Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

A lot of beer

Discussion in 'Episode 514 - Spend' started by Morgotha, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

So we're what? Two years into the ZA? We've seen Pete about 4 times, and three of those times he's been drinking, assumedly more than one drink at a time, in fact, he even has enough to offer some to Rick. If he drinks like that all the time, that's a LOT of alcohol. Is the ASZ located on top of a brewery or something? Rick's group while scavaging couldn't even find food, and this guy is still putting them down like Andy Capp. What's up with that?

2. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

As quickly as most of the population went under, I would think there would be lots of beer left if you found the right stores and warehouses. What kind of condition it would be in I do not know.

3. sam12six

sam12six Member

But people buy all the bread and milk before a storm, so there!! Squirm in the light of my logic...

4. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

That's why they are drinking beer and not eating bread and drinking milk.

5. sam12six

sam12six Member

Dammit!

You're a worthy adversary.

6. Morgotha

So the ASZ is making runs to keep Pete liquored up? Too bad they don't go after a pasta maker for Mrs. McLeod.

7. Echoorbiter

Echoorbiter New Member

Or they're brewing their own. It isn't that difficult to do.

8. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

His fee for office visit? I've said in another post that a pasta maker should not be hard to find. They said they have gone 50 miles out. Certainly there would be a kitchen supplies type of store or store with such a section. Pasta makers would not be top of the list for other scroungers. I imagine they havent made that big an effort. They probably like complaining about her complaining about it.

9. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

A couple trucks full of liquor would not be hard to savage over the course of a couple of years and they are set for quite some time. They probably ration it out to everyone except Pete because he has a skill they want so he gets what he wants.

10. Contaminated

Contaminated Member

Remember when they were on the road a few episodes ago... Abe was drinking booze because that's all the drink the could find, no water. so booze/beer is likely plentiful everywhere. Not like its something you grab in a crisis.

I noticed when Deana, Rick, Michonne, Maggie were sitting in her kitchen they each had a tall glass of water in front of them. Seems the only thing they are hurting for is a pasta maker and chocolate

11. sam12six

sam12six Member

That, or they know that if they do give it to her, she'll just start complaining incessantly about how she needs fresh scallops to go with her homemade pasta.

12. Morgotha

If it was me that lived there, I'd make finding alcohol for him an impossible task. I'd like a sober surgeon, thank you very much. And what's he going to do if you DON'T give it to him? Leave? Probably not. I agree they should try and keep him happy, but not intoxicated. I don't see how that's in anyone's best interests.

13. BarbDwyer

I agree but alcoholism is a bitch and

[​IMG]

14. Screaminleeman

It in fact is a natural occurrence.

Barley and MOST other grains can be outrageously malted to convert the starches to fermentable sugars. Corn/ honey/ fruits etc. are so fermentable even without advanced preparation.

Hops is a vine that grows easily throughout the nation even in cold areas. It is a bittering agent as well as a preservative.

Water, Hops & fermentable sugar combined. Yeast (naturally occurring living organisms) eat the fermentable sugars, pee Ethyl alcohol and fart carbon dioxide. That is brewing in a nutshell, I have personally brewed my own beer for 30 years!

FFS Breadcrumbs put in the syrup packs and resealed will give you a "shot" of alcohol in just two weeks! I don't want to admit how I know this!

15. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I've made home brewed beer. Yes, I loved my (then) partner that much. It's not that hard at all and you can produce some pretty good tasting stuff with quite a kick. You just need a barrel and you can decant your brew into existing bottles and slap a bottle cap on them.

Alcohol is one of the easiest things to make in a self-sustaining community, because, as [MENTION=70952]Screaminleeman[/MENTION] points out fermentation is a natural process that often occurs even without human assistance. Grab some fruit, throw in some sugar and yeast and voila, you've got alcohol.

16. BarbDwyer

They could always make dandylion wine. Those things must cover the earth by now.

17. Morgotha

He's offering Rick beer in bottles with nice labels on them, not homebrew in a mason jar. Pete's beer came from a truck.

18. Screaminleeman

Admittedly, it was far easier to produce high quality labels to apply to my homemade beer bottles after the invention of the PC, but if Alexandria has electricity, and a computer & printer it would be easy.

Please keep in mind the general rule for beer storage. Hops servers as a preservative as well as a bittering agent. Lighter shade beers with lower alcohol content but heavy hops will decline less rapidly than the normal bland domestic swill (Budweiser, Coors etc. . .).

The brew style India Pale Ale was developed in England due to normal ales not being able to age the long boat journey from England to India and going bad.

Similarly high gravity owrt (Large amount of fermentable sugar) can be "bottle conditioned" (that is bottled with live yeast) after secondary fermentation. This allows for far longer storage of beer )like many monasteries have brewed for a millenium).

If the "beer" that they are drinking was general ~ 4% light colored American lager that had been brewed before the ZA, it started seriously losing cohesion within the first six months.

Sunlight and heat very quickly adversely effect the quality of beer. Given the likelyhood of none of the "lager" remaining was maintained at lagering temperatures they are expired better that 18 months ago.

Vomit inducing liquid butterscotch pee by any other name.

I hope they snagged highly hopped craft beers or bock/ dopplebock/ barleywine style brews or they are all drinking NASHTINESS!

19. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

not only would that be a lot of beer if he was chugging at the rate he has been since Rick arrived, but wouldn't it be skunky by now? definitely a brewery in the town... has to be

20. Morgotha

Am I misremembering, or was he smoking on the porch too? Guy's got a lot of bad habits for a doctor.