Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

9-11 18th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PepperAnn, Sep 11, 2019.

1. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Hard to believe it's been 18 years, coming up on 20. I still remember every moment of that entire day. Hugs to anyone who lost anyone on that tragic day. <3

• Like Like x 2
  2. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

A day I will never forget. I remember a co-worker coming in and telling me a plane had gone into the World Trade Center. Like everyone else at first we assumed it was an accident. Until the second one went in. Then the Pentagon. At that point I knew it as al qaeda because they always attacked in three. I cannot imagine the horror those innocent people went through :(

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I heard a commotion and walked down the hall to see a bunch of the staff crowded around a t.v. where they were showing the twin towers' footage. An older colleague of mine was pacing back and forth saying, "it's those God-damned Arabs, I bet it's those God-damned Arabs" over and over. A shocking, sad day.:(

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I remember I was running late that day. I was about a block from work and listening to my usual morning show. There was a cut in from one of the hosts saying, we have news that........and there it was.

I went into work and told my boss that the first tower was hit, we went in to the break room and turned on the TV and that's when the second tower was hit. We were shocked.

That break room was packed all day. And it was payroll day and I was there LATE into the night trying to get it done because I couldn't tear myself away from the break room.

I also could NOT wake my boyfriend up at the time. He worked night shift and was sleeping. I must have called him 20-30 times. FINALLY woke him up.

Still have the magazines from that day. Time, Newsweek etc.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

I worked at the zoo. Right in the flight path of the airport. The radio show i listen to has a history of pranking news. They faked a shuttle landing at an airport meant for prop planes. Hundreds of people skipped work. People pulled their kids out of school to watch it land. I thought it was a joke until i got to work and no one wanted to be there. That whole month was nerve racking. Dozens of planes passed overhead every day. And we had thousands of visitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  6. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

c
    Did you work at the San Diego zoo? I love that zoo! Walking around it is awfully good exercise, too.

7. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I had the day off from work and was vacuuming the living room. My oldest daughter was home from school, sick. I had the tv on, but didn’t really pay attention. When I did look up at it, I had seen the north tower on fire. It was right then, the second plane hit.
    I remember calling my mom and asking what was going on. She told me we were under attack.
    I went to the school and pulled my youngest out, even though she would have been safe.

Even though I didn’t know any of the people who died that day, I still feel as if I lost family members.

The truth is out there

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. DeadZedHead

Ya. Lots of hills and canyons. I was there 16 yrs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

They must have been fighter jets flying cover? There were no planes at all here in California. It was fascinating to learn that the noise from things I can't even see contributed to the ambient background noise so much. The quiet was lovely.

Eventually the day came when a dust cropper flew overhead when a friend and I were wading at the Alameda beach. I said Plane! :eek: We looked up and watched in silence.

Along with PepperAnn's BF, I missed it, because I was at home and I don't watch daytime TV and didn't even own a computer. I didn't know until I was in my car around noon, Pacific time, which was quite late. My heart broke into a million bits. We had a thread once about our experiences that day, and that thread made a lot of my heart bits stitch back together. I love you all.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. DeadZedHead

Air traffic was halted for two days then back to normal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I can't believe it's been 18 years. Life was so different back then. For all of us.

My boys were just babies and my girl wasn't even born yet.

I'm 3 hours behind, so I woke up right before the second WTC building was hit. I turned on the TV and I had no clue what was being reported. My phone had several VMs from all of my family back east who were calling me and informing me of what happened.

I just saw smoke coming from the first WTC building and it reminded me of the 1993 bombing. At first I thought it was repeat of that event, because no one reporting had yet talked about the fact the a plane had flown into it.

Then out of nowhere, you see something fly into the other building and that's when the shit really hit the fan and we all knew this was WAY WORSE than anything we've witnessed before in terms of terrorist attacks.

I think I stayed tuned into the news for the entire day and even into the next day. I was seriously locked in. I had a bunch of family here in the NW that were flying off to Mexico that day, but it never happened. Their vacation got cut short by 3 days.

Also, I had a 3rd cousin who worked in one of the buildings and he passed away from either fire or wreckage. I didn't know him, never met him, and never knew of him before my grandmother told all of us that he was part of an extended branch of the family. His great-grandmother and my great-grandmother were 1st cousins. That's the extent of what I know about him. I don't even remember his name.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sharpie61

13. Sharpie61

Omg, here I go again, bawling my eyes out. And not because I just got home from the dentist.

There’s a thread on twitter by Clays and Birds, that honors all the SAR dogs from 9-11.
    This is the one that made me cry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The truth is out there

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

When I turned the TV on that morning, one of the towers had been hit and there was smoke pouring out. The only thing I wondered was how in the world are they going to get up there to fix that. Never in a million years did I think the buildings would collapse, mostly, I guess, because it never happens. But here it was, two 110 storey buildings, peeling like bananas. It was unforgettable.

A couple other things still don’t make sense though: why was there no airplane wreckage found at either the Pentagon or in Shanksville, Pennsylvania? Why did WTC 7 collapse later the same day when it was not hit by an airplane like WTC 1 & 2? I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but things have to make sense.

15. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Massive amounts of debris from one of the twin towers caused heavy damage to WTC 7 The load combined with structural damaged caused by the crashing of the tower made it collapse, but it happened later because it wasn't the same type of damage as a direct impact from an airplane which was basically used as a missile. In addition, there's the fire/heat generated from the full tank jet fuel.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Lindigo

I had to Goggle that. At the bottom of this main story is a link to what happened to WTC 7. I appreciate your post because I knew there were conspiracy theories, but I had never been curious enough to see what they were.

Edit. Oh, the last story I clicked on is the link I copied. It started with an article that had pictures of the plane wreckages.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/design/a3524/4278874/

17. Lindigo

• Like Like x 1
  18. Biffster

There may be a logical explanation, but the collapse just seems too neat and self-contained for my simple mind to comprehend.

19. Biffster

Shanksville: small debris field, no sign of an airplane anywhere, no seats, no luggage, no bodies, no fuselage, no wings, no engines, no black box—nothing to show that a plane crashed there. Awfully strange.

20. Lindigo

I figure that's the predictable way for a building to come down when it's internal support has too much stress from fire or whatever. So that's why planned implosions are possible.

In SF, that is how apartment buildings come down after a quake if they have not been properly cross braced. BANG! They would pancake down. So the building code was changed to require more bracing. But they did come down very tidily when they failed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1