Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Alexandria vs the Prison

Discussion in 'Episode 605 - Now' started by Zombie_Rhino, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

Anyone else here feel like the Prison was a much better place to be than Alexandria? With a horde at the gate, all they can do is sit there and watch them and hope they don't break down the wall. At the prison, they were able to kill them through the fence and start to dwindle down the amount of walkers. If things went south, retreating back to the prison was always an option and they had plenty of firepower and good vantage points to fend off most threats - except maybe a tank. A tank would rip right through Alexandria all the same as it did the prison, but at least they could see it coming at the prison.

Which place do you feel was safer? Where would you choose to live and why?

2. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

The Prison is far more secure and tactically advantageous against threats.

3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Alexandria any day. How many walkers did it take to collapse the fence at the prison? 100? Apparently there are 5000 at Alexandria, and it's still standing (well, the last scene focusing on the wall where the truck hit implies that the fence might buckle there, but overall the walls at Alexandria seem much more secure, and they also stop walkers going by from seeing in. The Alexanrianites can always use a ladder on the inside and stab down with a spear of some type (like a sharpened piece of rebar even) and kill the ones outside too.

4. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

I think the prison with upgrades would be far better than Alexandria. I'd make the inner fences stronger, at least, so that you still have a back-up if one fence falls.

5. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

As far as all the amenities, the ASZ can't be beat. From a defensive standpoint though, the prison was better. I never thought the tank thing was that big of a deal, either. The prison was a massive facility. How many buildings could it have taken down with the remainder of the people in the tank surviving?

Of course, if the prison were better prepared, they really shouldn't have had much problem with the other group. If they had been assigned posts, gone to them, and then started picking them off, the tank would have been the only thing left around. They had about 20 people in the Governor's assault group. They had to make it across the field. If they made it into the prison compound, they would have to deal with other defensive posts. The tank wouldn't be able to protect them all.

6. mfinley

mfinley Member

Prison had concrete walls and steel doors, that's pretty much a huge upgrade to wooden houses.

The 'walls' of the prison could easily have been upgraded over time, so many simple ways to stop walkers from getting to the fence so you can work on trenches, pits and building a strong wall, Morgan has demonstrated how simple it is just by sticking sharp sticks in the ground. In TWD they never have any trouble finding gasoline that should be spoiled by now, and cars with batteries still charged 3 years later, if they can do that they can grab some loaders, bull dozers and excavators and build one hell of a walker defense around the prison in no time. I never bought into the whole walker danger at the prison, it was so manufactured and overly dramatic, defied logic.

7. Zombie_Rhino

so, it seems like most people are choosing the prison. that means forgoing the normalcy of nice houses and things that Alexandria provides, but at the added benefit of the safety of prison walls. At first, that was my thought as well - but I think that there is a way that you could have the best of both worlds. Obviously, you would want the living situation in Alexandria, so lets figure out how we can improve it.

- build the walls differently so that the beams were on the inside, not the outside. This would prevent people from basically walking up them and invading your town

- dig a trench/moat around the perimeter of your town so that walkers and other uninviteds are slowed down or stopped at all but one access point - the bridge/gate

- put pointy spears in the ground around the entire perimeter as Morgan did so that anything getting across the moat may get stuck in the spears

- level all houses/trees around the area so that you have a lot of visibility to see who is coming toward you

can anyone else think of anything that could make Alexandria more secure or provide more peace of mind like the prison does?

8. Walker Caravan

I'd take the Prison too. Even in the best of times people can randomly die and turn. Rather have that happen in a place you can section off than an open area. Like when that sickness happened in the prison, you knew where the problem was and could contain it in a cell block. Alexandria they'd wind up walking off to who knows where and then you get surprise attacks like that deadwolf on D-girl. Just build up slowly around the prison I say. Stupid Gov.

9. Stuartino

Stuartino Member

What the ASZ needs is one of those Disney World crazy queues that zig zag back and forth, funnelling them to a killing zone.

10. Zombie_Rhino

I'm not sure what Disney World you went to, but mine didn't have a kill zone.

11. Stuartino

Stuartino Member

Florida, it killed me waiting in that queue.

12. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

Clearly you've never played the Journey to Splash Mountain map for Left 4 Dead 2. Survivors hear rumors that a CEDA safe zone is set up at Disneyland in California, and they arrive to find it overrun. In escaping to their evacuation point they have to go through Adventureland, The Haunted Mansion, and even take a ride on Splash Mountain. It's an awesome map. One of the best addon maps for the game, and the designer seriously took the time to be faithful to the actual design of Disneyland. The layout is so spoton that it's almost eerie at times.

Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz78JIHqeCA

Personally, I'd take the prison. It always seemed a little silly to me that they even evacuated the prison. They defeated the Governor. Yes, the tank blew some holes in it, but that was a pretty big prison complex. You can't seriously tell me that they couldn't have pushed back to a deeper part of the prison and sealed it off, then slowly worked their way back out.

Putting aside the whole storyline with the Governor though, the prison is a better defensible position, but it needed some serious perimeter fortifications. The walls at ASZ have a huge advantage over the prison fences in that they can literally stop a semi-truck. The prison fences aren't so strong.

My first order of business would be finding some type of tube frame braces for both the inner and outer walls. Those fences were designed to keep 1-3 prison inmates from getting out...not stopping hundreds of people (or walkers) from getting through just by pushing against the fence. Installing additional bracing at each of the fence posts would have added a lot of strength.

Second order of business would be to dig a trench around the perimeter. With the proper equipment, this wouldn't be too terribly difficult. A trench of about 10-15 feet deep with sheer walls on either side and spikes on the bottom would do a lot. Walkers fall in, and don't get back out. Clearing the trenches would be another chore to take on, but there'd be a hell of a lot less fence clearing with a trench like this in place. To further fortify this, and additional row of spears sort of like Morgan uses would be put in place on both the outside of the trench, and between the trench and the fence.

This hasn't yet addressed the human problem though, and I'm about to head to class...so I may address that part later.

13. Charmander

Charmander Member

I think I'd choose to stay in the prison if I had to, but one of its biggest problems was that it was just too big. (Mostly talking about the inside)

14. Zombie_Rhino

i had no idea about that map in L4D. sounds pretty sweet.
    i like your ideas about fortifying the prison. as for clearing the trenches, perhaps its not as bad as you think. as long as they are stuck in there, maybe u can just leave them in there and burn them. they will essentially be creating their own pile of dead bodies for you to burn.

15. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

Here's a link to a download source for Journey to Splash Mountain. Even putting aside the novelty and the fun factor of this map, it is legitimately one of the best maps ever made for L4D2. It can be a truly challenging map. The finale is a bit of a spin on the generic "grab a bunch of gas cans" finale, but they way it's done makes it a lot more interesting. If you check it out, I strongly recommend taking the time to thoroughly explore the whole map. There are hidden surprises all over the place.

http://www.gamemaps.com/details/6084

I did consider the possibility of just burning the bodies in the trenches, but I think over time that could become a problem. Even after they're burned they're still going to leave some ashes and unburnt remains of some kind. Given enough time, those ashes would keep building up, which means you'd have to dig the trench back out over time. Not to mention that it'd start to stink like crazy after a while.

16. HurricaneKid

HurricaneKid Member

You guys are crazy. Gimme the the million dollar McMansions with running water, electricity, food, even alcohol, surrounded by the so far impenetrable steel walls over the enormous prison with tons of dark corners and zombie water.

17. mfinley

mfinley Member

Go to the hardware store and make some rake axes and you're pretty well set.
    rakeaxe2.jpg

18. shhh its me

shhh its me Member

The prison feel because 14-20 people died 48 hours before the Gov got there and 20 ish people where bed ridden with the flu and no one able body had slept . Secondly, the Governor was nuts. The one thing they did not plan for was someone willing to try to take the prison without trying to preserve the structural integrity of the prison , heck even the wolves left the walls up.

19. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

Alexandria does have the advantage of comfort, but if I was taking the prison I'd be doing a lot to make it more comfortable. I'd be making a trip to the nearest furniture store to get some nice beds and tables and things like that.

The advantage of the prison is that you have many levels of security. The outer fence, the inner fence, the courtyard fence, the door to get in, the inner gate, the door to the wing that you're in, and then the cell block door. You can fall back as you need to and have a very solid door between you and the enemy.

20. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

[video=youtube;tbd4t-ua-WQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbd4t-ua-WQ[/video]

I think the Prison was more secure against humans but Alexandria is more secure against walkers.

#20 Spidey, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015