Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

A lot of beer

Discussion in 'Episode 514 - Spend' started by Morgotha, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Screaminleeman

Nah, IT WAS A JOINT! IMO, it's cool. That is however why Rick has Pete in his sights. No pot heads on Sheriff Grimes watch!

Daryl is the Cigarette smoker of the group!

2. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Booze bothered me less than the fact he smoked cigarettes, thou he did seem to go through both in great quantity.

3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

"Hi, My name's Rick, I'm the new sheriff, what's your name?"

"My name's really Pete, but most people just call me ""Smokey, Drinkey, Doc Wife-Beater""

4. rustybag

rustybag Member

So I went back and watched the Pete scenes because I couldn't recall.

So let's forget about the comics for a second. When Rick met him he was smoking a cigarette (not drinking). At the party he took an empty glass from Jesse and said he'd get the refill. He said "I'm on it." We have no idea what was in the glass, neither of them looked the slightest bit inoxicated, but they cut to Rick & Co drinking alcohol and Daryl was drinking wine with the spaghetti dinner. Pete wasnt even drinking anything that we saw, it was Jesse's glass. Then he brought Rick a beer over to his place the next day. He was drinking that time, but again, he didn't seem the slightest bit intoxicated. So really, we saw him smoke one cigarette & take a couple of sips of one beer. Either we're expected to believe this guy has such a high tolerance for alcohol & he's such a lush just from that, or the writers have very artfully edited the scenes in such a way, when in actuality Pete hasn't done much at all.

#24 rustybag, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  5. Morgotha

Hmm... are you trying to dispel my carefully crafted delusion? ;)

6. Mariuch

Mariuch New Member

Really, he didn't seem intoxicated to you at Ricks house???? We need to be friends man, leaning in for the too close conversation and all. Not a lot of experience around drinkers??

7. rustybag

rustybag Member

LOL! I'm actually hoping the writers are trying to get us to make a snap judgement, just to mess with us later :)

8. gavuk

gavuk Member

With you sister

3 points

1) Doc Holiday was a dentist (and a gunfighter)
    2) Spirits last for hundreds of years (I'd stock up on decent liquor as soon as the ZA kicked off- i'm goingout in blaze (haze) of (gory)glory
    3) That doctor Pete offered Rick a beer that he's already spat in cause he knows Rick is looking to steal his wife

Lastly, i made all these 3 points up as i know nothing about dentistry,gunfighting, what the hell i'd do in a ZA or stealing a doctors wife but i did have brief liaison with a nurse once. LOL

9. Morgotha

A piece of Doc Holiday trivia: We visited his grave site while driving across colorado. Don't remember the exact town, but it's WAY up there, like 12k feet of elevation. You have to hike a bit (yippee) to get there, and it's an old cemetery. He was a pauper at the time of his death, so there wasn't a headstone placed, and they don't really know where in the cemetery he was buried, BUT, since he's famous they put up a headstone anyway. Kid Curry is buried there too, if my memory serves me.

10. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Well, the original beer that was in that bottle came from a truck, but if someone is home brewing beer here, then the natural, most familiar, place to put the new beer would be back in the beer bottles. And I've never brewed my own beer, as I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I have known people who have done it, and it really is quite easy. But to be honest, I don't think the writers even put any thought into the beer's origin. We'll may never know, although in the comics they
    so its possible that all these references to beer are a lead up to meeting someone who is brewing it.

11. Morgotha

I'm not disbelieving they can brew their own beer, but in doing so one would wash the bottles before filling them, hence washing off, or if they were too lazy to scrape them off, at least make "not new" looking the labels on them. These labels looked new, so I figure the beer must be commercially made. OTOH, it has been posited that Jessie was forced to use her art skills to hand draw each and every label of Peterbrau as a form of abuse, but I don't think that's been confirmed.

12. Neuropyramidal

Its very possible, but another thing is that commercially made beer would likely be mega-skunky by now, considering it would have probably spent a great deal of the ZA unrefrigerated. I think it would even by like a full year passed skunky lol. You'd think by this point they would only be drinking pre ZA wine and hard liguors, not beer. I don't know if the show is going to show them using a dishwasher, but in reality those solar panels would not allow it. So its not unreasonable to think they just rinsed out the inside of the bottle after the initial use. My guess is that if you asked Gimple, and he bothered to answer, he would say something like "its beer, who cares", or he'd make something up on the spot. So we are only left with the clues we create I guess. To me, the idea of 20 month old bottled beer, having almost certainly spent a large portion of its life at room temperature and even much hotter than room temp in the summers, would be dubious. I suppose the only way we'll know is if they introduce our brewer/brewery in the future, or if they explain how they got the beer.

13. Morgotha

Winos used to slash the hoses at gas stations to inhale the gasoline fumes and get high. I doubt if a substance abuser would turn up their nose at old beer. I don't think it's an issue the show's makers really care about, but you never know. Who knows what will turn out to be important later on?

14. rustybag

rustybag Member

Actually, I do...but anyways, his speech wasn't slurred & his gait was fine. Maybe if we saw him drink 10 beers we could think he had a high tolerance for alcohol, but he had one beer in his hand and took a sip. He could have leaned in too close & said "let's be friends, man" because he saw Rick kissing his wife and that was some sort of a "message" with his body language, or maybe he's a "close talker". Who knows. He actually kept a respectable distance from him for most of the conversation up until that point. He is also a lot taller than Rick so that could have made it look more intimidating than it really was. He shook his hand & left. Rick can't even be sure if he saw him kiss his wife of not.

#34 rustybag, Mar 20, 2015
  15. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

This man knows. :Grin:

I came in here to say that some beers like stouts and strong ales can actually benefit from the aging process, as long as they're properly cellared. But, yeah...what @Screaminleeman said.

#35 and138, Mar 20, 2015
  16. Neuropyramidal

Well, its much more than substance abusers drinking it, unless everyone at ASZ is a wino lol. Beer was being served in abundance at the party. I don't think they'd serve beer at a welcome party that would have gone skunky probably somewhere around the November before last, when they had other types of booze as well. And even Pete wouldn't be at that kind of desperate stage when there is also harder liquor around, which was seen at the party.

17. Neuropyramidal

Imagine drinking 20 month old beer that spent at least one Virginia summer not refrigerated. It would be like drinking anteater pee.

18. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

That's pretty much how Molson Canadian, Budweiser, etc., taste to me now. :p

Luckily, I prefer my beer either dark and thick enough to stand a spoon in it or with visible yeast sediment floating around in it, so I might be okay in the ZA if I find a house where a thoughtful person has stashed some Russian Gun Imperial Stout or La Fin du Monde ales in their basement. Probably easier to drink hard liquor, though.

It's 4:20 on Friday afternoon, and my thoughts have turned to consider booze.

19. Neuropyramidal

There are many worse turns your thoughts could have made. ;). I don't drink much beer, I'm a mixed drink guy. I like a good Manhattan. But when I do drink beer, I like either dark strong beers, or something like a Sam Adams fruity flavored beer.

20. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I do like fruity beers and hard ciders in the summer, though it has to get really hot out before I'll give up my sludge. ;) I'm not sure if I've ever tried a Manhattan. Gin & tonic is my go-to summer mixed drink. Now I'm thinking about summer...

I highly recommend this fruity beer, if you can get your hands on it (sorry for the giant photo, and please excuse the mess on the table):

[​IMG]