Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

2020 election AKA The Biden Thread

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I didn't know you didn't know that. I was going to explain, but I see purriwinkle already did.

Yes, they have made ads endorsing Biden as an alternative to Trump.

2. Lindigo

In their own words:

[​IMG]
    OUR TEAM
    The founders of the Lincoln project have spent over 200 years electing Republicans. But now, they’ve sparked a nationwide movement with a singular mission: To defeat Donald Trump and Trumpism.

https://lincolnproject.us/team/

(I didn't know about their 200 year history. I never noticed their existence before.)

3. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I think the 200 years is metaphorical or they’re referring to “true” Republicans but I’ve included some info from another group, Republicans Against Trump.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...=2ahUKEwickqiul_HqAhVomK0KHW8wD9cQ0Qx6BAgLEAE

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Ah. I've found out the problem. There are actually TWO organizations calling themselves the "lincoln project". You are referencing "lincolnproject.us" -which was founded to get Trump out of office, and I was referencing "thelincolnproject.com" - which was founded to encourage Republican values and fight racism.

And I agree that "your" Lincoln project that was *started* to get Trump out of office would obviously have that as their primary objective. BTW, it is NOT 200 years old, it was founded on Dec. 17, 2019, and its goal is to stop Trump's 2020 re-election.

5. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

It seems like a lifetime since the last election. But now we have 97 days until we can end the abomination in the White House.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Stealth

For people who have shown themselves to be very good with words, they botched that up a bit. I think what they're referring to though by 200 years is that it's their added experience. The founders of the group have spent that much time collectively electing Republicans in the past.

7. Morgotha

Nope. A group of lawyers know the necessity of being *precise* in what they say. It's much more likely they are *deliberately* trying to mislead people than having their mission statement be misconstrued "accidentally".

Also, I skimmed a New Republic article on their group and their takeaway is that almost all the money they have raised, $1.4 million as of a few months ago, has gone directly in to the pockets of the group's founders. That means they are definitely Republicans, LOL, but it also means they are likely more in it for the sake of making money than actually trying to effect change.

8. Stealth

I don't have any illusions about them. Rick Wilson in particular is a snake. He ran a really dirty campaign against Max Cleland, a former Vietnam veteran. Overall though their ads are very damaging to Trump. That's fine right now, but I recognize they're not friends to anyone but themselves.

#1868 Stealth, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Lindigo

Thanks. That is exactly what it says. "The founders of the Lincoln project have spent over 200 years electing Republicans."

• Like Like x 1
  10. purriwinkle

They do have expenditures in regards to the ads they make and run continuously. They’re very effective in that their content often goes viral and is said to get under Trumps skin.

I believe they want change immediately. What their long range goals are, if any, isn’t apparent, at least to me. From the list of donors we’re talking about some people who are already well heeled financially, but are not adverse, I imagine, to taking a cut for their “work”.

Some additional info from Wiki:

Fundraising and expendituresEdit
    From its creation to the end of March 2020, the Lincoln Project had raised $2.6 million in contributions and spent $1.4 million of that sum.[47] Although the Lincoln Project has raised and spent far less than other PACs, the group has achieved success in having its ads go viral and with its "nontraditional strategy of playing mind games with the president."[23] The group has few major donors.[14] The top contributors are hedge fund manager Stephen Mandel, who gave $1 million; Silicon Valley investors Ron Conway,[47] Michael Moritz and Chris Sacca, Hollywood producer David Geffen, financier Andrew Redleaf, Walmart heiress and philanthropist Christy Walton, Martha Karsh, who is married to billionaire financier Bruce Karsh, and Continental Cablevision CEO Amos Hostetter Jr.[48][47] About 59% of the group's total fundraising comes from small donors ($200 or less).[14] The group's expenditures are mostly in producing, buying, and placing ads.[14]

The Center for Responsive Politics, a campaign-finance watchdog group, wrote that (like most PACs)[49] most of the Lincoln Project's money went to pay subcontractors, "making it difficult to follow the money" to vendors, and that "almost all" of the money raised went to firms run by the group's board members, specifically Galen's Summit Strategic Communications and Steslow's Tusk Digital.[14]

11. Morgotha

Yeah, but that's baloney. The "200 years" thing is trying to make it sound like they've been around since Lincoln's time, not for just 8 months. Heck, using that standard the RNC could probably say they've been electing Republicans for a million years, if you take all their members and add up all the time they've been trying to elect republicans!

12. Morgotha

I've bolded your last line, which is effectively the same thing my article said. They paid themselves and had their ads made by companies they own - effectively paying themselves, again. It's a scam.

13. purriwinkle

I agree they’re not to be trusted but as long as their goal aligns with what Democrats want, at the moment, why not use every tool in the box? Or at least allow them to sow their own mayhem and reap any benefits as a result.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. purriwinkle

Is it a scam if they are producing an effective product? Their material is out there.

15. Morgotha

If you're a Democrat, that makes perfect sense. As the Arabs say, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Get elected first, worry about it later, and take whatever allies come your way to do so, whether they are Republicans, BLM, whoever.

16. purriwinkle

That, my dear, is the history of politics, lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Morgotha

They aren't producing an effective product, though. That was the point of the New Republic article. 86% of people who voted for Trump say they are going to again, 6% of Republicans said they definitely were NOT voting for Trump, and it was only like 4% of the Republicans who might therefore be converted by advertising to not vote for him.

Their real goal is to get noticed by people who hate Trump already and get money from them. Given the numbers, that seems like their most likely motivation.

18. purriwinkle

We’ve already discussed that polls can be misleading. We won’t actually know who will vote for who until election time. There’s room and time for people’s opinions to be swayed by what they see. If that wasn’t possible political campaigns wouldn’t run ads.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lindigo

https://www.thelincolnproject.com/ The site is careful to steer clear of political affiliation. It exists to:
    • Encourage interest in and study of Abraham Lincoln, his era, and his legacy
    • Make Abraham Lincoln more accessible to the general public through living historiography, print, film, and other media
    • Promote the high moral standards and values for which Abraham Lincoln is renowned
    • Promote racial justice & equity
    • Provide historical perspective to help clients, students, and the public navigate today's political, social, and ethical issues
    • Further the academic and professional studies of Lincoln Presentation
    • In the tradition of Abraham Lincoln, provide services and materials that will benefit others and support the mission of The Lincoln Project

20. Lindigo

Disagree. The problem was mine, not theirs. If you want to bring attorneys into it, that's how any court would read it. Stealth's addition of "collectively," though, would have corrected my quick read.

• Like Like x 2