Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

505 Self Help - Praises and Compliments

Discussion in 'Episode 505 - Self-Help' started by CheesyBirdMess, Nov 10, 2014.

1. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

To try and put a more positive spin on things - I thought it might be good to have a thread that's the opposite of the 'Complaints and Criticisms' thread... so Praises and Compliments!

What did you enjoy about the episode? What parts made you Laugh Out Loud? What character interactions did you enjoy?

Any other awesome moments you want to share?

2. CheesyBirdMess

I enjoyed the humour in the episode - Glenns deadpan line of "Why the hair?" and their fun 'roadtrip' banter in the bus, and even inside the bookstore, was great to see!

Tara's response to Abrahams "We're not stopping!" by clearly pointing out "We've already stopped" and her facial expression really made me geek out!

I loved Tara and Eugenes talk.

Also loved Glenn and Abrahams moments, too.

3. Bathing Anthony

I've mentioned this someplace else, but I loved the last scene: The moment Eugene convinced Abraham to stay and we only saw Abe's back. I loved how his shoulders expressed so much words or his face could never have

Enjoyed the humour too. Funny how it's not the comedian delivering it but the others when they interact with his wooden Eugene.

4. CheesyBirdMess

Yeah it makes you realize why Abraham has been so desperate to keep "on-mission"... it's the only thing he had to live for!

That and seeing him break down after he punches Eugene, was great acting... Well it was ALL great acting, but those were really tingly emotional moments.

#4 CheesyBirdMess, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  5. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

I loved the Eugene scenes! Although, a flashback like we had with Bob in S4 might have helped those who hadn't read the comics. I've been waiting for this for so long.

Eugene and Tara 2 nice scenes. I thought it was great that it was Tara, since she knew what it was like to hold on to a secret, that got people killed.

Mullet discussions, Abraham's injured "sack", Maggie basically calling 'not it!' about rubbing dirt on it- were good comic relief.

The Abe & Glenn scenes were a nice touch. Glenn made it clear that he had Abe's back & kind of brought him out of the rafters.

6. silentstar24

silentstar24 Member

After Eugene revealed his lie and started going on about how his old (fake) boss did not actually like his mullet, I started laughing at the screen, but it was a kind of "wtf you just dropped a bombshell on everyone and the situation is ****ed anyhow but you are going on about your hair" laugh.

7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Dolphin smooth for the win!!

8. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

I already discussed this in another topic, but I did love the scene at the end, when Rosita has her hand on her gun, and Abraham looks down on his bloody hand and you could see his wedding ring, and how it was just like when Abraham's family looked at him terrified for what he had done and he looked down on his bloody hand. I also like how they made Eugene's mission the one thing that kept him going, and how he broke down when he realizes that was all a lie.

I also enjoyed Tara's and Eugene's interactions. I also enjoy Tara's general sarcasm and facial expressions (especially while hanging out with guys like Abraham and Eugene). I also like how Glenn is no longer programmed to yell "MAGGIE!!!" every three seconds, and his showing humour again.

9. CheesyBirdMess

Yes! LOL That was funny... I liked the interactions of Rosita and Abraham at the start, acting like a couple. Wish we could have seen a bit more of that beforehand.

10. CheesyBirdMess

YES it was a really great call back to that moment.

11. Walkers_TWD

Walkers_TWD Well-Known Member

Tara and Eugene moments-Bus,At the Self Help section. We're some of my favorite scenes
    Maggie talking with Eugene at the end- when she was telling the story for me made me think of Hershel
    And when Eugene fell to the ground I was laughing so hard !
    Glenn & Maggie moment at Library
    Abraham was just awesome the whole episode
    And liked the insight on Rosita character with her talks with Abraham

12. nomaveck

nomaveck Member

The TMI moment between Glenn and Abraham was the one that made me really laugh out loud. And everyone's on point about the humor (funniest ep this season, definitely) and Tara in general.

I said this in the review thread, but Glenn seems to be working his way back to his Season 1 self and that made me happy. He seems to be reestablishing his own identity which can only be good. Now Maggie just needs to do the same.

I appreciated Eugene and Rosita much more in this episode. Apparently, giving Rosita lines makes her more likeable. Who knew? And Eugene was just hilarious.

Plot-wise, finally getting rid of the "saving the world" plot was great. Now there's potential for Abe to develop as a good character.

I rated this episode low and I stand by that but the few things that developed opens the door for these characters (the least interesting of the groups, by far) to have much better storylines. I appreciate this episode for that.

13. CheesyBirdMess

LOL Yes when he told Glenn he had to get some ;ass; first, and Glenn was like "I really didn't need to know that but cool..."

I like Glenns progress so far this season. I do wish he would step up and become a real leader though, not a follower... I assume that might be coming up though... But I like that he was supportive of Abraham and just trying to make sure he was OK... Guy to Guy.. You don't see much of that, and I thought it was a nice guy moment.

I Totally want to see more of Rosita... err I mean more lines from her... More action! I like that we learned she knows something about Fire Truck intakes and also first aid.

14. Toothpick

Toothpick Well-Known Member

Good bit:
    seeing an aspect of abes relationship with Rosita, Abe flashback, Eguenes scenes with lovely Tara, Maggie admitting she fel guilty for leaving the others(ha, no mention of Beth), good amount of zombie action and prospect of a zombie tsunami rolling over the surrounding fields. Good mix of action to drive the plot and lots of character dev ( of characters who are lower down on my list of interest. Glaggie took a break from showing us how much they are in lurve and started thinking strategically

not so good bits:
    Unclear as to why abes wife left with the kids (for non-comic readers), abes breakdown ( and subsequent behaviour).no Rick&co for another week.

conclusion: more Tara and Eugene, pretty please,

#14 Toothpick, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  15. nomaveck

nomaveck Member

I totally did a double-take when Abraham said "I need some ass first". I thought I might have heard him wrong because WTF?! (and also because it's been so long since anyone on this show - that isn't some evil asshole - expressed anything remotely sexual). But Glenn's line confirmed that yes, Abe wanted some ass. I did like how upfront he was about that. Not like there can really be much privacy with groups like that. I do wonder if Abe would have been as indiscreet if Rick (and therefore his kids) were there.

HA! Loved Rosita telling Abraham where the intake actually was. What is Rosita's background? I always assumed she was another soldier. Is that right? Sasha's the former firefighter if I remember. Unless I just imagined that (and I hope I am because the actress isn't at all believable as one - she's way too skinny to be able to carry 75 pounds of equipment in and out of burning buildings).

16. CheesyBirdMess

Yeah I assume Abraham was just giving fair warning for all that there would be some hanky-panky going on and not to disturb if they heard weird noises... lol. I dare say if kids were around, he wouldn't have - but seeing as though everyone there was adults, and who he trusted, he was like well screw it. lol. No real time to be prudish in the ZA I guess.

I think it was Sasha in the comics that had the firefighter background... maybe someone else can confirm? But it would be good to give her some backstory like that - since I believe in the comic-book she really doesn't get explored much at all.

17. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Nearly all the great praises were made and I agree so I'll go with a moment that we all knew was coming but the group didn't was when the firetruck broke down and they were all talking about fixing it, then the tire rolls out of the fire station door (before the walkers come out), the way they all paused and had that "wth?" look as Abe Rosita and Glen watch the tire roll along was a pretty good scene.

Great thread idea cheesybird!

18. MrBigDog1974

MrBigDog1974 Member

One part I enjoyed about the episode was Maggie's smile during the "Why the Hair?" conversation and Abe talking about rubbing some dirt on it. It almost looked like she was grinning out of character and they decided to keep the takes in anyway.

Similar to Norman dropping the water jug a couple of weeks ago and asking Melissa to pick it up...

19. Sammy01

Sammy01 Member

Abe's arms and body from the neck down were great.

20. nomaveck

nomaveck Member

I hope it's also okay to get a bit of critique in this thread, [MENTION=51542]CheesyBirdMess[/MENTION], because I have to disagree with [MENTION=43962]WillyJakkz[/MENTION] about that being a great moment. And I only comment on this because that was one of the few moments I remember disliking out loud while I was watching.

It looked amusing on the surface but what if there had been a live person behind that door who rolled the tire to distract them and planned to shoot them while they were stupidly watching the tire roll by instead of immediately aiming their guns at the door? That was actually my very first thought when that scene happened.

I'm totally fine with deleting this post (can posts be deleted?) or just never posting a disagreement in this thread again if you tell me, btw. I really like the theme and want every episode to have a thread like this.