Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

2020 election AKA The Biden Thread

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 3, 2019.

1. offrope

offrope Active Member

I try to stay out of these political discussions, because I think I'm considerably older than most of you. I'm retired, and have Medicare. I think I should clear up some things for those who think "Medicare for all" is some kind of great thing. It's not what I thought it was before I actually had it. In fact, it's really not all that great.
    Medicare is NOT free medical care, and doesn't really cover that much. It's very possible, and with something like cancer, likely, that medical care will bankrupt you. And it isn't free in the regard that it costs the Medicare recipient nothing - not true, you pay for it. Yes, Part A is free, but it only covers hospitalization and a few other things, and not very well. There are a LOT of limits, deductibles, and co-pays, and a lot of things that are not covered at all. Part B covers more (you must take both Parts A & B), but it is not free. Part B costs $135.50/month currently, and it is taken from your Social Security check before you even see it, like taxes. Even though you pay for Part B, it still isn't very good. Again, there are many limits, deductibles, and co-pays, and it's still quite possible that a serious illness will bankrupt you. Neither Parts A or B cover prescription drugs (you need to purchase Part D for that), an ambulance ride will still cost a bundle, going into a nursing home will cost you everything you have and more, and a long illness in a hospital will leave you dependent on your family. Many doctors don't even want to see patients who only have Medicare.
    In order to get "free healthcare", a Medicare recipient still needs supplemental health insurance, or a Medicare Advantage plan, either of which can cost quite a bit for "full coverage". A plan similar to what I had at work would cost about $375/month (including the $135 for Part B), and still there are deductibles and co-pays. And it only covers me, not my spouse.

My point is, check out what Medicare actually is before saying Medicare for all would really fix the problems. It wouldn't.

#21 offrope, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I'm retired, too. I have a death grip on my federal health benefit. Kaiser keeps trying to talk me into their Senior Advantage Program, but I will never give up my federal plan. And also Medicare. Jump into all of the conversations, offrope! There is no age bias here. :)

Here I am again, all alone in my far left field, picking daisies and flying kites.

GO, BERNIE!!!!!

:D:D:D:D

#22 Lindigo, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  3. tink

tink Well-Known Member

She is doing what the people who elected her want her to do though. This is the person they voted for.

I don't always agree with her politics, but I admire the fact she takes zero shit from Republicans, and makes them look like the morons they are.

4. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Yeah that's true. Here I am thinking they are going to be thinking the opposite, but you are right, this is what they voted for....this approach.

Oh I totally agree on your second paragraph.

5. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Ha ha! That applies to others, too. For example:

Trump is doing what the people who elected him want him to do though. This is the person they voted for.

I don't always agree with his politics, but I admire the fact he takes zero shit from Democrats, and makes them look like the morons they are.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Yes, and in one way or another it will come back to bite them in the ass I'm afraid.....for many it already has.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. tink

tink Well-Known Member

The difference is pretty obvious though, unless you're a person trying DESPERATELY to protect for Donnie from any criticism. AOC was elected to represent the people of New York. As president, Trump is supposed to represent ALL AMERICANS. Not just the ones who voted for him, particularly when he didn't even win the popular vote. A president is not the same as a congresswoman. There's no point in telling this to the person who's post you responded to though, she only believes Trump and she only listens to Fox News.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. purriwinkle

You make a valid point about a president supposedly representing all Americans, however, much like AOC he ran on a platform. He stood up at rallies and said if I'm elected I will do X, Y and Z and there were enough people in key electoral states that managed to get him to the White House despite his losing the popular vote.

My comment was a way of saying, be careful what you wish for, you might get it. Of those people who voted for him, how many will be getting smaller tax refunds or owe this year because they voted for Donald? How many service men/women will perhaps have to end their military careers because of new policies that won't allow trans gender people to serve unless they do so in their original "biological sex"?How 'bout those mid western farmers that can't sell their crops to China because of the tariffs? I have seen stories where they say they may not get their business back because other countries have moved in to pick up the slack. Do they ever wonder, What the hell did I do? That's why I said if they voted for him, it might come back to bite them in the ass.

I did not vote for him, nor will I in the next election. Personally, I don't care who the democrats finally decide to run, they've got to be better than Donald. I'm tired of all the theatrics and the fact that he failed to step up to the plate and be that guy who at least acts like he's trying to unite and legislate for all Americans. I want someone who at least acts dignified and doesn't use his/her twitter account like a teenager. It would be nice if we could once again elect someone who has a brain in his/her head, who can follow the complexities of goverment , world situaltions, and can understand a briefing, etc. etc. It's a bonus if they don't play golf, lol.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

You can't be serious, or even that gullible. I know that poll you're referring to and I know the questions that were asked to generate those numbers. The questions were ambiguous and complete BS.

"Hey guy, you vote Republican, right? Would you like to see some form of healthcare legislation where poor people get better access to healthcare?

Would you like a healthcare system that is equal and fair for all Americans?

Of course you're going to get a majority of people to support something like that when those are the questions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Of course you'd like her a lot. She's a complete dingbat and she's got crazy eyes. She's basically a non-ginger version of you. lol

You might be a little stand-offish with her now, but give it some time. You'll be drinking her Kool-Aid by the gallon once she runs for president in 2024.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

**** off. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Morgotha

Yeah, and Ocasio is supposed to represent EVERYONE in her district. Do you think ALL of them want her green new deal, free money for all plan? No difference at all between the two except in your head.

13. purriwinkle

Not everyone silly, but we don't elect congressional members by electoral college. It's by popular vote so she gained the majority of votes to win her seat. She's not in my district so I have no idea what rhetoric she used while running but her constituents are probably doing some sort of version of, You Go Girl. Maybe that doesn't play in Peoria but she resonates in NYC.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Morgotha

It's a pretty frightening thought that the average person in NYC wants to enact her green new deal plan. I guess your taxes just aren't high enough yet, but have fun paying to make all those turn of the century buildings "green", getting food to your urban table when the country isn't using fossil fuels, etc.

And what's wrong with the electoral college? Our Founders CHOSE to use the electoral college rather than a popular vote to best represent the varied needs of our country. Therefore, following the blueprint laid down by our Founders, Trump BEST represents the desires of the country's populace regardless of what any other measure may show, the same way that the Founders' plan decided Ocasio best represents the current desires of the people in her area.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tink

tink Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Morgotha

And... what do you believe the important part of the article was? What do you think the most influential factors were for the creation of the electoral college? The coast vs. interior? N vs. S, or slave state vs. free state?

17. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

There is no politician I can root for. They are all terrible people in my opinon and our government is too far entrenched with the corporate elite so any candidate will not make much of a difference. Just who gets rich changes with the government. Still, I will probably vote for whomever the Dems roll out just cause Trump is worse than most others and growing up in New York I've learned to despise him way before his political or television careers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

From everything I've read over the years, it was more about Big State vs Small State. Many of the smaller colonies were deathly afraid of powerful states like Virginia and Pennsylvania taking over and making their voices irrelevant. This was not a nation created at the founding, but a republic of many nations.

19. Morgotha

That's pretty much how I see it, the smaller, rural areas were worried about the big urban states walking all over them. I think Tink was trying to make the case it was all about slavery, but I don't think that was at the forefront of the Founders' minds.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

No, you're wrong! It was always racism. Everything is racist according to modern mainstream media. Our roads. Our toys. Our schools.

Hell, even Oreo cookies promote unfounded racial stereotypes... Two BLACK colored cookies surrounding a WHITE filling?!?!? Are you kidding me???

This is an obvious and filthy attempt to get white women to be fearful of getting doubled up on by two black men.

Don't believe me? No one buys the reverse Oreo cookies because no one wants to talk about two white guys doubling up on a black woman. See, it's all racist!