Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

A major travesty!

Discussion in 'Fear The Walking Dead Season 2' started by Whatatwist, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Whatatwist

Whatatwist New Member

Alicia was probably referring to the Black Plague when she was discussing the the song 'Ring around the Rosies,' but she refers to it as a virus when in reality, Yersinia Pestis is a bacterium! Also, the song has undetermined origin and probably doesn't refer to the Black Plague at all! Clearly Alicia needs to spend more time in school rather than pining over her boyfriend, maybe then she wouldn't be spreading lies!

2. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Both points you mention are controversial with experts, so a teenage girl picking one of the sides and saying it is fact is probably what one of her teachers taught her.

I had one teacher tell me Elisha Gray invented the telephone.

3. maxlvtrojan

maxlvtrojan Member

It's a well established misconception, and I thought it was consistent with Alicia's character. So, I didn't have a problem with it.

4. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

I had a bigger problem with Alisha's cell phone (if it was that)still playing music from the cloud after the entire west side of the U.S. ws destroyed. But maybe she had her earphone plugged into an "old--fashioned" MP3 player that wasn't cloud-based, so she actually owned the music.

5. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Not saying your wrong. What makes you think its coming from the cloud?

6. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

This is what you had a problem with?

7. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

Eh, it's 2016, you can now listen to music on clouds offline. Welcome!
    Seriously, if she downloaded the music to offline before shit happened she has access to it anytime.

8. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I think the point is that there is no Cloud anymore?
    The servers that are the cloud are likely dead and gone as is the Internet launched by Al Gore that provides our access to the Cloud.

See?

9. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

That - and I'm sorry for arguing but - really depends on what cloud you are using.
    Like I said, some let you save on your device. Which means it doesn't matter if there is a cloud or not. If it's on your device it's on your device. It is also a bit naive to assume she's only using a cloud. There's still plenty of people using the device's own music player for music they can't get on clouds. Assuming she used to listen through Spotify or Napster (I mean, it still is 2015/2016) that is. Like, seriously, there's plenty of roads to Rome.

10. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

No not really,there is but one cloud and it is down.
    The Music on your device is Local and is fine for sure but no music in any cloud access through servers and the Internet is alive here unless of course they just have not died yet somehow?

The Power Grid is down yet the Sat. Network must somehow still work so it is possible but you are still incorrect,the cloud is the Cloud isn't it?
    Which other Cloud are you thinking of?

I am amazed that this is what would bother anyone watching this show but the Technology is what to is and thats all it is.

11. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Music that you have stored on the cloud can be cashed and copied to your local hard drive/phone in limited quantities for offline usage. So you've "borrowed" it from the cloud and the borrowed copy is on your computer or cell phone and does NOT require internet signal at all. You would need signal to access the rest of the cloud you didn't copy/borrow. End of discussion.

In a separate case, you could just not be using a cloud at all and own everything. I don't use clouds and I have over 50 GB of music on my SD card which I play through my phone.

#11 Spidey, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  12. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Me too I do not store or use it in the Cloud and thus I am ready for the Z.A. and will have all of my Music when the cloud goes dead!

It is not complicated,if it is played from the device itself it is not from the cloud and if streamed from the Cloud…….

Long Live the Cloud!

13. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

I wouldn't know why this would bother anyone either, however I think we're talking a little differently.
    I'm not saying the cloud is still up (also, by other cloud I more likely mean different programs using this method, such as Dropbox and Spotify) I'm only saying there are several explanations why she would still have access to music.
    Spotify would be down, it only lets you "download" the song for offline modus. However if Spotify itself wouldn't be up anymore you don't have access to that; although I'm not sure if offline modus would still work for the songs you've downloaded offline. But let's say Dropbox, lets you download your files on the cloud onto your device directly.
    Other than that there still is iTunes etc. Seeing how popular iPhones are in the US she's most likely using an Apple device. Meaning that it's not unlikely she put music on her device itself. I didn't really care to look up the song she was playing but chances are it's not available on Spotify and thus it's not a stretch at all to say she might've been playing it from her device itself.

Really, it all doesn't matter a single thing. If the cloud bothers you I would rather be bothered by how she's keeping it alive for two weeks, seems a bit useless to use a generator or what not to save a freaking phone. However, all I'm saying is that it's really not all that weird she has available music.

Edit:

This was kind of my point but you explained it much better lol. I'm not a native speaker however. My bad.

But that is the point. It is from the cloud, it's just available without internet connection... These days you don't have to stream directly from the cloud anymore and yet you also don't have to give up all your phone's space to have access to it.

#13 Sachiko, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  14. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Satellites are solar powered so sat phone would still be working. Well as long as you can keep your phone charged.

The Cloud is just a general name for tech that resides on to someone else's servers.
    SaaS, PaaS, IaaS etc..... are all "cloud" tech

So with the world falling apart would there still be the internet?
    I would say the answer is maybe.

In 2003 eastern north america experienced a massive power outage and the internet still worked.

""As is true of the telephone system, the Internet and major Web sites have been engineered with redundancy and backup power systems to withstand power outages," said Eric Siegel, principal Internet analyst at Keynote. "It's not surprising that a power outage, no matter how widespread, didn't appreciably affect the Internet and the Web. As long as there isn't major physical damage, such as that caused by the July 2001 Baltimore tunnel fire, or major congestion, such as that caused by the 'SQL Slammer' worm in January 2003, the Internet and the Web have enough redundancy and resilience to withstand most problems.""

So in the show LA has been bombed so good luck getting a cell signal close to the coast. but they are around non bombed islands now.
    Remote Cell towers are mostly diesel powered. But there are Wind and Solar Powered ones.

Also Satellites do make up part of the internet back bone.

The original internet "ARPANET"
    "
    According to Stephen J. Lukasik, who as Deputy Director and Director of DARPA (1967–1974) was "the person who signed most of the checks for Arpanet's development":
    The goal was to exploit new computer technologies to meet the needs of military command and control against nuclear threats, achieve survivable control of US nuclear forces, and improve military tactical and management decision making.[SUP][[/SUP]"

#14 Wrecker, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  15. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Really?

Do you think the Satellites are just a standalone device requiring no network or connectivity to be functional?

The same holds true for Telephone and most other infrastructure services we rely on and take for granted in our daily routine.

I think for the purpose of this imaginary world where all civilization has gone belly up in 2 weeks time that it is safe to assume there is also no networking or internet working that has survived the event as well.
    Other infrastructure is shown to be down and the idea that any public infrastructure is remaining and operational is just stretching things too far to me although I fully understand how they are handy to have working for the sake of this story too.

So go ahead and make as much sense of it as you need to for arguments sake but try to keep in mind that You Can Not Make Sense of Things that Do Not Make Sense too.

A lot of this just does not make sense,which is some of the appeal for a lot of us too!?!?

16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;27GgP6BXR6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27GgP6BXR6A[/video]

17. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

The entire point was though, that you can access some files on "the Cloud" without internet connection whatsoever.

18. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

19. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Yes they are.
    One satellite over Asia provides all the sat phone communication in that area (ACeS).

"When you make a call, it’s transmitted from your phone to the nearest satellite (you often need line-of-sight connections with the satellites, which is why sat phones work best from outdoors), then beamed through your provider’s satellite constellation and back down to the person you’re trying to call. If you’re calling a non-satellite phone, the call is routed through an Earth station that patches it into the local telephone network."

So as long as its sat phone to sat phone your good even if everything on the surface of earth is scorched.

20. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

I think they are talking about syncing with the cloud.
    Like Jennifer Lawrence. Yes those pictures are on her phone but they are also synced with apple icloud.
    You could delete the photos from your phone to free up space. Then when you want to retrieve those photos in the future you can pull them down again from the icloud.