Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

5x09 Complaints

Discussion in 'Episode 509 - What Happened and What's Going On' started by H5N1, Feb 5, 2015.

1. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Agreed with #4. Rick and Glenn had some okay conversation, but it would have been better for them to have more of a subplot in the episode instead of just standing around chatting. Their conversation didn't exactly have a whole lot of depth to it… there wasn't really any new ground broken, or anything gained from the conversation.

Their scenes only picked up when Michonne started suggesting going to Washington. Glenn could have chimed in on whole "we need to find somewhere to settle" conversation more, too. With his wife just losing her sister, you'd think Glenn would be pretty keen to find somewhere safe.

2. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

True, but then she moved in a different direction than the core prison group. Carol became more bottom line and ruthless as she demonstrated by killing Karen and David. Rick probably saw a bit of Shane in her, which is one reason why he banished her from the group in Season 4.

3. Stealth

I actually enjoyed the dialogue between Rick/Michonne/Glenn. Maybe it's just because we haven't gotten enough of that type of interaction with key people in the group since the Governor attacked the prison.

I think some of what you and others are pointing out though is caused by inadequate pacing. The Terminus/Hunters conclusion was quick, and then the subsequent episodes were a bit disjointed and, at points, even strung out. Now suddenly they are in Virginia after spending 4 1/2 seasons in Georgia, and there's no real bridge to that since the hospital arc ended. It just feels as if something is missing, like the Tyreese episode should've been 5x10.

I think we would've been better served if 5x9 was mainly the travel episode to Noah's community and they reached it at maybe midpoint or 2/3 in. Then they decided to clear it and set up camp there since as Michonne said they're all worn out. In 5x10 we have Tyreese's demise, and they discover all those severed bodies and realize they need to hit the road again.

4. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

Personally I don't think that we needed a travel episode. I don't think it would add anything to the show. The only thing that I think was missing was a goodbye to Georgia. We spent 4.5 seasons with our survivors in Georgia and it would have been nice to see them kind of struggle leaving there. I'm thinking there may be some flashbacks though because I'm sure they also want to show some more of the aftermath of Beth's death.

5. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

My only real issue with the episode was how long it took Noah to get help. I know they pinned him down with walkers to try and answer that, but it still didn't quite add up. Especially since he yelled and was heard easily...so why not as soon as he left the house?

They perhaps should have had Mich/Glenn and Rick attacked by a dormant group that had awakened so that it explained why Ty had enough time to start hallucinating so much/so quick.

6. Stealth

Yes, in my original post I said that they could've reached Noah's community at the 1/2 or 2/3 mark of episode 9. So while I did call it a travel episode, my main point too (that I mentioned in another thread) was that I wanted a goodbye to Georgia as well. So much happened there for these people. Hershel was central to everyone, along with the prison community. Rick and Carl had the loss of Lori. Every one of them faced real tragedy. If they wanted to work some of the deceased characters into an episode I think new flashback scenes would've been better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bullseye

Bullseye Member

For the opening episode after a break I would have preferred a bit more action and to see more of the group. I hope they are not going to focus on certain people each episode like the first half. I can see why they did it but I didn't like having to wait a few more weeks to get some update and answers on some of the group. I feel we wait long enough In between seasons to also have to wait for weeks to see your fav character when it's back on.

8. R.T.

R.T. Member

My thoughts exactly. Used to be I couldn't find enough space in my TV room for everyone when TWD was on. Now I almost have to bribe people with pizza and beer to get them to come over.
    I hope they get their writing act together soon.

9. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

I really have not much to complain about this episode, except one thing: Why does Tyreese see dead people, he knew, but not Karen? I guess, the actress was not available, but I really missed her there. I know, he was close to Micah and Lizzie, he probably thought a lot about that Terminus guy, he didn't kill. And of course he knew Beth and Bob as part of his new found family. The Governor was probably some part of his subconscious mind, thinking, that he maybe didn't contribute enough to the group - the little nagging voice, always critizising. But I think, there should have been something about Karen - he was so broken, when she died, that he wanted to kill himself. They could at least made a flashback with her in it (instead of Rick beating Tyrese for example).
    Apart from that, I loved the episode.

10. R.T.

R.T. Member

Good points, Ty's serious humanity was never going to let him survive the za, his inability to adjust cost him his life. Seems to me Rick had similar traits in the beginning, look at him now. Given more time I wonder if Ty would have stepped up to the za challenge?
    He had the size and strength, if he got nasty he would be formidable.
    Noah's home base? I'm in construction and we work in communities very much like that all the time, so the set was pretty cool. Not hard to imagine 5.09 at work the next morning.

#250 R.T., Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  11. R.T.

R.T. Member

I was hoping to see an episode dedicated to the group closing on Georgia, taking time to grieve, try and rap their heads around what has happened.
    10 or 11 maybe?

12. R.T.

R.T. Member

The visions represented the worst moments of his za life. Like he was being punished.

13. R.T.

R.T. Member

AMC needs to keep her corpse pliable for their TWD companion series based in L.A.

14. R.T.

R.T. Member

Reminds me of the scene in Dawn of the Dead 2. Survivors spotting for gun shop Andy, taking out celebrity Biters. Burt Renalds was spot on. No Opera though.

15. R.T.

R.T. Member

If you're right, Negan or not, he would make an excellent villain.

Holy crap I've posted way too much, didn't realize, just got caught up in the forum. I apologize for rambling.

#255 R.T., Feb 13, 2015
  16. R.T.

R.T. Member

Exactly, I came closer than I ever have to switching channels before a commercial when the Hospital scenes were up. They actually wasted all that screen time uselessly leading up to Beth's death?
    Shallow Non lethal stab..Low caliber gun shot, crumple?
    That's it, That's all for Beth, a character loved by some, not so much by others, but an mc (main character) regardless.
    If the writers are going to use the death of main characters as the feature moment of an EP (s) at least make them as good as the TD's kill of the week.
    I'll rant about Ty's inability to fight off Noah's 90lb (less when dead for awhile) brother, when he's picked up and planted a full size Biter on a pole, knocked Rick on his ass and fought his way through a forest full of Biters later, for now I need to ask, was it Ty or the writers that gave up?

#256 R.T., Feb 13, 2015
  17. CoyoteTWD

Good god no. I plan on watching that. I hope that the actress is always cast in things that I have no desire to watch.

18. R.T.

R.T. Member

No worries, she would have to be a corpse in this one, so good news, NO SINGING, just Decomposing Beth, fitting in well with the rest of the CA undead, wandering the beaches, looking for her guitar and a recording deal.

19. CoyoteTWD

Her acting is so bad she can't even play dead.

[​IMG]

20. R.T.

R.T. Member

Agreed, wonder how they got her eyes to do that?