Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

2020 election AKA The Biden Thread

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 3, 2019.

1. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Beto really did not do well, he looked completely out of his depth. Hiss switching to Spanish really looked like pandering to me, the question had nothing to do with Latino issues.

Add the debate performance to his moronic 'war tax' and as far as I'm concerned he is completely out of the running.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

Im not surprised Beto spoke Spanish. I am a little confused as to why he used a french accent a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

LOL you just answered my question, saying *I don't know* and then *yes*. LMAO

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

The Spanish thing seems like just showing off.

5. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

The Governor of my home state, Jay Inslee.... Gawd what an asshole. No one who's of sound mind should ever want him to become President.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the first debate and am looking forward to the second tonight. I didn’t know a hell of a lot about some of the candidates so this was a good introduction since I’m voting democratic.

First off it was nice to listen to people who were intelligent and even bi-lingual for a change after listening to the linguistic crap that comes out of the president’s mouth daily. However, there were too many candidates and not enough time to allow each one to answer every question to my satisfaction. The inherent drawbacks, I suppose, of such a format with so many people.

I’ve always liked Warren. She smart, honest and capable but she’s so soft spoken it worried me a little. I was also impressed by Klobuchar but Castro, who I previously knew nothing about made me raise my eyebrow in a good way. That dude’s got the goods. I wasn’t particularly thrilled with O’Rourke, who came out swinging in Espanol, which was a calculated move to distinguish him in a crowded field. Kinda fell flat considering he wasn’t the only one who could speak Spanish fluently....DeBlasio had to be the first one to interrupt someone else speaking which only reinforces the impression that NYers are loud and pushy. Booker seemed staged and the other poor souls got way too little speaking time. If looks count for anything (it supposedly made a big difference in the televised debate between Nixon and Kennedy) I thought Inslee looked a little rough around the edges, like he was an old time boxer or something.

Let’s see what tonight brings. Biden and Sanders on the same stage ought to be entertaining if nothing else.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I didn’t watch the debate, but have been reading other people’s comments. All the point of views are fun to read, but almost everyone has said that Castro was best or second best. Almost everyone said Beto needs to run for senate and not president.
    Most folks liked either Warren or Castro. If either of these 2 do win, they should pick the other as running mate.

I’m still in the wait and see category, on who to pick.

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 2
  8. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I couldn't make it through the whole debate after seeing effectively all the candidates saying they would decriminalize crossing the border, and give "medicare for all" to illegal aliens.

Just thinking about the numbers for a minute, it's impossible. As an example, say you need one MRI unit and doctors and therapists to staff it for each 25,000 people. Add in "free" coverage for 13 million illegal aliens and that's basically 500 new MRIs that would have to be in place an running at capacity to handle the new load. Now those MRIs aren't built, and the staff isn't trained to operate them, so... after you give the right to healthcare to everyone your wait time is going to become months instead of days, not counting the emergencies that will take precedence over elective cases and push your appointment back farther. The same will go for every other medical procedure and doctor's visit.

And that's just for the people IN the U.S. already. Say you live in Central America and need a big operation, and your country's heath care sucks. Take a bus to Tijuana, walk to an American border guard and "collapse". What are they going to do? Drag you back to the Mexican side and let you die? Nope. Free health care for you as well. Heck, in rural America it's normal for people to drive a couple of hours to the hospital. Once health care for all becomes a right of anyone physically here, why not just take a day trip up to the States and get treated for free? Even with the best of intentions, there's no way our system can handle that.

Also, giving them free legal representation? Free food and shelter while they wait? A standard of living we don't offer to our own citizens? How do these candidates believe this is remotely obtainable for our government?

I didn't vote for Trump last time, but I guess I'll have to now. If elected these current Dems are going to literally destroy America as we know it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

No Booker just looked at him strangely. People said that it looked like he was trying to keep from laughing at Beto, but I missed that part.

10. Stealth

It was such an awkward moment when Beto went to Spanish that it felt like a skit on SNL.

People were excited last year because he was the first Democratic candidate in Texas in many years that was seen as a threat to win. He ran a close race, but then suddenly he thinks that means he should run for president? And particularly in such a large field? He's really messed things up for himself long term.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Stealth

I didn't like Debate # 2 as much as the first one. This one felt out of control and I actually stopped watching after 90 minutes. It was frustrating. I was considering Harris before last night but she just lost me coming out after Biden in that manner. "You're not racist, but..."

Come on already, the guy was Obama's VP. I know he has the voting bloc Harris is after but that's not how to do it. You shouldn't be coming out of the gate so strong either when this is the first glimpse people are getting of you.

It was an odd night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. tink

tink Well-Known Member

In my opinion she was right on the money as far as Biden goes. He was against busing, and stood with the segregationists on many things. All he had to do was say he'd changes his views over the years and admit he was wrong. Instead he tried to justify the same old views he had from the 70s. He did the same thing when the Hyde amendment came up, and only caved on that because he was losing too many supporters.

And just being Obama's VP in no way qualifies him to be president. He was a wild card then too.

Harris, Warren and Castro I thought were the clear winners. Buttigieg did well, but I don't like all of his policies. No one else even came close to them. Some of the candidates I have no idea who they are, and after the debates I still don't know (or care). Beto damaged himself badly.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Morgotha

My favorite part was when Stallwell (I think) said that when he was 6 years old Senator Biden came and gave a speech in his city saying it was time to pass the torch on to a new generation.:D That would have been in the 1970's. LOL, how do you recover from that?

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the debates, just clips. I didn't know Biden had voted against busing. "Explaining" that he was just against Federal support for busing just infuriated me. Really? You don't think it is the Federal government's duty to step up to protect all citizens? You think states that had never provided decent education for black children should have been allowed to continue to do that harm into infinity because you like state's rights? Oh, yeah? Like slavery was a state's rights issue? F***you. I'm past disliking him and on into seriously hating him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Oh-oh, Bernie was against busing too:

[​IMG]

"According to Sanders, in the long run, busing, as a means toward quality education for all school children, creates racial hostility where it did not previously exist. "The government doesn't give a shit about black people," he said."

• Like Like x 1
  16. Morgotha

Here's something funny. According to her father Kamala Harris is descended from slave owners. So... does she give reparations to herself? Sounds a lot like Al Gore and carbon credits.

"
    Donald Harris, an economics professor at Stanford University, is Jamaican. In an essay published on Jamaica Global Online, he revealed his family's history.

An excerpt of the essay, which was titled, "Reflections of a Jamaican Father," stated:

My roots go back, within my lifetime, to my paternal grandmother Miss Chrishy (née Christiana Brown, descendant of Hamilton Brown who is on record as plantation and slave owner and founder of Brown's Town) and to my maternal grandmother Miss Iris (née Iris Finegan, farmer and educator, from Aenon Town and Inverness, ancestry unknown to me)."

https://www.theblaze.com/news/kamala-harris-family-slave-owners

17. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I didnt watch the debates because as I mentioned before I cant vote in primaries because of how I am registered. For those that watched, I am curious if Biden came off as slower and not as sharp as he used to be years ago, for instance back when he became VP.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I didn’t watch for the same reason. You have to vote only your party in the primaries in Florida. We don’t have a huge selection for non partisans

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 1
  20. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I watched again last night. My impressions were that both Biden and Sanders came up short of the mark. I even think Biden was glad when his time was up so he could stop talking, lol. The busing issue doesn’t bother me because it was a different time but they should own it and say they’ve changed their stance since. Simple. No hedging around. If you’re of a certain age you lived through cultural change and hopefully came out better, more enlightened and emphathetic about what it means to be “other” in America. That process should be ongoing for everyone, IMO.

So then, while Harris was an impressive speaker, she should have laid off Biden. It didn’t help her and ran contrary to her earlier comment about not starting a food fight. I still like Mayor Pete, he’s honest, even about his failures. Gillibrand is a fighter and she’d go big to make sure women’s issues weren’t kicked down the road. I like saying Hickenlooper but otherwise, meh.

Big losers for me were Yang and Williamson but I got a kick out of their answers none the less. What planet did they come from??? Maybe Hickenlooper the scientist, as he made sure to remind us, might have some insight on that.

Why be surprised about the positions taken on migrant issues or health care? It’s nothing new and like it or not we ARE headed for a single payer system. How we get there, is the thing. As far as seeing that migrants get basic medical care and nutrition as they await their asylum hearings is a prudent measure. That’s all we need is an outbreak of some funky virus brought in from some other part of the world. Let’s make sure they’re basically healthy. Doesn’t mean we have to perform brain surgery or expensive medical tests on them.

Ideas are just that. If a Democrat is elected some things will be repealed via executive order but most issues will be resolved or not, the usual way, by going through Congress. I do think repairing relationships with our allies will keep us safer and I like how climate change will finally be addressed. Soooo, let’s see what happens now.

• Like Like x 2