Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

2020 election AKA The Biden Thread

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

That would make for an EXCELLENT Democratic primary! Put all of them on an island and have contests in log rolling, standing and talking for hours, bug eating, etc., and whoever wins is the nominee.

Also, have 50% of the ad revenues go directly to the victor's campaign. I'd watch that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Even the guy who owns Starbucks and acknowledges he is wholly untrained in politics and world affairs and thought of himself as a hope against Trump. What the hell. There are plenty of real hopes against Trump now. Get the f*** out.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Lindigo

And, P.S., why are MORE people STILL announcing. They are as welcomed as much as an extra mosquito flying around and squealing in our ears.

All I can think is that they want "ran for President in 2020" to be in their obituaries. Fine with me, as long as they add the word "idiot" in front of the phrase.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

It is for sure the most ever... by far. I believe there were 10 Democrats that ran in 1992 and pundits were freaking out about that.

5. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

That would be so awesome! Half the country is going to wind up hating this person anyway. We might as well make them earn having the power to potentially ruin our lives. lol

I swear on everything that is holy, if Kamala Harris eats the balls off of a wild boar in order to get tribal immunity, she's got my vote!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Morgotha

Personally, I'd like to see Bernie walking around naked saying, "my pants were a tool of Capitalist oppression".

7. tink

tink Well-Known Member

^^Likely the only human alive who wants to see Bernie Sanders naked, and I'm including Bernie Sanders and his wife.

• Funny Funny x 7
  8. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

BOOM! @Morgotha got roasted!!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Morgotha

Ocasio-Cortes didn't think the last bizarre thing she said was sufficient, so she decided to quadruple down and say that planting cauliflower in NY gardens is "colonial", a.k.a. racist. She also uses that as a reason "people of color" don't use public gardens and thinks they would if they could plant Yucca plants instead. New Yorkers must be an aggressively provincial bunch if they refuse to let people plant yucca in public gardens. Most places let people pretty much plant what they want.

Pretty bizarre. Actually, IMO the reason people don't plant Yucca in NY City is that it would freeze in the winter and never yield a good crop. Yuccas like warm weather and dry soil, at least judging from the fact there natural habitat seems to be the Southwest of the country and Central America, not the cold and wet of the Northeast. Good luck getting a plant that generally grows in zone 8 or 9 to grow in zone 4 or 5!

As an aside, one time I read of a cold weather banana that was supposed to be able to withstand a Midwest winter. I was so happy that I bought one as a test, and in the summer the thing grew like crazy despite the claylike soil. I was so disappointed when it died the first winter. Some things can handle cold, and some can't.

As a comparison to yucca, cauliflower can tolerate up to zone 3, which should mean it grows well in zone 5, which is probably why New Yorkers plant it.

LOL, I don't really get the whole "colonial" bit. Is it that Cauliflower is white and is therefore being colonial by displacing the green yucca? Is that the problem? It's funny how this type of thing can be viewed in different ways. Another way you could look at it is that people who eat foods primarily grown in warm climate are the ones being colonial in taking over the habitat of people who eat cauliflower and bringing their yucca with them, and if they would leave zone 5 and go back to zone 8 there wouldn't be a cauliflower/yucca issue.

"
    “What I love too is growing plants that are culturally familiar to the community. It’s so important,” she said as she filmed a community garden in the Bronx.

“So that’s really how you do it right. That is such a core component of the Green New Deal is having all of these projects make sense in a cultural context, and it’s an area that we get the most pushback on because people say, ‘Why do you need to do that? That’s too hard.’”

She went on to add that growing cauliflower in such gardens is a “colonial approach” and the reason communities of color oppose environmentalist movements.

“But when you really think about it -- when someone says that it’s ‘too hard’ to do a green space that grows Yucca instead of, I don’t know, cauliflower or something -- what you’re doing is you’re taking a colonial approach to environmentalism,” Ocasio-Cortez said.

“That is why a lot of communities of color get resistant to certain environmentalist movements because they come with the colonial lens on them.”"

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ocasio-cortez-growing-cauliflower-colonial

10. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Cauliflower, like most vegetable plants, is annual, meaning you have to replant it every year. So it doesn't matter the heartiness zone. There are very few perennial veges, off hand I can only think of asparagus. Vegetable gardens are newly planted every year. Even potatoes.

Yucca plants aren't vegetables though, so I don't really understand why it would be planted in community gardens? But yeah they're not suitable for NY climate.

And vegetables are just vegetables, not colonial. It's not like we're talking about tobacco or cotton or something like that, with a history behind them.

#430 tink, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  11. Morgotha

LOL, you're right, Cauliflower is an annual, so you wouldn't have to worry about it surviving the winter. Let's put it this way then, a yucca that likes to grow in hot, dry, sandy climates won't do well in New York, and a vegetable that likes frequent watering and cooler climates won't like the Yucca's natural environment. Not that you couldn't force them to live in each other's climate, but you'd have to work at it.

12. Lindigo

13. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

She's a dingbat.... Then again, maybe she's a genius. She's always got something to say and she always makes headlines for her stupid comments. Remind us of someone? Someone who was once a reality tv show host and is now President?

She's been a Congresswoman for less than 6 months and she's already a household name. Imagine the kind of social power she will wield when she's been around for a few years. It scares the crap out of me. lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

Not sure she will be around a couple years

Saying Stuff and Thangs

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lindigo

Go, Bernie. But this is too far--proposing that taxpayers absorb trillions of dollars of existing student debt. No. Retroactive is insane. All you should do is change policies for the future to make free public education available.

It is too bad people are struggling under lifetimes of student debt, but they chose it and life sucks. It is enough to make things better for students who are about to enroll and everyone's future children and grandchildren.

16. Morgotha

I wouldn't mind some college debt repayment for new graduates if the payments were limited to STEM graduates. We could use more tech people, and IMO shouldn't be sponsoring Ph.D.s in contemplative basketweaving.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

A few debate thoughts:

Castro was the best of the group. He's also going to get a lot of media attention now after clobbering Beto. So that's another win for him. He should get a boost.

Klobuchar was the second best for me. She was wobbly on her first question but then settled down. The rest of the way she came across as steady. I just don't see anything from this debate giving her traction though.

Beto shouldn't be running for president.

Now I know why De Blasio's poll numbers are so poor in NYC. The guy is insufferable. I hope this is the last time we see him on a debate stage.

Booker backed down when the moderator brought up his remarks about not singling out certain companies. It made him look weak and vacillating. He even went on to name a couple of companies himself. It was a really bad moment.

18. Morgotha

So my next-day general impressions of the candidates after the first Democratic debate:

Warren: Smart but angry
    Booker: That intense stare is too much. Plus, quit trying to sound like you are from the hood. You were more privileged than most people in the world.
    Klobuchar: Most likely to be responsible in office, but too much of a control freak. Understandable with an alcoholic father, but...
    deBlasio: Citizens are leaving NY at record rates. Your infrastructure is failing. You want to make the country like that?
    Beto: You can speak Spanish. Good for you. Now try answering a question for once.
    Castro: Not bad. See how he holds up. Took Beto to school.
    Gabbard: I came away liking her. Seems tough enough. We'll see.
    Inslee: Wants to make sure, really sure, you can kill your child
    Delaney: Who?
    Ryan: Who?

#438 Morgotha, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  19. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I totally forgot about the debates, and I was thinking about them on the way home from work. o_O

Did Booker really respond to Beto speaking Spanish by.....speaking Spanish?

20. Morgotha

Not that I heard unless I missed that part. Beto started out in his opening question answering at least 50% of his response in Spanish, which might have been great for the Spanish speakers listening, but didn't do much for everyone else. Booker answered a later question in Spanish himself.

Beto is the one who really made an impression - IMO a BAD impression by leading off speaking a language that most people in the U.S. don't speak well enough to debate politics in.