Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

A New Beginning Special Art

Discussion in 'Volume 22: A New Beginning' started by Tony Davis, May 20, 2014.

1. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

could be. i wonder what transformation.
    will she A) have retired from combat and gotten into a steady relationship with ezekiel, or B) have discovered a working lightsaber and that's why Jesus is rocking a katana.
    i'm hoping for B. i could definitely see that happening.

2. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

When I first read 127 the day it came out; in all of my fanboy excitement, I also thought the new Samurai Jesus was wielding Michonne's blade. This lead to rash speculation of her being dead; and Jesus choosing to honor her kindred warrior spirit by continuing to wield her blade after her demise. Then, I thought that maybe she just finally hung it up and passed the blade onto Jesus as a sign of respect and camaraderie--after all Michonne was always the most eager to lay down her sword and resume a more scholarly/domestic lifestyle.

But then I calmed down, and after a few re-read I realized that Jesus in fact, is not carrying Michonne katana. It is actually a broadsword with a more medieval/roman style to it.

[​IMG]

3. jwcoombs

I've been working on editing the promos without the text. Here's the first one; my main man Rick of course. LOL

Should have the others up in a few.

[​IMG]

4. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I hope you're right! Yes, no way would Kirkman have killed her off "behind the scenes." I need to calm down. It's the fact that no one even mentioned her in #127 that has me worried.

Yes, there's a good chance that she has retired from combat and has moved on to running the Kingdom with Ezekiel. Maybe they've even had a baby? It has been two years...

5. jwcoombs

You know what has me worried? Gabriel Stokes. No one has mentioned that dude since #115! Dude just vanished. What's that sneaky priest up to!?!?

6. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about him until recently. Where was he seen last, the Hilltop or Alexandria? Yeah, I still don't trust that guy...

(Maybe he's busy embalming people and kidnapping blond women. ;) )

7. MantisTaboganMD

Seeing Rick like this still bums me out -__-

8. Alec96

Alec96 Well-Known Member

Same here, still haven't gotten used to him looking like that, and don't really like it.

9. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Could there be some significance to these character portraits? Will these four characters be the characters who are focused on the most in this volume, perhaps? Or just a way to tease and hype.

10. jwcoombs

I think it's just general teasers/promotional propaganda to generate hype and interest; especially because of the new tone and direction of the book. A little clever advertising will help current fans to swallow the pill of change; and also draw new fans to what is a new "jumping on point" in the series for new readers.

That being said; regardless of promotional features; haven't these four characters always been the main focus in one way or another in almost every volume? LOL

11. jwcoombs

[MENTION=8530]MantisTaboganMD[/MENTION] [MENTION=9004]Alec96[/MENTION]

I love the new look. I immediately liked it the second Rick was revealed in 127. It's seems so hardened and stoic to me. Exhausted, but far from being spent. It's befitting of a leader of Rick's status. I think he looks more intimidating as well; in more ways than physical. He looks like he commands respect; I would follow this Rick before I would follow the younger Rick. Before he seemed arrogant and erratic; letting passion and emotion govern his mind and body. Now he looks humble, wise, and considerate. Made modest by the tragedy he's seen and endured.--But it seems I'm the only one who is this in love with the new Rick. I guess I just always knew this day was inevitable; and that in order to stay viable to the community and in control of his and Carl's destiny he would have to evolve into something greater and more complex than a legendary zombie fighter and ferocious General.

12. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Rick, Carl and Andrea, yes. Maggie? Not so much. She's only really become prominent in the last few volumes.

13. MantisTaboganMD

I don't "hate" it, per say, and it makes sense that at this point he would move on to less of a physical commanding position. And I agree he does look more intimidating. Just a glance at the guy and you can tell he's been through some shit, seen it all. But it still sucks to see him so busted physically. Two years after a broken leg and it looks like he still can't handle walking around too well. I've gotta say though, as far as aesthetics are concerned, the beard is bad ass. Hate the haircut, but dat beard doe. Also, I'm pretty sure that Sutton cooked up some other type of attachment for his hand so he isn't completely useless in combat.

I hope all of that made sense, I'm completely hungover and thinking hurts right now.

14. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

too bad im banned from roamers and lurkers lol.

15. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

i also like Ricks new look. Carls may take some warming up too, even tho hes my fav character. but i hate hipsters and hes looking quite hipster-esque, as many have said

16. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

I think Carl's just in "peace mode" right now. Like iron man without his suit, or when Bruce Wayne stopped being batman between Dark Knight and DKR. Soon some bad shit will happen and we'll have the hat back and hopefully his glasses will fall off and get trampled. ;) the necklace may or may not be okay. Depends. In this promo art they look like beads. In 127 they definitely don't look round. Beads are meh. A zombie tooth necklace is badass. Maybe Daryl can lend him some ears to go with it.