Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[608] Praise and Positivity from Start to Finish

Discussion in 'Episode 608 - Start To Finish' started by Lindigo, Nov 29, 2015.

1. WalkingBuckeye

WalkingBuckeye Well-Known Member

While there were plot points that I found inexplicable (e.g., 2 excellent shooters just giving up their guns when they could have at least winged him without endangering Denise), I thought the tone was very well-crafted. The entire episode had the feel of a jack-in-the-box, where everything just kept getting wound tighter and tighter and you know that it's gonna spring into chaos at any moment. The music was subdued (love Bear McCreary); conversations were terse and relatively free of the crypto-speak that's plagued much of this season.

There are some people for whom the apocalypse was the best thing that could have happened to them, b/c they didn't have much to lose in terms of relationships and achievements. Daryl is an example of someone in that category who used it as a catalyst to use his animal nature in the service of belonging to a group that valued him for who he is. The wolf plays this new world in a minor key: I look at him and see...nothing. No fear, no doubt, no rage--nothing that actually moves him. His whole demeanor screams "sociopath" to me, and sociopaths don't change. The apocalypse didn't create him; it freed him.

2. Hope the Savior

These are the stuff and thangs I liked about this episode:

Deanna – I’ve always loved the character, and I think this episode was a beautiful swan song for her. Her final story was filled with so much poignancy, humor, and depth. I especially loved her talks with Rick and Michonne and the fact that she wrote letters for Maggie and Spencer. I loved it when she uttered, “well, sh!t!” when she, Rick, and Michonne discovered she was bitten, and I also appreciated the funny moment when she collapsed onto the side of Judith’s pen/bed and yelled at Rick to confirm she was still alive. I also really, really loved that, as she was succumbing to the bite, she continued to provide motherly wisdom and advice and demonstrate her strong, matriarchal leadership and nurturing, maternal instincts. It broke my heart to see her go, but man, did she go out in a blaze of glory!

Carl’s maturity – this episode beautifully balanced Carl’s development into a badass warrior with the fact that he’s still a kid who needs his father’s guidance from time to time. I jumped for joy when Carl told Ron the truth about both their parents and took his gun. And then I promptly whimpered, “Nooooo, Carl!” and buried my face in my hands when he decided not to confess the truth to Rick after he secured Ron’s gun.

Sam – Major Dodson’s acting is pretty top notch for this show. He’s done a very good job this season of portraying a traumatized child suffering from the effects of domestic abuse and PTSD. I’ve enjoyed witnessing Sam’s mental regression and breakdown. I knew Carol’s threat and advice would linger with and negatively impact Sam, and I think this episode did a wonderful job demonstrating just how badly that image and those words have crippled his ability to cope. My heart ached when Sam instinctively and blindly called for his mom, as they began to walk through the herd. He’s clearly not ready to face this many walkers, let alone any, and he just wants his mom to reassure him that everything will be okay.

Tara’s opinion and pep talk – I loved her line about them having to earn the right to live in relative safety and sanctuary. And I love what she said to Rosita: “He’s not dead…so, what are we gonna do, gorgeous?”

Denise – I enjoyed her development this episode. She is terrified of this world and all its perils, but she’s (wo)manning up and honing her skills…by tending to the wound of a Wolf. Not exactly the safest decision, but I admired her spunk during the endeavor. And I especially liked her line “You are so full of sh!t!”

3. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Now that's scary. Makes my eyes water. Thank you.

4. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

UGH, I know, poor Sam! I was so worried the whole time that he was going to snap and do something terrible, like kill Judith or Michonne or just do something crazy. Then when they were walking and it was so tense and scary, then he's just subtly saying, "Mom....Mom?" AHHG! Usually I can tell when the end of the episode is coming, but when the credits started on this one I was totally caught of guard. Like you said, the terror of the situation is just so understated, especially because the whole episode was so full of suspense, that made it much more chilling when you think of what those 2 small words are going to mean.

5. Rust

Rust Member

This episode was about as devoid of suspense as any TWD episode has ever been.

6. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

No offence, but the Praise and Positivity thread was created for a reason. I understand that a lot of people didn't like this episode, but you have the rest of the forum to express that in. This thread is meant to be a little oasis of happiness for those who liked the episode to hide in, especially during times when the forum's reaction to an episode is largely negative.

7. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I generally don't like children actors, as they generally aren't that great of actors. Dodson, however, did an EXCELLENT job portraying Sam. For me he was the most believable character in the episode, even if not the most likeable. I hope he doesn't buy the farm in the next episode.

I also liked Father Gabriel's usual sweaty self.

[/QUOTE]Tara’s opinion and pep talk – I loved her line about them having to earn the right to live in relative safety and sanctuary. And I love what she said to Rosita: “He’s not dead…so, what are we gonna do, gorgeous?”

[/QUOTE]

I really did NOT like how they started sexualizing Tara's speech. She's not usually like that, and the only other character who talked like that on the show was Merle, and that's not great company to be in. IMO, I hope it was a one-time lapse on the part of the show.

8. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I really liked the interactions between Deanna and Michonne. If she doesn't get busy with Rick it will be with someone else, maybe Heath.

I hope I don't have to break out another screed on the Efficient Market Hypothesis.

9. WhatThe...

WhatThe... Member

I have to agree about Sam's actor. He was very good. I noticed it when he was talking to his mom thru the banister a few weeks ago, just how unhinged he was becoming, the kid did a very good job. In fact this was the first episode, in a very long time, that I actually believed any of the child actors. Carl was brilliant.

A plot point I noticed was that Ron doesnt seem to have his gun anymore? He's supposed to be the one who

What makes this so much more tragic is the fact that Rick is going to have to do what he has to do when Jesse wont let go of Carl. I was thinking about that earlier today. How is that going to impact the others when they witness that?

Also, when Father Gabriel said he wouldnt let Rick down when they got out there, did anyone else see it in Rick's eyes that that he was thinking 'Good... you can be our 'Otis' if we need one!' Then when FG sees what Rick has to do to Jesse... that's gonna be hard.

10. JohnConnor

JohnConnor Member

I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said. However, I've had a lot of negative things to say about 608 in other posts and there were some things I actually really liked. Here they are:

I liked the "Gorgeous" quote from Tara. In my opinion it was not just a (flirty) compliment but also reminiscent of the machismo attitude of Abraham. Rosita had just finished worrying about Abraham's whereabouts and that all was lost and Tara's comment was nicely timed IMO.

Father Gabriel: "No matter what happens, I won't look back"
    [​IMG]
    Nailed it.

I had never heard "Tip Toe Through The Tulips" before and the introduction to 608 has to be one of my favorite TWD intros ever. Call it heavy-handed all you want, I loved it. The open made me think of life before the apocalypse, almost Fear TWD style. I think the ASZ falling is probably the closest TWD will get to replicating the early days of society falling and that cheerful-yet-dreadfully sinister soundtrack really won me over. Sam's disturbing drawing and the ants swarming the cookie at the end was perfect. So much innocence lost.

In fact I agree with Morgotha, Hedwig, Hope the Savior, and WalkingBuckeye's description of Sam's scenes this episode. Truly stellar scenes and it really gave you the full perspective of how terrifying and confusing the world has become for a child. The chaotic nature of the house, the walkers breaking in, can't speak to Jessie and Sam prior to 608 but she really didn't have any time to comfort him amidst the situation and his "mom.....Mom.......Mom" comments were completely understandable (not "stupid") as some have called it. He's really not okay, mentally and he hasn't received the debrief/support/wisdom he needs right now. Too bad Ron is too homicidal to help his little brother out.

On that note: The Ron/Carl fight was ok. The dialogue of the scene was reminiscent of the comics and I'm soooooooooo glad this season is moving closer to the source material. I think the Comic Rick and Comic Carl are more badass then their live action counterparts, but Chandler Riggs and Andy Linc are 10x more entertaining than black and white, 2d non-moving images...so a union of sorts is always appreciated by me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ron: "Enid's dead we're all dead"
    Carl: Look, my dad's gonna figure something out. He always does.
    Ron: That's bullshit. Your dad's just gonna get more people killed.....'cause that's what he does. That's who he is. Your dad's a killer.
    Carl: So was yours..........We need to work this out.
    Ron: I'm dead Carl. My mom's dead. My brother's dead. Your dad. You're dead too. We're all dead.

The fight after this was decent, but it provided much needed insight into where Ron is mentally. We all know the eye for an eye reason he wants to kill Carl, but this was important to me because it significantly ups the stakes. Ron feels like he has nothing to lose. He, similar to the Wolf captive, is beyond reproach because he doesn't even care if he lives or dies. He much more disturbed than I previously realized.

Rick: Hey, what happened in there?
    Carl: We were looking for tools and knocked over a shelf.
    Rick: Carl...
    Jessie: We heard Ron
    Carl: Yeah Ron saw 'em break through the gates. We had to move. That's what happened
    Ron: There's a nightstand in my mom's room we can use to brace the couch...
    Jessie: Hey, it sounded like you were fighting.
    Ron: Yeah, we were fighting them!
    Rick: Carl, it's okay?
    Carl: Yeah...it's okay
    [​IMG]
    That look!! (gif credit: Jeebs, VickGrimes)

Ron: Listen I uh...
    *Carl pulls gun on Ron*
    Carl: Give me the gun, grip first.
    Ron: Carl, I'm sorry...
    Carl: Yeah I know, now Give me the gun. Look man...I get it....my dad killed your dad. But you need to know something...Your dad was an asshole.

Finally, badass, comic-esq Carl can be free!!! I'm tired of Carl descending into just "Rick's son" since arriving at Alexandria. They spent alot of time in Season 3-4 building Carl's manhood I'm glad to see him back in a strong position. #FreeCarl2016

Jessie was great this episode. Her perfect walker headshots, helping barricade the doors, talking with Rick himself about the plan. She's definitely pulling her weight in the ASZ and she's adapted so well to this new world. Unfortunately her sons have been figuratively left behind; they're becoming unhinged and unfortunately there's no time left to address it. The final seconds of the episode with everyone leaving the porch holding hands made me happier than a pig in sh*t. I'm so hype for 609.

Deanna was awesome. She and Sam gave me the feels. I loved the fact that she accomplished her life dreams and could die happy. That's what everyone wants. TWD or not. It warmed my cold dark heart. She went out like a real OG too and was that's awesome to watch, if not excruciating to experience. Her pep talk with Michonne ("The Samurai") was like a meeting of the minds and I'm glad she actually had some real questions for her. This moment will stick with her and I'm again excited to see what answers Michonne finds. Writing letters for Spencer and Maggie was a nice touch.

The Alpha Wolf talk with Denise was excellent. Loved that. He's such a terrible, lost person but also very handsome and charismatic. He's a great villain. Too bad Carol was prevented from killing him. Until someone decides to do what needs to be done, let him live long and prosper.

Almost forgot, Maggies scramble from the walkers was really fun. I actually thought there was a chance she could die.

#30 JohnConnor, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Online-Don

Online-Don Well-Known Member

What the fuck is wrong with you?

12. Morgotha

Dunno. I guess I don't spend enough time with racist drug addicts.

13. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

14. Online-Don

What a poor sheltered life you live.

15. Morgotha

I know. No STDs, no hepatitis, not even the beauty makeover seen below, it really is terrible.
    [​IMG]

16. Online-Don

Cheekbones on #6 tho, you missing out

17. Morgotha

If you like those, wait 100 years and they'll be *really* prominent.

18. Online-Don

But I'll be *dead*

19. Hope the Savior

I interpreted Tara's "gorgeous" line similarly to [MENTION=92672]JohnConnor[/MENTION]. It felt so Abraham in nature, and it evoked the fun, self-deprecating, and slightly flirty Tara we saw in "Live Bait" (04x07). I thought that line both subtly reminded us why Tara and Abraham bonded so quickly and beautifully demonstrated just how strong their friendship is.

20. Morgotha

So will she. Where's the problem?