Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

A Return to Civility

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Biffster, Aug 18, 2018.

1. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Well more like quit with the baiting but you are not doing that so I can't go that route. Which means I guess no way to foster peace and this will continue. I would put you on ignore but I enjoy your posts elsewhere when you don't have this weird Not Biffster mask on....so here we are.

2. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Strange. So if I ask you to clarify your statement, like what you mean by "these subjects," you see that as baiting. You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

3. PepperAnn

It means exactly what I think it means. I just didn't directly answer your question because I know how you will take it.

So I changed my answer. My new answer is quit with the baiting and you will foster peace on the forum in regards to this.

bait
    bāt/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: baiting
    1. 1.
      deliberately annoy or taunt (someone).
      "the other boys reveled in baiting him about his love of literature"
      synonyms: taunt, tease, goad, pick on, torment, persecute, plague, harry, bother, harass, hound;
      informalneedle
      "he was baited at school"

4. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Interesting. Because I think that you're no different. Based on your recent interactions, I'd say that you've been drawn toward conflict or have had a desire to start conflict, despite your desire to maintain a certain level of civility.

Because yes, what you said rings true. Most, if not all people have an instinctual desire for conflict. Because conflict is a variation of competition, and competition is what all life forms engage in to ensure that they are able to survive. It's a natural reflex for us to be engaged in or want to observe conflict.

So.... how can we as civilized people, maintain civility despite our evolutionary programming? Well for starters, we can simply worry more about our own personal conduct, and worry less about the conduct of others.

And to be honest, I think that's where you've been struggling as of late. You've been far too concerned with the conduct of others. Conduct that you have absolutely no control over. So in the midst of your frustration with that, you've taken a "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" approach.

But then you begin to feel some measure of guilt over it, and try to revert back to a more "morally sound" and open-minded approach. Maybe it's giving people mixed messages. Or maybe, with all due respect, you're just making more of this than the rest of us care to for ourselves.

One final thought.... I could be very serious about what I said to you, or I could be talking out of my ass. Weigh both possibilities carefully before you respond. lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. Biffster

Well if asking you to clarify something you said qualifies as "deliberately annoying or taunting," I'm afraid we don't have much to talk about.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PepperAnn

OMG not THAT post!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Biffster

Thanks. That was a really well-considered response. You've given me something to think about. And for what it's worth, I'll go with "very serious" side. Though there's nothing wrong with good ass-talk now and again.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

But she didn't say that to you. She posted a definition of the word "Bait" which happens to use those terms. She used that word and its definition to help better explain to you, a certain dynamic that she feels is important for you to understand.

And in response, you have decided to split hairs and engage in semantics to try and turn the tables. At least that's what seems to be happening from my POV

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

btw, I didn't say that to make you feel like shit or anything. I'm simply speaking about the dynamic itself without trying to direct it at you in a "judgey" type of way. It's difficult though because you were kind of directly involved in some of the situations that you're wanting to discuss. However, I tried my best to help answer your questions without coming off as personally attacking you. I hope you understand that.

10. Biffster

I can only work with the words people provide. I wanted to find out which subjects she seems to consider taboo. This thread? A different thread? The Hardwick thread? I don't think it's fair to expect anyone to have to walk on eggshells around here, but if some subjects are definitely triggers, I'd like to know what they are. Otherwise, I'd have to conclude that some people are really just not that interested in getting along.

And that has nothing to do with baiting.

11. Biffster

Understood. Behind these Internet "personas" we out on are real people with real personalities and real emotions. Not everyone stays at the superficial level. I like to laugh and joke too but I also like to have a serious conversation now and again. I'd like to see this thread as a good place for people to have serious conversations in a civil way, keeping in mind some basin netiquette.

12. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Okay... Fair enough. I don't think anyone expects you to walk on eggshells though.

Maybe this just boils down to another misunderstanding. It sound like you're talking about broader, big picture concepts just for the sake of discussion. Whereas Pepper is coming from a point of view where these discussions are an extension of the hostile tone that took place in those other threads. Especially given the timing of when you decided to start this thread and have these discussions. It was right on the heels of when those threads escalated.

13. Biffster

And in reaction to those discussions I might add. I figure there's got to be a better way. I've had encouragement from lurkers too that feel I'm doing the right thing. Already I've seen some mature discussion happening in this thread in a more meta cognitive way than what I've seen a lot of in the last two months. What do they say? Sex, politics and religion are the most divisive topics to talk about. But damnit, they're interesting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Sports is somewhat of a distant 2nd on that list. For some, a close 2nd. And what is the common denominator for all four of those topics? Conflict/Competition. Even sex. That's why they are so exciting to discuss, and yet so volatile.

15. PepperAnn

I. Can't. Even.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Biffster

You could be on to something. Or you could be on something. Either way, it’s all good.

17. Biffster

You. Can’t. Even. What? Add. Something. Interesting. To. The. Conversation?

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. PepperAnn

You don’t even realize you just keep proving me right.

19. Biffster

Look, you’re not even trying to get along. I guess if that floats your boat, then so be it. Your tactics seem very passive aggressive to me. Maybe you don’t mean to be that way, but I’m not really all that interested in trying to guess what’s on your mind. If you have something to say, I wish you’d just say it.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  20. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Biff. This response is the epitome of what she and @Jen7 are trying to point out to you.

Maybe you are trying to be funny. I don't know.

But I read that, and I think you are intentionally throw her words back in her face, verbatim. Then you add a little extra dash of salt (insult) with a remark about how she's not adding anything interesting to the discussion.

In other words.... you can't make a call for civility and then pop off with responses like that. It makes you look disingenuous. You savvy?

• Winner Winner x 1