Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Andrew J. West portrayal of Gareth

Discussion in 'Episode 501 - No Sanctuary' started by Dnae, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Wanted to take a moment and 'voice' my thoughts on the performance of Andrew J. West. Prior to him being cast on TWD I had not heard of him. Was wondering how such a cute, almost baby faced guy would pull off the villain leader of such a removed group of people who have lost all aspects of their humanity. What a great job he did of putting my concerns to rest. He was the personification of scary, creepy evil. Just wanted to offer my virtual kudos to Mr. West - great job scaring the bejeezus out of me.

2. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

You're right. I was almost sick when I watched Sam in the trough scene. I'm not grossed out easily, but the coldness of 'batter #1' and his ability to talk shop, in the midst- really put me in a depressed place. This entire compound (as far as we know) was set up as a 'do or die' response to the takeover, of the once peaceful Terminus.

G's recording of all things non/significant- with a nonchalant attitude makes me think he had evil in his heart before Terminus was sullied. He's like the ZA Ted Bundy- attractive, articulate, well dressed etc.

3. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Yeah he definitely plays the part well. He can play the smug overconfidence well. Gareth has been king shit as long as he can remember, so why should he be concerned with some soon-to-be-jerky that's threatening to kill him? So he reapplies the gag, pats him on the shoulder and begins to walk away. But he also plays the other side well. Once the propane bomb went off, you could tell he was NOT himself. He was worried. Despite taking round counts to prevent rebellion from within, he never thought he'd have to face such an explosive attack from outside. And in the coming episodes we should also be able to see yet another side of him-- vengeance.

obviously, I don't "like" him one bit. Then I'd be like a crazy Shane fan or something. ;) but I do find him absolutely intriguing as a bad guy, much like Joe. Gimple does everything awesome, but his bad guys are one of his best strong points.

#3 HondaS2kXD, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  4. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

Yes, as awful as a human being Gareth is and as much as I would LOVE to see Gareth get killed by Rick with the machete with the red handle, I will admit the fact that I have such strong feelings on him is a sign that he is an intriguing villain and how well Andrew West plays him (he's not the type you hate because he's an annoying character and you want him to get the hell off your screen). The fact that he and his group can do what they did to Sam and the others at the trough without the slightest bit of hesitation or guilt is so god damn creepy, and Gareth on the surface doesn't look threatening at all. However, once you see who Gareth truly is, you can just see how cocky he is, how he seems like the type to easily get under someone's skin and how he's enjoying what he's doing.

5. Undertaker

Undertaker Member

Gareth seems like the type who will crack under pressure very easily, exposing him as a weak leader. He will probably beg for Rick's mercy when Rick catches him. A more powerful leader, like the Governor would never beg for mercy.

6. HondaS2kXD

Oh yes.
    Speculstive comic spoilers

7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Ohhh Ted Bundy! What a perfect comparison, had not put those two together.

8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Yes, I am looking forward to the red handled machete meeting also (hence my sig).

9. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Joe was a great character, and the casting of Jeff Kober was perfect!

Mr. Gimple, I smile each and every time I listen/watch his interviews. I agree, he does everything awesome and seems to have a genuine passion not only for the TV show but also for the source material.

10. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Member

I was very impressed, but then again this show is great at casting lesser known actors and bringing them to fame. He plays the creepy, saddistic villain excellently, but also did a great job in the flashbacks. His performance makes the character seem like someone who's been through a lot, and when you make a character seem like someone who's been through so much without showing it, it's a sign of a good actor.

11. hackandslash

hackandslash Member

Haven't heard of the actor before. I guess that's okay because sometimes, the character becomes overshadowed by the actor itself. I mean, when I watch horror movies, I get more scared when I don't know the actor or actress. I do not have previous roles to compare his or her performance to.

Anyway, I love how the actor portrayed Gareth. He really made me angry and frustrated. At the same time, he made me feel sad and desperate when he and his group were imprisoned inside the container.

12. cakebythepound

I agree, I really enjoy his portrayal. Gareth has an interesting charm and is obviously intelligent, but has this crazy ability to be very emotionless and business-like. I also wondered how such a young guy became the leader there, it seems like he became somewhat of a savior when they were locked in that boxcar, almost like their Rick. I don't know if I want a lot more flashbacks, but it seems like a pretty interesting story.

I listened to a fairly long interview with the actor and I like that he doesn't look at himself as a villain. In reality, Gareth is someone that was prepared to eat his own brother, which is insane, but Andrew said he sympathizes with him, which I think helps him play the role so well and not as some one-dimensional antagonist.

13. Wombat

Wombat Member

thanks for starting this thread Dnae. Andrew j. West is perfect in this role.
    I hadn't heard of the actor either, before TWD and didn't know what to expect.

the vibe I've been getting off his Gareth performance is a 'turtle neck wearing, Silicon Valley" type that went off the deep end during the apocalypse. Think it's the business like attitude with that smooth talking. Whatever his backstory.... He's downright creepy.

great work on his part.... Because yes, he freaks me out. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. TyberiusFox

TyberiusFox Well-Known Member

I think he's doing a great job so far. And there's a chance the best has yet to come.

15. Stujoe

Stujoe Member

Gotta agree. A very compelling and interesting 'Bad Guy' that is well played and not the normal evil stereotype. I still want to see him dead but he is likable as well as creepy and evil. lol

I read an interview where he talked about the scene with Rick at the trough and how he really fed off AL's intensity. I hope for more good interaction between the 2.

16. Springsheen

Springsheen Member

I just thought he was hot.

God damn!

17. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

Not at all sure where your spoiler comes from, I do not always read those parts of the forum, but in my opinion, Gareth is nothing more than a bean counter. Up until now, others have been taking care of his dirty deeds. I think he will be back, but I I suspect he will be easily dispatched.

18. HondaS2kXD

Yeah. I agree. Basicslly, it boils down to Gareth surrendering and begging for his life after two shots. Lol. I'd say that's pretty easy.

19. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

Yeah

20. JimmyBones

JimmyBones Member

since the production pics, i thought he has that sinister thing down
    the stares between him and rick was intense.
    hopefully he makes it out of terminus so rick can kill him as promised