Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Andrea's choice

Discussion in 'Episode 201 - What Lies Ahead' started by skittlesloli, Apr 21, 2013.

1. skittlesloli

skittlesloli Member

Something else that's been bugging me since watching S2 again (bugged me when I saw it the first time too).

Andrea got upset at Dale for blackmailing her into not getting herself blown up, right? I kinda backed her up on that, if she wanted to be gone he should've let her. But what I didn't appreciate from her was this sense of "choice" that was taken away from her and how Dale was "selfish" (even though I still agree with her that he should've left her).

When Amy got bit, S2/3 group would've just put her down and save her the suffering of a slow death.
    Granted, I know this was all still new to them at the time, and they're mostly lvl5 noobs in S1, but I felt Andrea was awfully selfish waiting for Amy to turn just so she could tell her sister's body that she's here on her birthday and put her down. I felt it was Andrea's way of clearing her conscience of always missing her sister's birthday, and maybe doing that last deed for Amy to prove she was there for her somehow; but nevertheless I feel waiting for the "turn" to do it was the most selfish thing for Andrea to do, to put a loved one through. Even Ed didn't have to turn, and he deserved to.

Maybe I'd be the same way if it were my little brother. Maybe I wouldn't be able to bring myself to shoot him unless he was trying to eat me, and maybe that's part of the reason she waited for Amy to turn. But I'm sure my brother would haunt my ass if I let him turn into a walker before putting him down, just like I'd haunt his if he did the same to me.
    It makes me think of that discussion you have with loved ones "If I'm ever a vegetable on life support, please pull the plug". If I was not in a position to make my own decision (cause I'm dead from a walker bite) I would hope that someone nearby would "pull the plug" before I turned.

I don't know, maybe I missed something?
    If your sibling/close family member got bit, would you wait for them to turn to say goodbye?

2. camous

camous Member

That's interesting however for me, Andrea was really in shock when Amy died plus this notion of choice being taken away appeared after Amy's death.

I think she had to see Amy as a walker to understand she was completely gone, she wasn't human. It's like when Milton still believe there is a human part in walkers, or Hershel see them as people. i guess it all change for Andrea when she realised her own sister was gone and this was just a brain dead ready to eat her in her arms not Amy.

Also the stranger in woodbury wasn't put down by Andrea but by the Gov and that shocked everyone there because it didn't even show emotion while Andrea was hesitating, you could feel she knew what she had to do but she was in front of people not ready for that.

Oh that's nice to have thread like that! Remembering good scene of the series :)

3. skittlesloli

skittlesloli Member

You're right, it was the Gov! I completely forgot, sorry bout that.

I see your point too, how she needed to see Amy was gone for good. I don't think she did it consciously, I agree she was mostly in shock, but she's struck me as a character who likes to be in control of things, like having a gun in S2, or trying to play diplomat in S3, I think that's what ended up bugging me.

4. skittlesloli

skittlesloli Member

Amy was still alive when Andrea got to her, she died in her arms; I see what you mean though, they wouldn't have been able to relieve her suffering any sooner because of the attack. Shock definitely came into play, I'm just glad they don't get so shocked anymore.

5. camous

camous Member

Oh yeah definitely I think Andrea was really controlling, you can tell by the scene with her and Amy in the boat when they are fishing and she keeps asking her about the way she has been taught fishing by their father.

But I think in the case of Amy's death she was in shock and then as her older sister she couldn't let anyone else put her down because I think in her mind she was responsible. Because Amy was the youngest she was no matter what under Andrea's responsibility for her, you can tell when she asked her where she is going and the second after Amy got bitten.

#5 camous, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  6. skittlesloli

skittlesloli Member

Good point!

7. deadforever1

deadforever1 New Member

I think Dale didnt want her to quit despite the end of the world.Dale had no one and he felt protective over her.I agreed with Dale, and as you can see Andrea did realize about Dale at his death.

Dale was more down to earth and the kind of guy no one took seriously, because they knew he was right....