Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Am I the only one who dislikes Glenn?

Discussion in 'Episode 403 - Isolation' started by wolffe, Oct 29, 2013.

1. ApocalypseGal

ApocalypseGal Member

I like Glenn alright, though i do miss the Glenn we saw in season 1 when he saved Rick.

2. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

The show is about human relationships first and foremost. I don't think the show actually having a human relationship is a bad thing. Both of their characters have a core family value and this just strengthens it imo. I love the dynamic it adds. Everyone will just say this about the next couple or three too. IT certainly hasn't effected show pacing at all for me. That two seconds they talk and fleshed out their thoughts really killed the series..

#22 legendx66, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  3. Clemonsly

Clemonsly Member

Glenn and Maggie always were my least favourite characters of show.

4. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Couple of points on Glenn:

1. I don't have a problem with his character. If everyone responded in the same way to the ZA then the show would be be unrealistic and tedious. People don't all react the same way to the same set of circumstances. Not everyone is going to be a Rick or Michonne.

2. I believe part of the problem that people have with Glenn is that his character was first introduced as the geeky, awkward guy and then that changes a bit when he get a girlfriend. I think its his evolution more than the relationship really.

5. jxhide

jxhide Member

I only like Glenn from Season 1 and 2. He used to seem smart in some of the planning and decision making from the first 2 seasons. He turned so emo in Season 3. At least now he's sick. Maybe that'll kick his ass into gear.

6. tink

tink Well-Known Member

The trouble with Glenn and Maggie now is that they basically give the same performance week after week, with different props.

7. Monty70

Monty70 Member

OK sparky, let me spell it out for you. I love zombies, but it's not the reason I watch TWD. The show is great because it examines the toll that the post apocalyptic world takes on its characters. (another reason is the show's realism - who of us under these circumstances wouldn't try to make some kind of meaningful human connection with the little time they had left in the world) TWD poses some rather weighty questions about the human ability to endure under such hardships. Glenn and Maggie's relationship represents the very best of what people are capable of under any circumstances, let alone the end of the world. Of all the human emotions, love is one of the most powerful, and has a place on a show that is ultimately a character study.

In all honesty, the writer's are not spending much time on the relationship anyway. You should try to get over it.

#27 Monty70, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  8. Voncroy

Voncroy Member

I actually liked Gleen because he was a geek and imature and yet he was still bad ass enough to survive in a ZA.

Now he gets laid, true, but he became very uninteresting to me... Oh well... I consider him to be the worst out of all main cast, Maggie being the second worst.

9. mfinley

mfinley Member

What's funny is we've never seen the Glen who saved Rick from the tank ever since that one episode. He was wise cracking, confident totally different person on the radio and in his process to save Ricks bacon.

10. ApocalypseGal

ApocalypseGal Member

Exactly

11. Nachtbringer

Nachtbringer Member

I liked Glenn in S1 and S2. He is not one of my favorites but still.
    But they changed him in S3 and S4, I don't like him anymore at all.
    This guy is so annoying, it makes me really sad what they made of him.
    They destroyed his character like they did with Daryl or Andrea. (in my opinion)

If Glenn would have died in S1 or S2 it would have an impact on me, but if he dies now in S4 I could not care less.

12. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

They don't need to die (not both of them, maybe one so the other can develop/evolve individually) they need to be better written, Maggie has potential to be a comic book Andrea type of character, but Glenn should go then...

13. Lin731

Lin731 New Member

I really liked Glen in season 1 and 2, he was smart, daring and feisty. Now he's more concerned with being safe (which I totally get) but this isn't a safe world and never will be. I think the relationship has ruined him but only because the writers have treated them as stereotypical couple...aka...he's whipped now because he has a woman. Conversely she's stuck in the "I have to make sure it's okay with my man" before she does anything.

14. Suedeanthracite

I liked both Glenn and Maggie better when they were treated as individuals. As a couple, I find them less distinctive. I prefer Glenn, probably based upon his bravery in S1. Then I think about Maggie's introduction, riding up on her horse to the rescue and I am reminded that I found her interesting initially. Perhaps it is just me, but despite the romantic scenes, I just have a hard time seeing the chemistry between them.

15. Jenhaynes909

Jenhaynes909 Member

I agree I like them better apart. Together they both act weak. Maggie on her own is really pulled together. She is stronger without Glenn. Glenn makes her weak.

16. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Look what happens when you give a man something to lose. Sheesh.

17. Sparky

Sparky Member

18. SwayzeWalks

SwayzeWalks New Member

Idk about the whole "strength and manliness" thing, but I agree with you that the Glenn+Maggie relationship feels pretty forced and has completely overwhelmed all other aspects of his character. I'm all for a romance storyline, but they've really made him a one-dimensional character by making it the *only* thing he ever seems to think about or act upon.

19. quux

quux New Member

20. Zombies101

Zombies101 Member

After losing his entire family and friends along the way, it's pretty natural for Glenn to make Maggie his world. He never had a serious girlfriend before and it new to it all. Yet to me Glenn treats Maggie better than any other "couple" on the show. He doesn't talk AT her like Rick did with Lori.

They are meant to be the couple who can overcome even the end of the world. Or at least have hope for it.

When you know you might not live until the next day, it's pretty natural to make someone you want to live for your entire world.

Before a relationship with Maggie, Glenn was the guy they were sticking in wells as walker bait. He was thought of as the cute, sweet guy who would get stuff for everyone. She at least gave him a backbone to stand up for himself.

I hope they don't kill either one of them off. They have helped Rick and everyone else far too much to kill them off just because they are the one last romance on the show. It's the end of the world, let someone have regular sex. lol

#40 Zombies101, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013