Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

A Star is Born

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dnae, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Normally I am not one to buy a ticket for a "drama" at the theater, especially not one that is filled to the brim with the angst of a love that I am assuming is destined to end tragically somehow...

**disclaimer** I have never seen any of the previous incarnations of this movie**

Now, I am not a fan of Lady GaGa's music. I am however intrigued to see her in this movie.

I like Bradly Cooper as an actor. And lets face it, he is also easy on the eyes

The trailer looks really good.

And then I watched this video of one of the songs from the movie. WOW....we all knew that she could sing but Bradley does an amazing job here. I also read somewhere that they collaborated on the songwriting duties - no denying, I think they have a hit on the horizon.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Saw this movie on Saturday.

1. Glad I had a surplus of tissues with me

2. The music is amazing (with the exception of one)

3. Bradly Cooper can come and sing to me in his Jackson Maine voice any day of the week

4. Speaking of Bradley Cooper....amazing does not even begin to describe his performance. I just thought I loved him in Silver Linings Playbook. He deserves not only the oscar for best actor, but I would venture to say he will at the very least get a nomination for best director. As a producer of the movie he could also find himself being nominated and possibly winning for best picture.

5. Lady GaGa - so much focus has been on her performance. I will say that she is really good in this movie. Do I think she was great? Hmmmm, that might be pushing it a bit. I do think however that no one else could have played this part with as much passion, love and committment as she did. And I also think that her performance level was elevated by the direction and support of Mr. Cooper. I do think that she will b nominated for an Oscar but I also believe that other actresses will deserve to win the statue

From what I understand the previous three movies were focused on the female POV story wise. With this one, at least the way I saw the story unfold, the focus of the story was more about Bradley/Jackson and his struggles.

It really is a beautiful love story....between so many different relationships in the movie, not just the romantic love story. Normally I will not seek out this type of movie to watch at the theater. Maybe on a whim I might watch this type of movie on Netflix or Amazon. BUT I would suggest not letting this one slip away. See it at the theater.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I had heard that all of the songs were sung live too, no re-recording in a studio later, which seems like it would be really hard to do, but judging by the video you posted worth the effort.

4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Yep, that was Lady GaGa's stipulation for signing on to do the movie. That all songs were to be sung live, no dubbing, no lip syncing.

They recorded live at Glastonbury Festival and I believe Coachella. Fun fact, it was Kris Kristoferson (sp??) set at Glastonbury that they were allowed to take a few moments before his set to film their song.

5. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to see this since they released the first trailer months ago - glad to hear it's good! Will check it out :)

6. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I HATE crying at the movie theater though! But I do want to see it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Chillllllls

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

This was my first cry in the movie (believe me, there were several cry moments LOL)

I have to say that every damn moment was earned in this movie. Nothing felt forced. Nothing felt inserted just to drive a point home. It was a movie whose moments, relationships, dialogue all felt organic. I swear it was as though you were watching these people's lives unfold while you watched through their living room window. It did not feel like a movie to me. And I do not think I have ever said that about a movie.

As I have had time to digest what I watched. To think back on it (and believe me, I find myself thinking about it A LOT) it becomes clear to me that it is absolutely worthy of being hailed as one of the best of the year.

So @tink just bring a box of tissues with you and see it at the theater.

@BatmansHooker I know you said you do not like musicals. Rest assured this is NOT a musical in the scope of what we think of when talking about a musical. The songs are not necessary to drive the narrative forward (we could know this simply through the dialogue). Though they (songs) do serve to give us another glimpse into these characters, and I would say as an emotional road map of where our characters are at a given moment. No one breaks out into song during a rainstorm ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Well damn...I need to see this ASAP!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Yeah she’s convincing me too.

11. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Apparently the dog will break my heart if I go see this movie.

NOT THE DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it is Bradley Cooper's real life dog who plays his dog in the movie.

12. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Okay. I am one of those people who will not see a movie if I know an animal dies.

So. I am going to set your mind at ease. The dog does not die. The dog does something that will break your heart, but at no time is the dog ever in danger, lost, stolen, killed, stepped on, tail yanked or yelled at. The dog is loved very much and is taken care of :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. PepperAnn

How does @tink even know there's a dog in the movie? Lol

14. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I googled for information and there were 3 stories listed about the dog and how he would break my heart. I didn't read how he would break my heart so I am glad Dnae set my mind at ease.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Ok, there's a dog and it's gonna make me cry but it doesn't die. I'm assuming I'm gonna cry of cuteness, so I definitely want to see it now.

Unfortunately it's not out here for another week, but by that time uni will be over for the year, so I'm absolutely going to see as many movies as I can with the extra free time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Haven't seen the film yet, but the trailer for this movie was so incredibly well done. Normally, this is the sort of film I'd wait until it left the theaters to see, but the trailer just drew me in and made me want to go see it.

18. PepperAnn

Fine. I’m going to see it in theater.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Yeah I think I have to as well, it looks really good and I could use some escapism right now.

*shakes fist at @Dnae *

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Same here. And honestly, this is the type of movie I normally only watch if nothing else is available in TV land....and that includes a trip down the youtube rabbit hole.

But I love Bradley Cooper. And as you said, that trailer was incredibly well done. Believe me, so is the movie itself.

I would say see this one in the theater.

• Like Like x 2