Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[911] Bounty-ful praise abounds

Discussion in 'Episode 911 - Bounty' started by Dnae, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Already excited for this episode

Luke and Alden

More Alpha

Connie

Lydia

2. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

The one very good thing about this episode is that it brought back to my mind an amazing Alice Cooper song.

"Dead babies can take care of themselves"

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I have been absent from the forum this week. Needed to take a break from some of those who have nothing but negative things to share. It just became this old record (vinyl album reference for you kiddos) that some have played over and over. I need to add a few more locks on the dungeon so I am not able to read those posts. Okay....enough of that

I loved this episode.

Of course I loved it. I have been going on and on about Samantha Morton. And with this episode she finally had screen time lasting more than just those closing minutes of an episode.

First of all I am going to give my two cents worth about her accent. It is not a southern accent nor do I think it is an attempt at a southern accent. From the moment I first heard her speak as Alpha in that first clip before the MSP I knew what it reminded me of. I thought is was reminiscent of JFK's accent. Which would make sense when we see (in episode 910) that she is from the Baltimore MD area. I will concede that it could be a blend of the Kennedy type accent with a touch of West Virginia Appalachian thrown in, but it is NOT a southern accent.

Anywho......
    The Kingdom-ites. Just nerve racking enough to keep me interested, with a dash of whimsy thrown in. No doubt to give me respite from the anxiety that the mere presence of Alpha causes me. I swear she makes Negan look like a neutered lap kitty.

Unlike some I did not see this as "filler". We needed to touch base with the Kingdom. We needed to be reminded that the other communities are oblivious to the concurrent happenings at Hilltop. We are reminded that Carol, Zeke and Co. are completely in the dark about Alpha and have no knowledge whatsoever of the death of Jesus nor the capture of Alden and Luke. Hell Carol and Zeke do not even know who Luke is other than seeing him (along with the rest of Magna's group) enter Hilltop with Michonne. This further illustrates the rift between Hilltop/The Kingdom with Alexandria - that no one has deemed it necessary to warn The Kingdom of this new threat. Hilltop cannot because they are in the thick of a deep ocean of shit as Abe would have said. While Alexandria could send word but we now know (episode 909) that their policy is to take care of their own, to stay behind the walls.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Hilltop -
    Shall we all let out a collective sigh of "Oh Henry!"?
    On one hand I get it. Teenager, hormones, away from all and who he knows, lonely, blah blah blah. BUT this not Saved By The Bell! The old rules no longer apply. Teenager or not you do not go off half cocked with your angst ridden one day old so called relationship with the captive daughter of the leader of the group who just murdered on of your own and currently has two of them held as hostages. I am not a proponent of corporal punishment but someone needed to spank this kid a long time ago ;)

With that said - I do understand why the story went this direction. Henry's instant crushing on his damsel in distress provided Daryl the means necessary to gather intel. Intel that would eventually serve to move some of us to the tic a mark in the sympathy column of "how do we feel about Lydia". This provided the story with the means to move at a brisk pace rather than stalling for three episodes trying to politely convince Lydia to share with us. With the knowledge of her abuse we also have a believable foundation for Daryl's resistance to return her to Alpha. Of course this is tested by events that unfold in this episode. The greater good outweighs his wish to save her from abuse that he is all too familiar with.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

WELCOME BACK!!! I missed this week's review all week!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Alpha - **CHILLS**
    Samantha Morton does not miss a beat with this character.

She is a force to be reckoned with. She states her demands, nothing is clouded in bullshit or over the top lines. She says what she means and she means what she says. Simply raising her arm calls in her reinforcements to lend an example of just who this group is. A well oiled machine. Each of them knows their place, they know who is in charge and they dare not question her. But it is the subtle bits that are so damn unnerving. Her ever so slight smile. The shrug of her shoulder. The quiet way she speaks one on one to Daryl. There is no bravado with her. It is not a show. I did not make it to this part of the comic so I have no idea how Kirkman wrote the character. So my praise is pointed to Angela Kang in writing a female antagonist. It is rare that a woman who is being touted as the "bad guy" is written in such a manner. Usually this type of female character's badness is illustrated by her as being bitchy, using her femininity to manipulate, etc. Alpha is not bitchy. Alpha is in control. Yes, she is manipulative, but she manipulates in a way that is not grounded in her sexuality/gender. She has brain washed these people to her way of thinking. She did not do it by being that over played Sex in the City Samantha type of bitchy female. So thank you AK (and Robert Kirkman if he also wrote her this way) for giving us an antagonist that could easily be either male or female.

Daryl making the decision to confront her face to face - to make that decision about Lydia. Might as well stop fighting it Daryl - you have pretty much now signed on as a leader. He makes his stand against Alpha. Not a particularly smart move since he has no idea just how large this group might be. But a move did need to happen otherwise they would still be standing at the gates staring at one another. He played the hand he was dealt. Then he hears the baby. That plan is out the window - Daryl would never put a baby in harm's way.

Alpha is no one's fool. She purposefully brought that baby as insurance. Did she plan on the chain of events that would transpire? Probably not - BUT I bet she saw it as quite a happy accident. Two for one special - get to show the Hilltoppers their camp also includes children, families - her take on humanizing them. Then thanks to a crying infant and near by walkers she also gets her chance to show just how much control she wields over her people. Without a word that mother understands that she is to sacrifice her child. We can see a fleeting moment when the mother is horrified at what she expected to do, of hope that reprieve will be given. When it is not, when Alpha gives that shrug, the mother acquiesces. Have to say, I damn near lost my shit in that moment. Thank god I had not read any spoilers!

#6 Dnae, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Was it fair that Alpha gets to "save" her child yet is so willing to sacrifice the child of another? Thing is - Alpha just does not care. Her people are not anyone that she cares for. Protecting them is not her priority. They are simply a necessary component to living the life she has come to believe is the only true way to survive in this new world.

The corn field (or sorghum) scene with Connie as chilling. I did not breathe. I had a couple of jump scare moments. I so want to know the actor's take on what filming that scene was like.

We all knew Henry would leave. We all knew Daryl would leave in search of him. I was however surprised when they threw Connie into the mix. Is it tempting fate if I express that I really do not want her to die? One, I like the character. It would be interesting to see how they could develop a character who has an added hurdle (deafness) to overcome. And two because I do not need another round of Daryl blaming himself for someone's death.

My relationship with the forum right now is very Brokeback Mountain - I wish I could quit you guys but alas I come back. Might go to virtual Home Depot and find a way to seal my virtual dungeon a bit more securely (i.e. willpower not to read those on ignore LOL).

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

BAH HA HA.....it is not a review. It is simply my long ass drawn out thoughts on the episode. I am by no means versed in screenplay/writing to offer up a critique

9. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I’ll stick with review. :)

10. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

I think she cares about her group in the same way an alpha wolf would. Protect it but prioritize her young over the others. Sometimes a mother wolf will leave the young if she cant protect it from a predator. A harsh understanding that sometimes theres nothing you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk