Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

2020 current racial troubles

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

That's totally a threat and very mafia-esque. It's very similar to a stereotype mafia extortion tactic.

"See, youz need to pay us so we. can. protect. youz! Dis neighborhood ain't safe. Who knows what could happen? To you? Your family? Or to dis property? You never know. One day it might all be gone! We don't want any of that to happen to youz, so just pay us the money and then... there's no problems for you. Capiche?"

2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

From the article by The Hill:

Fernando Martinez, owner of La Bodeguita de Mima, on East Market Street, claimed that after a protest closed the street on July 24, demonstrators told him he “better put [the list of demands] on the door so your business is not f---ed with.”

I see this as not necessarily the policy of the “manager”, who said it wasn’t intended as a threat, but those in the protest group, who were not necessarily at the top of the chain of command, doing their own thing. Now Crittenden has to answer. It happens, ask Ellen, o_O

Not one of their better ideas if you ask me.

3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Don Corlione doesn't have to approve of every decision. If a couple of goons grab you and put you in a pizza oven - the point gets across regardless of whether the Don wanted it or not.

If the BLM workers threatened him, it's still a valid threat and likely to be carried out regardless of what the boss thinks. Unless... did the boss give his personal apology to the business owner on T.V. and tell him that to prove it was a misunderstanding the BLM organization would pay for any and all damage to his business regardless of who caused it? If he made a sincere apology like that and backed it up with financial liability to his group, I'd believe it.

4. purriwinkle

I hate to tell ya but Don Corleone knows everything involving his operation. You go rogue you might find yourself “sleeping with the fish”, lol. No equivalency of the two groups really, but it makes for an entertaining turn of phrase.

There was no mention of any property damage occurring. If a case is being made that the letter being displayed would save them from subsequent property damage, like protection money, I guess, then nothing has been damaged yet. There is nothing more to apologize for except for the fact that the business owners felt threatened and the intent was misunderstood. When everything is said and done, if the demonstrators cause damage now they should be held liable

5. Morgotha

Right, one doesn't burn down someone's business and THEN ask for "protection" money, that defeats the purpose. You ask for the money first and THEN burn down the business if the victim doesn't pay up.

We differ on intent. I don't think the intent was misunderstood at all. To me, the intent seemed crystal clear. And if the BLM leader did NOT want his minions threatening people, he should apologize for their conduct and do what he can to make it right. OTOH, if it really is his intent to threaten businesses, he should just say some mealy-mouthed disclaimer and have things continue as they are.

The next time there's a riot protest someone can torch a building or two to make his point for him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. purriwinkle

He made his statement. Nobody apologizes anymore, it seems, unless it means a job loss, or becoming a pariah. Now is the time for a “staff meeting” to make sure everyone is on the same page prior to the next protest march. I suppose that’s all you can do considering you don’t know who will show up to the next “event”.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Morgotha

I agree that that's the trouble with being the titular head of a mob. The mob does what it wants, hopefully it's what you want as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Morgotha

The link below is to 8 minutes of bodycam footage from George Floyd's arrest. He is taken out of the car he was in the driver's seat of, and refused to get in the police car as he said he was claustrophobic. He was saying, "I can't breathe" before the police had him on the ground, and in fact he is the one who asked to go to the ground as he wouldn't get in the cop car.

HIs toxicology report shows a lethalish dose of fentanyl and methampthetamine (tolerance varies widely), as well as being positive for the covid virus.

Did the cops kill him? Eh, he may have died even without the help of the police, but in the end their actions didn't help. As a pathologist friend of mine likes to say, "the law doesn't promise you a healthy victim", so they are liable, in my opinion.

Is he some kind of hero? This is a man who when previously high on drugs led 4 men in a home invasion of a pregnant woman and held a gun to her stomach while the others robbed her house, as well as having prior convictions for drugs, trespassing and theft. At the time of his attempted arrest and death, he was high on drugs and driving (endangering both himself and the people around him) and trying to pass off fake bills, and stealing the cigarettes when his counterfeit money wasn't accepted - again while high on drugs.

Minneapolis is better off without former officer Chauvin, but IMO, Minneapolis is *also* better off without George Floyd continuing to commit crimes and endanger the public.

9. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I still maintain that what happened to him, should not have happened. It certainly did not look good for the MPD. It sounds like he very well could have died anyway, but we'll never know for sure. And like you said, the police certainly didn't help matters.

But I don't think that he should be seen as a martyr or as a saint. No woman or mother on this planet should be celebrating this man after what he did.

10. purriwinkle

You might want to read what this forensic pathologist had to say on the subject.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/working-stiff/86913

Even if the man was a previously convicted felon, the police were charged with taking him into custody, not murdering him.

11. Morgotha

That article was from June 5th, written before the toxicology report, more complete bodycam videos, etc., were available to the public, so I think they weren't incorrect based on the information available at the time, but if they revisited the subject they might come to a different conclusion.

And I'm NOT saying that former police officer Chauvin acted appropriately, he most likely did contribute to if not cause Floyd's death.

The point was about Floyd himself, and IMO Minneapolis is better off without him.

12. purriwinkle

I’m not sure there would be any other conclusion based on newer toxicology reports. The Forensic Pathologist already notes there were drugs in the man’s system. Facts already in evidence at the time this was written.

It also doesn’t matter what other videos are out there as it doesn’t change the fact that Chauvin kneeled on Floyd’s neck, continuing to do so after he became unresponsive. What led up to it is immaterial.

As the author concludes:

The death certificate's "other significant conditions" -- Floyd's natural heart disease and the presence of drugs of abuse in his tested blood -- do not excuse the officers, nor should they cause anyone to blame the victim. They are there on the death certificate because those findings, in the opinion of the medical examiner, would have made his death more likely. They are not the cause of death. The cause of death is police restraint.

I prefer not to sit in judgement of the worth of a man’s life, even if he seems to have been a bad apple.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Morgotha

But there's a difference between having 'drugs in one's system' and have drug levels consistent with a lethal overdose.

Again, I'm NOT saying Chauvin's actions were acceptable.

And I understand about not judging people, but failing to differentiate between worthwhile and evil behavior, rewarding one and punishing the other, is one big reason our once beautiful cities to become violent garbage dumps. Does Minneapolis really NEED another violent drug addict? No it does not.

14. purriwinkle

For someone who had a “lethal dose” of illegal drugs in his system, it would seem he was doing just fine until he got a knee to his neck. In his case, the drugs apparently were not as lethal as the knee.

Floyd didn’t gain notoriety because he was a felon but because he was murdered by the police. I’m going to say he was out on the street to begin with because he did the time for his crimes. He could have possibly gone to jail again for passing counterfeit money if he was convicted. People are not rewarding his bad behavior but rising against the heavy handed tactics of modern day police especially against people of color.

It’s only your opinion that our once beautiful cities are now violent garbage dumps as if violence never existed in big cities before the BLM movement. You’re a hoot.

15. Morgotha

The guy was agitated and saying he couldn't breathe *before* the knee, so he wasn't doing, "just fine".

Floyd's crime *that day* wasn't just passing counterfeit money, it was also:

1: Taking illegal drugs
    2. Driving while on illegal drugs
    3. Attempting to pass off counterfeit money
    4. Stealing merchandise when the counterfeit money wasn't accepted
    5. Resisting arrest

And I say b.s. that this was some heavy handed police tactic *because he was black*. That's crap. They talked to him respectfully for 10 minutes at least and it was only after 4 police officers couldn't get him in the patrol car that things got out of hand. If Floyd would have just gone to jail peacefully he'd still be alive today (assuming his death was the police's fault). If he was white I'd hope and expect he'd get the same treatment. If you are arrested, just do what the cops say. You can fight it in court later. Fighting with the police at the scene is a losing situation, and is the reason he got piled on, NOT because he was black.

And no one brought up the BLM movement in this except you. Don't conflate George Floyd's behavior with the BLM movement..

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. purriwinkle

Exactly, despite any medical distress he was suffering prior to the knee, we’ll never know if “contributing factors” would have killed him or not. We do know that compression of the neck can lead to death. By doing fine, I meant he was able to walk around committing the deeds you cited. He didn’t keel over from anything he had in his system up until he encountered the police.

Perhaps, if the police had called EMS to assist after the initial complaints about not being able to breathe, the medical personnel could have recognized what was going on and Floyd could have been treated and transported in a manner that would not have resulted in his death.

I’m not conflating anything. George Floyd’s death was the catalyst that sparked the current mass BLM protest movement, not that others such as Colin Kaepernick weren’t previously protesting in their own way. This instance with Floyd seemed to give the movement traction. Some of these protests have had violent interactions on our city streets. Isn’t that what you’ve been bemoaning since it happened? Or has the argument shifted to people with drug problems make our cities unsafe and therefore we’re better off without them?

#176 purriwinkle, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  17. Morgotha

Yeah, there are a lot of "could be's". Perhaps if Mr. Floyd hadn't been high on drugs he'd still be alive. Perhaps if Mr. Floyd hadn't been driving high on drugs he'd still be alive. Perhaps if Mr. Floyd had paid for the cigarettes he wanted to smoke with his illegal drugs he'd still be alive. Like you say, we'll never know.

Right. BLM came AFTER Mr. Floyd. So you agree that BLM has nothing to do with the years worth of decay and violence that have been getting progressively worse in our cities. You ARE conflating the two issues.

Regarding violent protests, I don't think the anarchists in Portland give a damn about BLM. But you're right, we're better off without violent protestors. We're better off without violent drug addicts. We're better off without criminals in general. Are you trying to make the case that our society is a BETTER place by having drug-fueled home invasions and violent rioters killing people and destroying property?

18. Morgotha

Purriwinkle, do you really believe these people are contributing to society? Personally, I'd rather the police have cited self-defense as a rationale and shot the arsonists dead.

"
    Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler Thursday evening condemned the actions of rioters who attempted to set fire to a police precinct and blocked the exits while officers were inside.

“When you commit arson with an accelerant in an attempt to burn down a building that is occupied by people who you have intentionally trapped inside, you are not demonstrating, you are attempting to commit murder," Wheeler said in a news conference with Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-mayor-condemns-rioters-for-attempting-to-commit-murder

#178 Morgotha, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  19. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

While Floyd's death was the catalyst for the recent protests, part of the reason it was such a trigger is that this is not the first time we've been in this situation. We've had so many other incidents like it, and part of the reason is that Black people have a different experience with law enforcement in general, and aren't treated the same.

That's the larger issue here. People can parse out individual cases. Many of them will deal with people that have a criminal record. And that's what the courts are for. Police shouldn't kill people in the streets because they have counterfeit money or are under the influence of something.

The thing is that you can get lost in the particulars of any single case and miss the larger overriding issue of fairness and equal justice. That's what we've been working for (at glacial speed) since the inception of this country. It's pathetic that it took 100 years for civil rights after the end of slavery. But it's also demonstrates how the job is not done yet, 50+ years from that last point. Some people want to pretend that it is, just as they wanted to ignore the problems that existed in the 60s. But that's human nature, many want to ignore reality because it's uncomfortable.

People that knew John Lewis said that he was still optimistic for America because he believed that good will win out in the end, and people want to do what is right. I used to be in that camp, but the past 4 years or so have worn me down, and I don't feel the same way. The response to the pandemic has been particularly discouraging. But as President Obama said at his eulogy, "he believed in us, even when we don't believe in ourselves."

I hope he was right...

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Morgotha

WHY do black people have a different experience with law enforcement?

You're right, the police shouldn't kill people because they are committing crimes. At the same time, citizens shouldn't be committing crimes in the first place. The real lesson here isn't about police behavior, it's that if YOU don't want to have trouble with the police, don't commit crimes.

• Winner Winner x 1