Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

A bit of an mistake with this episode.

Discussion in 'Episode 207 - Pretty Much Dead Already' started by rdrr, Nov 28, 2011.

1. rdrr

rdrr New Member

I watched the last scene three times to make sure I heard it correct...

When Rick shoots Sophia, you can clearly hear the clink of a spent shell hitting the ground. The problem is, that Rick uses a revolver. :zombies_confused:

2. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

Cool! I didn't catch that. :)

Also, Sofia's head would have snapped back so far with the bullet impact she practically would have flipped, OR it would have blown most of her head completely off at that range with that gun. I was a little disappointed that she just dropped like a rag doll upon being shot BUT I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND WHY they didn't go "realistic" with this scene.

3. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

Wow - I just rewatched it, thinking I would come right back here and sasy "No, that sound was _______" or something, but I can't for the life of me come up with any reasonable explanation. They ****ed up, pure and simple. I seriously doubt they expect us to believe that someone other than Rick chose that particular moment to eject a spent shell from their gun. And I've never fired a handgun, but I think the empty shell gets ejected automatically right after it is fired, not the next time you pull the trigger.

4. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

I would have expected the back of her head to come off, but obviously, this was deemed too intense for TV. As for the other bit, the Mythbusters have covered the 'bullets make you fly backwards' thing to death - it doesn't work that way, because for all its killing power, a bullet hits a target with less force than you think - far less than a bat or pair of nunchucks, for example. And if you've never hit someone with a bat, I can tell you from experience that while it DOES inflict serious damage, it does NOT send people flying... Even if you smash someone it the face with a bat, they don't go flying backwards, they sort of groan and slump to the floor.

5. Loc

Loc Administrator
    Staff Member

Plus with a gun like that, you would think you would need two hands to hold it.

6. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

And then you get arrested.

7. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Ehh....it's just a tv series. Some foley guy with limited knowledge of weapons threw it in there to add to the scene. No biggie.

8. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

I don't think it was a criticism, he was just sharing an interesting observation. I like that kind of stuff, it just shows that perfection is impossible. Remember the walker in Atlanta in the first episode, drinking on camera?

9. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Never would have caught that. But come on! A more glaring error on this show, is that even though society started breaking down months ago; cars, bodies and debris litter every street; everyone is dead or hiding...most of the lawns are pretty neatly mowed. Did walkers learn how to use the Lawn-boy?

Honey do list:
    eat brains...check
    drool profusely... check
    poop pants... check
    mow lawn... check

10. bew1977

bew1977 Member

Wait... What? XD I missed that one

11. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

[​IMG]
    [video=youtube;j3dDmJvzjbw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3dDmJvzjbw[/video]

12. Wesker

Wesker Member

Watched the scene a few times. The sound you are referring to is the echo of the gunshot reverberating off of the barn There is no "click" of a shell hitting the ground. Spent shells don't make any sound on dirt and the revolver of course doesn't eject brass. No mistake.
    Also...people do not fly backwards when shot. The dropping of the body is actually more realistic and not like most TV shootings where people fly back several feet. Bullets do not expend that kind of kinetic energy. Which is why an assailant often takes several shots just to stop, even with a .357 magnum. Bullets can kill, but they aren't magic.

#12 Wesker, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  13. tomtdot

tomtdot New Member

It doesnt sound like an echo to me.... it sounds like a spent shell hitting hard concrete.

#13 tomtdot, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  14. BloodLustKitty80

lol @ concrete. Must be under the dirt. That Hershel spares no expense lol

15. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

It isn't far fetched. This kind of stuff happens all the time in movies. In Aliens, Vasquez is using a 'caseless'-ammo pulse rifle that spits out a constant stream of spent shell casings. In episode 1 of the Walking Dead Season 1, Rick told Leon Bassett to turn off the safety on a Glock 17, which has no safety. Bassett pushes the slide release switch (although the slide is already forward) and looks meek.

#15 fatbrett2, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  16. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

[video=youtube;6LU5-4XUnG8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LU5-4XUnG8[/video]

The tinkling sound of the shell happens after the gunshot, but BEFORE the flat, knock-like echo. Listen closer. The movie production people are computer nerds and 'artists' and they are the reason people constantly cock hammers that don't need cocking in movies. They don't know anything about guns, and they sometimes add a spent shell sound to a shot of a revolver firing.

The sequence of sounds is "BANG!-tinkle-Knock"

#16 fatbrett2, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  17. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

So according to that one woman director in the clip, they can't shoot kids on TV but yet Rick blew Sophia away point blank! (not that I have any problem with it...just curious as to how do the writers slip it past the censors?!?)...

18. Damrod

Damrod Member

people dont fly backwards when they are shot. Each reaction has an equal and opposite reaction, so Rick would have to fly back 3 feet. Besides the round went through her head I think. Someone just got excited and wanted extra effects.

19. Wesker

Wesker Member

Meh....not sure thats what the sound was.

20. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

Another Hollywood gun-goof - in the original Star Wars movies, you can occasionally see Blasters (ie laser guns) ejecting spent shell casings, because most of the Blasters were vintage (mostly WWII) guns painted black and decorated with plastic crap.

From IMFDB.com's Star Wars page:

[​IMG]

#20 fatbrett2, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011