Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Affair from a Call Log?

Discussion in 'Episode 1022 - Here's Negan' started by PepperAnn, Apr 5, 2021.

1. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I need to watch it again, but I was confused on how Lucille figured out Negan was having an affair with her best friend when she was just someone on her call log. I mean...she had just called her. ????

2. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

No matter how Dexter you are at hiding the evidence a woman's intuition will always out a cheater.

3. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

True. However the episode should have mentioned she was suspicious about him cheating instead of just making it look like the call log was the only indication she had.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Should have found an old love letter telegraph with some sarcastic humor, a barbed wire.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Little pig little pigSTOP How I adore theeSTOP Let me count the waysSTOP Eeny meany mynie moeSTOP..........

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I think Lucille asked Negan to give her a ride from the doctor's office but Negan said he had a meeting with the probation officer on that day. But then, Lucille called the probation officer who told her that Negan was not there and the meeting was 2 weeks away. So, Lucille knew Negan lied and was somewhere else.
    Secondly, the screen was very fast but I think the call log showed the name of Negan (outgoing call) was listed right below Janice's (incoming call). So, this might mean that Janice called Negan and Negan returned her call (immediately?). Maybe this is enough hint for something going on between them?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. lastcat3

That's probably what the show wanted you to believe. However two people that get jealous of each other that easily probably shouldn't be married to begin with (after all Lucille wouldn't have had any proof at all of an affair just from that). And that type of jealousy definitely isn't a good representation of the type of relationship the writers wanted the audience to believe these two characters had. It was just substandard writing.

8. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I’m going to assume she knew her husband for her mind to go there. I would have wondered what my husband would have considered so important that he answered a call from this woman immediately and then wormed his way out of accompanying me to a very important medical diagnostic test and why would he lie about where he was? Red flags. What else would they be doing to elicit all the deception?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. lastcat3

They should have thrown in just one line where she was questioning his faithfulness prior to the event happening. Instead of doing that though they instead seemed to focus on Negan just being a big man child. And acting like a big kid doesn't mean someone is going to be a cheater.

Her getting jealous of him simply by looking at a call log (of one of her own friends as I believe the affair lady was the one she was talking on the phone with) makes her kind of look like someone who doesn't want their partner to have any opposite sex friends.

It just simply should have been written better. I get what they were implying but forcing viewers to merely make implications over important details like that isn't good storytelling.

10. lastcat3

With the call log situation I think it would have been better for Negan to have an affair with someone she didn't know. Instead of it being someone she did know and who she herself was friends with.

11. purriwinkle

i understand you and perhaps others would have liked it put out there more forcibly but where would they have inserted this line in the scenes we were given?

As I stated, it was the lie, the untruthfulness of the excuse of where he was going to be instead of going with his wife to the doctors appt. that made Lucille and supossedly the audience as well, wonder where was he then? Finding the record of messages between her husband and her friend made her put two and two together. We didn’t actually get confirmation of the infidelity until Lucille later told Negan and he confirmed it with surprise that she knew.

It was the most succinct way for the writers to get the message across that he had other faults besides beating people up, and acting like a loser at home, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. lastcat3

Instead of showing scenes where Negan was sitting at home playing video games they should have developed him as more of a ladies man who liked to flirt around and the ladies enjoyed getting attention from. A guy sitting at home playing video games doesn't really fit the mold of someone who is going to be real popular with the ladies. Even in that conversation Lucille had on the phone they really developed him as someone the girls wouldn't be attracted to.

13. purriwinkle

i suppose they could have rewritten the script but was he really a player? His life at this point was in the crapper. Buying a leather “Happy Days” coat he couldn’t afford, wasting his time playing video games showed he continued to make poor choices after losing a job he supposedly loved due to committing assault and battery.

I admit he’s attractive and capable of a certain amount of charm but we don’t have any evidence that he ran around prior to this affair the same way we can’t say he had a proclivity to hitting other people before the juke box incident. I think the “friend” was low hanging fruit he was using as a salve to medicate his feelings because of his rotten circumstances. Wife was nagging him but not Janine.

I agree that we could have used more. @Stealth’s suggestion that we needed two back story episodes to really get a handle on this character would have been more satisfactory in answering all these questions.

• Like Like x 1
  14. lastcat3

There definitely should have been another episode to explain all this. And there was no predetermined story they had to follow for pre apocalypse Negan so they could have made him a player if they wanted to. Infact it probably would have flowed better with the person Negan would eventually become. It almost seemed like the person/people that wrote this episode equated a video game playing loser as someone who would run around on his wife. When in fact many times when the wife is in a relationship with someone like that she is often the one who has an affair.

Then again we are talking about a universe where people bow before a pervert swinging his bat around so I guess reality doesn't really apply when we are talking about this character.

15. purriwinkle

Oh, just a follow up from another site, Walking Dead Fandom(?) synopsis of Lucille and the phone situation:

The next day, Lucille's MRI reveals that she has cancer and she is unable to reach either Negan or her best friend Janine. Lucille calls Negan's probation officer, only to discover that Negan isn't supposed to see him for two more weeks. Checking her call log and seeing that both Negan and Janine are out of touch at the same time, Lucille realizes that her husband is having an affair with her best friend.

16. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

That's the best explanation yet but it's still pretty out there to put those particular two's together.

17. purriwinkle

There’s one other little tidbit to consider. Early on we hear Lucille talking on the phone with Janine. Janine is bad mouthing Negan and Lucille says, “I know...it feels unfair to give up on him.” Think about that for a moment. How long had Janine been encouraging Lucille to leave her husband? Then combined with what Lu saw on the phone made her go AHA and then probably, I’ll kill that bastard to herself, lol, hence the pistol in her hand when he got home. I mean some women have that intuitive edge cause they know the people involved so well. At least that’s how I took it. Turns out she was right even if it was only a hunch at the time.

#17 purriwinkle, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. lastcat3

How much people are having to try to figure out regarding that scene just shows how poorly it was planned out. This wasn't meant to be a mystery situation. Flashback scenes are supposed to give you answers. Especially flashback scenes that happen shortly before the show ends.

19. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I’m not at all bothered by any of the mechanics of how she put two and two together. It made sense to me.

Negan had anger management issues, mostly under control. At the bar he lost his cool and beat up an idiot. Severe consequences followed, he lost his job, he couldn’t get another one, he lost his self esteem, he spiralled. Playing video games as a form of escape. Some gambling. Losing money. Losing his wife’s respect. The constant nagging. Wife’s “friend” comforting him and turning into an affair. Further spiralling.
    Lucille figuring things out from both being unavailable at her moment of greatest need. Some preexisting hint of suspicion intensifying. She went out to look for more proof. Got her proof. Last minute she decided not to tell him she knew. She tells him about the cancer instead. This activated Negan’s better side and he called off the affair and became model husband as the world collapsed around them.

A good story, written and acted very well in my opinion.

#19 BlackBird, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less how she found out. The important thing was that he was having an affair and then was so remorseful about it.

• Agree Agree x 1