Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Agree or Disagree: Corporal Punishment in Schools

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Lonesome Lurker, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Lonesome Lurker

Lonesome Lurker Active Member

What side are you on? Leave some reasoning.

2. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I disagree. If corporal punishment is going to be used it should be done by the parent. If I had a child and an adult hit them there would be a problem.

3. DalekSec

DalekSec Active Member

I never once hit any of my children and, I promise you, would rip the arm off of any who tried.

School is supposed to be a place of learning, reason and safety. Hitting, teaches nothing other than the one doing the hitting has run out of brain power to handle things in any other manner.

4. ussmerrilldd976

I don't have kids but it just doesn't seem right for teachers to hit kids but something needs to be done because the kids and parents seem to have more power over the teachers these days.

5. Lonesome Lurker

Lonesome Lurker Active Member

I agree with all of the above.

6. Writer

Writer Member

No. As a parent, no one gets to touch my child regardless of how bad or good she is in class. I can understand how frustrated teachers might be, but hitting a student is never the answer. All it equates is fear, and that is not productive to a growing child.

Still, something needs to be done. There is a power struggle between teachers and children|parents. In our county, our teachers are paid very little and are pushed into retirement when they reach a certain age. For example, a 6th grade teacher was bumped down to the preschool class and put in her resignation shortly after. We pay them little for a thankless job. I appreciate all teachers and professors. Truly, they are bringing up the leaders of tomorrow.

There are always alternatives to coperal punishment, however. Suspension is one that comes to my mind right now. Then, if the student is the problem, removal from the school. Either forced to home school or transfer to another one. I find that most students tend to play off of their friends. Remove said influence, then the student(s) should calm down. I remember my grand mother telling me that she used to get a ruler smacked across the knuckles. I ask you, what did that solve? Fear and the attempt to hide bad behavior so not to get punished.

7. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Hitting a kid teaches them nothing. It only invokes fear in the kid. When you are scared, you won't learn properly. Why should a teacher or principal have the right to decide what a child will become?

8. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Disagree..

The school my kids go to has a full time clinical child psychologist on staff to mediate problems..

9. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I'd rather they call me to handle it. Nobody else will pop my kid, but I'm old school. I'll teach her/him a lesson they won't forget. It straightened me up as a kid, I'll put it that way....

10. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

As a teacher I am also against it. I have a relationship with that child that would be greatly depreciated by putting my hands on him/her. That is not my place at all.

I don't want (or have) kids, but I also think spanking/hitting your own child is ineffective. I can get 22 kids to do what I want without laying a hand on any of them.

11. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Isnt this question almost akin to asking: Agree or Disagree: Rape.

12. Neuropyramidal

I wonder how specific the form is. "All punishment will be aimed at leaving no visible bruises, but if a bruise does arise, we will limit all wounds to less than one inch diameter". I mean really, how do they define what they can do?

13. rabscuttle1

They have corporal punishment in the schools here where I live. But first the parents have to sign a form saying it's okay. A little over half the parents signed the form.

14. Caryl

Caryl Member

I don't even think parents should hit their children. I sure as hell don't agree that teachers should.

15. Neuropyramidal

Interesting policy, considering you can't tell if a bruise will show up until after the swats are done. :p

16. Caryl

Caryl Member

Where do you live? The Middle Ages?

17. rabscuttle1

Three swats with a paddle as long as no long lasting bruises are left behind. Mild welts and redness are okay. It was like that when I was a kid but they got rid of it when I was in High School. They decided to bring it back.

18. rabscuttle1

Close. Arkansas.

19. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

lol

20. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

The thing with spanking kids - the kids that 'learn' from a swat are the one's that would learn just as quickly (and better lessons) from something much more rational. The kids that people mostly want to spank - the oppositional, impulsive, mouthy children that push our buttons and test our patience - you could leave marks on their ass every day and it isn't going to work. So the risk is not the one sweet kid that gets a rare swat - even though that kid cries and looks like the sky fell. That kid isn't going to suffer. The kid that suffers is the one that gets his ass beat every week with a spark in his eye and smirk on his face. He gets whacked in the hopes that something magical is going to happen I guess. People like to say they are pushing our buttons because they aren't spanked enough - but mostly it is the other way around. That kid is the one at risk of developing some very skewed and dysfunctional coping skills, self perceptions, and ideas on how to handle other people.

And to answer the question - no I do not agree with corporal punishment. Discipline I'm a big fan of. Corporal punishment - not so much.