Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

616 Complaints and Criticism Last Day on Earth

Discussion in 'Episode 616 - Last Day on Earth' started by HondaS2kXD, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Am I supposed to take you seriously or is this sarcasm writ LARGE? Yes Hitchcock did his thing a long time ago, and Frenzy was certainly more graphic than say, Rear Window, but the man knew something about creating suspense. People have been using his techniques ever since.

As for Gimple, yes he should be shot now and again, but I understand why they told this story in 616 the way they did. Showing the brutality of one of our beloved characters getting their brains bashed in would have been too much. This way we know someone has definitely been sacrificed even if we don't know who. If they had showed us the brutal leftovers of, say, Glenn or Abe or Daryl, how would that have improved the story?

2. Biffster

Yes. The point of view shot really brought the terror home.

3. WalkingBuckeye

WalkingBuckeye Well-Known Member

Excellent point. As much as I hated the CH, the final minutes leading up to the camera's brutal death was absolutely gut-wrenching. For all of these warriors to be brought literally to their knees was incredible to watch. You know, Rick was forced to his knees at Terminus, and yet I never saw terror in his eyes. He was always thinking of how to escape, and had the stones to tell Gareth about the red-handled machete that he was going to kill him with. Of course, that escape depended on QBC saving the day; I don't know if Rick actually had a plan or not. But he never felt paralyzed with fear to me. But this time--completely defeated.

Oh, and greetings from a fellow Ohioan!

4. CarlsEye

CarlsEye Member

The whole point of what was done this episode was Negan needed Rick and the Survivors to feel like they had no chance in a fight. Everyone thinks Rick and the group are defeated but the truth is Rick is just waiting for the perfect time to strike. As you will see there is a difference between careless and calculated. In the coming season this will be proven time and again. The saying is revenge is a dish best served cold...

5. shhh its me

shhh its me Member

But if Hitchcock did it that would have been the end of the show. We know the show is coming back in 7 months and we will find out then (if not beforehand) A cliffhanging episode only to be continued in the next show is totally different then an ambiguous ending. I love this show , but this wasn't The Birds , people won't still be debating who died in 40 years.

6. Komodia

Komodia Member

It didn't even look like a POV shot. It literally looked like they killed a camera man. It appeared someone who had a camera got hit, the camera dropped to the ground and blood splattered on the camera from the person who was holding it. That scene killed the episode.

7. Biffster

Fair criticism. But from the point of view of the person looking at Negan, it was certainly terrifying I'd say. The blood dripping down the camera lens was a little cheesy. I think we got the point more from the sound alone.

#187 Biffster, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  8. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

I thought the blood on the camera when Daryl got shot was cheesy and I thought it was cheesy with Lucille's scene as well, but I 100% agree that the sound effects were chilling. Especially after the screen went black and he just kept hitting and hitting.

I literally cannot listen to the audio on that scene anymore. Someone put a thread up where they slowed it down and played all six channels of sound separately back-to-back or whatnot, trying to see if they could hear and recognize the voice of the victim, but all I could hear was the squicky, crunching hits and actually got nauseous all over again.

Whoever the sound effects mixer was for this episode knocked it out of the ballpark. No pun intended.

Also, totally random, but my spellcheck keeps wanting to change "squicky" to Bisquick. Not sure if that serves as evidence that the victim is either Glenn or Abe. :zombies_lol:

9. Andy

Andy Member

It was but did Dwight actually shoot him, though? The amount of blood that exploded on the camera would suggest immediate death but Darryl is very much alive when he's brought out in the next episode for Negan's introduction. So who's blood was that?

But it was not like that cliffhanger was ever convincing anyway. As soon as this episode finished, I texted my friend, "Hey look! The WD writers are trying to pull a Glenn on us again, only now with Darryl." And she responded, "I'm sure Darryl found a dumpster to hide from the bullet."

It's not so fun when you feel like you're being punked as a viewer. It would be like waiting 6 months for this reveal and then finding out that Negan is actually beating a possum to death.

10. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

Dwight did actually shoot him. It was implied that it was in the right shoulder. There was an interview with Norman after that episode and he confirmed Dwight shot Daryl. We also see Daryl in the cliffhanger with a towel or something wrapped around him, seeming to favor that shoulder, and looking rather paler than usual - one would assume from blood loss, pain, and probably beginning stages of bodily shock.

I agree that the amount of blood they splashed up was ridiculous.

11. GonzagaGirl

GonzagaGirl New Member

I feel like the death at the end had no impact whatsoever on me BECAUSE they didnt' show who it is. as far as my brain knows, it was no one. if I knew that was Glenn or Maggie or Daryl or Abraham or Michonne..... I would have FELT SOMETHING. but it just lost me. This whole season has really disappointed me overall. there have been moments but .... I still can't get over the whole episode of Nicholas's dumpster top suicide. NOTHING in that episode made sense and i'm still pissed about it.
    TWD seems to be following in Lost's footsteps. Getting worse and worse each year and lazy lazy lazy writing. Lazy. silly stunts. I find most of it insulting as a viewer. and there is a thread on here about Andrew lincoln's acting in this episode. he's great most of the time but can I just say that Rick's "dumb founded face" is getting really annoying. he did it after fighting porch dick, hell, he might've done it in the prison, i'll have to rewatch but now every time something unexpected or intense happens, there it is, his Derrrrr Face. he kills the guy at hilltop and then makes the face. I hate it! are the directors afraid of hurting his feelings? put a mirror in front of him and then tell him NO. bad face Andrew Lincoln. quit it.

12. Biffster

Were you trying to make pancakes?

13. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

You don't get it. Ok -- don't get it.

14. Biffster

Get what? Either you're speaking in riddles or you just don't really like to get along with others. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt—my bad.

15. PapSett

PapSett Member

Thank you. You put into words BEAUTIFULLY exactly how I feel. I was, for the first time, dreading to watch TWD knowing what was coming and not wanting to see it. I hated Negan before we even met him. Then... nothing. And by the time we find out, I'm not going to care. Too much time will have passed, not to mention the good possibility that a spoiler will leak out. We were ripped off of what could have-SHOULD HAVE- been the most heart breaking moment of the series.

16. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

Rewatching the episode... I have a feeling the sniper role will be not Sasha but Gabriel. He looked pretty dope with that gun the past few episodes.

17. Seduxen

Seduxen New Member

JDM aka Negan is too skinny. I mean, the actor can look so much better and he should for a Negan. Skinny like this, I didn't find him too intimidating. My husband says after all it's the zombie apocalypse, so no wonder. But come on! He must have more food and stuff than anyone else, because he takes the food from everyone else. Still he is skinner than anyone? Alexandria, which is low on rescources even has fat people, yet Negan could be blown away by the wind. Even if he is wearing his tiny leather jacket.

#197 Seduxen, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  18. Puggles

Puggles Member

Agreed. And as others have suggested, the first episode in October could just be about Carole, the writers might drag it out even longer. Blah!

19. Zombiebaby

Zombiebaby Member

what i want to know is how did Negan's group know to be in one particular place, at one particular time in order to intercept Rick and his RV. Seems far too much of a coincidence that Negan's men knew that Rick's crew were all heading out to go see the bush doctor for Maggie.

20. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that he had lost weight for a role and was in the process of putting it back on. Also the beard was for his role on Goodwife, and he couldn't shave because he was filming that, thus the reference when Negan rubs his face and says, 'gotta shave this'. So sounds like we will get a clean shaven, heavier Negan.