Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Annoyed at barn door scare

Discussion in 'Episode 510 - Them' started by Rickshair, Feb 16, 2015.

1. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl Member

If they show every moment then it might as well be zombie 24... the abrupt shift from violent storm to peaceful morning would have been way more thought provoking without the friggin commercials in the middle. BAD programming.

2. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Active Member

I sometimes go out to dairies here in eastern NM/west TX and load tankers.
    There are a few dairies where the houses are on the same property, and then there are plenty of other agricultural properties where it's nothing but out-buildings and equipment storage far from towns and houses.

As for the herd being destroyed by a tornado, we'll just have to leave that one to supposed freak weather conditions that lifted the trees and the Z's.
    It's just a show.
    I'm not going to let things like this drive me back to procedural cop show land.

3. Dearell68

Dearell68 New Member

At first I was thinking the same like everyone else, all that damage and the barn is safe & sound?

But like in the real world how many stories have we seen where one side of a block is demolished and the other side is barley touched. Or those freak thunder storms in the summer where it's dark & pouring rain then you look across the street and it's sunny.

4. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

Exactly, the weather killing the walkers doesn't surprise me at all. I've been thru lots of hurricanes where large trees take out cars,etc but somehow missed the house, or even vice versa. I did feel the jump to Maggie was abrupt but then if they showed everything I thinkit would be weirder. You would show everyone running away from the door when the storm was right outside and all teh snapping trees, etc attracting the walkers in teh wrong direction. I almost thought it was weird that Daryl was sitting right next to the door to tell you the truth.

5. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

ive vet been through more tornadoes, than I car to admit. I know this is fiction, but tornadoes can wreck havoc in one area and leave the nearest perimeter intact. It's just a fluke with how these things work.

nothing will you make you fall asleep faster than depression, stress and exhaustion.

thank you. We just had one this past June. It sounded like a freight train. Our patio was tossed around and four shingles came off of the roof. Our neighbors, on both sides- 3 fences down, roof partially taken off (on one of them), one of their mailboxes was found in the next subdivision.

I love symbolism & that is what I felt this was more than anything.

They've had/have walkers, alive evil people, the flu- why shouldn't a storm be part of the eastern coast?

It was just one more thing thrown in their path to see who, how and why they managed to cope.

6. the walking jet

what made a herd of walkers converge on the barn..

[​IMG]

7. DidHeSayDreet?

What could have been the most exciting scene of the show was glossed over and given a stupid conclusion. I guess they needed more time for sappy drama. I am VERY disappointed in the second half so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Darth_The_Dude

Darth_The_Dude New Member

How did the zombies know where the barn door was?

The tornado taking out the zombies were a bit lame. I would have rathered the crew woke up and dead zombie parts were everywhere while we are left to assume they TCOB (took care of mothaaafuggin business).

Also how did Carl just leave baby Judith on the floor!

9. Dreet

Dreet Well-Known Member

I think it was more metaphorical, the struggle between good and evil, our survivors representing the side of goodness and the fight to stay alive while pushing back the evil that has come knocking on their door.

10. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was a dream, but it did pass quickly through my mind because they went to commercial with them holding back the doors and the next scene shown was Maggie waking up. So I can understand where some people could've been confused at first. Once they stepped outside though it was clear that wasn't the case.

With the Tyreese episode and now the "miracles" that you outlined it's possible they are heading in some sort of spiritual direction with the show. If that's the case they need to take a detour back. I don't think that they make that element work. I thought it did with Hershel's faith to an extent. That was subtle, and at times even powerful when he was helping the people with the virus. But to me this recent stuff is really heavy handed and not a good fit for TWD.

11. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

Maybe they didn't handle it well but I think religion is an excellent topic to explore in the apocalypse.

12. bluesfan

bluesfan Active Member

I didn't like the vagueness between the zombie attack and then waking up. Perhaps it was "an act of God" to restore some faith to those who need to be lifted up.

13. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I agree if it's a matter of destroying Maggie's belief, or Father Gabriel questioning his faith, but if they start creating veiled miracles it's going too far for this show.

LOST was a show that tackled spirituality pretty deeply from its onset, and I found it intriguing early on in their run, but I don't think they closed the deal well in the end.

14. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

Oh I agree. I don't want this to become Touched by an Angel or anything. I just meant the questioning of faith would be a major topic in a situation like this.

15. SZQ

SZQ Member

The first three people that went to the barn door were the three people questioning their will to go on. Just like when Beth chose to live (Andrea too), Daryl, Maggie, and Sasha chose to fight on. Father Gabriel was the last to go, but he ultimately chose to fight to live.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Darylette

Darylette Member

I loved this scene, I thought it was beautifully shot. Perfect. I'm also glad to see our team battling the elements, they haven't had to do it much so far. Weather can be dangerous.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I believe it was this episode or 11, that filming was halted because of bad weather.
    That night, just outside of Atlanta, a tornado was spotted.
    That same system, killed someone in Alabama.

#37 Sharpie61, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  18. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Member

When it cut to Maggie, I was furious. It felt like a cop out - they ran out of ideas of how they could survive, so they just cut away. We've been due an action scene for some time, and would have made for a great scene. Then it just stopped.

Then of course, it showed the tree, and the zombies under it. I rolled my eyes. Taking a spiritual route with the show now I see.

19. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I felt pretty disoriented, too, when we saw Maggie waking up and the storm was long over. That was the only part of the episode that left me scratching my head, not in a good way. But now that I've thought about it a bit, I suppose if we'd actually seen the trees falling, missing the house, and killing the walkers, that would have been too heavy-handed. I suppose the writers wanted to focus on Maggie and Sasha's wonder at walking outside and discovering what had happened.

Personally, I really like the direction the back half has taken, but I'm the type who loves symbolism. TPTB have said that they like to switch things up a bit in every half season, so it seems 5b will be more "artsy" than others. I think it's up to us do interpret whether we think Tyreese's hallucinations and the "miracles" are the result of coincidences, reflections of the group's strength of will, divine intervention, etc., and that's the fun of it for me. But I understand how others aren't liking it if that's not their thing. (I am not at all religious, btw.)

20. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Just as well. The show isn't good at showing the movement of big heavy objects.