Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

4-10 Interviews Thread

Discussion in 'Episode 410 - Inmates' started by Tony Davis, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-spoilers-cudlitz-abraham-680642
    [h=1]'Walking Dead' Dissection: Michael Cudlitz on Abraham, His Mission and What's Next[/h] 7:00 PM PST 2/16/2014 by Lesley Goldberg

[h=2]The "Southland" alum previews how his character compares to his comic book counterpart, romance with Rosita, Eugene's secret and conflict with Glenn.[/h] [​IMG]

@Cudlitz
    "The Walking Dead's" Michael Cudlitz as Abraham

[Warning: This story contains major spoilers from episode 410, "Inmates," of AMC's The Walking Dead as well as the comic book series it is based on.]
    our editor recommends

They're here!
    Fans of AMC's The Walking Dead -- and the comic series on which it is based -- can finally rejoice as the zombie drama welcomed three of its newest cast members Sunday.
    Abraham (Southland's Michael Cudlitz), Eugene (Retired at 35's Josh McDermitt) and Rosita (Twilight's Christian Serratos) arrived in the final scene of "Inmates," surprising Tara (Alanna Masterson) after she killed a horde of walkers and saved an exhausted Glenn (Steven Yeun) from becoming zombie bait. (For a full recap and analysis of what Abraham's introduction means for the series, click here.)
    The trio -- well-known to diehard Walking Dead comics fans -- entered the series with style as the show re-created the 53rd issue of Robert Kirkman's comics that marked the first appearance of Abraham, a former Army sergeant-turned-sports coach and his love interest Rosita as well as Eugene, the high school science teacher who travels along with them.
    The Hollywood Reporter caught up with Cudlitz to discuss how Abraham's arrival changes the fabric of the series, where the group may be heading next and how the new cast members will compare to their comic book counterparts.
    PHOTOS: 'The Walking Dead's' Most Shocking Deaths
    How did you prepare for the role? Were you a fan of the comics and the series before your casting?
    I didn't know the comics at all. When I heard that the show was being done -- I was sent the pilot [before the show was cast] -- I remember reading it and telling my wife that I read about 27 pages with no dialogue. It was awesome. The pilot was fantastic and I was doing Southland at the time and reading it more for pleasure since we didn't know the fate of our show at the time and I didn't know if I'd be available to audition for it or if there was anything in it that I'd be right for. I was a fan and later when I got cast, I caught up and introduced myself to the comics. [Showrunner] Scott M. Gimple told me that Abraham's backstory would closely resemble Abraham in the comics, so that was a great place to start my research. A lot of things happen in the comic that affect how he operates and how he moves through this world and the decisions he makes. A lot of that is ripped directly from the comics, as well as the whole chunk time where the comic left off and where we meet them now. There are some elements that they've introduced that will make Abraham's back story that much more tragic.
    How similar are Abraham, Rosita and Eugene to their comics counterparts?
    All three of those characters are going to seem extremely familiar to those who know the comics. They're almost exact up to the point where we meet them. Where they go from here, we'll all learn that together.
    What kind of relationship does Abraham have with Eugene and Rosita? That first arrival seemed like they were very loyal to him.
    Eugene is the package -- he's the mission and he has to be protected. I've trained them all to whatever ability they have to be trained to. And Abraham is in a romantic, sexual relationship with Rosita; she's his partner -- Eugene, not so much! (Laughs.)
    STORY: 'Walking Dead': Can the Survivors -- and Their New Friends -- Find Sanctuary?
    We know from the comics that Eugene has lied about knowing what caused the zombie epidemic and is leading them to Washington, D.C. How quickly will we learn where these three are going and why?
    By the next episode, you'll get all the answers to where they're going and why. You know they're headed for Washington but the audience will learn all that in the next episode as to where they're going, why they think they're going there, what information Eugene has and that Abraham and Rosita believe him. There is no subtlety in it. It's this wonderful expositional moment that's literally ripped out of the comics where you meet these people, learn who they are as individuals and what they need from anyone else -- and you better f---ing be on board, because you don't have a choice!
    What do these characters bring to the series? How will their arrival change the fabric of the show?
    Between the three, there's this sibling dynamic. They have been traveling in a small group for a while and were part of a larger group and we'll learn more about that later. Something happened with him in the military; and a lot of shit has happened to the point that they've been diluted and reduced down to these three. There's this bickering, strange hierarchy and weird group dynamic that we have not seen before. There are a lot of things that when you look at them from the outside make them seem like a massively dysfunctional family. There are going to be some moments where you're laughing at these people and the choices they're making and the way they're handling each other. That's not something that you've done a lot of during the previous episodes of The Walking Dead. There aren't a lot of light moments that happen but they bring that in.
    What can you say about this mission they're on? Do they still have hope for this world?
    They have a bigger mission that they're on. They're not locked in this day-to-day rhetorical self-examination of life and what does it all mean. You take one of Abraham's lines from the series and he says, "You know what we're doing here, if it's dead, f---ing kill it." They don't discuss it, talk about their feelings and what they should do or if they should take a vote. Abraham is more like, "By the time you all have your f---ing meeting, I'll have handled it already." They are not a Boy Scout Troop.
    PHOTOS: Inside 'The Walking Dead's' Spooky Season 4 Premiere
    He seems like a much different leader than we've seen on the series so far.
    Yes. He's a sergeant and he's a very typical sergeant; he's not the guy who designs the entire plan -- he's the guy who will execute an element of it and do it immediately without question. He's not necessarily someone who is going to be the king -- or someone you'd even want to be the king -- he's the guy you'd want as your first, the guy leading a section of a larger plan. Ultimately, he's good for [Rick's] group because there are a lot of reluctant leaders and people doing what they have to do. Abraham is a leader by nature; he's not reluctant about it. There's no question in his ability or willingness to do what he has to do. Because of what happened to him prior to his arrival, he has nothing else left. He's balls in everything he does!
    Glenn and Tara are the first ones to interact with Abraham. What will their next exchange look like? Does he trust new people?
    When Abraham first meets them, he sees two extremely capable people who just killed a lot of walkers. Obviously they know what they're doing -- to an extent -- and they're warm bodies. And Abraham needs more people. He doesn't look at them as a threat or not a threat because there's arrogance to him as well. He's never threatened by anyone -- because he could kill anyone. He's ready for them to get on board.
    Glenn is on his own mission to find Maggie, while Abraham's group has their mission to D.C. Will this be something they clash over? Abraham -- considering his romance with Rosita -- knows the value of love in this new world. Could that be something they bond over?
    Sounds like conflict! Sounds like two groups want two different things! Abraham seems to stop for them but I don't know if Glenn needs him. (Laughs.) Everything you mentioned gets explored. In a way, there's a dilemma with Abraham because he does need and want more people but he can't force anyone to be with him because he's not the boss of anybody. It's a weird dynamic but he does understand Glenn's loss. We specifically go into the loss that Glenn is experiencing. That's the chink in the armor. There's an understanding that's reached and it's interesting because as an alpha-cro-magnon dude, there's a lot to Abraham that you'd not expect that the show will be going into. Abraham is someone you want to care about.
    PHOTOS: The 'Dead' and the Red: 'The Walking Dead Cast in Character and on the Red Carpet
    The series right now has a lot of strong and opinionated men right now: Daryl, who isn't in the comics, Tyreese and Rick. How might the four of them get along?
    We're going to have to see about that! You've never seen a world where Abraham and Tyreese have existed together.
    In the comics, Abraham arrives after Tyreese's death. Should fans of the TV series be worried for Tyreese?
    This isn't Star Trek. We don't have to worry that Captain Kirk might die. Guess what? Captain Kirk might just die on you [on this show]. That being said, I think everybody has to worry about dying every week. You should expect things that you don't expect.
    What can you reveal about Terminus? Will the survivors find a new sanctuary this season? Or does Abraham only have D.C. in his sight?
    He's on his mission and the rest is the rest. The mission always comes first. It may be helped or hindered by these other elements, but the mission is always the most important thing to Abraham.
    He's not looking for a prison of his own to start over?
    Nope. He's going to D.C.
    What do you think about Abraham? Hit the comments below with your thoughts on his arrival and what you're looking forward to seeing. The Walking Dead airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on AMC.

2. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Walking-Dead-Michael-Cudlitz-Abraham-Spoilers-1077847.aspx
    [h=1]The Walking Dead's Michael Cudlitz on Abraham Ford: "He Will Kill You"[/h] [​IMG]
    Feb 16, 2014 10:00 PM ET
    by Natalie Abrams

[​IMG]Michael Cudlitz

[Warning: This story contains major spoilers from The Walking Dead and the comics the AMC series is based on. Read at your own risk!]
    The Walking Dead has added some new blood to its ranks.
    The AMC series introduced comic book favorites Abraham Ford (Michael Cudlitz), a former army ranger, his love interest Rosita Espinosa (Christian Serratos) and high school science teacher Eugene Porter (Josh McDermitt) in the final moments of Sunday's episode. It was a special treat for comic book fans as the show closely adapted their first appearance from Robert Kirkman's graphic novel. (Read more about that here.)
    The Walking Dead: The survivors find new places and new faces!
    But that won't be the only similarity the show has in store. To get the scoop on this new group, TVGuide.com turned to Cudlitz, who dishes on the trio's mission and his transition from Southland to the dirty world of The Walking Dead:
    Before you got the role of Abraham, had you read any of The Walking Dead comics?
    Michael Cudlitz:
    I hadn't read the comics, so I knew nothing about Abraham. I started following the show early on. It was one of the projects that I actually read the pilot and I was very interested in the show. That was when Southland was initially going through its transition and we didn't know if we were going to get picked up by TNT for more. After the show started airing, their airdates coincided with our film dates, so I was never really up to date with the show, I was always playing catch-up. As far as Abraham, I didn't know he existed.
    Have you read any of the comics now?
    Cudlitz:
    Yes. I talked to [showrunner] Scott Gimple after I was hired and I said, "Look, I want to read the comics. I want to get caught up and up to date, but I don't want to mislead myself. How much of what Abraham does is going to be based on the comics?" He said, "Go ahead and do that. All of your backstory is going to be almost exactly as it was from the comic book as far as what happened before we met him." It's an awesome jumping-off point.
    Tell us about your version of Abraham.
    Cudlitz:
    When we meet Abraham, one of the things that we realize most about him is that he's very mission-oriented at this point. You're not going to learn a lot about how he emotionally feels about things necessarily. He's very reactive. He keeps his eye on the target. He's not to be f---ed with. He will kill you.
    How does that personality fit into the larger group once they do come together?
    Cudlitz:
    My words or his words? [Laughs] He doesn't give a sh--. That's not really a concern, how he fits into anyone else's group. He has his mission, and his mission is the only focus and the only thing that is important and the only thing that has any meaning right now.
    With that said, what kind of relationship does he have with Eugene and Rosita?
    Cudlitz:
    Their relationships are formed out of necessity. There is safety in numbers. You need people to survive. If you didn't need people to survive, he would not surround himself with people. Everyone [per]forms a function. If you cannot do your job, you are not needed. Eugene has important information. Eugene needs to be protected and be brought to Washington, D.C.
    TV Couples: Should they or shouldn't they?
    How does this trio feel about the apocalypse? Do they still have hope for the future or have they accepted their fate in this world?
    Cudlitz:
    It's a completely different dynamic. They have been traveling alone together for a bit now and they're kind of f---ing sick of each other as people. They annoy the hell out of each other. It's almost as if you were to say they are siblings to a strange degree. But I can't kill any of them, so I guess we gotta move forward. They're all integral to what we're doing. Rosita is entirely effective and efficient. I've trained her and made her that way. She's useful. And Eugene is the package, so we have to protect the package. I don't think any of it comes down to being weary of what's going on right now. The walkers are secondary at this point. There's no big Hershel moment where we're going to wax reflectively. It's like, "Get the f--- out of the way or get a bullet in your head." It's pretty clear.
    So far the group has met Tara (Alanna Masterson) and Glenn (Steven Yeun). What is that dynamic like and where do they go from here?
    Cudlitz:
    They're capable bodies. He's seen them both fight. One is obviously exhausted. Right now, when we first meet him, he doesn't know if they have other supplies. Are they with other people? It's very important to be well-stocked. He's coming from some other events that have happened very recently and those play into how he treats new people and how they move forward.
    What has it been like going from Southland to the dirty world of The Walking Dead?
    Cudlitz:
    In a lot of ways, it's the same, strangely enough. When we were in uniform, we'd start out every day perfectly clean, but we're rolling around in the streets and in these cars. Our city, by nature of being a city, is filthy. But with this, we start out in the morning, and they make you dirty. It's a little bit of city dirt versus country dirt. It's all dirt. You're pretty disgusting by the end of the day. Everyone is not being made pretty every day. There's an ugly and raw element to both shows that play really well visually and serve the stories that are being told.
    What's been your favorite part of playing Abraham?
    Cudlitz:
    The insane, orange hair, slap-back, handlebar mustache, just the whole look of him. He walks into a room and just wants to fight. It's like a permission slip to be the biggest douche you ever wanted to be.
    How do you think the series changes now with these new characters coming in?
    Cudlitz:
    We're coming into a very interesting point of the show. The whole world has been shaken up. Obviously everybody has been floating around in this snow globe and waiting to see where everybody settles. They're just part of the fabric. More importantly, the dynamic is going to be changed because there's a light element because of the way this group gets along with each other. There's not this need to constantly talk about the struggle of what they're going through. They wonderfully get caught up in these moments that they're actually in, so there's a lightness. There's some funny stuff coming up. I hesitate to use the word "funny," but it is. There are some quirky relationships that are going on that the audience will find a lot of humor in watching. They will be able to identify with it. I'm a fan of the show and I've watched all the episodes and I'm not laughing that much when I watch them, so to know these situations that are coming up and know that they're going to add this lightness in places, I think it's going to be exciting for the audience. Or they're just going to hate us, and Abraham is going to get a bullet in his head in a couple hours. I don't think so, though. It's all done really well and it's based in the reality of everyone's situations. It's very true to the show and very true to human nature and the comics.
    The Walking Dead Postmortem: What's next for the scattered survivors?
    There's a hint of nearby sanctuary. Is Abraham so focused on the mission that he'd actually pass up a place that would be safe for them?
    Cudlitz:
    Sanctuary sounds awesome, doesn't it? We'll have to see what happens with that. Abraham will do what Abraham has to do.
    [WARNING: If you haven't read the comics, you might want to skip this question.] In the comics, we know that Eugene has teamed up with Abraham under false pretenses. Is their story line similar?
    Cudlitz:
    Yeah, there are a lot of similar elements. A lot of it is going to feel very familiar. But you have to remember, a lot of these characters that they interacted with in the comics are no longer with us. So some situations just could never happen because those people are no longer here. I will say that it's going to feel very familiar and there's a push from Scott's side to really pay homage to the comic and not get so far off track or so diluted that if you're a fan of one, you wouldn't recognize the other. There's a way to marry the two elements together that does justice to both. What if these two characters lived in the same world at the same time even though they don't in the comics? What would that have been like? Well, now you get to explore certain things like that. There are people that I am inhabiting a world with that were already dead in the comics. That's going to be exciting for people who really know the comics. There's a lot of bada--es in one room. Sh-- is going to hit the fan. Where it ends tees up a whole new world.
    The Walking Dead airs Sundays at 9/8c on AMC.

3. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/16/walking-dead-emily-kinney-beth-greene/
    [h=1]'The Walking Dead': Emily Kinney discusses the latest episode and Beth 2.0[/h]

By Dalton Ross on Feb 16, 2014 at 10:01PM [​IMG] @DaltonRoss
    [​IMG]Image Credit: Frank Ockenfels 3/AMC

[SPOILER ALERT! Read on only if you have already watched Sunday night’s episode of The Walking Dead.]
    [h=3]Related[/h] [​IMG] The Walking Dead: See Full Coverage
    [​IMG] 'The Walking Dead': Robert Kirkman breaks down the midseason premiere
    [​IMG] 'The Walking Dead': Andrew Lincoln gives his take on the midseason premiere

“Hey, I know it’s been a while. I’m gonna be honest, I forgot about you.”
    And with those words from the journal of Beth Greene, episode 410 (titled “Inmates”) began. Hearing Beth’s hopeful journal entries from back when things were going well in the prison juxtaposed against the visuals of Beth and Daryl now running for their lives after the fall of said prison set an ominous tone for this latest installment of The Walking Dead. The episode showed what happened to all the other survivors after the assault, but the first segment focused solely on Beth and Daryl, giving us our most extensive look yet at Hershel’s youngest daughter. We spoke with the woman who plays Beth, Emily Kinney, about both what we just learned and what is still to come (including, perhaps, more singing).
    ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So we saw Beth with this journal earlier in the season, and now we get to hear what she’s been writing in that journal, which gives us a bit more insight into the character.
    EMILY KINNEY: It’s nice because the audience hasn’t gotten to know Beth this whole time. She hasn’t been in every scene, she hasn’t been necessarily the focus of the show. And I think that having that moment — seeing that she has been going through all these same things and having thoughts about them and having feelings about what she’s been going through — the audience gets a chance to hear what it is that she has been thinking with those journal entries. So it was very satisfying for me as an actor to fill in some of those gaps. And I’m sure for the audience it’s nice to get to know Beth a little bit better in that moment.
    GET MORE EW: Subscribe to the magazine for only 33¢ an issue!
    EW: It’s haunting too in a way because she’s like, “Yeah, we just got to the prison and hopefully we’re going to get to stay here forever!”
    KINNEY: [Laughs] Yeah, you get to see that she was very hopeful at some point and trying to make the best of this horrible situation and trying to make the best of the prison life. And she’s starting to have dreams for herself and for her future — which, of course, doesn’t really happen
    EW: It’s interesting because Daryl is the one here who seems totally pessimistic about the chance of there being any other survivors that made it out of the prison alive while Beth is the one really taking charge and spearheading the search. That’s an intriguing little twist there.
    KINNEY: Beth is still holding on to this idea that they could possibly find some of the people from the prison and somehow they have that group again. I think that Beth feels very alone and Daryl isn’t the most open person in the world, so even though she has a partner in this, she still feels extremely alone. The journal too is kind of showing just how much she was holding onto this idea of the prison, and during this episode she is still holding on to this idea that maybe there is a way to get back to having that group, or having some sort of family, having some sort of stability by searching for the kids and searching for other survivors. And it just doesn’t work out.
    EW: We hear one line from the journal where she says, “I believe for daddy.” That makes me wonder, what is the impact of what happened to Hershel and how is that affecting Beth? When she is saying stuff like, “We have to get out there and search, we have to be hopeful,” is that her way of honoring her father and carrying on in an almost What Would Hershel Do, WWHD kind of way?
    KINNEY: I think she definitely still hasn’t come to terms with that life is over yet — in terms of the people and the family she gained by having that stability of the prison. She’s still sort of hopeful. She still hasn’t come to terms with her father’s death yet. That is something that is going to play out throughout the whole rest of the season. This is just the beginning. She is still tying to grasp something.
    EW: Well, it’s a lot of trauma to take in at one time.
    KINNEY: Yeah, I don’t think it’s all happening yet. This episode is to see how much hope she had in this other life. And as soon as people do have food and stability and shelter, they start to journal. You don’t need to much to start to dream and think about what your life could be and that sort of thing.
    EW: Was it nice to have these scenes — and more to come, I assume — with Norman Reedus? You guys had some moments earlier this season after your on-screen boyfriend, Zach, died, but haven’t worked a whole lot together until now.
    KINNEY: It was great. Norman is such a great actor and fun person to work with. He’s so sweet. I feel like now he’s become such a good friend and it’s fun because I think Beth and Daryl are getting to know each other now because they’re kind of stuck together. And, in a way, me and Norman are now stuck together after not necessarily having a tons of scenes together and getting to know each other. So in some ways it definitely paralleled their journey — Beth and Daryl’s journey and Emily and Norman’s journey. So it’s been really fun and satisfying.
    EW: Speaking to most of your castmates over the past few weeks, that word you just used — satisfying — is one they have also used talking about these last eight episodes of the season and the fact that we’re breaking out into these much smaller stories. And I agree that we haven’t gotten to see a lot of Beth. We saw some after Zach died, but we haven’t gotten to spend a good amount of time with her in a smaller setting. And that’s the same case with a lot of characters. But now we’re getting rich stories on all of these people and I imagine that is, as you said, satisfying.
    KINNEY: Yeah, and the audience wants to know sometimes what’s going on with that character, like what are they thinking about this situation? We as actors, we fill in those gaps as much as we can, but we want to know too, you know? And I definitely think for a lot of people on this show in this second half, we get to do a lot of that digging deeper into the characters. And there’s still a lot of action and you never know what’s around the corner. But there’s also a lot of really great character development and that’s really fun for an actor. So I think we’re all feeling really creatively satisfied working on this show and are really excited.
    EW: I know you’re a singer as well, so are we going to get a chance to hear Beth sing again this season?
    KINNEY: I definitely think it’s part of how Beth deals with this world. And like I said, in any circumstance we need more than just food and shelter. Human beings need something else, and music and art is bound to come up at some point. It’s her way of dealing, so yeah.
    EW: And we’ve seen that creativity now through both singing and writing.
    KINNEY: I think that’s definitely a core part of who she is. The audience is getting to slowly see that that’s a part of her makeup. That’s just part of who she is, and the audience will see that more.

4. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.thewalkingdead.com/episode-410-post-mortem-with-robert-kirkman/
    [h=1]Episode 410 Post-Mortem with Robert Kirkman[/h] by Brian Huntington February 16th, 2014 [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hey gang! Robert took some time out of his ridiculously busy schedule to talk to us about Episode 410: Inmates! Check it out:
    TheWalkingDead.com: Let’s start with Judith. LOTS of speculation, screen caps, gifs, etc about her fate after the mid-season finale. I think most fans, from what I saw on Twitter, assumed she was dead. Can you talk a bit about that decision to split from the comic and what it’s going to mean to this group to have a baby on the run?
    Robert Kirkman: Basically, there’s more story to tell, and the thing that we’re always trying to do on The Walking Dead show is try to figure out what generate the most story, and I’ve already done the story where Judith dies. It went a certain way, and it was certainly very sad, and in a way, in the show, you get the best of both worlds with Rick and Carl thinking she’s dead and being affected by that, but also I think the story of Tyreese on his own with Lizzie and Mika is going to lead to some really interesting story. And to a certain extent, we glossed over that in the comics, how dangerous it would be to have an infant around.
    TWD: Basically, living walker bait.
    Kirkman: Exactly.
    TWD: What was the thought process behind grouping certain characters together post-Prison exodus? I’d say it’s not really the pairings we would expect.
    Kirkman: When you have a show that has a cast this large, you start to notice that certain characters gravitate toward other characters, and you end up with characters that know each other very well and are in a lot of scenes together, like Maggie and Glenn, for instance. So when it came time to split them up, we wanted to make sure that these characters are out of their comfort zone. They’re out of the prison, they’re away from people they’re more familiar with, and we wanted to find groups that hadn’t interacted very much because there’s a lot that can come from these new interactions. I think seeing both Bob and Sasha together is going to lead to some very cool stuff, and I think that the Daryl-Beth relationship is going to evolve in some very cool and interesting ways.
    TWD: This week we saw a lot of Hershel’s philosophy alive and well in Glenn, Maggie, and Beth. It’s a nice ode to a well-loved character.
    Kirkman: Hershel’s greatest contribution to this world has been his wisdom, and seeing that passed down and seeing it affect these characters is certainly a big deal. Despite the fact that he’s gone, his presence is very much going to be a part of this world for many episodes, and even years, to come.
    TWD: Let’s talk about Abraham. Comic fans have been looking forward to this for a while. How did you find your man, Michael Cudlitz?
    Kirkman: All of our casting is always a somewhat involved process because we have such a great ensemble, so we have to make we have someone that’s going to fit and acclimate to the group, but also bring what they need to bring for the character. With Cudlitz in particular, we spent a lot of time looking at a lot of different candidates for Abraham and it took us a while to find the right guy. I’ll admit we were somewhat worried! We were wondering, are we going to find the right Abraham? It even came down to the wire to a certain extent because we didn’t know if we were going to be able to find him, and then Cudlitz emerged. He has had this huge career in television, and to be honest, I was a little worried that we weren’t going to be able to get him, but luckily he signed on because I think Abraham is going to be another pillar of the show. To a certain extent, he’ll be filling that vacuum that the loss of the Governor has created. He’ll be that other character that’s driving a lot of the story and generating a lot of cool stuff. As comics fans know, Abraham’s character is so important to the overall life of the series, and I’m very excited to see all of that come to the tv show, and I think Cudlitz is going to do a great job of bringing that character to life. And I can say that with confidence, since I’ve seen the rest of all of the episodes in Season 4!
    TWD: There you go bragging again! Cudlitz is definitely awesome casting.
    Kirkman: He’s also a good dude, which helps. It’s always good to know your actors are good dudes, I like Cudlitz, he’s a good egg.
    TWD: This goes back to our question about groupings, but how does the writers’ room decide that Glenn and Tara should be the first ones to find Abraham as opposed to Maggie’s group or Rick’s group?
    Kirkman: Glenn was the most interesting guy to have surrounded by new people. Since he’s the character that’s very personable but has also grown comfortable within the prison group, we thought that would be an interesting new dynamic to have him with Abraham’s group. And also, a pretty big complication for his search for Maggie because he is very interested in finding Maggie, and now he’s surrounded by people who have never met Maggie and who don’t know what sort of relationship they have and how important she is to him and thus aren’t going to be as invested in find her. It really just leads to adding a lot more complications to Glenn’s story.
    TWD: Absolutely. So, last question, is Josh McDermitt’s (Eugene) mullet real, or more Nicotero magic?
    Kirkman: That’s all real, baby!
    TWD: It looks perfect. Rosita, Eugene, and Abraham are really just perfect physically.
    Kirkman: It’s another one of those things that happens on The Walking Dead. We always only ever look for the best actors available, but seeing Christian Serrantos and Josh McDermitt and Michael Cudlitz embody these characters in a way that’s so visually accurate to the way they’re portrayed in the comic, it’s an amazing fluke that continues to happen. We cast Danai Gurira because she was the best actor for the role, and yet she is almost indistinguishable between her and her comic book counterpart. So I think that comic fans are going to be really excited about these three characters. They’re going to add quite a bit to the show moving forward.

Big thanks to the boss for the the chat! Come back next week to see what Robert has to say about Episode 411!

5. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

That Abe stuff sounds too good to be true.

6. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.thewalkingdead.com/we-talk-with-michael-cudlitz-aka-abraham/
    [h=1]We Talk with Michael Cudlitz AKA Abraham![/h] by Brian Huntington February 16th, 2014 [​IMG]
    Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print More Sharing Services

[​IMG]
    Hey gang! We were lucky enough to get some time with Michael Cudlitz, AKA Sgt Abraham Ford! Read below to hear what he has to say about the comic, the show, and how he’d do in a zombie apocalypse! There’s a teeny tiny spoiler below for non-comic readers, but we have a warning if you want to skip it. And next week we have even MORE with Michael!
    TheWalkingDead.com: So first things first, the question we have to ask all newcomers, how familiar were you with the comic and fan favorite Sgt Abraham Ford before coming on board?
    Michael Cudlitz: I was not familiar with the comic at all, but I was introduced to the comic through the show. I became a fan of the show when I read the pilot, which was just fantastic. Started watching the show, loved how it was so character-driven and how you find out pretty quickly that it’s not about the zombies or the walkers or the undead. It’s about these people who are left alive and how they cope and restructure society, like Lord of the Flies on a global level. For me, that’s where the excitement of the show is. You realize the people that you care about, whether they be good or bad, are the ones with actual heartbeats.
    Having said that, once I got cast, I did not know who I was going to read for, so I did a little research and the people on the “interweb” are out of their minds and have really figured it out already, just by the nature of the casting call that went out for a group of three people, especially with one of them being a doctor, the other being Hispanic, they knew exactly who they were, so they started putting out pictures from the comics and I suddenly realized this was a huge, huge deal, specifically to the people who had knowledge of the comics and who followed the comics.
    After talking with Scott [Gimple] about the character and where he was heading and how much he was going to be based or not based on the comics, given that the show deviates from the comics at times, I wanted to know how closely it was going to resemble what I had read so far. And he said that basically, the whole backstory would be the same and really the jumping off point for what they’re dealing with. And on top of that there was going to be some other crap that had to be dealt with that wasn’t talked about in the comic but had covered the time between what happened to his family and when we meet him. So there’s just sort of shit on top of shit with this guy. And it was exciting, I love the way the graphic novels are their own form of storytelling, and I think they do a really great marriage of them in the show, these elements that happen that are very familiar to you if you know the comics. I think they’re very satisfying from a visual standpoint, for example when there’s a Michonne side-look that’s in half shadow, and you’re like that could be a panel in one of the books. And I think there are some cool iconic images that they shot very well and are even dead on.
    TWD: The end of Episode 410 is basically the cover to issue #53. Did they have the comic on set, holding it up, getting it just right?
    Cudlitz: I’m not sure, but if you search Google images for images of Abraham Ford, that’s the image that comes up first, that image of the three of them. I’m sure that Scott had it emblazoned in his mind. They were behind the monitor and we did it a bunch of times to get exactly what he was looking for. Everyone was excited and I think they captured that recreation very well.
    TWD: Yeah, it’s almost exact. You have Eugene fiddling with his radio, Rosita’s over there with her hand on her hip. It’s pretty awesome.
    We talked a little bit about how the show differs from the comic. How concerned are you for Abraham’s safety? He lasts for quite a while in the comic, but you never know…
    Cudlitz: I’m not worried at all. I’m gonna enjoy this while it’s here. There gonna do what they’re gonna do anyway, so me worrying about it doesn’t do anything to change it.

[SPOILER IF YOU’RE NOT CAUGHT UP ON THE COMIC!]

TWD: I hope Abraham last a long long time. I think we were all disappointed when he died in the comic, but that’s Robert for you.
    Cudlitz: But that’s the other thing Robert gets to do, you know we got a world right now where Tyreese and Abraham are alive together. I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of that, but as a creator of the comic how exciting for him to go, “What would happen if these two motherf**kers lived together?”

[END SPOILER]

TWD: And Robert’s said he likes writing the episodes that are the most different from the comics, since it’s a chance for him, as a creator, to explore other stuff. Now, Norman Reedus has Dixon’s Vixens but you have Abraham’s Army. Should we be on the look out for fist fights between fans at Comic-Con this year?
    Cudlitz: It’s really interesting, I was asked [by fans], early on when I was cast, “are you going to kill Daryl?” Because in the comics, Abraham becomes Rick’s right hand man. And I’m like… why would I kill Daryl? That’s the weakest position you could possibly take. I have no desire to kill Daryl, but Daryl better not do anything that makes me want to kill him! [Laughs] But anyway, yeah, it’s highly possible that there’ll be conflict. I’ve had other [shows'] cast members’ fans turn against me… but there’s no conflict between me and Norman and we’re excited that the fans are so invested in the show. That in itself is exciting. And everybody has their favorites, and that’s what makes it a horse race.
    TWD: One of the things I noticed, at cons, on our Facebook, on our Twitter, is that all of the fans seem to love everybody. For example, Daryl fans seemed genuinely upset about Hershel.
    Cudtliz: The fans are awesome, they really are.
    TWD: So, final question, how do you think you’d fare during a zombie apocalypse, as Michael Cudlitz?
    Cudlitz: Pretty damn good, actually. I think there’s a lot of elements, in a softer way, of me in Abraham. I think he does what has to be done. I would make sure that my family was protected, first and foremost, so in a lot of ways I guess I’m like Rick. But I think that’s everyone’s initial response would be to circle your wagons, protect your family unit and when they’re safe, you widen your circle up to a larger community. And that’s the show in a nutshell.
    But yeah, I’m a pretty capable person, pretty hands-on. Woodworking, metalworking, I would be an asset! In my opinion.
    TWD: I like it, I love the confidence! I would be gone in ten minutes, I guarantee it.
    Cudlitz: Nah, you would find somebody who was big and confident and who would protect you, because you’re wily and smart!

Cudlitz is wrong on that count, I am neither wily nor smart. In a zombie apocalypse I would be on the roof of Skybound HQ, thrown hard-bound comics at the undead, waiting to be eaten alive.
    Big, BIG thanks to Michael for taking some time out of his day to talk to us. Robert was right, he’s a super nice guy! Come back next week for PART 2 of this interview!

7. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

major spoilers, lol

8. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

It seems like everything will be the same besides the Rick dynamic he has with him.

9. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

and we get those 2 groups next week, the tease

10. Shumpert

Shumpert Member

holy crap, so stoked
    many thanks for the posts

11. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

this one is moved [MENTION=4329]legendx66[/MENTION] just needs stickied

12. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

After watching Talking Dead i like Alanna Masterson lol. Seems like a fun person

13. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

After watching Talking Dead i like Alanna Masterson lol. Seems like a fun person

14. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2014/02/qa-alanna-masterson-tara/
    [h=1]Q&A – Alanna Masterson (Tara)[/h] [​IMG]Actress Alanna Masterson, who plays Tara on AMC’s The Walking Dead, talks about finding love in the apocalypse and new cast member initiation rituals.
    Q: You are one of the new members on set this season. What is the initiation like for new members of the cast? Be honest.
    A: Let’s see, my first day on set, I just went into the makeup trailer and was like, “Hey, I want to know exactly how you make zombies.” Because I’d been such a fan of the show and that was the first thing I did. And I watched them make them. They’re awesome here. They throw you right in and hand you a gun, like here you go. Luckily I play a lot of “Call of Duty,” so I fit right in.
    Q: Tara and her sister take in the Governor when we first meet them — have you ever taken in a hitchhiker or stranger in?
    A: Probably every single friend of mine and my brother’s lived at my house at one time. We definitely were an orphanage of sorts. Literally every person that I know has lived at my mom’s house. At Thanksgiving and Christmas time it’s not just family, it’s 80 people.
    Q: How do zombies compare in the flesh compared to watching them on television?
    A: I mean, they’re super scary. I walked into the lunch room the first day, and they’re all eating lunch. You get up close and they’re so scary. They’re trying to put food in their mouths without messing up their makeup. And then you’re doing a scene with them and you’re running, you’re actually scared because there’s like 70 of them coming at you.
    Q: What attracted you to Tara when you signed on to play her?

VIDEO: Inside The Walking Dead Episode 409, “After” A: I didn’t know much about my character. I just knew that I had a family, and that I was a lesbian and that I was just like this badass chick, which is always great. They’re really secretive over here, which is great because it keeps you on your toes. But I liked that she was tough. I have four older brothers, so I grew up in a pretty tough household, and even though Tara’s not Daryl with a crossbow or Michonne with a sword, she’s still sort of a badass in her own right. Once she meets the Governor she’s just not phased by him.
    Q: It’s true, she’s super vigilant at first. Are you that type of person at all?
    A: Yeah, definitely. I have a hard exterior. But I’m also a complete baby. I cry in every movie. I cry in those Budweiser army commercials. Home improvement shows? I’m sobbing.
    Q: Was the on-screen romance an aspect of the part you embraced?
    A: It was awesome — they finally have a lesbian character on the show, I’m so excited! And then I got to meet my girlfriend and she was awesome. It’s the same as if they had given me a love interest that was a boy. I think watching the show, you need a little bit of romance, because you want something to fight for. You, the audience, root for the love of the two people, whether it’s Glenn and Maggie or whoever.
    Q: You acted as a young actress yourself; did you have any advice for the child actors on the show?
    A: I really only got to know the girl who plays my niece, Meyrick Murphy and she is awesome. She is literally like an adult in a 9 year-old’s body. What makes a child actor normal and awesome is their parents. When I was on set, all my brothers were actors and my mom never let me get away with anything. If I was on a show, I didn’t get to run around like a psychotic child.
    Q: What do you do on set to get in the zone?
    A: I listen to a lot of rap music. I love rap music. Eminem. Beastie Boys. If you talk to anyone else on set, I’m just a giant goofball, I’m always running around, always joking. When I leave set, they’re like great, peace and quiet, Alanna’s gone! I’m fun on set. I’m not serious, I don’t get mad, and I want people to be happy around me.

15. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

[h=1]A 'Walking Dead' Postmortem With Producer Gale Anne Hurd: 'We Don't Do Anything Particularly Random'[/h] By Kimberly Potts February 17, 2014 10:04 AM Yahoo TV

Whoa! That was a plot-packed episode of "The Walking Dead." Everyone is accounted for, cliffhangers were solved, and new characters and mysteries were introduced. We're still trying to digest all that happened, so we went right to the source — "TWD" executive producer Gale Anne Hurd — to get scoop on the episode we just saw and the danger that lurks ahead for the survivors (one word: Terminus).
    So much happens in "Inmates." It's the equivalent of two or three episodes of any other show. Why pack so much into this one episode?
    We have our survivors split up. In the first episode of the back eight, we really focused on Carl and Rick and a little bit on Michonne. It was important very quickly to reconnect with most of the other groups and see how they're doing. That was the focus of this episode. It was to give some insight into how they're struggling, what their frame of mind is and how difficult it is now that they've lost the prison.
    In addition to all the big things, there were so many little surprises: That Glenn didn't know Hershel had been killed, and that Tyreese didn't even know Carol wasn't at the prison.
    You can imagine how much tension that's going to bring as the season continues to play out.
    Across the next six episodes, what's the overall focus? The fractured groups trying to get back together?
    It's also [everyone] continuing to battle demons as well. We've seen the tension that had built between Rick and Carl. We're going to continue to see how the loss of the prison, how the loss of Hershel, affects everyone, in addition to their hope of reuniting.
    [​IMG]Glenn (Steven Yeun) and Hershel Greene (Scott Wilson) in The Walking Dead

Speaking of Hershel, it was a great tribute to him that he is the source of hope that is pushing so many people forward, especially Beth and Glenn. Is that Hershel's lasting legacy?
    I think the impact of Hershel has affected everyone and will continue to do so, hopefully even beyond this season. He was a sage, he was wise, he was kind, he was selfless. That kind of loss, whether you are a blood relative like Beth and Maggie or just part of his surrogate family is just … the one thing I think that he would be proud of is the positive impact that he's had on so many of the survivors, and that the loss instilled that even more deeply. But it will also serve to challenge people not to give up hope.
    We saw that with Michonne in "After." She had given up, had chosen to be alone again, but ultimately chose to embrace her new "family" again …
    I love being able to see Michonne smile again. She really scowls for quite a long time. It's wonderful to see that she can bounce back. She can face the demons that we're now sharing [about] her, the loss of her child, the loss of her partner, the guilt she feels for not having been able to do anything. That drove her to become such a successful survivor, but also to build such a thick skin. Now she realizes she actually needs people, and that it's worth taking the risk to connect with them again, knowing that in this environment you can lose someone at any moment.
    That final scene in "After," when she looks in the window and is so happy to see Rick and Carl, then when Rick sees her and smiles and tells Carl it's for him, that may be one of the best moments of the whole series.
    What's funny is there was actually a scene where she came in and reunited with them, inside the house. We debated whether or not to end it there. We realized that was a much better ending than actually showing the reunion. I'm glad you're saying that, because we always second-guess ourselves.
    [​IMG]Michonne (Danai Gurira) in The Walking Dead

It was also such an interesting way to reveal Michonne's backstory. Is that something we might see more of in the final six episodes, backstories for some of the characters we've known and loved for seasons now?
    [Laughing] I wouldn't rule it out. I can neither confirm nor deny.
    Back to "Inmates," and the individual groups, there is definitely humor in the fact that Tyreese, who's kind and sensitive, but who's also this big, strong guy, is the one traveling with a baby and two little girls. Was that intentional?
    Absolutely. Chad Coleman is such a fantastic actor. We loved being able to spend so much time with him and these very talented actresses who play Lizzie and Mika. The interesting thing was, the casting process was gender neutral. We were looking for talented little boys or little girls. It turned out that we ended up finding two very talented little girls, and that's why those two characters are girls.
    Brighton Sharbino, who plays Lizzie, is especially fantastic. And especially after this episode, the audience wants to know more about Lizzie. She's obviously affected by the state of the world, and her dad dying, in a way that her sister wasn't. Is that something we're going to find out more about?
    There's always a reason behind the choices that we make showing some things. But each person responds differently to the zombie apocalypse and to the stressors they've endured and to death. Some people are less affected by it and develop a thick skin, and others aren't. I think we're able to see the contrast between Mika and Lizzie.
    Was the scene where she covers Judith's mouth to prevent her from crying an intentional nod to the "M*A*S*H" series finale?
    I couldn't tell you, because I wasn't in the writer's room when they cooked that up. I didn't watch the "M*A*S*H" finale. [Laughing] I know, I'm one of the 10 people in the United States that hasn't.
    We're introduced to Terminus, or rather the idea of Terminus, which we first heard about on the car radio in "Isolation." The man on the tracks assured Tyreese and Carol this was a safe place to go, to take the kids. But that's how people would have described Woodbury at one point, too. So is this something they should trust, or is there way more to Terminus than the sign promises?
    You certainly don't know. The prison was a real sanctuary. It was what we thought it would be. Of course, at the same time, we saw that when Tyreese and Sasha and their group first arrived there, Rick was spending a bit of time in crazy town and sent them away. I don't think anything is completely simple in this world, because it's difficult to trust everyone, or anyone, as a matter of fact.
    Because we're catching up with so many of the survivors at the same time, which is within a relatively short time frame, and roughly right after they fled the prison, we don't know exactly what order things are happening in. So, there's a scene where Daryl and Beth happen upon walkers chowing down, and there's a black shoe on the ground that looks just like the ones Mika was wearing. Should that worry us, that her shoe, or a shoe that looks like hers, was in a pile alongside dead bodies? Or is it a coincidence?
    As I said, there's always a reason behind our choices. We don't do anything particularly random.
    View photo
    [​IMG]Daryl Dixon (Norman Reedus) and Beth Greene (Emily Kinney) in The Walking Dead

Finally, after so much, after catching up with all our favorites and getting answers to some big cliffhangers, we still have the introduction of Abraham, Eugene, and Rosita at the end of "Inmates." How quickly will we learn more about them?
    I can't tell you. We never give timeframes.
    But there are only six episodes left of this season, so it's probably soon?
    I know! We're down to the final six already, Isn't that sad?
    Overall, will these final six episodes have a darker vibe?
    Yes. They're on the road, they're separated. They're much more vulnerable being on the road without a safe haven. So yes, it's darker and more dangerous. But at the same time, there will be moments of celebration. And moments of loss. It is "The Walking Dead." [Laughs] Anyone who's survived at this point has made that choice. It's easy to die, it's hard to survive. They're made of stronger stuff.
    "The Walking Dead" airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on AMC.

16. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Crushing on her so hard right now.

17. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Michonne Q&A

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2014/02/qa-danai-gurira-michonne/
    [h=1]Q&A – Danai Gurira (Michonne)[/h][​IMG]Danai Gurira, who plays Michonne on AMC’s The Walking Dead, talks about Michonne’s chances with Daryl and her most enjoyable walker kill scene ever.
    Q: What was different for you playing Michonne this year?
    A: Well, one of the things that’s really fun about Michonne is that she can be peeled back like an onion. It was really kind of interesting to allow walls to come down, and that does involve a whole different process. Seeing who that chick is, that was really fun.
    Q: We see a lot of that peeling in the Mid-Season Premiere. Did you have any input into that?
    A: Me and Scott [Gimple] have been conversing about this stuff for a while. He definitely had the lion’s share of it down. And it would concretize exactly what her story was. But it was really great because he had given a lot of understanding and thought to what her background was, and I materialized it.
    Q: The dream sequence in Michonne’s apartment is memorable. Did you enjoy the chance to shoot a scene back in civilization?
    A: Yeah, I got to be clean and pretty! That was great fun for all of us: great fun for Donna, the makeup artist; great fun for Taylor, who does hair. The more I read it and got into it, I’m like this is really deep and powerful. In her psyche, she’s so caught up on pushing down everything. And that’s what she does after she leaves the prison — she decides to go back to the old Michonne and that’s how she copes with pain and loss. But her conscious and her subconscious won’t let her do that anymore.
    Q: There’s a great moment when Michonne blends in a with a crowd of walkers. Have you ever hidden in plain in sight before?
    A: I’ve never really been blended in with a crowd of walkers before! But I live in New York City, and there are many times when you’re one in a million and everyone is doing their own things. So I did feel and have a connection.

VIDEO: The Walking Dead Season 4 ReturnsQ: Someone put together a scowl-compilation for Michonne. What’s the secret to a great scowl?
    A: I have no answer to that question! It was just how she was affected and who she was at that point in her journey, which was someone who was very untrusting, and someone who was a fighter. She was too protective of her world. If that was what came out of her body as I portrayed her, so be it! But it wasn’t something I was so focused on portraying or doing.
    Q: Have you heard about “Dixonne” fans, who want to see Michonne and Daryl get together?
    A: I only heard about that very recently through my sister. I’d mainly heard about the “Richonne,” so “Dixonne” was a new one. It’s cool. Of course we don’t really discuss amongst ourselves what’s happening with our characters, but it is obviously people seeing that there is a great connection that Daryl and Michonne have. So I get that people are seeing that, but whether or not it’s a romantic connection is another story.
    Q: Michonne generates a lot of love from fans. Do you have any favorite tributes?
    A: I get some really cool things at Comic-Con — posters that people have created. There’s this one that’s really cool with her flying through the air killing zombies. I got a little purse that has the Michonne from the comic book on it, and I have like fridge magents that have Michonne on them. Key rings. I guess the freakiest thing was a guy with a tattoo of my face on his leg! But that happens with a lot of us. Someone was showing Andy his tattoo of Rick on his leg, as well.
    Q: Tell us about that epic kill scene in Episode 9. What part of that fight scene bears your mark?
    A: I set up all those kills! So that was really fun. I’ve started to do my own choreography at times, so I had to come up with my own set of moves. For that scene, I created the choreography. I was only supposed to do like eight or ten kills, and then Greg just didn’t call cut so I just kept going. Every take, the first eight or ten kills was just me going without any specific setup that we’d done before. And the zombies just kind of came at me and accepted that I was going to kill them whichever way. So that was probably my most enjoyable zombie kill scene.