bet.

14. Morgotha

Some Good News on the police front:

"
    A Denver police officer facing charges in a wrong-way crash received some support from an unlikely source this week: a truck driver who suffered a broken leg in the crash.

Christopher Cordova says he’s willing to forgive Officer Jacob Marsh, who was arrested Tuesday on a possible felony charge of vehicular assault, according to FOX 31 of Denver.

"He was doing his job," Cordova told the station, referring to the police officer. "Do I think the gentleman needs to lose his job over this situation? I don’t."

Marsh was traveling 75 mph in a 45 mph zone in an unmarked vehicle April 13 while pursuing a driver who was heading in the wrong direction down a street, court documents say, according to FOX 31.

Along the way, the police officer crashed his vehicle into Cordova’s work truck. The officer suffered a broken hand while Cordova suffered his injury, the station reported.

But Cordova claims the crash was an accident, not a crime, FOX 31 reported.

"If you can’t forgive, you can’t move on and you can’t grow," Cordova said. "That’s my belief.""

https://www.foxnews.com/us/denver-t...cer-who-crashed-into-him-he-was-doing-his-job

15. purriwinkle

First off, I’m not suggesting you send in the adjunct personnel alone but with at least one uniformed cop. I know you like L&OSUV, and I don’t know if you still watch, but last weeks epi where Olivia de-escalated the woman threatening a guy with a gun who was going to evict her from her restaurant was a good example of de-escalation. Now, no one is as good as fictitious Capt. Benson, lol, but it showed how some situations might be talked through without loss of life.

The problem with the young girl with a knife was that she was a minor....and I suppose, because she was wielding a knife and not a gun. I wasn’t there but perhaps the people involved thought the cops would tackle her, tase her, or maybe shoot her in the leg, but not kill her. It turned out, no one was happy and the cop is probably on administrative leave. No thank you there.

16. purriwinkle

The man survived. he can afford to be magnanimous. If he had been killed I’d put money on it that the family would be singing a different tune.

17. Morgotha

Actually, SVU is the one L&O I do NOT watch! I really like the old-school Law and Order the best, but will also watch Criminal Intent because I like Goren, hee hee.

SVU is just too creepy for me.

On the "young girl", if it was MY daughter whose life was saved, I'd have told the officer "thank you".

18. purriwinkle

Yeah, they get down and dirty on SVU.

19. Morgotha

Yeah, but even if he was killed he wouldn't complain about it.o_O I appreciated the fact that he recognized the cop was chasing someone who was endangering the public. I think that's a good thing.

And you know, some people *do* forgive the person who killed their family members, so we really don't know what the family would do.

20. purriwinkle

Yeah, we do. Although some might forgive, the majority would hire a lawyer and sue.