Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

8-9 Writer and Director

Discussion in 'Episode 809 - Honor' started by Tony Davis, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

Writer- TBA

Director- Greg Nicotero http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0630524/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    • Judge, Jury, Executioner (S2-E11)
    • Say The Word (S3-E5)
    • I Ain't A Judas (S3-E11)
    • This Sorrowful Life (S3-E15)
    • 30 Days Without An Accident (S4-E1)
    • After (S4-E9)
    • Us (S4-E15)
    • No Sanctuary (S5-E1)
    • What Happened And What's Going On (S5-E9)
    • Remember (S5-E12)
    • Conquer (S5-E16)
    • First Time Again (S6-E1)
    • No Way Out (S6-E9)
    • Not Tomorrow Yet (S6-E12)
    • Last Day On Earth (S6-E16)
    • The Day Will Come When You Won't Be (S7-E1)
    • The Well (S7-E2)
    • Rock In The Road (S7-E9)
    • Say Yes (S7-E12)
    • The First Day Of The Rest Of Your Life (S7-E16)
    • Mercy (S8-E1)
    • Monsters (S8-E3)

2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I am not one to complain every damn day about the show. Hell, I rarely complain and simply choose to enjoy the show for what it is - entertainment

But there are two persons involved with this show who I find myself wishing more times than not there "roles" would be altered to one degree or another

1. Norman Reedus/Daryl Dixon

2. Greg Nicotero - I wish the man would not end up behind the camera so damn often. Personal choice on my part for sure but I just do not think his directing skills warrant the number of times he is chosen to direct

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reina

Reina Active Member

It surprises me how many feel like you do about Nicotero. I never knew so many didn't care for him much until about a month ago. I've always thought he is interesting myself. However, I don't pay much attention to the directors and how the episodes differ from one another, so I may just be ignorant on it. Only judging things on a surface level, I guess.

He was such a generous, sweet fella at one of the cons I went to. I watched him show pictures from his phone to a young kid and exchange emails I think. I've never seen someone so happy in my life. The little boy was crying from happiness when they said goodbye.

This season I'm going to pay more attention to the director of episodes and how they differ from one another. Also, see which director is behind my favorite episodes.

4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I like Nicotero well enough, and yeah he does appear to be a great guy. I just think that there are others who are more adept behind the camera than he is. He does a fine job overall but there are times I think he gets too carried away with the desire to be the next Ingmar Bergman rather than focusing on the development and direction of the episode story and the characters involved in that story.

Do you watch Fear the Walking Dead? This last season (#3) was great and I think a lot of it had to do with the directors they use. I just wish that TWD would go back to using a number of different directors rather than the same ones over and over. I think that more episodes from Jennifer Lynch and Kari Skogland would be interesting to throw into the mix and bring back the likes of Michelle Maclaren

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

Those three women you mentioned are so fantastic. They definitely are among the shows stronger talent.

For me, though, I have tried to look for any variation in my preferences for directors and have only found that most repeat directors basically average out their good and bad. Actually, the only strong correlations I see between my personal preferences and TWD talent are the writers. I'll have to go back and see which ones they are, but there are like 2-3 writers that consistently write episodes I wasnt into.

Surprisingly, Gimple is one of my preferred writers, but has proven himself to be a lacking showrunner starting in Season 6. There was a poster here who I think said it best: He's great with mapping out an episode and doing very character driven material, but is awful at mapping out an entire season.

6. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

Writer- Matt Negrete http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0619408/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
    • Indifference (S4-E4)
    • Inmates- w/Channing Powell (S4-E10)
    • Slabtown- w/Channing Powell (S5-E4)
    • Consumed- w/Corey Reed (S5-E6)
    • Spend (S5-E14)
    • First Time Again- w/Scott M. Gimple (S6-E1)
    • Start To Finish (S6-E8)
    • Knots Untie- w/Channing Powell (S6-E11)
    • Twice As Far (S6-E14)
    • Last Day On Earth- w/Scott M. Gimple (S6-E16)
    • The Well (S7-E2)
    • Hearts Still Beating- w/Channing Powell (S7-E8)
    • Say Yes (S7-E12)
    • The First Day Of The Rest Of Your Life- w/Scott Gimple and Angela Kang (S7-E16)
    • The Damned- w/Channing Powell (S8-E2)
    • Monsters- w/Channing Powell (S8-E3)
    • Time For After- w/Corey Reed (S8-E7)
    Writer- Channing Powell http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2444553/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
    • Internment (S4-E5)
    • Inmates- w/Matthew Negrete (S4-E10)
    • Slabtown- w/Matthew Negrete (S5-E4)
    • Remember (S5-E12)
    • Heads Up (S6-E7)
    • Knots Untie- w/Matthew Negrete (S6-E11)
    • East- w/Scott M. Gimple (S6-E15)
    • Go Getters (S7-E5)
    • Hearts Still Beating- w/Matt Negrete (S7-E8)
    • New Best Friends (S7-E10)
    • The Damned- w/Matt Negrete (S8-E2)
    • Monsters- w/Matt Negrete (S8-E3)