Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

616 Praise and Positivity on the Last Day on Earth

Discussion in 'Episode 616 - Last Day on Earth' started by HondaS2kXD, Mar 30, 2016.

1. wcvet

wcvet New Member

MOrgan killing the guy to save Carol was the best part of the show!

2. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

I thought this was a great episode that took a big hit because of the boneheaded decision to use a cliffhanger.

The hapless feeling rick gave with his performance at the end was amazing. I mean he truly looked scared and i really felt scared for them. Actually watching him transform from confident to terrified was amazing.

I liked Carl this episode too. He had become boring to me but I think i'm starting to see that new Carl everyone said came after losing his eye.

I wasn't hugely into Morgan and Carol's scenes but I'm interested to see where they go and what happens to them.

I think Negan was great. I felt so scared for our people and still managed to laugh at times during Negan's speech.

I really liked the beginning with so many characters stepping up and being so confident. Eugene, Aaron and Gabriel specifically.

Rick and Maggies talks on the road were deep and I like Maggie telling Rick she had full faith in him even in a no win situation.

This episode was so good it just sucks they had to ruin it by ending it the way they did.

3. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

This was the first episode in a while that I had a physical reaction to. After the first couple of roadblocks I felt anxious but seeing the Savior pyramid , I felt what I suppose Rick was feeling...the slow realization that they were trapped, outnumbered and out smarted. The whistling creeped me out! Seeing our group made to kneel like little bitches made me pissed, scared, nauseous and broke my heart. Negan is sexy af, but I adore JDM. I don't know the comic Negan, but I thought he came off the way he's been described...a real bastard (who's sexy af). My heart was literally pounding. Like others , disappointed about the cliffhanger and hope it doesn't get spoiled. 7 months is a long time to ask fans to clench their teeth and is unnecessary to keep us looking forward. Also, AMC running FTWD instead of an encore presentation sucks, but dang, on the season finale they should have had an encore showing that wasn't at 1am.

4. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

Perfectly said. I agree with you on all points..

5. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

I think the Eugene/Abraham scene was one of my favourites...a bit of warmth in a very dark episode.

And I agree completely with you about Andrew Lincoln's performance. He looked wild-eyed, desperate, trembling with fear; only the fear he felt was not for himself, it was for his son and the rest of the group, whom he realizes he failed to protect.

I found the episode itself to be extremely well done, even if it did end with a cliffhanger. Normally I don't care for them, but for some reason it didn't bother me in the least. Guess it's because I found the entire episode to be riddled with a panicked anxiety that kept intensifying, right to the very end.

6. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

I loved the TWD "deja vu" of Morgan riding the horse down a lonely road, just as Rick did in the pilot episode.

Morgan kills! Six shots!

Eugene & Abe

Completely agree with @bassetluv and @Spartangal22 about AL's acting. He was wild eyed and scared witless for all of the people who have made it this far, with him. Ross Marquand did a great job, too.

The cat and mouse game of our guys and the Saviors was nail biting. To realize after all the situations your group has escaped & now they're are caught like rats in a trap.

i may be the only one, but it touches me when "macho men" like Abe, let down their guard like he did with Sasha.

Eugene keeps the humor alive with his "technical joking" -Sasha says, "Are you serious?" Eugene replies, "Like a myocardial infarction." (or something along those lines)

#26 Prufrock, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  7. GrrArrg

GrrArrg Member

Negan was brilliantly portrayed by Jeffrey Dean Morgan. I'm actually rooting for the Saviors at this point. Kinda hoping Negan finishes the rest of them off and replaces Rick as the main character on the show.

When people do dumb sh*t over and over again, it's hard to feel sorry for them when when all that dumb sh*t comes back around to bite them in the ass.

8. GrrArrg

GrrArrg Member

Also, as someone else mentioned, the Abe/Eugene scene was really well done.

The Abe/Sasha scene too. Abe is quickly becoming one of my favourite characters.

Father badass, while still feeling a bit forced, is really growing on me.

9. Komodia

Komodia Member

What I found positive was Andrew Lincoln's acting and the guy who did Negan, heck actually all of them on the set are good acting. Loved the dialogue with Negan.

10. Penumbra

Penumbra New Member

I have to say I really enjoyed the episode right up to that ridiculous ending, which I'm livid about. The ending aside I thought that it effectively wrapped up a few minor storylines (Gabriel and Eugene both becoming trustworthy, cementing the Sasha/Abraham situation etc), I loved watching the change in demeanour of the group as they went from pure arrogance to confusion and fear. I particularly liked the way they were herded and I haven't felt tension like that watching the show for some time. It would've been so easy for the Saviors to attack and overpower the group but this method made it far more fear-inducing. An all-out assault wouldn't have broken our groups minds but this shepharding tactic did. I enjoyed the Carol/Morgan subplot and hope this helps bring the best out in both of them. It seems poignant that Morgan is helping Carol face her demons given their history so far this season. Watching Morgan take a life in appropriate circumstances was enjoyable too. We saw he's not afraid to kill if he has to, it's just he's chosen to try to avoid that unless necessary so we can clearly now see where Morgan's boundaries lie.

I enjoyed watching Rick's transformation in particular. Andrew Lincoln acted the part pefectly and you could see his inner torment and confusion as to how his life transformed so quickly. He can now see the sheer scale of what he is facing and this is an important lesson for him on how the world actually is now.

11. MegaMattMKV

MegaMattMKV Member

I just realized this episode was probably WAY better to watch WITHOUT the commercials which I did. I can see how that would get exceedingly irritating in this kind of episode. I'm soooooo glad I didn't watch on TV.

12. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

It reminded me somewhat of Rick's demonstration to Michonne and Carl about how to snare a rabbit - funnelling them into one place, toward the trap - which, ironically, was how they were captured at Terminus. This too was a trap, only with multiple blockades set up, forcing the group straight into the snare.

I looked at that scene perhaps a little bit differently. Carol, who had previously been fighting Morgan over the ethics of killing - her avowing that it was necessary and Morgan stating that all life is precious - has now taken on Morgan's view. She no longer wants to kill. She has empathy for people, and will only kill if absolutely necessary, yet placed in a situation where she's forced to do so tears her apart. Yet Morgan, who has been adamant about preventing killing, and believes that where there is life there is hope, not only shot the man who went after Carol...he emptied the entire contents of his gun into him. He didn't just attempt to stop the guy...his rage over seeing what the man did to Carol came out in full fury. I suspect that Morgan's take on life is now going to be altered; no longer will he live by the "all life is precious" credo. He's learned that he can, and will, kill to protect those he cares about, and more importantly, it is necessary in order to survive. I also suspect that because of Morgan's persistence in showing her how much he and the group do care, Carol will give up her "I can't kill any more" mindset.

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post about Rick...the torment that has clearly shaken Rick to his core, is because he realizes that he is the one who caused all of this. His decision to kill the Saviours in order to provide food for the group is what brought Negan's evil to come raining down upon them, and ultimately everyone's suffering - everyone's death - in Rick's group at the hands of Negan is a direct result of Rick's decision.

Whatever they're paying Andrew Lincoln, it isn't enough. ;)

#32 bassetluv, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  13. Aquatic Nuggets

While there's no way on the planet I can call this episode anything but garbage, I will say that the idea behind it, and what I'm sure Gimple, Nicotero, and the whole team was going for was absolutely fantastic. Think about it.

The way this was supposed to go is: Since No Way Out, things have been going great for Rick. He's been introduced to a new group that's going to help him get food, he's managed to take out a group of evil people (in his mind) without them even having a chance to retaliate, his people are strong enough to escape a compound by themselves, even the idiots at Alexandria can fight for themselves, and damn, Rick's even gotten his love life together again. If East and Twice As Far didn't make the Saviors so suddenly competent, Rick's strolling into this finale at complete ease. The man's invincible at this point. Even Gabriel's gotten his shit together.

So when he comes up to that first roadblock, that cockiness was great to see. "I don't want to have to kill any of your people. Well, any MORE of your people." This man thinks he's just about God, here. And I get what they were trying to do with the repetition, I really do. Rick trying to go another way, several different times, encountering bigger, smarter, more ruthless groups of these people each time? If those set pieces were more powerful, it just might've been absolutely terrifying. These are people we thought were idiots, but they're posing a threat. That feel of thinking you're on top before being knocked down, that they were trying to convey here - not only was that frustrating and terrifying, that was new, fresh. Season 4 seems like it did that, but deep down, Rick knew he wasn't on top. He was playing a waiting game. Here, he really believes it, and why on Earth shouldn't he?

That last scene with Negan is perhaps the only time the show nailed that theme. Lincoln and JDM really sell it - Lincoln's face encompassing Rick's fear, but also the deep, terrifying frustration that this was really all his fault. Morgan's "You didn't finish it. You started something." echoes in the mind during this scene, and you know Rick is hearing it too. Had he just left things alone, not killed those people in their sleep, then he wouldn't be here, forced to swallow Negan's shit and thank him for it. Someone he loves is about to die because of the choices that he's made, choices he didn't have to make, and there's absolutely nothing he can do about it, and the fear and paralyzing anxiety that is coursing through him is so physically evident that it's heartbreaking. This isn't Terminus - there's none of that determination, none of the confidence in his ability to kill whoever messes with him - that Rick is gone. This is Season 1 Rick, helpless, fresh out of the hospital. And it is terrifying.

All the while, Negan's meandering around with a baseball bat like a psychopath, making jokes, like this is fun, or common - this dude is deranged. And while his speech is great, it basically amounts to "You had no idea what you got yourself into. And now someone's gonna die and it's gonna be your fault. Come on, you've been through this. What did you really expect?" And Rick's gotta live with that. A few minutes into Negan's speech, Rick screams. "STOP THIS!" he screams, as if he has some control. In Negan's words, he's so utterly, helplessly f*cked, and it's of his own doing. And this is all from a man who thought he was God a few hours earlier.

That is terrifying, in the worst, most frustrating way, because it could've been avoided. This is No Way Out's logical extension, because there is, literally, not a way out of this. No amount of determination or Carol magic can save Rick, and I want to again point out, that this is all his fault.

And had Gimple and his team just written the damn season a little better, all of that could've been conveyed in the episode rather than implied, and hell, this could've been the best episode of the series. Again, think about it. Remember what Rick said in A? "You're screwing with the wrong people." This was the show's chance to show what life would be like if Rick's group was Terminus, and someone else was his group. Imagine if Negan said that to Rick after Lucilling someone? I would have been out of my seat, dying at irony like that.

The idea behind this episode, this whole back season, was A+ material. It doesn't get any better. The execution, well. You saw what we got.

14. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I have waited two days to post anything about this episode. I admit that for a wee bit following the episode I was angry and frustrated. Shortly after I realized I was behaving like a petulant child who has not gotten her way. So I took a couple of cleansing breaths, took stock of the bigger picture and came to a very simplistic conclusion - it is what it is. Time to dust myself off, put on my big girl panties and do the only thing that is available to me at this point - wait, like everyone else (well except those that will be hovering for summer spoilers), for the resolution. I am hoping that Gimple & Co are giving us the truth (as best they are capable of) in regard to the "who" being revealed the first episode of season 7 and that they do right by the fans.

I am not going to linger for too very long. Implementing a self imposed sabbatical from TWD threads, going to focus on the FTWD threads for the time being, the awesome Rick thread from time to time. I have never been one to relish or enjoy the redundant whining and complaining of the same thing over and over, which is exactly what this particular episode will garner. In my older age I can only take so much butt hurt groans in the span of a few weeks and already I have reached my limit with the usual suspects.

I just want to take a bit of time to offer this:

• The episode as a whole was awesome in my opinion. The cat and mouse bits between Team Rick and Team Negan were beautiful.
    • Loved that with each passing road block the number of Saviors grew and grew.
    • The fear on Rick's face with each passing road block was a sight to behold.
    • Rick's realization with each passing road block that his control over the situation was a thing of the past was heartbreaking

• I have been dreading this moment, when my strong, powerful, sure Rick was going to be brought down a peg or ten in a most brutal and horrific manner and Andrew Lincoln, as usual, did not disappoint in his delivery.
    • Carl - damn Carl! Loved LOVED his stoic and fearless game face
    • Sasha's tear down her cheek really hit me in the gut
    • The absolute fear of each and everyone on their knees was painful and I felt it

And last but not least - Jeffrey Dean Morgan, you sir were PERFECTION!!!!

#34 Dnae, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  15. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

There are two youtube channels that I really enjoy...Meg's being one of them. Give her video a watch and subscribe to her channel. She will be doing videos for Fear the Walking Dead also.

Channel: Meg Stansfield

[video=youtube;YPiX3F4OQ84]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPiX3F4OQ84[/video]

16. Cliff Hanger

Cliff Hanger New Member

17. J K

J K Member

I really enjoyed seeing Steven Ogg, hopefully we get to see more of him.

18. darkrosenberg

darkrosenberg Member

When everyone was kneeling in that finale scene with Negan, there was so much dread and discomfort that for the first time in a while I felt like wow they so f*cked and they are not getting out this time. They've all been in trouble and the whole Wolf attack was scary but seeing Rick defeated like that really brought it home. Rick has been dethroned and the group has been demoralized. And I kind of like the cliff hanger honestly at least how they did it with the POV. I always feel a lot of anticipation and there has been some pretty sketch endings like after the Gov attacked the prison for the last time and everyone was scattered. I think it was well played that we didn't see Negan until the end. I also found his calmness even more frightening than someone like the Gov who would act on his emotions and lay waste to everyone in his path. Negan is smart and charming. There's a reason why he has all those people of course from the sounds of it he's also a psycho and a sadist. I like that I don't know who got the business end of Lucille but I'm a little worried that the writers are going to go limp and kill off Abe or Eugene.

19. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

The Saviors are every bit as threatening on TV as in print (If not a much MUCH larger group), and the group they were surrounded by looked like an evil mirror of almost every one of Ricks warriors past and present.

JDM... Brilliant, as I knew he would be. Just play "The Comedian" with a biker jacket and you are golden.

But the part I loved the most, and seems to have been overlooked here, is that they did not go the comic route, and have Rick pass out on watch on top of the RV and get pulled off by an animal snare like a punk... At least he did not drop the ball like that. It was much better to see his evolution from confidence to despair, as he drug his "Family" through the gates of hell itself.

But as said above, I will not likely have a large presence here until after the premiere airs. I was rooting for this not to be a cliffhanger as it was done, but ending with the infamous "Ta-Ta" and fade to black. For once on this show, I really don't want to be spoiled by who bites the big one, though it really can only be one of two people in my mind.

20. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

I loved the acting in this episode. Andrew Lincoln was already mentioned, but everyone did a great job. And I hate to say it, but I love Negan ... portrayed by Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Is there anything, that man can't play convincingly? His speech was creepy as hell, yet it was fun to listen to JDM.

Some scenes, I loved:
    - Morgan and Carol: I get the feeling, those two will have to help each other next season, they are both very vulnerable at the moment.
    - Eugenes will to sacrifice himself
    - Ricks trust speech to Gabriel - who would have thought that possible a season before?
    - Carl staring down Negan (and Negans referrence to the 'little future serial killer')
    - finally a horse survived an episode of TWD - I don't care, who died via Lucille, at least the horse made it :zombies_lol:

I liked the creepy touch of this episode - how Rick and his people where hunted without really realising it at first. I think, I seldom hated a group of fictional people as much as the saviors (and that includes Star Treks Borgs and Cardassians, Emperor Cartagia and Bester from Babylon 5, even Tywin, Cersei, Joffrey and Ramsay Snow ... sorry ... Bolton from Game of Thrones or Lucifer from Supernatural to name a few well liked baddies from other shows I love). And don't get me wrong, I love to hate the saviors - for me, it's the sign, that a bad guy or an evil force is working out, so it's a compliment here. At first, I thought, they were a bit weak at the shooting side, but of course, Negan wanted Rick & Co to be alive, so all is good