Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[704] Praise and Positivity!!

Discussion in 'Episode 704 - Service' started by GrungeMan, Nov 11, 2016.

1. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

Collecting all your praise and positivity for the episode here, so we can give half of it to Negan next week.

I would also like to ask the moderator to sticky this thread if that's alright =)

Not sure how to tag [MENTION=8303]Tony Davis[/MENTION], but I believe I am to ask you!

2. batongal

batongal Active Member

Good things that happened this episode:
    Negan's reaction to Gabriel.
    Gabriel steppin' up and protecting Maggie.
    Rick grunting to Spencer that he'll break his jaw.
    The talk about Lori, Shane & Judith
    Rosita standing her ground

3. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Rick offering to break Spencer's jaw made me happy to see that Rick is unequivocally still demanding respect in his own group.

Loved the show ending on Rosita's, "Make me a bullet."

4. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was coming to post, gals!

I could've kissed Gabriel's shiny head for his quick thinking.

Rosita's bravery juxtaposed against Spencer's never ending whining.

I saw imagery in Rick "making his bed" that he now had to lay in.

5. batongal

batongal Active Member

Great love it.

6. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

And then- after the horrific visit (beds et al)Michonne finds that the beds are burning.

7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

My favorite Negan line with a great look when he told Rick "I missed ya"

Heart wrenching moment #1 When the camera first pans to Daryl just outside the ASZ gates, the close up of his face. The way he is twitching, the bruising and dirt from beatings and the way he is being forced to "live". The way Daryl cannot bring himself to look at Rick. And the anger shown in Rick's face when he sees the state that Daryl is in. Gah.....heartbreaking
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And poor Rick, it looks like he has not stopped crying since it all began.

Chilling moment - That Negan flip switch from rambling on, gleefully, at Maggie's fake grave site and then the gun shot and in the blink of an eye his entire demeanor goes to the complete extreme of anger and menace. and that look he gives Rick is frightening as hell. The man gives me the chills and I do not mean in a good Rick Grimes or Jesus kind of give me the chills way. I mean in a do not ever want to come face to face with him in a dark alley, fog rolliing in, jack the ripper vibe kind of chills.

Carl may not be thinking clearly or in a productive way BUT the kid has cojones

Never thought I would be saying this, never thought that she would be anything more than a fringe character with a name. But Rosita!! As much as this episode was a continuation of the Negan Rick struggle IMO she owned this episode. Every damn time she was on screen it was cause for a "YES" and a cheer or ten for her. She even surpassed Carl in the "has gumption" department. The looks she gave both Negan and Dwight. Her annoyance and blossoming dislike for Spencer. And that end scene telling Eugene "make me a bullet" was the cherry on the hot fudge sundae. I think that Rosita is going to play a pivotal role in bringing Rick back from the brink of giving up. So glad that they are developing her character. Her continued growth and readiness to fight is exactly what Abraham would be doing if he would not have been killed.
    [​IMG]

Heartbreaking moment #2 - again it is Daryl. When Negan is pointing the gun, aims it towards Daryl and Daryl does not even flinch, no reaction - but is a no reaction of complete lack of desire to fight, he has given up, does not care if he dies.

I love that Rick was so hell bent on not letting Olivia meet her death. He did not want to lose anyone else. No one, not just wanting to save his family, but all of the people of Alexandria. He needed to know that he could save her life. Maybe not in the usual Rick MF Grimes way we are all accustomed to, but he needed to save her nonetheless.

Heartbreaking moment #3 - Enid wanting to keep the green balloons, her only tangible link to Glenn

While I did not like it - that moment between Rick and Michonne in the run down house hurt my heart. His fear of losing her, Carl or Judith...or anyone else was felt. And the look on her face, her disappointment, her own fear that man she loves is lost - well it was a great moment albeit a difficult moment to watch, between the two of them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

"If you don't have something interesting for us someone is going to die" - my first thought is that IF that were to happen Daryl would be the one Negan chooses now that he knows that Daryl means a great deal to Rick

All is not lost with Rick. The tell is in the way he grips the handle of Lucille a couple of times in the episode. While he may not yet have the fight back in him, it IS lurking within and in time it will once again find its way to the surface. But Daryl, I just do not know if he will be able to come back from not only the physical abuse he has endured but more so come back from the psychological abuse. He just seems so devoid of any feeling/emotion whatsoever.
    [​IMG]

All in all I thought it was a really good episode. I have enjoyed each episode this season, but I am feeling a bit of unease with each episode. I think it is due to the vibe of this season being so different from all others. I have read many reviews who are lamenting that there is no hope this season. Well damn, they are not even a week gone since Glenn and Abe were killed, of course there is a feeling of hopelessness, of course there is a heavy sense of sadness hanging over them. They have a madman that they have not yet had the time to come to terms with, have not had the time to even begin thinking of how to defeat him. It would be unrealistic to have our group within the span of a week pull themselves all up by the boot straps at the same time, train the other residents of ASZ, make contact with Hilltop and formulate a plan of attack. Watching them grieve, get angry, become frayed at the edges, battle themselves and one another, deal with their fear and their own sense of feeling as though their hands are tied...that is what their reality would be considering that not even a week has passed. Hell that would be their reality if had been an entire month and then some.

Apologies for my book. I just needed to share LOL!

#7 Dnae, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chiron

Chiron Member

Andrew Lincoln is taking them ALLLL to acting school including Jeffrey. Ricky MF Grimes was BRILLIANT.

Plus all of the above! (Traveling and short on time but will be back to read all and like posts).

9. Expat-N-America

Expat-N-America Active Member

Some great moments in this mixed bag.

I literally gasped when I saw Daryl. I hate seeing his character so demoralized and beaten. But it was a great moment nonetheless.
    Finally getting to like Rosita. Her end line was the best of the night.
    Rick still has a bit of fight in him. I think he's waiting for more allies.
    Good to see Carl so fiesty, even if it was a bit careless.
    A good reminder of Shane and Lori.
    A good reminder that Eugene can make bullets.
    Negan getting more than one comic line. I hope they keep this up.

10. DocCovington

DocCovington Member

You don't earn respect by threatening others with violence. His reaction was clearly based on two things: Rick being this close to exploding (due to Negan), and second his urge to protect his people and not having need of a "hotshot" like Spencer who is pointing fingers and thinks he knows better (when in reality he is endangering the group and can clearly not be trusted).

I see a redshirt alert on Spencer, he isn't going to last very long.

11. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I hope you are right about the redshirt alert. (I like that phrase!)

When did Spencer ever respect anyone? Does he respect his community? His mother when she tried to talk to him when she learned he was a thief? Nope. So why would he ever respect Rick. Rick just needs to keep him in line, if he can.

12. hiddeninside

hiddeninside Member

My favorite moments in this terrible episode (terrible not as in “boring” but as in “*grrr* want to dive in and kill these bastards NOW!”):

• Rosita looking for new guns – first time I start to like her
    • Michonne’s argument with Rick – I like that she has her own mind; tells her opinion and still stands by his side
    • Carl’s freak-out and
    • Rick’s twitching hand – as a sign he’s not completely broken (yet?)

It’s great to see – same as in episode 1 – especially the women having the strength to stand up and fight on. Looking forward to see more of our power-girls. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Thank you to the mystery rep giver. Your kind words brought a smile to my face this morning :D

14. WickedJenn

WickedJenn Active Member

Going to preface this with saying that I have not read the comics in full, but I did look up enough about Negan to get a general idea of him.

Negan, well, he scares the absolute bejeebus out of me. I'm a horror movie junkie, I go on actual ghost investigations (yes, I'm actually saying, or typing, that), I even entered to win a contest to spend the night in the Catacombs in Paris - aka, I'm not someone who's easily frightened. But this dude? I actually dreamed Negan was tapping on my door with Lucille, asking to "Let [him] in" after this episode.

I know Negan in the comics drops the f-bomb a multitude of times, but even without that, I appreciated how they took lines he spoke directly from the comics and still were able to keep most of his crude language. Anyway, when he first approached the gate and was whistling Beethoven's Fifth Symphony? Yeah, that got me. I could literally feel the tenseness and fear from the group as they realized he was there. Perhaps it was stronger in some than others, but, it was there. Not in a literal sense obviously, but I do know how that fear feels, that walking on eggshells, never knowing what's coming next. They did such an amazing job of portraying that, and I think THAT is why Negan is so scary to me, and why I can really understand how the group feels.

JDM was incredible as always, but it's Andrew Lincoln who really has been blowing me away. From his facial expressions, his eyes especially, they gave away SO much, it was just amazing; to how he was shakily gripping Lucille, tightening his hand on it multiple times. He wanted so bad to retaliate, yet he knew he couldn't, he knew it wasn't the right time. The stare downs he had with Negan, man, it radiated tension right off my TV screen. Right now, Negan knows he's got Rick by the :zombies_censored:, and that Rick can't do anything about it...yet, anyway.

Carl, loved how he stood right up to Negan. He did something almost all the adults couldn't do, and that was after Negan almost had his own father cut his arm off. All that pudding eating really paid off eh?

Kudos to Daryl - he kept his persona going, I know exactly what he's doing, and I really think that it's HIM Negan's got to keep an eye out for. I cannot wait to see how that plays out.

Michonne - still my favorite female on the show, from day one. No matter what's going on, she is herself, and despite all the trauma from the opener, she's right back to her "let's get this guy" stance. I liked how they cycled it around with her in the beginning and the end, especially after what she'd learned from Rick.

I'll probably add more as I think of things...

• Like Like x 3
  15. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Great post and welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your take on episode 5.

16. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

Great thoughts. Welcome to the forum!!

It's been a few days since I have seen the episode, but I really loved the tension in the run-down house scene between Rick and Michonne over the rifle. They're both such strong characters and I loved seeing that emotion come out in that scene regarding wanting to resist, but also not wanting to potentially create another situation that can have another friend killed.

While others may not agree, I was impressed with Carl's grit as well. Very excited to see his relationship with Negan unfold in the future.

17. WickedJenn

WickedJenn Active Member

Thank you!!

I agree, that scene was extremely poignant for the two of them. Rick opened up to her also, and that's huge. Hell, it was huge for us too as we finally had confirmation that Judith was Shane's. I think that scene where Rick was telling her all that was on of the best ever in the show.

I had seen during story sync that Carl's confrontation w/Negan was in the comics (I love when they show things like that). It was nice to see Carl show Negan that he hadn't beaten him down after their last meeting. Me too!

18. Chiron

Chiron Member

Hahaaaa well put.

19. Chiron

Chiron Member

Amen sister. As much as I hate his character, Austin Amelio also has been goddamn amazing from minute one in TWD and he was superb too in 704. I think Ricky looked pretty comfy there with Lucille.

20. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

There was a lot, I liked about this episode:

- Father Gabriel - he was just amazing. And Negans reaction to him was priceless.
    - Michonne was great as always. She is and probably always will be my favorite character on this show.
    - as others stated, Carls reaction might have been foolish, but he showed a lot of backbone. ANd I', still not sure, if he started the fight with the saviors, to keep their attention awayy from Judith. So far, Negan & Co don't seem to know, that she exists.
    - Daryl was heartbreaking, I hope, he'll gets free soon
    - Rosita: I liked her in season 6 too, when she tried, to get Eugene to train with a weapon.But how she stood up to Negan and Dwight was priceless.
    - am I the only one, who rooted for Olivia to live? She might not be of great help in a fight, but she seems to be a decent person, who does not deserve, what Negan put her through.
    - and finally: the acting was great again. I really like seeing Andrew Lincoln and Jeffrey Dean Morgan act, they are both very intense. In fact, at the moment, there is no cast member, that I do consider weak. They are all great.