Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

2020 election AKA The Biden Thread

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I don't blame you, considering how Biden has used the term on numerous occasions throughout his current presidential campaign, RBG used the term before her death, even a LGBTQ publication has used the term in a sincere context. So weird how that term only became controversial after ACB said it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Does that seem unusual to you? There are only 9 members of SCOTUS, and they serve lifetime appointments. How many times do you think a situation has arisen where 1. a SC justice needed to be replaced, and 2. it was the last year of a president's term, and 3. the president and the senate were controlled by opposite parties, and 4. the President was a democrat and the senate was controlled by the Repubs.

LOL, do you think that ALL those conditions get met on a regular basis? FYI, the answer is "no". Here's something from Sen Grassley on the subject.

https://www.grassley.senate.gov/new...epublicans-filling-supreme-court-vacancy-2020

The real point being that differing parties controlled the presidency and the senate 13 times since 1945 and *every* time that happened the Democrats controlled the senate. So... if the Dems controlled the senate, it's kind of unlikely there would be a republican senate to vote on a dem candidate at the same time, isn't it?

That's attempting to be misleading, IMO, making it sound like this is a new thing. Read Sen. Grassley's article. A supreme court vacancy has only happened 29 times during a presidential election year since 1796, and *every* time one did, the President nominated someone to fill it. In every case but one, when the same party controlled both the presidency and the senate, the vacancy was filled, so... not a new thing. That's how it's *always* been, so suck it up and vote for your party to win the senate. When they do, they can approve their presidential year nominees, and punt their opponents'.

Guy's a moron if he does that. Talk about trying to get around the will of the People!

And you'll note that the Repubs had the good sense NOT to proceed in that direction.

3. Morgotha

:rolleyes:

One thing I did discover though is that when the Calif. governor closes churches he is actually violating our first amendment rights TWICE, by banning our freedom of religious practice and our freedom to assemble.

#2223 Morgotha, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  4. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Yes, I found the article you posted interesting too.

The thing is though, that the courts have been "packed" by Republicans. McConnell also held up judicial appointments in the final two years of Obama's term that Jabba then filled when he slithered into office. There were 100 vacancies in the lower courts, along with 17 on the Court of Appeals.

What's most striking though about the Garland nomination isn't that he was rejected, but that he wasn't even given a hearing or a vote. It's not surprising considering McConnell's character, but these are things Democrats need to remember as we move forward.

Dianne Feinstein, who should've retired rather than running for reelection in 2018, is sounding much too concliatory when it comes to expanding the Supreme Court.

It must be done. But it can't be arbitrary. You can't say we're increasing it by 2 seats because McConnell is a bad man and stole Obama's pick. lol

I would set the standard at 13 seats, to correspond with the number of circuit courts. It's a good way to sell it, and it makes sense. Then Brett "I like beer" Kavanaugh and The Handmaid's Tale lady can stay on the court into their 80s. Who cares. They can debate the idiocy of "constitutional originalism" at lunch and yearn for the good old days of the 1950s, or in some cases the 1850s.

This is about power, and exercising it when you have it. The next 2 years need to be like FDR on steroids. Pass legislation, make changes, add protections to our broken system and institutions etc. Just get things done. Republicans will lie anyway about this stuff, so you might as well do it. No fence sitting. And toss some stuff out for the far left so that they don't break away for the 2022 midterms. There are many things I don't agree with there, but I'd rather live with that then the far right, neo-fascism we've seen in recent years. We need more unity and focus.

We have to turn McConnell's tactics back around on the Republicans.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I've been watching Kansas with interest this election, because it's one of the more hopeful things going on now in terms of our long term national outlook. After being subjected to Sam Brownback's horrendous tenure as governor, they're moving more toward rational, 21st century leadership. A Democrat is now governor of the state, and the recent polls have Bollier leading Marshall by 3.5%. If she wins it'd be the first time a Democrat was Senator of Kansas since 1932. Biden is also doing quite well here. It's one to watch on November 3rd.

6. Morgotha

A committee vote on ACB will take place 10/22/20. Let's get this show on the road!

"At the top of the Senate Judiciary Committee's meeting Thursday morning, Chairman Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., introduced and passed a motion setting a time and date for the committee to vote on Judge Amy Coney Barrett's Supreme Court nomination.

Graham announced that the committee will hold a vote at 1 p.m. ET on Oct. 22, one week after the conclusion of the confirmation hearing."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-judiciary-committee-vote-amy-coney-barrett-nomination

7. Morgotha

I think a better solution would be a Constitutional amendment permanently fixing the number of justices at 9.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Morgotha

Stop the campaigning! The dems need to protect their real presidential candidate.

"
    Democratic vice presidential nominee Sen. Kamala Harris' communications director and a "non-staff flight crew member" have tested positive for the coronavirus, Joe Biden's presidntial campaign announced Thursday morning.

Biden campaign manager Jen O'Malley Dillion said that all in-person campaigning by the senator from California - including stops planned for today in the crucial battleground state of North Carolina - have be canceled for the rest of the week and weekend.

Dillion said the campaign learned late Wednesday night that both Allen and the non-staff flight crew member tested positive for COVID-19."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ka...ved-in-campaign-test-positive-for-coronavirus

9. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I will say this, the Harris-Biden campaign seems to be more cautious about this than the Trump-Pence campaign is.

Did I say Harris before I said.....? My bad. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I suppose you and ole Chuck Grassley know more than the Constitution Center article writers whose excerpts I posted. You should write them a letter refuting their findings. Cite Chuck Grassley.

The only reason the Republicans didn’t follow through with their plans was because Ms. Clinton did not win. Good sense had nothing to do with it.

11. Morgotha

Here's the result of one of those below-the-article MSN polls. The two takeaways for me is that many more people than not approve of ACB, and the second is you either love or hate the idea of her being seated, not many people voted, "meh".

"To what extent do you support or oppose nominee Amy Coney Barrett's potential appointment to the US Supreme Court?

Strongly support
    55%

Somewhat support
    3%

Somewhat oppose
    4%

Strongly oppose
    34%

Neutral / Unsure
    2%

Other / No opinion"

• Like Like x 1
  12. Morgotha

Well, you have to take the Constitution Center article for what it's worth as well. For example, in the second line of the article it says that a SC judge can be seated with a simple majority vote. That's "true" from a Constitutional standpoint, but not from an *actual* standpoint throughout most of our country's history. Up until 1970, Senate rules required a 2/3 majority to approve an SC judge, and it got even tougher (I think 3/4 of the Senate to approve someone) after that. It wasn't until Reid's "Nuclear option" on Federal judges that the Senate's rules for approval were changed to a simple majority, with McConnell extending that to SC judges as well.

My point being that if you just read that Constitution Center article, you'd think a simple majority has ALWAYS been required to approve a SC judge, when in fact for the vast majority of our history up until recently that hasn't been the case. IOW, while the article is technically correct from a Constitutional standpoint, from a practical POV which encompasses the actual Senate rules that govern the Senate's conduct, it's incorrect.

Did you actually *read* Grassley's article all the way through, or just comment on it?

And btw, you asked me for my views on fetal stem cells, I did respond on that thread.

• Like Like x 1
  13. purriwinkle

Yes, I will finish the article but Chuck Grassley is hardly a neutral source which I tried to provide.

I did read your answer about the fetal stem cells. While we may be at odds there, I didn’t ask so I could argue with what you felt.
    Thank you. It was a thoughtful reply.

14. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

15. Morgotha

Yeah, I should have been more clear. I meant for you to read the factual parts of Grassley's article for the numbers of judges when one party ruled vs contrasting parties, etc. I didn't mean I expected you to draw the same conclusions *from* those facts as Grassley did.

On the stem cells, I just wanted to make sure you saw my response. thx.

16. Morgotha

I heard that as well. Amazing how fast they can move. It also shows the danger of things in an "ebook" format, they can be changed at will by whoever controls the server they are on. That wouldn't happen with an actual book.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Yeah it's pretty revealing. This also reeks of manufactured controversy.

The day that ACB used the term "sexual preference" an MSNBC producer Tweeted about how the term was "offensive and outdated". That Tweet then spreads like wildfire across the interwebs.

The following day, Hirono conveniently uses that exact verbiage when she decides to lecture ACB.

Meanwhile, there's a slew of Democratic party leaders/left leaning public figures who've used the same exact term when talking about the LGBTQ community, and they've said them VERY recently as well.

RBG used the term in 2017
    Joe Biden did this year
    https://reason.com/2020/10/13/amy-c...rence-joe-biden-confirmation-hearings-hirono/
    Diane Feinstein also used the term in 2017
    https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/pu...YW3g-5bbrxh59I7o99WXw_LQtULMm8cSXGaHt4ydahC3A
    Several other prominent Democratic party leaders did so as well. And not 20 years ago. Recently....
    https://freebeacon.com/courts/barre...e-but-biden-democrats-have-said-it-for-years/

Yet we hear zero negative comments from anyone about it. No condemnation. No lectures. No outrage. No controversy. Then ACB uses the term and KABOOM... All of the above happens.

• Like Like x 1
  18. purriwinkle

Being an older individual, it can be a bit daunting to keep up with what’s PC or not. My daughter corrects me all the time when she thinks I’m using an outdated or offensive term. :rolleyes: Even I knew it should be sexual orientation rather than preference. Older politicians need someone on staff willing to speak up and apprise them of the current terminology if need be.

I think it makes a difference with ACB because she’s younger and should know better...eh....or because up and above mere semantics what terms she chooses to use are considered indicative of her thoughts on the matter, since she refuses to answer where she stands on many issues. Does it reflect a bias one way or the other if it comes down to a decision on her part? People are going to be looking closer because it could directly effect their lives should a challenge arise to rights recently gained.

19. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I personally don't see why or how one's age should make difference on the matter one way or the other. It seems like a very flimsy excuse and holds little relevance to the issue with regard to whether that term is deemed offensive or not. The term was even used in an LGBTQ publication. Is the age of the magazine being called into question? No because it's irrelevant.

It's quite ponderous that no one on social media, in the news media, colleagues, staffers, political opponents, interviewers, etc, never bothered to correct any of those older individuals, who all happen to be Democrats by the way, and inform them that this term was offensive. But now it's a really big deal because someone who's conservative says it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. purriwinkle

Trust me. Depending on what generation you belong to, it can effect your terminology and even understanding of certain situations. Of course, younger people may not have a good idea of generational differences. All I can say to anyone who would think this isn’t valid is wait for it. If one tends to think this bogus, talk to your parents about some of these issues (LGBTQ, abortion even climate change) Take note what terminology they use or how they perceive an issue. I’d bet money that the vast majority wouldn’t be considered “woke”.

We have no idea if the above cited politicians were corrected out of the spotlight. Unfortunately for ACB she’s the star of a very public “reality” show at the moment that over laps a very charged, fast approaching election. Shit ‘s flying fast and furious. I do want to reiterate that what ACB says will be scrutinized more because of the job she is being considered for. Her future actions have the potential for very real consequences effecting people’s lives because she’s ”conservative”.

#2240 purriwinkle, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020