Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[601] "First Time Again" - Live Reactions Thread

Discussion in 'Episode 601 - First Time Again' started by TGO, Oct 5, 2015.

1. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I think thats a good idea except that as Funeral Director you can not just rename the dead as you see fit?

Who is Jessica?

2. DeadRun

DeadRun Member

Was it just me or was Rick super sexy this episode?

3. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Japp! Morgan is the new Dale or Hershel.

Well he is the man us males should aspire to be? x)

4. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

So, did anyone besides me happen to catch the rather obscure, less known comic character who introduced last night?

Nope, not Heath, or Scott, or Holly(who has been mentioned about 3 times since Season 5 but has yet to be seen)...

It's Annie! ASZ's very own horse trainer; who oddly enough wasn't introduced until issue #127 of the comic, and more recently spotted again in issue #146.

On a side note; Annie wasn't the only detail from issue #127 that was moved up the timeline and added to this episode.
    But when we first see it, it appears they are very well versed in the method. It's apparent they've been training and working at this for quite sometime during the timeskip. So, it's safe to assume they had been at it for a while; but not this early in the game.

Without further ado; introducing Annie for the first time....again--

[​IMG]

Edit--Also, now that I think about it; the horn blasting at the end of the episode seems to be another issue #127 exclusive detail--

[​IMG]

#244 jwcoombs, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  5. Cavedeth

Cavedeth Member

Welcome back jwcoombs!!

I was hoping you'd be here this year. I haven't read the comics and LOVE when you link scenes like this.

THANK YOU!

6. jwcoombs

Another #127 event which seemed to be transplanted into this episode is the tractor-trailer getting knocked off the quarry cliff by the surge of walkers.

This is very similar to the event in issue #127 when newcomer Magna and her group have their horse-drawn trailer completely bowled over by the massive herd that the group is driving.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. jwcoombs

Jessica was Pete's mistress, the "other woman". She only recently revealed herself in the wake of her lover's untimely demise. :p

8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Oh how I have missed you!

9. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I caught these little tidbits too.
    Except for Annie. I don't remember her from the comic

10. jwcoombs

She was the petite younger girl who offered Rick a ride to the Great Hall on her horse and he respectfully declined, back in issue #127.

11. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

I bet he auditioned for Aaron as well.

I am kind of sad that he agreed to a one and done deal. He really was a pretty good actor and I think he should have been in the cast longer. The soldier for Fear the Walking Dead, I think, was in some of the same movies as this guy too...I had hoped he would have had a more lasting role in that show too!

12. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

According to this interview, he had auditioned for the role of Shane:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/39-the-walking-dead-39-postmortem-ethan-1276172741001270.html

13. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

14. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I wonder if we're ever going to see Holly. Maybe she'll be one of those characters who are talked about but never seen on-screen, like Lars Lindstrom or Vera Peterson.

15. Carl's Pudding

Okay now that I've had a few hours to chill out.... thank you AMC for encore showings. With 25 minutes to go in last night's episode U-Verse decided to give me the finger and quit on me. By the time service was restored the Talking Dead was halfway over as well. From all the screaming and yelling coming from my house, I'm pretty sure the neighbors thought I was being attacked by walkers. Could the outage have come when my wife was watching NCIS? No, it had to come during the season premier of TWD. Oh, the humanity!

16. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I think it would have been a great way to teach the AZ residents, how to kill a walker. By the time that quarry was empty, they all would be aces, in head shots.

17. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Of of course how could I forget......Jessica?!?!

Where the hell have you been too?

Welcome Again!

18. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

LOL Sorry. Jessie is such a pretty name, too.

D'oh.....

19. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

20. jwcoombs

Agreed. He could have been an interesting addition to the dynamic for at least a few episodes. But it makes sense why they did it that way. In the comic; it's actually Nicholas who begins a behind-closed-doors whisper campaign to knock Rick off and takeover the community. One day, from around a corner; it's Glenn who overhears Nicholas' talk of mutiny(now keep in mind; comic Glenn was nowhere near as gritty, tough, and hardened as his TV counterpart). Glenn accidentally makes his presence known and Nicholas freaks out, becoming extremely scared and frightened by the realization that one of Rick's people overheard his plans. He begins to approach Glenn talking about how they can't allow him to get away and tell Rick, but the others are sort of uncomfortable now being faced with the ugly reality of their plan. BEing on the fence, they attempt to talk Nicholas down. Glenn pleads, saying they don't have to do this, that he didn't hear anything and won't say anything; but Nicholas isn't buying it. Nicholas continues to approach Glenn and gets in his face. It is then Glenn who pulls a pistol and points it at Nicholas' head. This infuriates Nicholas and he lunges at Glenn; punching him hard in the face, knocking him down and effectively disarming him. Nicholas quickly recovers the dropped pistol and points it at Glenn, who; now on his back; begins to scramble backward pleading. The others now get louder with their pleas for Nicholas to stop. In the midst of all the yelling Glenn seizes his opportunity and kicks Nicholas hard in the gut giving him the chance to get up and run away. Glenn runs straight home to Maggie and tell her to get him her gun immediately. He goes outside and they both draw down on each other; Mexican standoff style. This is when Rick shows up; says the epic lines and puts Nicholas back in his place. This winds up humbling Nicholas greatly and he goes on to become a genuinely great guy, good father and husband, and trusted friend and advisor to Rick.

In the show adaptation of this event is was chopped up and divvied between a few characters and episodes. For example; the scrambling, erratic scuffle/gunfight that occurs in the comic after Glenn overhears Nicholas' diabolical plan was actually portrayed during the end of the season 5 finale. Where Glenn and Nicholas chased each other around the woods erratically fighting and shooting one another; but ultimately making amends in the end.

Then, they didn't portray the takeover attempt until the S6 premier. And, not only was it much more brief and lackluster thant it's comic counterpart but it has come much earlier than the event did in the source material(issue #89; after No Way Out). That being said; the event was essentially the same with the exceptions of Carter replacing Nicholas as the ringleader, and Eugene replacing Glenn as the eavesdropper.Everything else pretty much plays out the same; albeit with less dialogue and intensity.

Now, getting to the real point. It seems to me; that Carter's character was solely created to be a minor antagonist to Rick. A sort of anti-Rick; Carter being the example of what Rick would have been like had he been behind walls all this time. The writers needed a character to oppose Rick who was well liked and respected enough by the Alexandrians that he would be able to effectively create dissension.. In the comic this was Nicholas; but since they had taken Nicholas in a slightly different direction and had already began his redemption process, it would have been redundant. so, they created Carter to fill the gap. They made him an original ASZ resident, there from the beginning, designed and helped build the walls, charismatic and loved by the community. But, since they were already doing the redemption arc with Nicholas(since it is his character's arc); they couldn't have Carter learn from his mistakes and do the same thing. Once again, redundancy. So, he had to die. They created him to fill the role of minor anatagonist/opposition to Rick/mutineer/enemy within. But, once he fullfilled that purpose; he could only do one thing: die.