Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

A theory about Sophia

Discussion in 'Episode 208 - Nebraska' started by skittlesloli, Apr 20, 2013.

1. skittlesloli

skittlesloli Member

Okay, so I know these are all old episodes, but I'm re-watching the series to get another take with everything. I noticed something kind of cool, but I'm calling it a theory just in case its bologna.

This whole time Hershel and his family are all "those are people!" until Maggie almost gets killed and then the whole barn scene. During the barn scene everyone is sad and crying because they just had this ugly truth revealed to them about the "people" in the barn. When Sophia comes out, and Carol/Lori/Carl lose it, its not because shes going to be put down, but because they know she's gone for good (I know we know this but I'm getting there :p). I think I even remember Hershel looking at Carol as she was crying, which I think helped to solidify the truth for him.

It struck me as a nice sort of... (not the right word but) parallel of the two worlds; what do people see when they see a walker, especially a loved one. But there's more.

In this episode, everyone is discussing how to handle the bodies, "we buried our loved ones and burn the rest" as Andrea put it. This was all well and good for Hershel and his family, but Carol wasn't having any of it. "That's not Sophia, that's some... thing".
    My text went gray and I don't know why, but I'll continue anyway.

I thought it was kind of cool how they chose to show these two different way of grieving your turned loved ones, and I thought maybe they chose to do away with Sophia for this purpose. I'm not fully aware of the farm situation in the comics as far as Hershel being convinced that the walkers are not people, but the thought of using the family from Ricks group as a sort of "learning opportunity" for Hershel and his family intrigued me.

I probably didn't word all of this right, tried to get it out on my break. Anyway let me know what you think!

(Btw is it super annoying to people for threads like this to pop up in the forums for the old eps? Cause I got a lot of ideas since rewatching the show but I don't want to bug people)

2. page

page Well-Known Member

You're not bugging anyone. Great post.
    For me personally, its my favourite scene of the entire series. Some people say that it was obvious that Sophia was in the barn but I don't think that matters. There were so many layers to that ending. From Shane shooting the walker Hershel was guiding and yelling, I just shot her through the heart, why isn't she dying, all the way thought Rick walking up to Sophia and shooting her in the head without any hesitation. There is no doubt in his mind she has to die. Watching Hershel's reaction through the whole experience. Watching carols reaction. I think the writers and directors did a good job of letting us observe the situation through each characters eyes but also seein the reaction of the others through each characters point of view. There were lots of layers.

Nice post.

#2 page, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  3. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

I actually really like this idea! I had never really thought about the fact that Carol's grief might have had an affect on Hershel accepting reality but it makes sense.

And no one gets pissed off making new threads on old episodes. Not much else to do between seasons.

4. Sasha

Sasha Member

Absolutely no. First, Maggie kinda realized that they weren't people when the fat walker was cut in half with the rope, and that's before the attack, when she is more convinced of the fact that they aren't people. Then, Hershel realizes they're not people when shane gives three shoots to the walker (Hershel himself said that).

5. skittlesloli

skittlesloli Member

I agree with what you're saying, Maggie was the first to realize that Rick's group was telling the truth, and Shane shooting the walkers definitely helped prove the point.
    Until Sophia walks out of the barn, it looks like a massacre of Hershel's "people", despite his anger after this scene, it could've been much worse if Sophia hadn't been there (it might not have, too, who knows).
    I think it was Hershel (and his family) experiencing Rick and his group having to put down someone they love and care about that really helped drive it home, and maybe it showed Hershel that this wasn't just Shane trolling, that they understand what has to be done.

Thanks for the responses guys! I love having people to talk with about this besides my husband :D.

6. WarriorPrincess

WarriorPrincess Well-Known Member

Great idea, OP! I also like the fact that you're a new user and haven't posted nonsense!

This brings me to a question that has been in the back of my mind for awhile now. When Rick and Herschel are having the discussion about the walker "disease" after Rick and co. arrive at the farm, Herschel tells Rick he doesn't believe him when he says there is no cure. He compares what's happening to AIDS, which in fact has no cure. Was there some meaning to this? I would think that if he thought there was a cure, he'd have used a different disease for comparison.

7. ingénue belle

ingénue belle Well-Known Member

I'm new here too and I like going thru these older posts....and haven't replied as I figure 'well, this is old news' but you never know when you're gonna get a new perspective.

And this is an example of that cuz the whole thing with Herschel making that comparison and there not being a cure for AIDS totally got by me! So, I'm wondering about the same thing.

I agree with an above post in that this is my fav TWD moment as well. Yes, it was obvious Sophia was in the barn but still, it had an amazing impact on me. Besides it being extremely sad, it showed that through all of Shane's bravado and ranting about him being better than Rick on doing what had to be done...it was Rick who stepped up and took the shot while Shane stood there looking down. Great moment in the series.

8. WarriorPrincess

Rick shooting Sophia showed that he is stronger than Shane. He may have gotten a little crazy, but he made decisions in the group that no one else wanted to make. I'm not sure if anyone else could have made those decisions.

The scene in the bar, when Herschel is talking about the look on Rick's face... It was that look on Rick's face after Sophia came out of the barn that made Herschel realize hope was, as he put it, a sham.

9. THIMCA

THIMCA Member

That's my favorite scene of the entire show, great acting, great script and extremely gripping.

10. WrongAboutCarl

WrongAboutCarl Active Member

My second favorite scene and death of the series. I know a lot of people claim it was obvious she was in there, but not to me. I had no clue until her foot hit the doorway, and then I was just like nononononono! I really believed they were leading up to everyone else giving up and then Daryl finding and saving her.
    Very powerful and important for all the reasons mentioned here. Revelation of Sophia. The difference between the "toughness" of the two groups. Herschel and his family realizing it was not just some disease. And Rick proving he was stronger than Shane. Shane could talk tough and make cold hearted decisions, but when it came time to do something that absolutely needed to be done and no one else could or wanted to, Rick stepped up and handled it. So much development happened for so many characters in that one scene.

11. skittlesloli

skittlesloli Member

I had to go check out the episode you were mentioning just to hear for myself. I forgot about Hershel saying that!
    That would be kind of cool if this universe did have a cure for AIDS; or maybe he was implying how far we've come as far as medications and controlling the virus as long as possible, since we understand it more there's less fear surrounding those who have it.

Good thought!

12. WarriorPrincess

The things with AIDS, is that there is treatment for it. People with the AIDS virus today live a lot longer than when the virus first came to be. With the walker disease, like Rick said, it's different. How would you treat something that turns you into... well, the walking dead? As I mentioned before, Herschel learned during the barn shootout that he had been wrong. I felt sorry for him during the bar scene. I gotta say, the actors on TWD are brilliant. Herschel's realization about what's really going on was beautifully played out by Scott Wilson.

13. skittlesloli

skittlesloli Member

That's what I meant by the medications we have for controlling the virus, but we still have no cure (none that's widely available at least).
    And I was happy to see Hershel accept the truth now that he had seen it with his own eyes instead of stubbornly rejecting it.
    I love Scott Wilson, especially with the beard. :D

14. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

When Rick walked up to sophia and shot her.......The way I saw it was, Rick felt guilty for losing her in the woods, so he felt it was his responsibility to pay the price and take responsibility for shooting her. It did not have anything to do with Rick being stronger then Shane.. Rick was motivated by guilt.

15. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

Nice post man.
    Nobody will say you are bugging somebody, it's always nice to hear peoples thoughts and ideas about episodes and scenes.

16. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Agreed. It was Rick's responsibility.

The OP is an interesting idea and certainly plausible, but I think it was a little more cut and dry than that. Hershel was in denial in a sense. He refused to believe Rick's warning that they're dead and that's that, but at the same time he had also been secluded on the farm through the whole ordeal so didn't have any specific experience to show that it wasn't just a sickness.

Hershel started to accept it when Shane put three or four rounds into the walker's chest and it kept coming. But as the OP suggests, it's certainly possible that the reveal of Sophia had something to so with it as well. Rick's group had been saying all along that they're dead and seeing Carol's reaction could've done more to show where they were coming from.

The funny thing is that Hershel learned later in the season that the living people are actually the sick ones. Well, not really sick with a virus like they foolishly labeled it in the show, but just destined to become walkers no matter what. I keep hoping this will eventually lead into Rick's revelation from the comic of "we ARE the walking dead!!".

It's also funny to note that Sophia was killed off because the actress had hit puberty and was maturing too fast....

17. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, kind of like Walt from Lost who suddenly was like 6 feet tall in a couple of weeks...