Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

A Return to Civility

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Biffster, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Lately I have experienced some very ugly conversations on this forum, and I have said some things I regret. My question is this: why do conversations get so heated so quickly on an Internet forum? What can we as members do to try to maintain a healthy decorum and allow for a healthy debate? I’d be interested in your thoughts about how to maintain civility in this day and age.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Honest question.
    What does this have to do with TWD? And why isn’t this thread in the off topic section?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

@Tony Davis would you please move this to the off topic section. I clicked on the thread thinking I was getting the episode title for 901 and possibly a sneak peak

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Biffster

I don’t know how to do that. What does the Trump thread have to do with the Walking Dead?

5. Biffster

That would make an interesting title, what with Negan locked away and all.

6. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

It’s placed in the Off Topic section. A place where you can chat about things other then TWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Biffster

Ah, I see, said the blind man.

8. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Mr Dorsey cited research by Cortico, a media analytics non-profit that grew out of the MIT media lab, and the lab’s social machines project, which came up with four ways of measuring the health of conversation: shared attention, shared reality, variety of opinion and receptivity.

https://www.ft.com/content/eb358400-1d76-11e8-aaca-4574d7dabfb6

Twitter is currently trying to figure out the same thing, Biffster. They said we all know what it feels like when we are in a toxic conversation and in the opposite, and they want to find a way to measure that, to help make conversing something that people can look forward to.

9. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

There's a lot to say about this, but I'm running short on time. I'll save more for later. For now, I'll just say this...

There's a lack of accountability when communicating on the internet. Therefore, people will tend to not be on their best behavior. That's not an excuse, that's just the way it is. Ideally we'd all like to think that we ALL should be above that, but that's not reality and we should just accept that for what it is.

There's also things to consider like individual personalities and expectations of ourselves and of others. I come here and I usually don't take myself too seriously. I usually don't take others too seriously. But other people don't have the same motives as I do, so they might be offended by my tact. They get even more offended by the fact that I don't care. lol

And that's an example of how discussions can get out of control. We also pick up on people's online habits. We make mental notes, observe, assess, etc. We may use that "intel" to call someone out if they say something we don't like. We do these things in real life situations all the time, but on the internet, it's more primal and raw.

We're also extremely handicapped on the internet. We don't have the benefit of seeing other people's body language, which can help us discern things like sarcasm, or to help gain access to how a person really feels about their point of view. All we have are words on a screen.

Crap. I gotta go! Bye.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Biffster

In many ways it feels like the art of conversation has become a lost art with the social media generation. “Othering” is very common, for example, where someone is purposely shunned by a a subgroup of two or more individuals. It’s nothing new, of course, if you’ve ever lived through junior high, but it’s a cancer to adult conversation. Thanks for the link, Lindigo.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Biffster

That’s some great food for thought, Jama. Thanks! I think what you say about the lack of accountability and the primal and rawness of online interactions is right on the money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I find your victim playing quite ironic considering how you seem to usually view people who state they have been victimized. ;)

#12 Neuropyramidal, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Biffster

I’m sorry, was that a sentence? I’m having some difficulty parsing it.

14. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

If you use the context around the typo, you can easily figure out what the word was supposed to be. I did. But I guess it’s much easier to deflect to a grammar error.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Neuropyramidal

Now, now, you're being uncivil! Tsk!

I was just pointing out to my mailman the irony of a person who spends weeks ad nauseum participating in the same behavior as he is condemning others for, combined with bringing his snark into other threads that weren't dedicated to the topic of the debate just for the purpose of angering others, and then after being told several times to keep the topic in the proper thread, he searches the forum for a 4 year old thread about the topic so he came continue the same old, same old in 2 threads instead of one.....

Then, when said person gets the response he is looking for, he starts a thread about civility as if he is the white knight of civil discourse in a room full of bulls.

If we are going to delve into analytical dissertations regarding "forum psychology" perhaps we should start with this type of behavior ;)

Does that usually work for you? We all engage in less than prim behavior here at times, Tom Cruise's lord knows that, but few of us play the victim afterwards. Now if you can admit your rather large part of the shit storm I watched unfold for several weeks, then fine. We can move forward. ;)

But in the interest of civility I will chalk it up to you having a bad few weeks and I will say that I know you can be a person of deep thought and civil discourse when you want to be, and when you're not on this kind of troll like rampage you've been on lately. So personally, I would like to extend the first olive branch and say "I very much hope we get the old Biffster back".

#15 Neuropyramidal, Aug 19, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Biffster

No I just want to make sure I’m clear. Don’t want to misquote someone. I thought it was a rather uncivil comment if I read it correctly.

17. Biffster

“Bringing his snark into other threads.” Hmmm.

For the record, I am the same person I’ve always been. Our views don’t have to be the same. On anything. But a return to civility IN ALL THREADS would go a long way to restoring good will around here. We all have off days, granted. But if we—you included—could refrain from poking the hornets’ nest, that would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Neuropyramidal

You helped put the hornets' nest in a paint shaker and throw it in a hot van with the forum by doing all the behavior I just mentioned above, there is not much left to poke lol. I just want to make sure that the irony is not lost here on you painting yourself as the picture of some civil moderator. Although there are few simpletons here, so I'm sure that irony was never misplaced. :)

I will make a suggestion: from my view of the debate, I think everything you all wanted to say has probably been said. Nothing new to add. Maybe ask Tony to just close it up, then no temptation for everyone to just add that ONE more thing that is gonna annoy someone else, and the next thing you know S9 of TWD has started and you're in the same state, with that thread eating up more of the feed than the TV show discussion. And then we can go back to our naked Frisbee golf.

But yes, clean slate time!! let's all go back to loving our beloved show, even if everyone seems to be dying and Bob Miller is nowhere to be seen.

And tonight, ladies and gentlemen....the penultimate episode of PREACHERRRRRR!!

#18 Neuropyramidal, Aug 19, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the civil way you word things means less than what you’re actually conveying with those words.

When you keep talking about “adult conversation” and “this social media generation” and talking about junior high you’re very transparent as having some kind of superiority complex over most of us here on the forum. Word it as nicely as you want, but that just makes your civility seem artificial and purposefully done to make the rest of us look like overreacting apes.

We all have different styles of arguing, that’s true. I was confused as hell when you dismissed my post as “preaching” early on in the Hardwick thread because I was just trying to get my point across as clearly as I could. So that part of what you said is true...we sometimes don’t have the person’s voice behind the post. But to act like you’re this voice of reason among a bunch of children is very wrong. I’ll say it again: you can say things and sound as civil as you want, but it’s the thinly veiled messages that really matter.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Biffster

Naked frisbee golf sounds fun. To be honest, I’m more interested in the aftershow tha. Either FTWD or TWD at this point. I think they both jumped the shark some time ago, though the cowboy John Dorie is interesting. Still like Preacher though. The parade of exploding Humperdoos was something else.