Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Annoying issues with this episode

Discussion in 'Episode 201 - What Lies Ahead' started by MaxBrooks, Oct 18, 2011.

1. MaxBrooks

MaxBrooks New Member

Im tired of seeing this happen over and over in the show. WHY DO THEY NOT CARRY blunt weapons with them everywhere? Guns bring zombies, quiet bludgeoning weapons only give off wet thumps as you beat them over the head. These people have been in the wild fighting off zombies for a month and they dont have makeshift bludgeoning weapons? What happened to their shovels? Their pick-axes? More importantly, bludgeoning weapons dont require ammunition. With Remington, Winchester, Black Wolf etc munition factories no longer producing ammo, ammo is now in finite supply WORLDWIDE! Furthermore, none of the characters know how to manufacture modern gunpowder. Even if they could manufacture modern gunpowder, they dont have the capability to manufacture primers for Center Fire ammunition. All modern ammunition require primers. They are wasting Ammo. A LOT!

Heres the next annoying thing in the movie. They repeatedly hit the zombies to the point where their brains are spewing everywhere. The TS-19 episode tells you that the brain matter is infected. WHY would you hit something so much that infected flesh flies everywhere? Possibly into your mjouth and eye and possibly infecting yourself? Its dumb. Why wouldnt you have something that protects your face?

Heres the next thing.
    In the last scene we see Carl the boy being shot after an over penetrating hit through the deer. So the bullet hit the deer began deformation/expansion then struck the boy. From the location of the blood stain it struckby his liver. The liver is a vascular organ, that boy should blled out before they get anywhere. Lets pretend for a moment that the bullet which expanded beyond its normal width missed his liver and struck his intestines. The intestines are filled with a plethora of normal flora meaning the intestines are filled with bacteria. Any perforating wound into the intestines releases these bacteria into the central body cavity. The central body cavity is a moist, warm, dark and food rich place. If the boy survived the shot would cause him to have peritonitis. On top of leaking acidic gastric juices into the body. On top of a massive infection.

So he survives the bacterial infestation of his body without Antibiotics. WHO is going to cut him open and sew up his intestines? Nobody.

So the magical bullet that was fired from a book repository missed his liver and his intestines, and exited through his back. Bullet exit holes MASSIVE compared to entry wounds. Allowing an infection to set in.

So the magical bullet that was fired from a texas book repository, flew through time, and across the United States to hit buck, over penetrate, miss the boy's intestines, his liver and not exit is not somewhere in his body. It needs to be removed. Who is going to cut him open in a sterile field and find that bullet. NO one.

#1 MaxBrooks, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. CoffeeZombie

CoffeeZombie New Member

I have to agree. There are getting to be a lot of annoying and implausible things. There is so much zombie brain flying around, they would all be infected by now. In 28 Days Later a guy is infected after a single drop of blood gets in his eye. That feels more real.

I was a little underwhelmed by the premier as well, why not go bigger? It was just a bit of driving and looking for the girl. No big set pieces, chase scenes or battles. There was decent tension with them under the cars, waiting for the walkers to pass, but in one shot it looked like there were all of 14 zombies. C'mon folks, CGI a few hundred walkers in the long shot and I'd be much more spooked.

I was slightly please to hear the Rick character say why he couldn't carry the girl, one of those why-this-initially-seems-stupid-but-there-is-a-slightly-plausible-reason explanations. Honestly, there could be WAY more of those in the show.

A lot of the dialog is a bit tortured for me: Rick's monologues to Morgan, that God-awful heartwarming discussion between the sisters in the boat, the multiple talk-out-loud-with-God bits in the church (without a steeple, but there are BELLS, what the heck?), Andrea's rant to Dale about the gun and getting her out of the CDC. There should be so much to work with in the premise, it's honestly frustrating.

Ugh, I hope it gets better...

3. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

The zombie "rules" don't bother me too much. It's a show, so there are always going to be little mistakes here and there. If I notice them I try to overlook them and move on.

The two things that bugged me the most about Episode 201?

1. As Coffee mentions above, the opening monologue. The whole scene felt clunky and unnecessary. "The doctor at the CDC told me something. He told me....he told me....well, it's not important". WTF is that?!? Cheesy and totally unecessary. I'll have to go back and check, but I think I even saw Rick look directly into the camera at one point. This scene felt like it was written and directed by a four year old.

2. The gutting of the walker in the woods. While it was cool in way for seeing Nicotero's awesome work, it was also too long and too silly. Even if the thing had eaten Sophia, I don't think there would be much of a way to notice. This isn't like the shark gutted in Jaws. There wouldn't be whole bones or license plates coming out of the thing. Just chunks of chewed flesh. Again, i've got no problem with the display of gore, but this just seemed a bit contrived and they dwelled on it waaaayyy too long.

4. MaxBrooks

MaxBrooks New Member

What's wrong with talking about flyfishing? I regularly sit around a table and yammer for hours and hours with other people about presentation regarding wet and dry fly presentations! =) LOL

The opening monologues I think are better than Church/religous scenes that keep popping up.

5. CoffeeZombie

CoffeeZombie New Member

Well brother, what they did there is called deductive reasoning: Guts contain woodchuck, Sophia is not a woodchuck, ergo, Sophia ain't been nibbled on by that there walker.

I did the same thing at first, thought, what are they going to tell from a hunk of bloody, pulpy tissue? That walker did a fine job of swallowing the woodchuck skeleton intact, thank goodness, or them results woulda been inconclusive.

6. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Exactly my point. If the walker hadn't swallowed the whole skull(which raises questions of its own...), they would have just had flesh in there. So they got lucky with any kind of skeleton. Otherwise it would've been meat and blood. "Anything in there?" "Flesh" "Is it Sophias?" "How the f*ck should I know?". lol

Just all seemed too fishy. Almost like they were trying to one-up gore scenes of past episodes rather than tell an engaging story.

#6 Bassman, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  7. MaxBrooks

MaxBrooks New Member

That whole scene is there just to show some gore. When the camera pans down and you see daryl cutting with his knife, it looks like hes cutting through the ribcage. In a human body you dont need to cut through the ribcage to get to the stomach. Two or three easy motions with a sharp knife will bring you to the stomach. Not 30 seconds of hack and slash.

8. Loc

Loc Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah that scene was a little weird. Personally I just think they did it for the gross out factor.

9. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

I'm with you Bass! Watching some of those behind-the-scenes shows the honcho’s actually look like they're bragging about getting this level of gore past the censors. Please AMC, we don’t want gore for gores sake, just give us appropriate gore within the context of a well-thought-out story for ****s sake!!

10. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

Many minor annoyances (but nothing that kept me from enjoying my favorite show on television):
    1) Why would Shane dump bottled water over his head during THE END OF THE WORLD???
    2) Did people really die sitting upright at the wheel in their cars?
    3) Why didn’t they “turn”?
    4) Why weren’t they eaten?
    5) Why did T-Dawg look like he was bleeding to death then later that day appear fine with merely a bandage on?
    6) Why did nothing happen when Daryl threw a fresh, bloody, dead walker on top of the very open-wounded T-Dawg?
    7) Why did nothing happen when Andrea got walker blood in her eyes and mouth?
    8) Why did NOBODY help Rick with the 2 walkers chasing Sofia?
    9) WHY weren't walkers swarming to the church after the "bells" rang???
    10) Did the parishioners die sitting in their pews or did walkers decide to get comfy after being locked inside the church???
    11) What happened during the nearly 2 days between fleeing the CDC and leaving the city???

11. AVC

AVC Member

Well, about ballistics.
    Jacketed NATO rounds are NOT designed to kill you. Yes, really. The projectile is really pointy and boat tailed so they fly straight. Through the air and through the body. They are designed to give a through and through wound. Why? So the enemy uses 4 times the resources on wounded than they would on KIAs.

Pistol rounds are different. They are lead and blunt. They flatten out when they hit the target to spread out and transfer more stopping power. Any slug that hits bone will deflect and cause spall damage.

So quite easily, the deer could have had a slug go through it and then hit the boy. The velocity would have been lower so it may have not penetrated the abdominal cavity. Have to wait till next episode.

12. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

I think I might have an actual reason for the dead in the cars, being dead-dead. It's Georgia, middle of summer, and all the car windows were closed. They reanimated when they died and sat in the cars until thier brains cooked from the heat. I think that would be plausible.

13. KPandoraStar

KPandoraStar Member

1) Bad idea, but after what they've been through I can understand the impulse. Two things they can't completely convey to us are how hot it is there, and how much everybody must absolutely reek. Of all people I'd think Shane would have more sense than to do that, but I guess if I were standing in front of a few dozen gallon jugs, I'd be tempted to do the same. This is where something the size of an RV would come in handy, too -- I'd take up every last inch of usable space and fill it with water jugs.

2, 3 & 4) My husband and I had the same discussion about the dead in the cars, and we came to the same conclusion. But it does come down to the nature of the "zombification." Have we seen people who have just plain died of natural causes and not reanimated? If that's a possibility, it would be easy to picture people trapped in their cars with walkers all around them, slowly starving/cooking to death. But if you reanimate when you die no matter how it happens, I'll still go with Casca's explanation.

5) Eh... TV. Maybe fake blood is more expensive than we think it is :)

6 & 7) This is another place where I wish we had a clearer explanation of how and why people 'turn.' Back in Atlanta, they took every precaution to avoid coming in contact with walker blood, but during the cleanup after the camp invasion and in several episodes after this one, it's on clothes, in people's faces and on their hands. I'd love to have a rule book on how the infection works, but in a way I suppose it's better for the writers to keep it ambiguous and just hope that we're willing to suspend disbelief.

8) We know how Shane feels: stay with the group, no matter what. Lori stopped Carol from going after them, and she absolutely should have; the woman was hysterical and would have gotten herself and possibly others killed. I am a little disappointed in Daryl, but my expectations for him exceed what I expect of just about everyone else.

9 & 10) I'd think that the herd of walkers that passes through would have still been relatively nearby and would have been attracted to the sound too. As I'm sure I'll mention again, I don't know anything about rural Georgia, but if it's anything like rural North Dakota, then yes -- at the end of the world, people would have stayed in the church pews until they died.

11) I enjoy this show enough that if they covered every second of what every character did, from the moment the first walker rose from the dead up until the last human on earth took its dying breath, I would watch it. Sadly, there's only so much air time and so much the writers can cover. I'll just assume that in those two days, nothing especially trying happened.

14. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

15. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

Many minor annoyances (but nothing that kept me from enjoying my favorite show on television):
    1) Why would Shane dump bottled water over his head during THE END OF THE WORLD???

Water doesn’t seem to be a problem for them yet since they can just boil pond water, or any other water they find.

2) Did people really die sitting upright at the wheel in their cars?

I’m going with the other person’s theory here that they died, turned and died again although I would like to know how they died that way in the first place

3) Why didn’t they “turn”?
    See answer to # 2

4) Why weren’t they eaten?

The windows were shut and the zombies had easier prey to go after (or they died first and we know zombies don’t eat the dead)

5) Why did T-Dawg look like he was bleeding to death then later that day appear fine with merely a bandage on?

He didn’t get the name T-Dawg for nuthin!

6) Why did nothing happen when Daryl threw a fresh, bloody, dead walker on top of the very open-wounded T-Dawg?

I don’t know if the show follows the rules of the comic but according to the comic (and even the book , Rise of the govenor), the zombie bites have deadly bacteria that kill a person (kind of like a komono dragon)….actually dying is what causes them to re-animate, as in Everyone is a walker once they die now…I don’t know if touching a zombies skin or even blood splatter can cause infections like saliva can. Remember the virus isn’t passed from the walkers.

7) Why did nothing happen when Andrea got walker blood in her eyes and mouth?

I’m with you on this one, I mean she was covered in it. My only guess is that the walker blood isn’t what causes infection

8) Why did NOBODY help Rick with the 2 walkers chasing Sofia?

There were other people to protect as well and they wanted to make Rick look good.

9) WHY weren't walkers swarming to the church after the "bells" rang???

I don’t remember if they were there long enough for walkers to even have a chance to show up

10) Did the parishioners die sitting in their pews or did walkers decide to get comfy after being locked inside the church???

Lol, good one. I’m with you on the “why the heck do so many die sitting up” thing. As for the walkers just sitting, they have shown this before (comics and show). The walker that Rick beats up with the bat when he’s hanging with morgan and morgan’s son was just chilling out sitting down till they came close to it.

11) What happened during the nearly 2 days between fleeing the CDC and leaving the city???

Probably driving, sleeping and keeping lookout

My only complaint is why does Rick's hair always look so neatly groomed (buzzed and faded), WTH? I could see getting a trim here and there but not being THAT perfectly groomed, lol....it gets longer in the comic book

All the little annoyances aside, this is still my current favorite TV show and I hope they keep up the good work.

#15 mtamborra, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  16. ldncalling

ldncalling Member

Agree about Shane but Daryl was further up the road dealing with T-Dog so I'm not disappointed in him - I'm more surprised that Glenn didn't help.

17. KPandoraStar

KPandoraStar Member

Fair enough. Like I said, higher expectations. I won't believe that he can't be in two places at once until I see him try and fail. :)

18. ldncalling

ldncalling Member

They have started showing the second season again on FXUK and they cut down this episode to fit it into an hour - I noticed that they cut down this scene but kept enough so you got the gist. They also cut out Shane finding the water - so one minute he's bone dry and the next he's soaked to the skin getting under the vehicle. They also cut out Andrea asking for her gun back from Dale and a few little bits so if you hadn't already seen the full episode (which I have) some of the comments on this thread and in TWD itself would be a bit confusing. It is almost as if they've read of the points made in this thread.

19. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

This is a myth and would violate the Geneva convention.

The .223 Remington and 5.56 Nato (yes, there is a slight difference between the two and you should never use 5.56 Nato in a .223 chamber) are designed for killing. The .223 is a .22cal projectile that was originally designed for varmint hunting. The idea behind being adopted by the Military was to provide a more compact and light weight cartridge. So they bumped up the cartridge to the 5.56 Nato. In theory, the smaller round would still be leathal to people due to things such as cavitation and Spalling. Basically the round would tare stuff up bouncing around or creating a void causing organs to collapse etc.

Now whether or not the .223/5.56 is efficient or as lethal as previous rounds like the 45 ACP or 7.62, well that depends on who you ask I suppose. There is enough heated debates over that subject to really going starting a new one. I'll just say I believe it's time our Military got an up grade in calibers. There is enough new but yet light weight calibers available today like the 6.5 Grendal and 6.8 SPC.

20. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member

Precisely what I think every time I see something about infected blood/brains/flesh being everywhere. BUT they have never said that they know this for sure so wouldn't it seem they would continue to take extra precaution??? They have seemed to become extremely careless about that whole issue since the "Guts" episode when they mutilated the dead walker and used a shield and other "protective" equipment. :hatchet: