Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

503-"Four Walls& a Roof" Complaints and Criticisms

Discussion in 'Episode 503 - Four Walls and a Roof' started by jwcoombs, Oct 26, 2014.

1. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Yep. My prediction was incorrect. *Sigh.*

I posted about this in another thread because I couldn't get in here. In summary: I can understand why Maggie left -- she couldn't be sure that Beth is still alive, she had no starting point to look for her, and at this point in the ZA it would be near-suicide to leave your trusted group of friends to strike out on your own. However, we should have seen her struggling with that decision. At the very least, we should have been able to read her mixed feelings about leaving the area from the look on her face as she got into the bus.

I don't think we should be reading this as a lack of concern and dislike Maggie's character for it, though. Of course she still loves her sister. Why would she stop? I think it was simply an oversight on the writers' part, or maybe they decided not to focus on Maggie for some reason, or maybe some things got cut for time.

Yes, this is exactly it. You've articulated the thing that's been bothering me about this topic, but I couldn't put it into words. Maggie's seeming lack of concern could have been prevented by adding one or two very small details -- which the show is great at doing anyway -- but without those details, it becomes a big issue because we're left to interpret Maggie's actions and motivations without any guidance.

2. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

My only complaint is that it was very, VERY dark. I don't remember any other episodes ever being so dark. I didn't even get to properly relish in the final massacre at the church.

And like others have already mentioned, I get that Maggie has lost faith and probably thinks there's no chance in getting Beth back, but the fact that it hasn't been mentioned at all (aside for a few seconds at the beginning of the season) seems highly unrealistic. Not to mention that you'd think they'd discuss it before splitting up. You know, Maggie taking Glenn aside and saying something like "Glenn we can't go, we have to find Beth". But then again her only concern on the way to Terminus was Glenn, so that shouldn't surprise me.

Other than that I loved the episode, and most of all I like that Gareth and the others got what they deserved (even though I didn't get to see it cause it was too dark).

3. Alec96

Alec96 Well-Known Member

Here's the scene. It's still dark, but I can see everything fine. You can also turn your brightness up if need be.

[video=youtube_share;JObieuFCgpw]http://youtu.be/JObieuFCgpw[/video]

4. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I would've liked the hacking of Gareth to have been more graphically depicted. Other than that I have no other complaints.

5. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

Says it's not available in my country (Italy). :(

Thanks anyway though!

(now that I think about it I can just try on my computer and brighten it up).

#65 Woodstock, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  6. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

Abe's on a mission. Even after the immediate threat of the Hunters was resolved, with the short bus now handy he would still have been antsy to get a move on. Likely would have been the same even without the Hunters.

Is Abe impulsive ? Yes. Is his immediacy important, too ? Yes. Built in conflict.
    His speech to the whole group in the church also expressed his confidence in them all being survivors, and by extension that he has confidence that they will re-unite. He had the sense to give Rick the map.

7. Alec96

Alec96 Well-Known Member

Darn it AMC, sorry about that. Couldn't find another good version of it. Hope brightening up your computer does the trick.

8. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

[MENTION=9004]Alec96[/MENTION] It was a little brighter from my computer. Now I'm kinda wishing I hadn't seen it better though, LOL!

9. Lady Nightshade

Lady Nightshade Well-Known Member

Yeah some things can be really hard to find online....One has to improvise.

10. Alec96

Alec96 Well-Known Member

Lol, it was a gruesome scene. They weren't kidding in saying we were in for a brutal season. It was handled exceptionally well, perfect end for Gareth. Seeing him beg just like Bob had to him at Terminus, then of course meeting the red handled machete.

11. Alec96

Alec96 Well-Known Member

Since I've done nothing but praise in the complaint thread, I'll just say Maggie not mentioning Beth this week bothered me. I've given her a break on this so far. Now though, she's leaving to D.C. Daryl even told her in the premiere that Beth was alive, and she hasn't said anything about that since.

12. Walker Caravan

Would gas be going bad by now?

13. CLEAR

CLEAR Member

The termination of the Termites wasn't torturous enough for me. Would have liked to see it go just one more episode.
    No, "big guy, left ear." No, "hold him down." And, not too happy with Glenn & Maggie. Really like the episode though.

14. whochrisjonesss

whochrisjonesss New Member

I hate the lack of connection and feels that should have been had when Maggie and Glenn left. It just seems like they left without any thought of the group (who Glenn has been with since EP.01!) or any emotion. there just wasn't any dialogue other than "It's not your call Rick" and maybe another mention or two during the whole episode, and then the ending comes and they just leave with no big goodbye like Rick and Glenn haven't been through hell or like Maggie didn't lose her sister. I just thought all of the emotion on Bob could have been lowered a tad to make room for a better goodbye like that. And I LOVE Bob. Don't get me wrong I know they will be back but it was just so anti-climactic.

15. CLEAR

CLEAR Member

Oops, meant to clarify on Glenn & Maggie. In episode 2 Glenn says we need to stick together and I'm not going anywhere without Rick (paraphrasing), then episode 3 he leaves with Abraham's group. Maggie leaves without even making an attempt at finding Beth.

16. Zombies101

Zombies101 Member

Glenn did not want to leave, he and Maggie agreed to leave to keep the peace between Abe and Rick, who were about to fight. Both Abe AND Rick tried to make a choice for them, so Glenn agreed to leave if they waited a few more hours for Daryl and Carol, naturally Maggie agreed as well. What else could they do? Glenn, ever the peace maker, had to stick to the promise. I am sure it hurt both of them to go, but they had to.

I also believe they were shaken up by Rick, Michonne and Sasha killing the Termites in such a brutal way. The looks on Maggie, Glenn and Tara's face said a lot.

I think the moment Maggie put the Bible down and said "It's just four walls and a roof" showed she may be losing her faith, in the world, and even in finding Beth. I am not about to get into the Maggie is a bad sister debate again, but Maggie doesn't know where Beth is and Daryl has not been back to tell her he saw the car again.

17. Cracker

Cracker Member

The slaughter scene seemed like something from a Hallmark's After School Special compared to the satisfying gore of the comic. I was looking forward to Rick saying 'hold him down on the table' and their body parts being thrown in the fire were Bob's leg had been cooked.

18. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Yes. Especially if it had ethanol in it.

19. tehwalkingdead

Who said that the fingers were Rick's exact target?

He could just have easily been aiming for the back of the hand (I'm out of the house now so can't go and check) as I think the full face of the back of Gareth's hand was showing to Rick. Even if he was targeting the fingers specifically, there's a non zero chance that he makes the shot.

And in in a show where the dead are walking, yeah, everything is possible.

*I know nothing about guns etc.

20. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Huh. You're right, there wasn't a lot of emotion there. It could have been the last time they saw each other. We know it won't be, but it could have been. It would have been nice to see some hugs or handshakes… Rosita hugged Glenn and Tara when they went their separate ways in "Us."